Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

I saw that there was some sort of Mormon council leak video recently. Was there anything juicy inside?

They have a lot of money (no surprise) and they spend a lot of money on furniture. No real scandals.

QuarkJets posted:

"
Everyone likes to think of Mormons as being the crazy weirdo christians, but really that's just because everyone forgets how weird and hosed up the old and new testaments are. Every religion has its weird stories

Yes, but not all religions do things like baptize holocaust victims so they can get to heaven or any of the litany of kooky social stuff to keep their members entire lives focused around the church.

I don't want to start a Mormon digression, but they are there own special brand of crazy.

Outside the church though, like I said before, very nice people.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Endorph posted:

hypothetically, what even happens if a third party candidate actually wins the election?
The other two probably sue him and/or each other until the entire country grinds to a halt (see: Belgium at the turn of the decade, Norm Coleman in 2008)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Inferior Third Season posted:

They become president?

They work with the party they most align with in Congress and collapse under pressure because they have absolutely no connections to anyone outside of their tiny party.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pakled posted:

It's hard to predict how well a third-party president would be able to work with Congress.
yeah this is what i was asking

incidentally it got buried under the trump stuff but johnson's VP had the amazing quote of

quote:

WELD: I’m not sure anybody’s more qualified than Hillary Clinton to be President of the United States.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The Times fought the federal government in court for the right to publish classified documents and won.

And this is one of two landmark Supreme Court decisions that the Times has won.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Hitler B. Natural posted:

He doesn't say this is at all likely to happen. In fact he explicitly states it isn't. Just that it's not impossible.

*clickbaiting intensifies*

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

To be completely and utterly fair to Gary Johnson, he is the second most qualified person running for president. It's Hillary >>>>>>>> Johnson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> McMuffin > Stein > Trump, give or take a few >s

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Endorph posted:

hypothetically, what even happens if a third party candidate actually wins the election?

In this specific election? Results are thrown out and the US and EU impose crippling sanctions on Russia as well as send troops to, at minimum, kick them out of the Ukraine. Moderate chance of World War III beginning.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
in the specific case where Gary Johnson is awarded the presidency by the house, following getting all of 7% of the vote and 1% of the electoral college, probably a war.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

iospace posted:

To be completely and utterly fair to Gary Johnson, he is the second most qualified person running for president. It's Hillary >>>>>>>> Johnson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> McMuffin > Stein > Trump, give or take a few >s

where does gloria la riva fit into this?

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
A co-worker revealed on Friday that he has a family member who works on Bush Sr's staff. Per their relative the mention of Trump's name in private reliably results in multiple minutes of quality ranting at high volume.

Which we all suspected. But having it confirmed is nice.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
My favorite thing about Bill Watterson is that the most overt political stand he ever took was against rigid newspaper comic section formatting.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Stereotype posted:

My favorite thing about Bill Watterson is that the most overt political stand he ever took was against rigid newspaper comic section formatting.

didn't he do political cartoons for a little while in the carter years?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

iospace posted:

You left out Harambe

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
my grandmother had a mini-stroke yesterday and was in the hospital recovering and the doctor asked "do you know what's in the news" and she said "a presidential election" and he said "yeah, but who's running" and she said "that loving rear end in a top hat" and everyone laughed but she still needed to be specific

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Please be real and not a shop :pray:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nessus posted:

You left out Harambe

votes out for harambe

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

http://www.snopes.com/donald-trumps-parents-kkk/

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Giuliani kept babbling about how Trump had to take those tax deductions because if he didn't, then his investors would be able to sue him.

Is there any truth to this?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

Giuliani kept babbling about how Trump had to take those tax deductions because if he didn't, then his investors would be able to sue him.

Personal Taxes, not business.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Son of a bitch!

Thanks.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mr Interweb posted:

No.

His business doesn't have any stockholders but Donald Himself.

And he owes no fiduciary duty to mere creditors that he owes money to.

It's complete Mr Mayor bullshit - what a surprise

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Mr Interweb posted:

Not only were these personal taxes, not business, but Trump has no investors.

Also Giuliani is a clown and nothing he ever says is true.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Mr Interweb posted:

If investors can sue Trump for paying more than required in personal income taxes what is to stop investors from suing Trump for stuffing his face with fast food when it would be more cost efficient to eat Ramen? So no, there is not truth to it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

Maybe he was referring to this myth: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...m=.6a9c5c3f702e

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 220 days!

sit on my Facebook posted:

So it was a couple pages ago but USPOL Oct: A Song of Whites and Ire

Chronicles of USPol Oct: The Liar, the Snitch, and the Tax Returns.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

This is what I get for giving someone like Giuliani the benefit of the doubt.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mr Interweb posted:

This is what I get for giving someone like Giuliani the benefit of the doubt.

The fact that you gave anyone in the Trump camp the benefit of the doubt should have been your first hint.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm starting to think these guys are just completely lying about what 'fiduciary duty' means to try and make shithead CEO behavior some kind of cosmic inevitability.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

SocketWrench posted:

I think his brain will just break and leave him as a vegetable once Hillary wins

So, basically the ending of What About Bob?

Hillary:  I do solemnly swear
Trump: Nnnnn...
Hillary:  that I will faithfully execute the Office Of President of the United States
Trump: Nnnnnnnnn...
Hillary: and will to the best of my ability
Trump: Nnnnnnnnnnnn...
Hillary: preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
Trump: Nooooooooooo!!!!!!

Magres posted:

I need a TV show about Tim Kaine facts called Tim Kaine: Dadliest Catch

What we need is a reality tv show where we convince Trump that he won the election, and watch him try to govern.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Hitler B. Natural posted:

He doesn't say this is at all likely to happen. In fact he explicitly states it isn't. Just that it's not impossible.

So exactly what he said about Trump winning the GOP primary?

:derp: :derp: :derp:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nessus posted:

I'm starting to think these guys are just completely lying about what 'fiduciary duty' means to try and make shithead CEO behavior some kind of cosmic inevitability.

it kinda sorta falls apart just a bit when you realize that literally everybody who worked for or with Trump except for Trump got stuck with the bill for his actions

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
A hedge fund manager with a tax background makes some guesses about how Trump could have declared the loss without having to take a $916m personal bath:

http://brontecapital.blogspot.com.au/2016/10/some-comments-on-new-york-times-story.html

e: To add a little more, Trump either personally lost nearly a billion dollars or (more likely) used a (most likely illegal) offshore vehicle to benefit from both bankruptcy and the tax deduction.

Smeef fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 2, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

i think we're gonna get drugged out teleprompter trump giving a concession speech on tuesday night, followed by an angry tweet storm about how "crooked Hillary stole the election" the next day.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Kaepernick swiping his thumb like he's playing angry birds. Get those pigs, Kap

oops wrong thread

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Instant Sunrise posted:

i think we're gonna get drugged out teleprompter trump giving a concession speech on tuesday night, followed by an angry tweet storm about how "crooked Hillary stole the election" the next day.

lol if you think they'll be able to keep him on the teleprompter moments after he loses the election for president of the united states

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Augus posted:

lol if you think they'll be able to keep him on the teleprompter moments after he loses the election for president of the united states

Yeah did you see this last rally of his? He had a teleprompter and he basically ignored it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Which would instantly render the election invalid. There would be inarguable proof of a coordinated attempt to hijack the election and the results wouldn't be accepted.

The US does not have any rules and procedures for resolving a disputed election beyond recounts and "welp, let's see which candidate the Supreme Court likes more". There is zero precedent for "welp, the election's invalid, let's have a do-over", ever. At best, the results for the entire disputed voting machine might get tossed. Hell, prior to Bush v. Gore, the Supreme Court typically held that the federal government did not have the power to interfere with election results even in cases of obvious fraud, and it's likely that an 8-member court is going to punt similarly. Election fraud is a big deal even if it's discovered, because our system is not robust enough to handle it.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

if the link was posted before election day, the government would know and have security protocols in place

The federal government has no power over elections, which are exclusively under the control of state and local governments. The federal government isn't even allowed to send election observers to polling places, let alone tell them how to run their security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Augus posted:

okay good point.

they're going to TRY and have him on prompter and he's basically going to go off script right away and it will be an amazing trainwreck

• Locked thread