Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

QuarkJets posted:

Well, he'd probably wind up in Swedish prison for the rape charge.

Is it really true that that this is a rape charge based on lying about using a condom, not rapey rape? That only seems one or two steps away from "women are conditioned from birth to have sex with men, therefore incapable of giving informed consent, therefore all sex is rape".

Certainly a lovely thing to do, don't get me wrong.

Edit: after hearing he was a rapist for years I only heard the condom thing from one unreliable source, which is why I asked.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Is it really true that that this is a rape charge based on lying about using a condom, not rapey rape? That only seems one or two steps away from "women are conditioned from birth to have sex with men, therefore incapable of giving informed consent, therefore all sex is rape".
grats on being terrible, dude.

the woman agreed to have sex with him under the condition that he use a condom. he tricked her into thinking he was using a condom when he wasn't. the woman was lied to and taken advantage of. how is that not rape? because she said 'yes' at some point in the exchange? she said yes to the thing that didn't happen. her consent required something that wasn't present. therefore she didn't give consent to what actually happened.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

MattD1zzl3 posted:

:wtc:

Also it's pretty lovely to describe some forms of rape as "rapey rape" as if other forms of rape aren't still...you know, rape.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also, there were two separate charges against him

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Endorph posted:

grats on being terrible, dude.

the woman agreed to have sex with him under the condition that he use a condom. he tricked her into thinking he was using a condom when he wasn't. the woman was lied to and taken advantage of. how is that not rape? because she said 'yes' at some point in the exchange? she said yes to the thing that didn't happen. her consent required something that wasn't present. therefore she didn't give consent to what actually happened.

Matty's a troll, not even a good one, like Amergin. Don't bother.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/783264013769670656

+/- 6.1% MoE and B+ rating on 538

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Obviously PA was never going to go to the Republicans but those McGinty numbers! :drat:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Really this is a failure of language. It's like how we call used to call all sports injuries "knee injuries" and now there are like 20 different versions of that like MCL and ACL injuries.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You are partially correct in that this is only the most recent rape allegation. He's done poo poo like this before.

But seriously how can you not think "agree to have sex under a condition", "partner ignores condition and goes against what you consented to" isn't rape?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Really this is a failure of language. It's like how we call used to call all sports injuries "knee injuries" and now there are like 20 different versions of that like MCL and ACL injuries.

I think it might just be a failure of your brain.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Going by 538's Polls+ model and assigning every state where a candidate is more than 70% ahead, Hillary has 272 Electoral Votes- and that's with Nevada, Florida, Iowa, Ohio and North Carolina assigned to anyone.

So basically Trump's gotta win every single swing state AND turn 1 solid Clinton state Red.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Sky Shadowing posted:

Going by 538's Polls+ model and assigning every state where a candidate is more than 70% ahead, Hillary has 272 Electoral Votes- and that's with Nevada, Florida, Iowa, Ohio and North Carolina assigned to anyone.

So basically Trump's gotta win every single swing state AND turn 1 solid Clinton state Red.

And I guess when you run the odds through excel or whatever a few ten thousand times this still happens about %30 of the time?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

greatn posted:

And I guess when you run the odds through excel or whatever a few ten thousand times this still happens about %30 of the time?

Apparently, but keep in mind this isn't taking any of this week's shitshow for Trump into account, this is mostly just Debate + Machado stuff. No taxes, no Foundation shutdown, no China Steel, nothing of that.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

greatn posted:

Probably uses R

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

greatn posted:

it happens if you run the odds through excel ten thousand times and ignore the fact that people don't vote based on random chance

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Endorph posted:

it happens if you run the odds through excel ten thousand times and ignore the fact that people don't vote based on random chance

While Shook Nate is very shook, this is a pretty disingenuous line of attack.

The "random chance" aspect is to account for sampling errors in polls, etc.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

CelestialScribe posted:

I wasn't worried about Wikileaks before, but now I'm legitimately terrified they have something.

I just want to quote this again because lmao :allears:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

botany posted:

I just want to quote this again because lmao :allears:

Let's not make fun of the ill.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Let's not make fun of the ill.

Said Donald Trump, never.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Antti posted:

Not before the election unless NYT has like some kind of extortionesque thing going on, "don't sue us or else", but there's this thing called discovery where both parties in a lawsuit can have the court demand information from the other party that's entered into evidence.

Right, but say they go to court and Trump offers his tax returns as proof that the NYT was spreading false information or whatever. During a court case, isn't that information supposed to not be released? Or has Law and Order: SVU led me astray?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
More anti-arzying if you still need it:
https://twitter.com/LukeBrinker/status/783274079730139136

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Beginning of third party support dissipating due to their not being in the debates imo

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Headline: Assange droned on, kills any chance at being taken seriously

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm holding out hope. Just yesterday I had no idea who Julian Assange was. Maybe this was all just the most amazing and fortuitous timing.

Probably not but ya know, what do I have to lose. I already don't like Hillary.

I hope this made a good impression.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I feel like we (but more importantly, a bunch of Infowars/Trump fans desperate for some Hillary dirt) just spent the last few days fretting about and trying to guess what some strange clues might lead to, only to find it was just some guy trying to sell them something.

Follow the money

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

an AOL chatroom posted:

I feel like we (but more importantly, a bunch of Infowars/Trump fans desperate for some Hillary dirt) just spent the last few days fretting about and trying to guess what some strange clues might lead to, only to find it was just some guy trying to sell them something.

Follow the money

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm holding out hope. Just yesterday I had no idea who Julian Assange was. Maybe this was all just the most amazing and fortuitous timing.

Probably not but ya know, what do I have to lose. I already don't like Hillary.

I told you, bro. I told you Assange was a weasel piece of poo poo.

Also you actually have a lot to lose if a fascist movement wins a US election.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

So, Assange and the trumpets basically recreated this scene at three AM?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdA__2tKoIU

Edit: dammit Toy Guycot :argh:

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 4, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lote posted:

Headline: Assange droned on, kills any chance at being taken seriously

:perfect:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Night10194 posted:

I told you, bro. I told you Assange was a weasel piece of poo poo.

Also you actually have a lot to lose if a fascist movement wins a US election.

I still don't get how we're this close to electing an incompetent fascist instigating a rise in open white supremacy and some people still see a personal dislike of Hillary Clinton as any kind of concern.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Virginia, while doing well in the big circus, is still fighting off the right-to-work constitutional amendment. Back in January, Yes on Question 1 was up 20 points; as of now, it's a dead heat. State labor Feds are doing it themselves; the AFL is mostly focused on Ohio (lol, sigh) and Florida.

The more people hear about the amendment (yes, we're already RTW, so why alter the constitution?), the less they like it. Liberals are afraid a knock-on effect could lead one bad judge could declare unions unconstitutional as a result; conservatives aren't very happy about using the constitution as a political football. VA conservatives are literalists, which comes to really interesting moments like Dave Brat, Anti Fast Track Anti TPP Warrior. So Howell's bullshit isn't flying. Especially since they gave their game away with the constitutional amendment to remove the governor's voter restoration rights.

Virginia is a funky old state these days. Move to Virginia.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Hillary is higher on RCP's 4-way vs 2-way despite losing voters to Johnson and Stein because of that LA Times tracker hahaha

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
It looks like those LA Times people have firmly rooted themselves in reality. Who the hell are they even calling - it must be an incredible subsample to be ~8-9 points off the national average.

Scooter
May 12, 2001

Endorph posted:

The 538 model is actually trying to account for the fact that polling error isn't just due to sampling: that there's likely some amount of systemic error in the polls. For example, maybe Trump's brown shirts will prevent a substantial number of minorites from voting, or white turnout will be unusually low, or the pollsters didn't accurately account for young people moving to other states and keeping their old cell phone #.

AFAICT that's the main difference between their "polls" model and the other aggregators. And even though their systemic error model can go either way with equal likelihood, it manifests as a higher likelihood of any win for Trump vs just a bigger win for Hillary: hence the higher probability of Trump winning in 538's model vs others.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lozzle posted:

While Shook Nate is very shook, this is a pretty disingenuous line of attack.

The "random chance" aspect is to account for sampling errors in polls, etc.
It is a flaw with the methodology though, elections are not stochastic. Wild fluctuations in probability are a sign that a model does not properly understand electoral probability as a philosophical statistic problem

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Scooter posted:

The 538 model is actually trying to account for the fact that polling error isn't just due to sampling: that there's likely some amount of systemic error in the polls. For example, maybe Trump's brown shirts will prevent a substantial number of minorites from voting, or white turnout will be unusually low, or the pollsters didn't accurately account for young people moving to other states and keeping their old cell phone #.

AFAICT that's the main difference between their "polls" model and the other aggregators. And even though their systemic error model can go either way with equal likelihood, it manifests as a higher likelihood of any win for Trump vs just a bigger win for Hillary: hence the higher probability of Trump winning in 538's model vs others.

Do pollsters not ask what state you're in and just assume from area code?

Though I guess if I moved to Virginia no pollsters would be calling 334 numbers.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Edit: after hearing he was a rapist for years I only heard the condom thing from one unreliable source, which is why I asked.

The other allegation against Assange is that in the morning he initiated sex with the victim while she was asleep.

Anyway the UK extradition courts had looked at this stuff and said yup, the allegations are definitely rape under UK law.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/783285289276076032

Well if you put it like that...

Interesting that Bill's in OH, looks like they're not giving up on that one yet either; though why's Bernie in MN?

Also :lol: at Donald in the noted battleground state of Arizona.

Scooter
May 12, 2001

greatn posted:

Do pollsters not ask what state you're in and just assume from area code?

Though I guess if I moved to Virginia no pollsters would be calling 334 numbers.

I was wondering this the other day, and found this: http://www.pewresearch.org/2016/08/01/moving-without-changing-your-cellphone-number-a-predicament-for-pollsters/

tl;dr is that they try to use other sources than just randomly sampling phone numbers by area code: they apparently have databases of billing addresses for phone numbers (though that data is incomplete), and they have access to phone numbers for registered voters (though this of course excludes people who are not yet registered).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
lol at you mother fuckers who stayed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

lol at you mother fuckers who stayed up

I had to, I'm 3rd shift.

• Locked thread