Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The wikileak thing will be another 10k donor doxx material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

cult member at airport posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A33T0RihzxM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwGg6lmO80k

Don't get your hopes up for tomorrow, it's going to be pretty boring. Kaine and Pence will both do a competent job and both sides will say that their guy won.

I love Kaine (he's by far my favorite person in this election), and I think he'll be able to beat Pence in a debate coming from a law background, although I don't know his experience in the space.

Regardless, has the VP debate ever had any real effect on the election?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Justin Timberwolf posted:

So any bets on what the Wikileaks drop is about tomorrow? Roger Stone has promised us it will DEFINITELY BE THE END OF THE CLINTONS THIS TIME.

https://twitter.com/RogerJStoneJr/status/782443074874138624

Chapter 2 of Assange's "Drone Up My rear end" fanfiction?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I wasn't worried about Wikileaks before, but now I'm legitimately terrified they have something.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Remember when conservatives wanted to lynch Assange?

The enemy of my enemy, I guess.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I've read a lot about how due to the problems with attributing attacks to skilled hacker groups with any accuracy, everyone focuses on attacking, rather than defense. As a result, US cyberdefense is not good.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

CelestialScribe posted:

I wasn't worried about Wikileaks before, but now I'm legitimately terrified they have something.

They have something and they've been sitting on it since July because they know that it'll destroy clinton's campaign INSTANTLY and put her in prison INSTANTLY
...which is why they keep stalling...???

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PotatoManJack posted:

I love Kaine (he's by far my favorite person in this election), and I think he'll be able to beat Pence in a debate coming from a law background, although I don't know his experience in the space.

Regardless, has the VP debate ever had any real effect on the election?

I'm not sure if it's ever had a statistical impact. I think Biden vs Palin probably helped confirm the existing narrative of Palin as a lightweight incompetent but that narrative may have already been "baked in" going into the debates.

I suspect the VP debates are like the VP pick generally: it's never going to win you the election but if you screw up horribly it might help you lose it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Reminder that the last big 'leak' was just highlighting a bunch of stuff from their initial 'leaks' and also throwing in more personal data.

Wikileaks is worthless.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Night10194 posted:

He's an attempt to keep Evangelicals on board because the GOP hasn't realized 'Evangelical' mostly means 'Heretical racist who cares nothing for christ' and think they still care about 'traditional morality' over just supporting a strongman that Jesus would've beaten the poo poo out of in the Temple.

I know I seem real angry about GOP evangelical types but goddamnit, there is only one time in all the bible that Jesus actually hits a guy (outside of the wild apocrypha where young Jesus is running around smiting the poo poo out of people then bringing them back to life to avoid getting sent to his room) and it's people who turned a place of prayer into a house of commerce.

If it's any consolation, the Religious Right is dying according to what I've read. It doesn't have the power now that it once did.

Can't say I'll miss 'em. I might have been a Republican (probably not but still a vague possibility as opposed to completely impossible) if these bastards hadn't hijacked the Conservative movement.

And personally I like Wikileaks. I don't think they have something that will destroy Hillary but it be interesting if they did.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 4, 2016

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

CelestialScribe posted:

Thanks for reassuring me they have gently caress all, CS.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Wait, when did the next leak go from "bad for both candidates" to "Hillary is done"?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Xae posted:

The three most common attacks vectors do not need any math skills.

1) People
2) Buffer Overflow
3) SQL/Code Injection

I'm not saying we should discount Russia,

Look, man, no one's paying sticker price for that wasteland.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Spaced God posted:

Remember when conservatives wanted to lynch Assange?

The enemy of my enemy, I guess.

You could flip this toward Democrats as well.

Nate Silver is another good example of this (2012 vs 2014).

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Wait, when did the next leak go from "bad for both candidates" to "Hillary is done"?

When the polls kept coming out as good for Clinton.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CelestialScribe posted:

If it were a real major bombshell they wouldn't be talking it up, they'd just drop it.

My guess is they have *something* but keep this in mind:

quote:

Days before the November 7 election, Thomas J. Connolly of Scarborough, Maine, a prominent defense attorney and 1998 Democratic candidate for governor, confirmed to a reporter that Republican presidential candidate George W. Bush had been arrested for drunk driving in that state in 1976. Bush confirmed the report in a press conference moments after it was revealed.[19]

quote:

On October 2, 2003, the Los Angeles Times released a story about Arnold Schwarzenegger and subsequent allegations that he was a womanizer guilty of multiple acts of sexual misconduct in past decades. The story was released just before the 2003 California recall (which was scheduled for October 7), prompting many pundits to charge that the timing of the story was aimed specifically at derailing the recall campaign.[20] It was not the only embarrassing story about Schwarzenegger to surface just days before the campaign: the next day, ABC News and The New York Times reported that in 1975 Schwarzenegger had praised Adolf Hitler during interviews for the film Pumping Iron, which was responsible for the bodybuilder-turned-actor's fame.[21] The twin controversies later led Los Angeles Times columnist Steve Lopez to coin the term "gropenfuhrer" to describe California's governor-elect;[22] a series of Doonesbury strips made the term famous.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Spacebump posted:

Roger Stone has been insisting it will be 'Hillary is Done' for a week. I've heard it's supposed to be 'proof' of election rigging in the primary, lol.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Artificer posted:

I've read a lot about how due to the problems with attributing attacks to skilled hacker groups with any accuracy, everyone focuses on attacking, rather than defense. As a result, US cyberdefense is not good.

Its also that you can attack with a single group (the nsa), but you have to defend every server in the country. Which requires money, so states are still running all of their poo poo on windows ME because lol at money going to IT infrastructure for upgrades.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If it were a real major bombshell they wouldn't be talking it up, they'd just drop it.

My guess is they have *something* but keep this in mind:

The other thing is, well, Assange is not a rational person and he's a huge alt-right type. What HE thinks is insanely damaging almost certainly isn't.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well that's good since it's obvious the primary election wasn't rigged to anyone with half a brain.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Its also that you can attack with a single group (the nsa), but you have to defend every server in the country. Which requires money, so states are still running all of their poo poo on windows ME because lol at money going to IT infrastructure for upgrades.

And companies too, because people and companies get (understandably) really really mad when the intelligence agencies want to take a look to investigate or whatnot.

Unlike China, because corporations there are in bed with the government anyways.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

CelestialScribe posted:

It's like clockwork with you. :allears:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah, that's what I figure. Unfortunately people use that same logic to oppose gun safes and trigger locks and anything that would make it harder for a suicidal person or curious toddler to do something irreversible.

Look, let's be honest. I don't know if you've ever been suicidal, or dealt with suicidal people, but the sole and only thing that is going to prevent someone who is determined to kill themselves is confinement to a controlled environment with near constant observation. Suicide is -easy-. A trigger lock or safe that takes ten seconds to unlock isn't going to stop someone.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

This is why you still hear stories of politicians losing laptops, USB sticks and loving floppy disks with vital information on them. :negative:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why is this thread so much more level headed and civilized than all the other general political threads/boards?

I'd like to talk more about this, but I'm afraid that I'm getting this thread off conversation.

We have no conversation to be derailed from.

The major problems with rent control in the US is that in the US the rent control largely does not carry over between tenants. That provides a set of very perverse incentives for landlords to try and force tenants out of their units so they can bring the rent up to market rate for the next tenant. It isn't all greedy landlords though, cities love to shift property tax burdens from homeowners to rental stock owners.

Rent control also insulates rent-controlled tenants from the consequences of housing policy. This is most evident in San Francisco where rent controlled tenants have teamed up with homeowners (enjoying their own form of rent control via prop 13) to systematically block any meaningful densification of the city. The rent controlled people don't care about the skyrocketing rent that results (until those perverse incentives get strong enough and they get kicked out via illegal Ellis Act evictions) but new residents are hosed.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

This is why you still hear stories of politicians losing laptops, USB sticks and loving floppy disks with vital information on them. :negative:

People are really really dumb. :(

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

The Glumslinger posted:

so states are still running all of their poo poo on windows ME because lol at money going to IT infrastructure for upgrades.

Well, I guess we're safe then since all their poo poo will just crash anyways, so no damage to be done. :smug:

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I'm a little concerned because I don't see why someone would hype something up if they had nothing.

But then again I'm not an rear end in a top hat so

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Night10194 posted:

The other thing is, well, Assange is not a rational person and he's a huge alt-right type. What HE thinks is insanely damaging almost certainly isn't.

Wait, what? Alt-Right? All I know was he was an expose the government type, which I associate with Lefties.

The only politics I've seen of him was an interview he had with Noam Chomsky, the least Right guy I can think of.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Liquid Communism posted:

Look, let's be honest. I don't know if you've ever been suicidal, or dealt with suicidal people, but the sole and only thing that is going to prevent someone who is determined to kill themselves is confinement to a controlled environment with near constant observation. Suicide is -easy-. A trigger lock or safe that takes ten seconds to unlock isn't going to stop someone.
You're actually kind of wrong here. Or rather, you're probably right about someone with severe suicidal ideation etc. But I believe there is strong evidence that even marginal interference with the methods of offing yourself can greatly reduce the number of suicides, sort of like how door locks and poo poo won't deter a REALLY DETERMINED thief - but will make it a less attractive, and riskier, option.

The idea here is that someone who is in a real bad place can kill themselves very easily with a gun in a very short period of time, while poisoning or stabbing themselves or whatever requires more effort.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

NikkolasKing posted:

Wait, what? Alt-Right? All I know was he was an expose the government type, which I associate with Lefties.

The only politics I've seen of him was an interview he had with Noam Chomsky, the least Right guy I can think of.

This year wikileaks accused its detractors of being part of a global jewish conspiracy.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

sheri posted:

I'm a little concerned because I don't see why someone would hype something up if they had nothing.

That is like Julian Assange's MO.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

lozzle posted:

That is like Julian Assange's MO.

Has Wikileaks actually had a genuine, significant leak since the stuff Manning happened to hand them?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

NikkolasKing posted:

You must have missed when he accused his critics of being part of the (((establishment))).

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Personally, I've always been in favor of the Singaporing model. Just have the government own most of the apartments.

How does rent control "drive up prices"?

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2015/08/economist-explains-19

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

sheri posted:

The closest there was to a "real" leak was the DNC emails and I'm pretty sure those were largely dumped out of nowhere and they didn't attempt to hype it for months

Every time they announce they have an announcement etc it's nothing

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Liquid Communism posted:

That's ten more seconds they can doubt their decision to take their life.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
After the week trump just had I feel that anything Wikileaks has would, if done correctly, break even. And that's a worst case scenario. If they really had anything to show they would have done it by now. Most likely Trump and Friends will continue trying to get out of the hole they dug by continuing to dig down and be smug about it.

Could be wrong and I could go back to Arzying but I at least have my :smuggo: back in the meantime.

skeet decorator
Jun 19, 2005

442 grams of robot

Liquid Communism posted:

Actually there is pretty strong evidence that making suicide more inconvenient will deter a lot of people:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/02/a-simple-way-to-reduce-suicides/?hp

quote:

In September 1998, Britain changed the packaging for paracetamol, the active ingredient in Tylenol, to require blister packs for packages of 16 pills when sold over the counter in places like convenience stores, and for packages of 32 pills in pharmacies. The result: a study by Oxford University researchers showed that over the subsequent 11 or so years, suicide deaths from Tylenol overdoses declined by 43 percent, and a similar decline was found in accidental deaths from medication poisonings. In addition, there was a 61 percent reduction in liver transplants attributed to Tylenol toxicities. (Although it was a long and detailed study, some studies got a different result. One in Ireland, for example, found no reduction in overdoses.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

skeet decorator posted:

Actually there is pretty strong evidence that making suicide more inconvenient will deter a lot of people:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/02/a-simple-way-to-reduce-suicides/?hp

On phone so I can't look it up but there was a similar control in South Korea for a poison that was easily accessible that significantly reduced overall suicides

• Locked thread