Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm so glad 538's getting back up to the "good" numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Antti posted:

That's the point - "Oh no, how can the French have gun crimes with their mighty gun control laws?!"

Well, the US on the other hand has eradicated all crime with the introduction of the 2nd Amendment.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TheBigAristotle posted:

It's back to 69.8 :heysexy:

Basically seconds after they had just updated their map and written 'Trump really really REALLY needs Florida you guys' that Q poll with him losing Florida bad came out lol

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Phone posted:

And Known Turtle Man, Mitch McConnell, last week after overriding the Saudi Arabia veto "uh, maybe Obama vetoed it for a good reason.... I hadn't thought of that..."

Shortsightedness is a feature, not a bug.

Wait whatd the bad man say?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Effort post time!

So, obviously the Clinton camp coordinated with the media on the Ms Universe story. Hillary was going to deliver that line no matter what, and the fact that she had the perfect opportunity enhanced the effect. That, combined with the utter poo poo performance Trump had at the debate really swung things into her favor. Then the NY Times dropped a literal October Surprise in his 1995 tax return. Yeah it confirmed what we all knew: he paid no taxes, but the biggest thing was /how/ he managed to pay no taxes.

Now, they're trying to bury him in so much poo poo, that one scandal fades, another is there to be asked about. Trump is going to avoid the press from here on out like it's the plague. No more pressers, no more questions. He'll phone into Fox, get softballed, and let he surrogates do the work on the other networks, but now they face the same problem. How do they handle so many things at once? Three things today were involving his business or his foundation (Iran bank, C&D letter, and Chinese metals), one was involving past comments (The Apprentice stuff), and one was made /today/ (PTSD). He already canceled one rally, how many more? Will he even do the debate?

The scandals are like cockroaches at this point. Kill one, another one shows up. Eventually you hire someone to take care of it, only to find the entire house is infested with them, and you have termites and the house is about to collapse. The GOP didn't do their homework a year ago. They didn't take him seriously. The voters did, and they put him into this position.

I thought the Khans were going to be the absolute low point of his campaign. New managers managed to salvage the whole mess, but the question became, "For how long?" This is much, much worse, and it's coming from all sides. Now we know how long that lasted: he made it to the debate with the chance to perhaps make inroads into the Clinton firewall.

Instead, Hillary shimmied her way into the driver's seat and now he is in the back of the bus throwing a tantrum. There's almost a month left.

What can he do to even salvage it now?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

fishmech posted:

The big problem is that DC's stupid city-wide height limit on buildings prevents the appropriate build-up of high rise residences and offices. So those have to be built spread out around the city in the VA and MD suburbs when they're built at all, which makes it all a mess.

And all that is because some rich douchebags in the late 19th century got mad that a 8 story hotel blocked their view of nothing in particular.

Even worse is that the height limit for residential buildings in DC is lower than commercial. So, they have a stupid height limit for all buildings and then an even smaller one for residential.

You can move 200 feet across the river at Arlington and see 50 story tall buildings. It's really dumb.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

readingatwork posted:

Kind of annoying in the sense that Hillary is a lovely center-right moderate that thinks basic healthcare and education as a right is asking for rainbows and ponies, but not really anything outrageous or shocking.

Remember that time Congress shut down the government for literally no reason other than "gently caress Obama"? Or, more recently, remember that time they overrode a presidential veto and then tried to blame their terrible choice on Obama even though he did everything in his power to stop them?

As long as Congress remains the way it is now basic healthcare and affordable education really are a loving fantasy, and getting mad at Hillary for acknowledging that is like getting mad at her for saying water is wet. I think she's going to do everything in her power to try and get those things (much like how Obama did everything in his power to fix the current healthcare system), but it's going to be an uphill battle because she's up against obstructionist morons.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Boon posted:

"Yeah, we overrode that veto pretty good! Now it's possible for international law suits from private citizens in the US against a sovereign nation can go forward with no... possible... way... of... back firing... wait... maybe Obama vetoed it for a reason? Like now that I've spoken the words out loud, I don't think we thought this one all the way through, guys."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Boon posted:

Congress passed a bill that would allows US citizens to sue Saudi Arabia for its connections to 9/11. Obama, recognizing it as a terrible idea, vetoed it. Congress then overrode his veto more or less by reflex. Upon discovering that the US was now obligated to implement the terrible ideas in the bill, McConnell tried to pin the blame for this on Obama for not doing a better job of explaining why it was a terrible idea when campaigning against it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

HorseRenoir posted:

New Q polls:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/783010909178519552

Clinton up +5 in Florida is good news, I have no idea what's up with Ohio though

Old, White, with cities that aren't nearly as big and blue as Pittsburgh and Philly.

What's more insane is Clinton polling better in Florida than PA, though if she's polling 4+ in both states and keeps that in to November it's game over. Keeping PA blue and taking Florida means Trump loses without something insane like running the gamut on all other battleground states while stealing others like WI and CO. Though if she also takes NC then even having Walker outright steal WI won't matter beyond a Clinton DoJ nailing his puppet rear end to the wall.

Casimir Radon posted:

He got eclipsed by his toady Breitbart ages ago. Crazies might still read Drudge but he's not the household name he was in the late 90s.

In right wing circles he absolutely is. He still gets his billion plus views per month and when Obama took office it was growing. Every right-winger knows they can hit Drudge Report to find their day's news in a convenient, instant-loading format since it's a plain website.

Even if he peaked in the past he's still one of the biggest figures in conservative media and the idea he's no longer relevant is absurd.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

iospace posted:

https://twitter.com/wpjenna/status/783019928421105664
(spoilers: it's exactly what you'd expect the answer to be)

"The military is no place for social experiments" says segregationist senator from Mississippi, 1948.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/783026704386289665

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

God, he strategizes like a loving Warhammer character. "We just have to fight real hard and want to win and then we'll have super genius plus victory!"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

This
Man
Is
A
Candidate
For
POTUS

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Every once in a while that fact just strikes me blind and dumb for a few moments

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Phone posted:

"Yeah, we overrode that veto pretty good! Now it's possible for international law suits from private citizens in the US against a sovereign nation can go forward with no... possible... way... of... back firing... wait... maybe Obama vetoed it for a reason? Like now that I've spoken the words out loud, I don't think we thought this one all the way through, guys."

God bless America.

I usually don't talk to my coworkers because I am a stereotypical goony goon, but I had to share my glee over Trump's ridiculous weekend. Me and my Hispanic coworker had a good laugh, and then another black coworker jumped into the conversation with a bunch of conspiracy theories about Hillary 'splots. Clinton Foundation is evil, she destabilized Syria to steal gold, Hillary is the worst evil ever, etc.

It kind of shocked me. Like, why does this black dude hate Hillary so much more than Trump? Then I realized this coworker just loves conspiracy theories. Trump doesn't have conspiracy theories about him because he never had significant political influence. Hillary and the Clinton Foundation have been part of the machinations of government and elites for decades. They are conspiracy gold.

I think Hillary will lose the conspiracy nut vote.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
I, for one, am moved by Trump's promise to never forget about Dre admirals.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

This
Man
Is
A
Candidate
For
POTUS

And he's going to get more votes in the electoral college than Wallace.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Donald wants to spread the word on his new website.
https://www.facebook.com/DonaldTrump/posts/10157817342670725

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

The element of surprise is an ancient strength

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Spacebump posted:

This joke is the best they can do for an attack website?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Legitimately surprised Clinton's campaign staff failed to grab that address.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Antti posted:

This joke is the best they can do for an attack website?

He probably way overpaid design costs to one of his own companies with campaign money too!

Nothing stops the grift train! :homebrew:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Spacebump posted:

Hah, second-from-top reply is someone ranting about NWO conspiracy theories.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

I really want a debate moderator to ask him straight up "does your secret ISIS plan involve nuclear weapons?"

Unfortunately we only have a town hall and Chris Wallace left.

BTW if polls stay where they are by the 3rd debate, how hard is Wallace going to try to gently caress Clinton?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Night10194 posted:

God, he strategizes like a loving Warhammer character. "We just have to fight real hard and want to win and then we'll have super genius plus victory!"

Reminds me of a hockey coach speech: https://youtu.be/rQyEJpPSLdQ?t=24

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

iospace posted:

Effort post time!

So, obviously the Clinton camp coordinated with the media on the Ms Universe story. Hillary was going to deliver that line no matter what, and the fact that she had the perfect opportunity enhanced the effect. That, combined with the utter poo poo performance Trump had at the debate really swung things into her favor. Then the NY Times dropped a literal October Surprise in his 1995 tax return. Yeah it confirmed what we all knew: he paid no taxes, but the biggest thing was /how/ he managed to pay no taxes.

Now, they're trying to bury him in so much poo poo, that one scandal fades, another is there to be asked about. Trump is going to avoid the press from here on out like it's the plague. No more pressers, no more questions. He'll phone into Fox, get softballed, and let he surrogates do the work on the other networks, but now they face the same problem. How do they handle so many things at once? Three things today were involving his business or his foundation (Iran bank, C&D letter, and Chinese metals), one was involving past comments (The Apprentice stuff), and one was made /today/ (PTSD). He already canceled one rally, how many more? Will he even do the debate?

The scandals are like cockroaches at this point. Kill one, another one shows up. Eventually you hire someone to take care of it, only to find the entire house is infested with them, and you have termites and the house is about to collapse. The GOP didn't do their homework a year ago. They didn't take him seriously. The voters did, and they put him into this position.

I thought the Khans were going to be the absolute low point of his campaign. New managers managed to salvage the whole mess, but the question became, "For how long?" This is much, much worse, and it's coming from all sides. Now we know how long that lasted: he made it to the debate with the chance to perhaps make inroads into the Clinton firewall.

Instead, Hillary shimmied her way into the driver's seat and now he is in the back of the bus throwing a tantrum. There's almost a month left.

What can he do to even salvage it now?

I honestly feel at this point Hillary's team has a list of scandals that can be tied to Trump that they're keeping in reserve that should the media grow tired of the current scandal Trump is saddled with, they can drop another one.

Of course, there's two issues with this strategy. It's that Trump has so many scandals that Americans have become numb to them, so another won't really change much. Or the other side is that it gives Trump more free media coverage, which is basically how he's managed to remain so popular with so little spending.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

seiferguy posted:

. Or the other side is that it gives Trump more free media coverage, which is basically how he's managed to remain so popular with so little spending.

It's not like the media is going to stop talking about the presidential race.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

$10 that tomorrow Trump forgets the admirals.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Goatman Sacks posted:

I really want a debate moderator to ask him straight up "does your secret ISIS plan involve nuclear weapons?"

Unfortunately we only have a town hall and Chris Wallace left.

BTW if polls stay where they are by the 3rd debate, how hard is Wallace going to try to gently caress Clinton?

Wallace is a Fox News party line kinda guy but he's also not Sean Hannity making fuckeyes at the Trumpkin.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

"I have a secret plan to fight inflation" - Trump, 2016

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Noted 2-star general and Curtis LeMay wannabe Michael Flynn has the official response for Trump's "LOL GIT GUD" gaffe w/r/t suicide:

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/783030255531417600

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

seiferguy posted:

I honestly feel at this point Hillary's team has a list of scandals that can be tied to Trump that they're keeping in reserve that should the media grow tired of the current scandal Trump is saddled with, they can drop another one.

Of course, there's two issues with this strategy. It's that Trump has so many scandals that Americans have become numb to them, so another won't really change much. Or the other side is that it gives Trump more free media coverage, which is basically how he's managed to remain so popular with so little spending.

The latter honestly isn't true. When the coverage is wall to wall 'gently caress that guy' rather than just 'COULD HE WIN' it hurts him real bad. The time the constant coverage helped was when it was smothering Clinton's message because every Clinton related story was 'Doesn't This Look Shady' while all the Trump stuff was 'OH NO IS HE MAYBE GOING TO WIN!?'

Basically, the negative press actually does hurt him and focus on intensifying his meltdowns did him massive damage in August.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Donald's military strategy is based on the concept of multiplayer screen-peeking from the N64 days.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

ImpAtom posted:

Legitimately surprised Clinton's campaign staff failed to grab that address.

I heard a thing about that on NPR ages ago. Apparently it's been camped for a long time, and the guy wanted more money than her campaign was willing to pay.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

seiferguy posted:

It doesn't matter if the American people do not care one whit about Trump's scandal du jour. Every day they talk about a Trump scandal is one day they're not talking about Hillary, whether they're making legitimate points or not. Every day they don't talk about Hillary is a day that her numbers don't drop, which is all she needs to win right now. If every news article from now until November 8 is about Kim Kardashian in Paris, Hillary wins. And every day that there's something in the news that's a Trump scandal, or a debate, or, yes, Kim Kardashian is another day that that's happening.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

God bless America.

I usually don't talk to my coworkers because I am a stereotypical goony goon, but I had to share my glee over Trump's ridiculous weekend. Me and my Hispanic coworker had a good laugh, and then another black coworker jumped into the conversation with a bunch of conspiracy theories about Hillary 'splots. Clinton Foundation is evil, she destabilized Syria to steal gold, Hillary is the worst evil ever, etc.

It kind of shocked me. Like, why does this black dude hate Hillary so much more than Trump? Then I realized this coworker just loves conspiracy theories. Trump doesn't have conspiracy theories about him because he never had significant political influence. Hillary and the Clinton Foundation have been part of the machinations of government and elites for decades. They are conspiracy gold.

I think Hillary will lose the conspiracy nut vote.

The only reason Trump doesn't have conspiracy theories surrounding him ist that all his bad behavior can be proven by facts. Conspiracy nutjobs don't really care for conspiracies which are factually true.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
lol that he's namedropping probable narcissist macarthur and controversial patton instead of, you know, eisenhower, who became president

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Donald's military strategy is based on the concept of multiplayer screen-peeking from the N64 days.

"Make sure the marines we equipped with the blue turtle shells go in last. That thing always takes out the leader. :smug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Night10194 posted:

The latter honestly isn't true. When the coverage is wall to wall 'gently caress that guy' rather than just 'COULD HE WIN' it hurts him real bad. The time the constant coverage helped was when it was smothering Clinton's message because every Clinton related story was 'Doesn't This Look Shady' while all the Trump stuff was 'OH NO IS HE MAYBE GOING TO WIN!?'

Basically, the negative press actually does hurt him and focus on intensifying his meltdowns did him massive damage in August.

:agreed:

We're a month out which means the only thing that can swing the media away from it's current frenzy of "gently caress Trump" is a black swan event, and the Clinton camp waited until the first debate to really start dumping on him since it not only gives him very little time to react but also everyone that isn't an obsessive political nerd starts paying attention to the race once the debates happen.

Basically, go on betting sites and start putting money on Trump losing since it's basically free money at this point.

• Locked thread