Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The vita silent hill game is diablo and if you own a vita for some reason you should buy it because it's great and dumb as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

oddium posted:

steam recommends me a lot lot lot of randomly generated roguelikes because spelunky and nuclear throne are two of my favorite games and let me tell you. all the recommendations are trash

I have like four Randomly generated games I like and I get nothing but the same type in my queues.

I am sick of those games I just want something with a normal campaign in it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Pixel games, they just announced a sequel to The Escapist and I always find it funny when an "8-bit but better" pixel art game gets a sequel and they upgrade it to a "16-bit but better" pixel art game. Like graphical upgrades are supposed to be because of better hardware but in pixel games these days it's arbitrary as hell and just a choice so the upgrade to give an illusion of progress and just not being a complete rehash seems so silly and almost cynical to me.

Unrelated, to go back to geeky children names, the high water mark right now is still Kevin Smith naming his daughter Harley Quinn.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

niddhog 2's art style looks godawful

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

Isn't that sort of the Vita Silent Hill game?

Idk I just started Silent Hill 1 two days ago, I need some time to catch up

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

oddium posted:

niddhog 2's art style looks godawful

This can't be real:

My god go back to the low detail style.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah it's impressive how they managed to make a stylistic looking game so ugly in the sequel

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

Hey what's that you wanted more of that well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR05_7Xnx9w

I haven't played Back In 1995 and probably won't play this but I really do like the way they look

Maybe in 2040 the throwback retro indie games will look like Uncharted 4 and they'll laugh at our pathetic technology

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It's Mortal Kombat XL day on PC and I have the day off. What a good October day.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I haven't played Back In 1995 and probably won't play this but I really do like the way they look

Maybe in 2040 the throwback retro indie games will look like Uncharted 4 and they'll laugh at our pathetic technology

Back In 1995 is weird in that in stills it looks okay but when you're actually playing it every texture is stretching and distorting with the camera and it's ugly as sin.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Golden Goat posted:

This can't be real:

My god go back to the low detail style.

The Simpsons meets Clayfighters.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Back In 1995 is weird in that in stills it looks okay but when you're actually playing it every texture is stretching and distorting with the camera and it's ugly as sin.

That just sounds like it's being faithful.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Phantasium posted:

That just sounds like it's being faithful.

It is and it's super weird about it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

nidhogg 2 needs to go full hog and just buy out all that Interplay lot of poo poo and put Bad Mr Frosty in this

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jittery textures are kinda cool

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It'd work better for a horror game closer to the end and not straight away though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Golden Goat posted:

Maybe we should ban randomly generated levels for a while.

Revised list of things that should be banned:

Pixel art

Procedural generation

MOBAs

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yes this will do.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

gaming is saved

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
gently caress you guys I'm gonna go make a procedurally generated pixel moba of epic proportions and nobody is going to stop me

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The fingers on the monkey paw retract, and to your horror you open the Steam page to the vision of a thousand metroidvanias, screaming and writhing in tortured pain.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I see nothing but anime visual novels now.

Kill me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I am satisfied

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Help Im Alive posted:

What if we banned pixel art for a year

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lol like anybody goes onto Xbox arcade.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

oddium posted:

steam recommends me a lot lot lot of randomly generated roguelikes because spelunky and nuclear throne are two of my favorite games and let me tell you. all the recommendations are trash
wait, does that mean you actually bought and played the recommendations or are you just making a (safe) assumption

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i bought rogue legacy and enter the gungeon and that was enough

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Golden Goat posted:

Lol like anybody goes onto Xbox arcade.
That's what indie with no pixel art looks like though is what I'm getting at. It's horrifying

oddium posted:

i bought rogue legacy and enter the gungeon and that was enough
if you consider those both to be utter trash your standards may just be impossibly high. :shrug:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Revised list of things that should be banned:

Pixel art

Procedural generation

MOBAs

I mean, Idunno, pixel art isn't consistently bad it's just all over the map in terms of quality. How about we ban games with a key selling point of being difficult?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CrashCat posted:

if you consider those both to be utter trash your standards may just be impossibly high. :shrug:

On the other hand, if you don't like the stuff that is considered the king of a genre it's pretty easy to just write off the whole thing.

I too don't like Roguelikes.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I say we ban all videogames.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

The silver age of indie gaming

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I like randomized permadeath action games and I hope the trend sees continued iteration.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Phantasium posted:

On the other hand, if you don't like the stuff that is considered the king of a genre it's pretty easy to just write off the whole thing.

enter the gungeon is "king of the genre?" it's only been out for maybe a year and the bossfights are tedious bullshit

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Phantasium posted:

but oddium said they like Spelunky and Nuclear Throne :psyduck:

whatever I'm sure it was just exaggeration for emphasis or because the vast majority of forgettable roguelike poo poo is so forgettable they couldn't even name one that wasn't at least okay

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Neither Rogue Legacy or Enter the gungeon are even near "king of the genre"

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It's Nethack, full stop

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

dungeons of dredmor

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

dredmor rules but only on going rogue permadeath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

CrashCat posted:

but oddium said they like Spelunky and Nuclear Throne :psyduck:

whatever I'm sure it was just exaggeration for emphasis or because the vast majority of forgettable roguelike poo poo is so forgettable they couldn't even name one that wasn't at least okay

to me, if a game is bad, i don't like it 👼

• Locked thread