Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Sinestro posted:

There are a lot of people who I strongly disagree with who I'd say that I respect, Goldwater among them. :shrug:

Please elaborate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

yeah as a woman who supported sanders i don't recall anything from the clinton campaign that made it sound like they expected us to fall in line for her

They're going to reply with the Albright quote, even though she has been saying that exact same line for years.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Augus posted:

Russia is kinda creating a situation where being confrontational is absolutely necessary unless you're a complete maniac cough like trump cough

Also, Obama's foreign policy has been much more aggressive than most people realize. It just rarely makes the news over here.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Instant Sunrise posted:

yeah as a woman who supported sanders i don't recall anything from the clinton campaign that made it sound like they expected us to fall in line for her

A couple of her... Is surrogates the right term? Made some not-great comments. That "there's a special place in hell for women who don't support women" one is the one that stands out to me.

Hillary herself I don't recall acting like that, though.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I really enjoyed this part from last night. It makes me laugh.

:psyboom: never thought about it like that...

That should be the takeaway from this debate. Kaine bringing up solid issues and fears about Trump and Pence dismissing them like never happened then attacking Hillary for stuff conservatives imagine Obama did.

Republicans are scum garbage people.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I'm the white nationalist respecter.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Instant Sunrise posted:

I think Madeline Albright said something rude/ignorant?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I said I respected him for trying to fight the Religious Right.

You didn't, though. Please, seriously, lurk D&D more. This is coming from someone whose posting here would have gotten a probation (minimum) a few years ago. You're coming off as way more awful than I think you honestly are.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i have no respect for barry "i invented the goddamn southern strategy and voted against the civil rights act of 1964" goldwater

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Pastrymancy posted:

Please elaborate

I respect people with strong principles and who are honest about their goals and viewpoint, I'm not going to vote for the guy (obviously :v:), I just can respect him more than most of the modern ultra-conservative shitheels.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/783850273420738560

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Sinestro posted:

I respect people with strong principles and who are honest about their goals and viewpoint, I'm not going to vote for the guy (obviously :v:), I just can respect him more than most of the modern ultra-conservative shitheels.

Not to be cute, but doesn't that describe Hitler?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_29yvYpf4w

???

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

https://twitter.com/alivitali/status/783829942438023168

Donnie the Draftdodger rallies further prove themselves as terrible cesspits.

This would be a fascinating social experiment if it wasn't in the middle of an avenue to power. What a bizarre situation.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Nessus posted:

I think Madeline Albright said something rude/ignorant?

Yeah she said 500,000 disappointed women was an acceptable price to pay to achieve our objectives in Iraq.

Haha! Just kidding, that was 500,000 dead Iraqi children.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

yes

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

Haha oh wow

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Yes Sean, go after the future of your network, you cannot lose.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Did anyone ever ask Hannity about Trump, by the way?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I would say that I respect the Nazis more than the modern American far right... That's not a high bar.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ImpAtom posted:

Did anyone ever ask Hannity about Trump, by the way?

There was a podcast that called him live on air

Hannity hung up

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Sinestro posted:

I respect people with strong principles and who are honest about their goals and viewpoint, I'm not going to vote for the guy, I just can respect him more than most of the modern ultra-conservative shitheels.

holy poo poo dude.

the man wanted to use nuclear weapons in vietnam
his campaign invented the southern strategy that created the modern republican party
he voted against the civil rights act

he was one of the ultra-conservative shitheels for his time

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hannity is obviously going to go to the Trump Network, but it'd be funny if Trump doesn't intend to actually do that and Hannity hosed himself over for nothing.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

Yeah she said 500,000 disappointed women was an acceptable price to pay to achieve our objectives in Iraq.

Haha! Just kidding, that was 500,000 dead Iraqi children.

You realize she was talking about sanctions on Iraq and not the war in Iraq, right?

Also she was asked a lovely question:

quote:

In May 1996 Madeleine Albright, who was then the U.S. ambassador to the UN, was asked by 60 Minutes correspondent Lesley Stahl, in reference to years of U.S.-led economic sanctions against Iraq,

We have heard that half a million children have died. I mean, that is more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it?

To which Ambassador Albright responded,

I think that is a very hard choice, but the price, we think, the price is worth it.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Trabisnikof posted:

You realize she was talking about sanctions on Iraq and not the war in Iraq, right?

Also she was asked a lovely question:

Yes I'm aware of that. I'm not a loving idiot.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

holy poo poo dude.

his campaign invented the southern strategy that created the modern republican party

where did I say that he wasn't one???

among ultraconservative shitheels of the years, I respect him more than the current crop

it's not complicated

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Hannity is on the way out and he knows it. The Murdoch boys aren't big on Ailes and his toadies.

I'm betting as soon as his contract is up they'll part ways after being unable to reach an agreement and Hannity will retreat back to Talk Radio. They'll blow through a bunch of generic establishment conservatives in his time slot for a few years until they find one that works.

Instant Sunrise posted:

holy poo poo dude.

The only thing Goldwater did right was realize that the Evangelicals were going to take over and kill the party.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

Yes I'm aware of that. I'm not a loving idiot.

Well your posting doesn't make that clear.

Do you think sanctions against Saddam's Iraq was a bad idea?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Crow Jane posted:

Governor Hogan of Maryland isn't completely awful, for a Republican. He's at least on record saying he has no plans to support Trump. I still kinda hate him, though.

I've never understood why we keep electing Republican governors, the state is otherwise deep blue. At least they're mostly pretty centrist.

Hogan is awful, he took a bunch of money for mass transit and re-directed it to the communities that are dying on the vine as Maryland becomes Baltimore-centric instead of DC-centric. Also, he appointed a dude who unironically was using the MD state police as a domestic spying group against anti-Iraq war protestors to head the state's homeland security, he's been playing political football with Baltimore County because Hogan and Franchot are both terrified of Kamenetz running for governor, he repealed the OH MY GARSH!!! rain tax because some Luntz-level rear end in a top hat came up with the term rain tax and now the commercial and industrial lots with shittons of impervious areas are having the stormwater management being subsidized by those with smaller lots and higher property values and he's directing any heroin aid to anywhere but Baltimore

he's just some dude that was authoritarian enough during the ebola scare (white America was terrified of ISIS sleeper agents puking ebola into their Chipotle), got cancer, beat cancer (hooray!) and just has generic lovely policies to gently caress over growth in the state because of far-flung racist towns think they matter

also MD keeps electing Republican governors because it is held in non-presidential years

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Sinestro posted:

I would say that I respect the Nazis more than the modern American far right... That's not a high bar.

One could almost say that they don't exist in a mutually exclusive environment

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Trabisnikof posted:

Well your posting doesn't make that clear.

Do you think sanctions against Saddam's Iraq was a bad idea?

I do, especially in conjunction with the Iraq Liberation Act. Making regime change our official policy helped grease the wheels for Bush to garner bipartisan support for the invasion.

The sanctions killed a shitload of Iraqis and they weren't worth it imo.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

I do, especially in conjunction with the Iraq Liberation Act. Making regime change our official policy helped grease the wheels for Bush to garner bipartisan support for the invasion.

The sanctions killed a shitload of Iraqis and they weren't worth it imo.

So what should our policy with Iraq have been in your perfect world then?

Lamb Chowder
Oct 5, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Since I'm sick of Ali Vitali being posted and making me reflexively think about Ali Velshi i'm going to post some tweets of his to get it out of my system.

http://twitter.com/AliVelshi/status/775765717274755073

Lamb Chowder fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 6, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Apparently, Trump has decided he hates transgender people now. Probably always did and the bathroom was an anomaly. He complained about "our PC military accepting transgender soldiers."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/299473-trump-threatens-to-sue-over-nasty-campaign-ads

Yes, Donald, sue your political opponents for libel, while you're running for president. I loving dare you.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Okay. Feel free to link those articles.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/08/us/politics/gloria-steinem-madeleine-albright-hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders.html

As for what Hillary herself said:

quote:

SANDERS: So, Rachel, yes, Secretary Clinton does represent the establishment. I represent, I hope, ordinary Americans, and by the way — who are not all that enamored with the establishment. But I am very proud to have people like Keith Ellison and Raul Grijalva in the House, the co-chairmen of the House Progressive Caucus.

MADDOW: Secretary.

CLINTON: Well, look, I've got to just jump in here because, honestly, Sen. Sanders is the only person who I think would characterize me, a woman running to be the first woman president, as exemplifying the establishment. And I've got to tell you that it is ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/02/05/hillary-clinton-just-suggested-shes-not-establishment-come-on/

Now, I'm not some Alt-Right shithead. There are women who suffer everyday from discrimination. Do I think a millionaire who knows most of the leaders of the world and is married to a former president is one of them? She's been in the upper echelons of American politics for a couple decades. But her sex keeps her from being part of "the establishment"?

Now I think Bernie was being a bit too Leftist by even using a word like "The Establishment." That's 60s hippie talk and really vague. But I still think Hillary's counter is just as ridiculous.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You didn't, though. Please, seriously, lurk D&D more. This is coming from someone whose posting here would have gotten a probation (minimum) a few years ago. You're coming off as way more awful than I think you honestly are.

NikkolasKing posted:

I respect Barry Goldwater. He didn't die that long ago although he was part of the Conservative movement of 50-60 years ago. The one that actually believed in less government instead of using the government to bully everyone into being Christian.

I loving hate American Conservatism but I really hate the Religious Right. Whatever was bad about Conservatives 50 years ago, it got ten times worse when those fanatics came into power. The point of Conservatives is to get the government out of peoples' lives, not to regulate their lives by legislating morality.

Maybe I'm romanticizing it because I never had to experience it while I've had to live with the plague of the Christian Right all my life.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Xae posted:

Hannity is on the way out and he knows it. The Murdoch boys aren't big on Ailes and his toadies.

I'm betting as soon as his contract is up they'll part ways after being unable to reach an agreement and Hannity will retreat back to Talk Radio. They'll blow through a bunch of generic establishment conservatives in his time slot for a few years until they find one that works.
I thought the rumor was that Murdoch's kids want to shift Fox towards the center after the election?

And it's really hard to feel that bad for Kelly when she did have Trump in that ridiculous primetime special, and was just as soft on him as Hannity has been. They're all awful people.

Covok posted:

Apparently, Trump has decided he hates transgender people now. Probably always did and the bathroom was an anomaly. He complained about "our PC military accepting transgender soldiers."
He doesn't want women, transgender people, or gays serving in the military. Who knows what he actually believes, but it's just another piece of evidence that he'll fall in line with boilerplate neoconservative nonsense if it benefits himself.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Would someone please call Sean Hannity?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Covok posted:

Would someone please call Sean Hannity?

https://youtu.be/wDGLSRPQ5B4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Do I think a millionaire who knows most of the leaders of the world and is married to a former president is one of them?

So your argument is literally "she can't be discriminated against, she's rich and famous."

NikkolasKing posted:

But her sex keeps her from being part of "the establishment"?

Yes? Are you aware you are literally making an alt-right argument?

Do you think racism was ended when Barack Obama became President? Do you think he never suffered any discrimination, prejudice or hatred based off his race after he became President?

Prejudice and discrimination don't end when you become famous. At best it takes on a different shape.

Edit: Again, I want to be clear here. You don't believe Hillary Clinton's sex has ever been an issue and used negatively against her during the 2016 campaign season or that people have chosen not to vote for her based off her gender. I want to be sure this is the argument you're making and you're not phrasing this poorly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 6, 2016

• Locked thread