Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Sab669 posted:

Dumb question; can I Craft a mod onto a ring and then use an Orb to upgrade it's quality and still retain the Crafted mod?

Yes, regal orbs preserve all existing mods, including crafted ones. But you probably don't want to bother regaling stuff unless it's super super good or you know what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
For Vortex, is there a significant dps difference between pyre+southbound vs hrimburn?

It just means you'd spec fire damage for pyre but cold damage for hrimburn right?

Is the benefit of pyre that you'd Never get frozen enemies, so you'd Always ignite?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jinnigan posted:

For Vortex, is there a significant dps difference between pyre+southbound vs hrimburn?

It just means you'd spec fire damage for pyre but cold damage for hrimburn right?

Is the benefit of pyre that you'd Never get frozen enemies, so you'd Always ignite?

Cold damage doesn't scale the burn. But I think Hrimburn is better because you're not locking up a ring slot and the skill tree numbers aren't much different.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
My instincts say pyre + southbound for life, hrimburn for CI

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Anyone done cospri malice CI trickster? In the process of respeccing my trapper to mess around with it since I already had most of the gear from my mjolner dude plus a 5l voll chest and a sweet +2 aura 300es hat I just made. Just curious what's been tried/done and what worked best.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Jinnigan posted:

why would you need southbound with pyre?

i think its really pyre vs hrimburn. give up a glove slot vs a ring.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Awesome! posted:

why would you need southbound with pyre?

i think its really pyre vs hrimburn. give up a glove slot vs a ring.

so you can prolif off the corpses.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is that necessary with the prolif from elementalist? seems like a waste of a slot to me.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

My instincts say pyre + southbound for life, hrimburn for CI

Can you say more? Is it just cuz you can run RF with life?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Southbounds give +% maximum life, which is pretty good for any life-based build. Meanwhile, there's no problem putting a no ES glove on a CI build as you can safely make up the ES on other armour slots such as your chest and shield.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Rurutia posted:

Still need reliable enough to not run Chance to Ignite IMO, but my ignite does shittons of dmg. And I will run with conc effect even for clearing and depend on ignite to clear.

Only difference between our specs/gear is that I take the flask nodes and I have flask mods on my belt. So I have 2 less jewels and I think my amulet doesn't give me as much dmg as yours.

I think the flask nodes makes a lot of difference? Because I disagree with a lot of this. I run reduced regen and vuln maps fine even if my regen doesn't cover the degen fully without a ruby flask, since I can reliability hit near 100% flask uptime and just toggle off when I hit a dry patch (rare). I do this while carrying 3 man health, (as in the MFer and the boss killer inquisitor are usually trying to just stay apace of me with movement skills and I'm still usually a screen ahead). I never run -max resists or no regen though, you're right on that one, but they don't come up often enough to make a big enough dent in my chaos pool.

For reflect, my RF kills most white mobs, so I don't cast very often but usually by the time I cast with ruby flask up, I barely take any damage because there aren't very many mobs left. I did a fast t14 ele reflect map a couple days ago.

I run with a MFer in my 4man group that has a pathfinder bv main that killed shaper a couple weeks ago and basically only has mirror worthy gear left to upgrade to. He thought the clear speed was insane, and like I said, usually in the groups I run in, everyone just spams movement skills to keep up with me.

I really should just record a video cause I don't know why my experience is so different than yours.

I've been trying things a bit more similar to you, I didn't think Alchemist would be very noticeable but boy was I wrong, it immediately jumps out how much better the flasks get and turns 6% max res on a flask to 7%.

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?
I found some gloves :pwn:
(That life on kill though)

Maybe I can finally buy that Vinktar flask.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I've been trying things a bit more similar to you, I didn't think Alchemist would be very noticeable but boy was I wrong, it immediately jumps out how much better the flasks get and turns 6% max res on a flask to 7%.

Yeah Alchemist wheel are some of the best nodes in the tree if you are at all dependent on utility flasks. And right now with 'flask meta' basically a good build should always be, hah.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
How long until next league?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
we're almost exactly a month into Essence League, so probably December

edit: get a goddamn avatar I never know it's you when I'm replying

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Soothing Vapors posted:

edit: get a goddamn avatar I never know it's you when I'm replying

:(

So unlucky again. Second time vaaling my final normal map, core and it turns in to a phoenix map. First time around it turned in to vaal temple.

At least all these maps dropped in it.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Awesome! posted:

is that necessary with the prolif from elementalist? seems like a waste of a slot to me.

Without southbound you'll destroy everything you ignite and there is no prolif without a corpse.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I don't think it's necessary on guardians etc, but yeah, if you're one shotting things with Vortex, it's good to have. Thinking about setting up an alternate gloves with the +30% dot dmg for my RF link for guardians/shaper.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

nearly killed em! posted:

and there is no prolif without a corpse.
i feel like i am missing something here.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Awesome! posted:

i feel like i am missing something here.

Basically if an enemy walks into prolif range of a corpse that is still burning than the burn will stick to them. If the enemy shatters than the burn essentially just ends, stopping the proliferation.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

Basically if an enemy walks into prolif range of a corpse that is still burning than the burn will stick to them. If the enemy shatters than the burn essentially just ends, stopping the proliferation.

To be totally clear here, only living enemies and corpses can proliferate. Any effect that removes a corpse stops proliferation. Shattering from freeze, exploding the corpse from Pyre/Obliteration/That Occultist Passive/Abyssal Cry that's like Obliteration means the corpse is gone and can not proliferate. A proliferating corpse stops proliferating if removed by Animate Zombie/Animate Spectre/Detonate Dead/Any Offering.

This is why Freeze Proliferation isn't really a thing and Elemental Conflux only gives Chill instead of Freeze. Pyre has a quirk where the corpse exploding effect only works if your hit actually kills the enemy, where ignite will not remove the corpse. So if you wear Southbound, your hits can never kill the enemy and the corpse will always stick around.

Bonus tip: the mechanic for proliferation is the same as the mechanic for those loving Porcupine Goliaths, meaning no corpse = no spike explosion. If you want something any character can use to mitigate those fuckers, Abyssal Cry will stop them from blowing up in your face.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 3, 2016

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Ultima66 posted:

Bonus tip: the mechanic for proliferation is the same as the mechanic for those loving Porcupine Goliaths, meaning no corpse = no spike explosion. If you want something any character can use to mitigate those fuckers, Abyssal Cry will stop them from blowing up in your face.

I wish the game was more consistent about that, because stuff like fire dogs and tar zombies will do their on-death thing no matter what.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Is there a way to make a tri-curse CI Vortex-Ignite build? I'm mainly concerned about itemization. I'm already using Pyre+Southbound to enable Vortex-Ignite, and probably using Doryani's Catalyst as a mainhand. Since I'm CI I need to use Auxium and/or Eye of Chayla so I don't get frozen all the time. For Tri-Curse I'd probably need to use Doedre's Damning? This seems like a LOT of uniques, and would make it pretty hard to keep my resists at full. Any ideas or suggestions on how I could make this work?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Occultist. Whispers of Doom on the passive tree gives you +1, Malediction ascendancy the other.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Hmm. Profane Bloom and Chaos Damage really not synergistic with Vortex damage at all.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
So my doom fletch tornado shot ranger is lvl 42 now and is squishy a.f. she hits super hard but Izaro just 1shot me in labs normal and normal doerdre did the same. I'm following neversinks general guide. Am I missing something? I'm wearing some lower level uniques for the bonuses but it doesn't seem like I should be getting 1shotted by normal bosses even without super up to date, tanky gear, right?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Peewi posted:

I'm level 62 and partway through Act 3 on Merciless and appear to be somewhat underleveled. Is there a good and/or safe way to get some levels? I'm getting tired of dying and losing all my XP.

Spend a few levels at the Docks. It makes a pretty big difference if those levels are spent on defensive nodes, and free loot/currency is always nice. Think I was 65 last time I did merc domi.

Gejimayu posted:

So my doom fletch tornado shot ranger is lvl 42 now and is squishy a.f. she hits super hard but Izaro just 1shot me in labs normal and normal doerdre did the same. I'm following neversinks general guide. Am I missing something? I'm wearing some lower level uniques for the bonuses but it doesn't seem like I should be getting 1shotted by normal bosses even without super up to date, tanky gear, right?

Give up damage for more HP in your non-unique slots and respec a few points into defensive nodes if needed. Hitting hard is always less important than staying alive to keep hitting. Look into optimizing your flasks, they've got a ton of new shiny defensive flasks compared to launch, like the 20% reduced phys damage one. Get a decoy totem if you don't have one, and use it religiously.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 4, 2016

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

If I put my Vortex in a 30% more ele damage helmet, what'd be a good skill to put in a 5 or 6link in my chest?

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 4, 2016

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Could you get +80% fire damage using liege of the primordial, cold+fire golems, and pyre?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Just had a Shavronne's drop. I figure we've got two months in the league and I can make back my currency in a month or so if I really want to make a new LL build so I'm going to sell it. Does selling it unlinked for like 7ex sound like a good idea or should I see about 6l it- I still need two 6ls for my actual character.

Also I need some advice for what to blow my ill-gotten gains on: SimoSayunaHaya

I need to upgrade my rares so I can get more life and ele weakness cap (plus maybe some extra stats like fire damage, armor, flask life, etc), I need a couple jewels- looking for life and fire/area damage, and I need to 6l my Quill Rains. Any suggestions on what to focus on first?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Jinnigan posted:

Could you get +80% fire damage using liege of the primordial, cold+fire golems, and pyre?
That sounds correct.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ultima66 posted:

To be totally clear here, only living enemies and corpses can proliferate. Any effect that removes a corpse stops proliferation. Shattering from freeze, exploding the corpse from Pyre/Obliteration/That Occultist Passive/Abyssal Cry that's like Obliteration means the corpse is gone and can not proliferate. A proliferating corpse stops proliferating if removed by Animate Zombie/Animate Spectre/Detonate Dead/Any Offering.

This is why Freeze Proliferation isn't really a thing and Elemental Conflux only gives Chill instead of Freeze. Pyre has a quirk where the corpse exploding effect only works if your hit actually kills the enemy, where ignite will not remove the corpse. So if you wear Southbound, your hits can never kill the enemy and the corpse will always stick around.

freeze proliferation used to totally be a thing, a single mob that was frozen would lock down the entire pack. and if you had herald of ice, when one frozen mob died, it would explode dealing ice-nova level damage, which would in turn chain explode entire packs

gently caress i missed my three dragons lightning tendrils freeze proliferator back in the day, it was so cool to hard counter devourer packs that popped up on you

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Can anyone give me a breakdown of what the endgame progression/landmarks look like? I've been screwing around on maps and am almost level 80 without any real direction. I'm a bit over 4k hp, have the entry level stuff for my build, but am nowhere near being able to solo like uber labs and stuff. What should my goals be, aside from "more hp"?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Jinnigan posted:

If I put my Vortex in a 30% more ele damage helmet, what'd be a good skill to put in a 5 or 6link in my chest?

Orb of Storms curse on hit, 3 curses, cull for a 6 link.

e: Or if you want to run defensive curses on Blasphemy, there's always IIR or PCoC

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Gejimayu posted:

Can anyone give me a breakdown of what the endgame progression/landmarks look like? I've been screwing around on maps and am almost level 80 without any real direction. I'm a bit over 4k hp, have the entry level stuff for my build, but am nowhere near being able to solo like uber labs and stuff. What should my goals be, aside from "more hp"?

post your character? nobody can tell you anything else than "more hp" :)

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Ok, so here's a roadmap of where I want my CI Vortex Elementalist to go. I'm trying to hammer out some ideas (mostly around curses) but hopefully this will give me some tankiness on top of just a huge CI pool.

Helm: 30% more Elemental Damage
Vortex - Rapid Decay - Increased AOE - Controlled Destruction

5l Chest:
Enlighten - Discipline - Blasphemy - Enfeeble - Elemental Weakness

4l:
Orb of Storms - Inc Crit Strikes - Power Charge on Crit - Increased AoE? Blind?

4l:
CWDT - Immortal Call - Golem - Increased Duration? Arctic Breath?

3l: Leap Slam [Doryani's Catalyst] - Fortify - Faster Attacks

3l:
Decoy Totem
Vaal Lightning Trap
Vaal Discipline

Gear: Doryani's Catalyst, Pyre, Southbound. Probably Auxium and Valyrium too. That leaves me 4 slots to get resistance in, 5 if you count the helm. hopefully only needing 5l in the chest makes a 700es with high res affordable.

I've got a 10ex budget and it looks like a 30% More Ele Dam helm with 200+es and some resists on it is 1-2ex, while a 5l chest with ~90 resists on it is around 5ex. And everything else is probably pretty cheap. Nothing extremely expensive needed.

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 4, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Phobophilia posted:

freeze proliferation used to totally be a thing, a single mob that was frozen would lock down the entire pack. and if you had herald of ice, when one frozen mob died, it would explode dealing ice-nova level damage, which would in turn chain explode entire packs

gently caress i missed my three dragons lightning tendrils freeze proliferator back in the day, it was so cool to hard counter devourer packs that popped up on you
Does this mean it's no longer a thing due to mechanics changes, then?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Did you consider the hrimburn instead of pyre+southbound gloves, you don't really need 16% life if your going CI, and you need a ring slot for that moonstone unique.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Did you consider the hrimburn instead of pyre+southbound gloves, you don't really need 16% life if your going CI, and you need a ring slot for that moonstone unique.

It feels to me like it'd be a little harder to scale the damage for it. You'd only be able to triple dip off +elemental damage, instead of +fire damage? Since +cold buffs vortex and vortex dot, but not ignite, and +fire buffs ignite but not vortex or vortex dot.

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
God dammit its near impossible to get a useful bow from drops or by crafting (if youre not rich).
Im at the gates of merciless Solaris Temple and my tooltip dps from tornado shot is 2k.

Does buying a bow that actually lets me kill things count against "solo self found"?

• Locked thread