Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Someone asked why conservatives are consistently unfunny. This Gawker article is from 2010, but it's still completely relevant if you substitute modern players for O'Keefe.

To sum it up, conservatives aren't funny because they don't understand the concept of empathy and use humor as a bludgeon against people beneath them. Like in the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

punk rebel ecks posted:

"75%" is too extreme. But I'd say 50% is accurate looking at the bigger picture.

Do you have a reference to an analysis of how the platforms did and did not converge? I'm curious.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Quorum posted:

So if this is indeed true, what's the impact on the Dems' chances of seizing the Senate?

NC and PA are potential flips.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I think Sanders would be dominating at least as much as Hillary is right now. Both candidates bring different, but similarly strong, blocs to the table.

However, the GOP wouldn't be melting down nearly as much as they are now simply because Hillary is a woman and a clinton. That outweighs Sanders being more to the left.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Speaking as a disabled person who hates Trump, I think this article's headline is a bit sensationalized. Unsurprising of course given the nature of headlines but still, one or maybe two people saying something to her is not what I imagined. I pictured at least a little crowd all jeering at her. Plus it doesn't mention it was other handicapped people doing it.

Pastrymancy posted:

Leftist Christians tend not to be as well organized as right wing evangelical groups. It's unfortunate.

Not strictly topical but I've always been fascinated by American religious history because it's so wonderfully American. Most of our history Catholics were persecuted and hated and they in turn didn't much like Protestants. Come the second half of the 20th Century and now the two align to fight the evils of free will and civil rights. Also Jews, too. Judao-Christian wasn't much of a thing before it was politically convenient to try and rally the troops.

sweet geek swag posted:

Corpses. All the good ones [Republicans] died 50-60 years ago.

I respect Barry Goldwater. He didn't die that long ago although he was part of the Conservative movement of 50-60 years ago. The on ethat actually believed in less government instead of using the government to bully everyone into being Christian.

Pick posted:

I legitimately think that Hillary Clinton's big issue is women's rights, which is totally toxic in today's political environment. If anything, I think this is why she seems so ambivalent about pretty much everything else in a political kind of way

I personally believe Hillary is merely ambitious but even if she truly does care about some of the issues she champions, her campaign didn't do her any favors by playing up the "sex card." A lot of women probably opposed Hillary for the simple fact they were expected to vote for a woman. "Break through that glass ceiling and gently caress the actual issues you care about."

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/783833514324221953

i want to believe

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

iospace posted:

And IL, IN, and WI are almost guaranteed

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

iospace posted:

Just signed up for a bus to Philly for this Saturday to help with that :dukedog:

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I feel like if you log a certain number of decades doing meticulous policy work towards core women's issues you're not playing the sex card

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BiohazrD posted:

Oh man that "why do people hate hillary" thread is a treasure

Are they just spending real-world money to buy every single Clinton supporter they see the same avatar?
That's pretty dumb.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Pastrymancy posted:

I feel like if you log a certain number of decades doing meticulous policy work towards core women's issues you're not playing the sex card

uh, if you're using it against Republicans then you're always using the [ ] card

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Okay so here's my 2016 crazy election day :derp: scenario: what if there's a mass shooting at a polling place?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

VikingofRock posted:

Okay so here's my 2016 crazy election day :derp: scenario: what if there's a mass shooting at a polling place?

It could happen. If a Trump supporter does it and says he did it to kill the Hillary supporters, not sure how'd that go. It'd probably make the day a mess. But, it's unlikely.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

KittenofDoom posted:

Someone asked why conservatives are consistently unfunny. This Gawker article is from 2010, but it's still completely relevant if you substitute modern players for O'Keefe.

To sum it up, conservatives aren't funny because they don't understand the concept of empathy and use humor as a bludgeon against people beneath them. Like in the video.

Yep, there's nothing funny about self-assured blowhards punching down at people who have wrong opinions.
Putting goofy sound effects and cutting to clips from movies that are actually funny while showing someone being legitimately uncomfortable with your totally wacky racial stereotyping is even lower than YouTube humor.

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 6, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

I think Sanders would be dominating at least as much as Hillary is right now. Both candidates bring different, but similarly strong, blocs to the table.

However, the GOP wouldn't be melting down nearly as much as they are now simply because Hillary is a woman and a clinton. That outweighs Sanders being more to the left.

Basically. Back in the primaries I figured Bernie had an even better chance against Trump than Hillary, and while she has seriously impressed me in her fight against him (I really underestimated her ability here, and more importantly really overestimated Trump) I think Bernie would still do well too. Probably would not have destroyed him as thoroughly in the debate and stuff, but would still be likely to win.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Augus posted:

Yep, there's nothing funny about self-assured blowhards punching down at people who have wrong opinions.

Except that article mentions Bill Maher as a good example of political comedy.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
One thing you shouldn't forget is that the crosshairs have always been on Clinton. She's always been the target, never Bernie.

If Bernie had actually won, there'd be a day of silence while people memorize their new talking points and then all you'd hear is red scare propaganda about how Bernie Sanders is going to nationalize your dog.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Apraxin posted:

Lol, good job Donald:

USPOL Oct: Trump Apparently Did Not Hear Them

You gotta remember, Trump is a bigshot rich CEO, when he speaks, you listen, not the other way around. So he likely heard, but turned a deaf ear because he's the guy in charge, gently caress those peons.
I imagine that's why he bellied up so much poo poo in the past to, he didn't listen to suggestions or advice because he's the top guy and only he knows what's best.
I worked for a boss like that and it was loving aggravating the amount of poo poo she ignored because she knew better. The only satisfaction I got was the "told ya so"* when poo poo inevitably hosed up.

*Which she tried to fire me for on multiple occasions, thankfully we were unionized and they told her to go pound sand

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

One thing you shouldn't forget is that the crosshairs have always been on Clinton. She's always been the target, never Bernie.

If Bernie had actually won, there'd be a day of silence while people memorize their new talking points and then all you'd hear is red scare propaganda about how Bernie Sanders is going to nationalize your dog.

Pretty much this.

I think Sanders would win if he'd gone for it but the idea that Sanders would have an easy time seems predicated on the idea that he'd weather the infinite scandal machine unscathed and I think that's a pretty big if. Sanders would have youth enthusiasm on his side but how vulnerable that enthusiasm is would be a big question. Sanders strikes me as someone forthright which might make a strong comparison to Trump but also might leave him vulnerable to what we saw with Kaine and Pence yesterday where he's struggling to fight against an endless tied of lies. Clinton has many flaws but I absolutely believe she's more comfortable in the middle of the muckraking fight than most politicians would be.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/783820838248194048

https://twitter.com/alivitali/status/783829942438023168

Donnie the Draftdodger rallies further prove themselves as terrible cesspits.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

iospace posted:

Also New Hampshire, and gun retard has a chance in Missouri.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_S5s16Y1OA

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't know how progressive Hillary is on the inside. It's just not something we can truly know, and honestly, I think pretty much every politician has one or two big issues they care about, a few small issues they have opinions about, and a bunch that they're ambivalent about and just follow the lead of the rest of the party.

My gut feeling is that Clinton's #1 issue, the one that's near and dear to her heart, is destroying the Republican Party.

So if Democrats who vote want progressive, she'll be progressive. If students might actually show up if she promises to do something about tuition, she'll make that an issue.

I don't think it's impossible that she'll do some centrist stuff, but I think it will always be part of an agenda to dismantle the Republican Party.

Looking at her voting record and the issues she's championed over the years I would say she's more of a progressive than like the top 10 most progressive senators/congressmen, and I would say her big issues are civil rights (especially womens, african american, and handicap), healthcare, and curb stomping the republican party. Education wise I think she genuinely cares more about K-12 than college, but like you said if young people pressed her on it and then showed up to vote it would become a huge deal for her instantly.

The centrist stuff will more than likely be compromising on things in an effort to move things in the right direction and forign policy, the former isn't exactly terrible though with how obstructionist republicans are right now and the latter is the best we can hope for from pretty much any president right now.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 6, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think we can all agree she is going to take a more confrontational foreign policy than Obama did. They have spent a good portion of this election playing up Russia.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Crow Jane posted:

Maybe he'll buy an island somewhere and declare himself god-emperor. The island would probably be bankrupt and on fire by the end of the week, but he'd be the leader, drat it

Cuba

Or maybe send him to North Korea...some place where loving the place over doesn't damage it any worse than it already is

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I don't think some people are taking into account how insanely good Hilary's campaign team is. Imagine Bernie's team in the general coming close to what Clinton's team has done. They're coordinating so well it's scary.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think we can all agree she is going to take a more confrontational foreign policy than Obama did. They have spent a good portion of this election playing up Russia.

To be fair, gently caress Russia.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much this.

I think Sanders would win if he'd gone for it but the idea that Sanders would have an easy time seems predicated on the idea that he'd weather the infinite scandal machine unscathed and I think that's a pretty big if. Sanders would have youth enthusiasm on his side but how vulnerable that enthusiasm is would be a big question. Sanders strikes me as someone forthright which might make a strong comparison to Trump but also might leave him vulnerable to what we saw with Kaine and Pence yesterday where he's struggling to fight against an endless tied of lies. Clinton has many flaws but I absolutely believe she's more comfortable in the middle of the muckraking fight than most politicians would be.

Oh yeah, that's the big area she impressed me; while I knew about her amazing performance in the Benghazi hearing, I was still amazed at how effortlessly she shut down Trump. Bernie genuinely engaging Trump might have looked good, but it probably wouldn't have hurt Trump nearly as bad. We'd probably have him still "winning" the debate, but it'd be "closer" because he wouldn't have annihilated Trump the same way, even if he managed to engender more positivity towards himself.

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't think some people are taking into account how insanely good Hilary's campaign team is. Imagine Bernie's team in the general coming close to what Clinton's team has done. They're coordinating so well it's scary.

Oh, no, I'm amazed at how well they're doing now. It's great.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I respect Barry Goldwater.

Oh god dude :negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Eh, even Obama's getting petty confrontational with Russia. When they appear to legitimately be trying to interfere with the election process it kind of becomes hard not to be. I'm not happy about it but it's not something I think anyone could avoid.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

NikkolasKing posted:

I personally believe Hillary is merely ambitious but even if she truly does care about some of the issues she champions, her campaign didn't do her any favors by playing up the "sex card." A lot of women probably opposed Hillary for the simple fact they were expected to vote for a woman. "Break through that glass ceiling and gently caress the actual issues you care about."

Everything about this is just awful. Please be less awful, or be awful further away from me.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hillary and Putin have a pretty long history of animosity towards each other, but I doubt we'll end up at war with them or anything.

e: holy poo poo, I just saw the :biotruths: post quoted above and below, what the actual gently caress?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

This is an incredibly awful thing to say, what the gently caress.

You're right, clearly Hillary Clinton should never have mentioned her gender or the literally historic fact that she is the first female candidate in a major political party and very likely the first female president. That's playing the 'sex card'.

Do you think Obama should never have discussed race either?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 6, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I said I respected him for trying to fight the Religious Right.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Everything about this is just awful. Please be less awful, or be awful further away from me.

You don't remember what Albright said?

And it isn't hard to find women who were voting for Bernie and how shocked it made Hillary's campaign. There are several easily found articles on the subject.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

And it isn't hard to find women who were voting for Bernie and how shocked it made Hillary's campaign. There are several easily found articles on the subject.

Okay. Feel free to link those articles.

Edit: Like actual articles that show Clinton's campaign going "We're shocked any women vote for Sanders! Women should only vote for Hillary Clinton!" Because I am an actual Sanders supporter and I do not recall Clinton demanding that all women for for her because she has a vagina. The 'closest' thing to that was the Women Card thing which was about some particularly nasty Trump attacks, not Sanders.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 6, 2016

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ImpAtom posted:

No please don't link to those Turk gently caress stains.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

NikkolasKing posted:

I respect Barry Goldwater. He didn't die that long ago although he was part of the Conservative movement of 50-60 years ago. The on ethat actually believed in less government instead of using the government to bully everyone into being Christian.

holy poo poo dude

Lamb Chowder
Oct 5, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lol noted alt-right Twitter spammer Ricky Vaughn (named after the character in Major League) got banned. He was infamous for ALWAYS being one of the first commenters on literally every single election related tweet because he definitely had some scripts running. Now the alt right Twitter brigade has "Free Ricky" trending at number 1 because they are a bunch of complete babies crying about their poor wittle hate speech being silenced. Ahahahanah

I mean, if you're using scripts you'd have to pre load the comments, right? So does he just post stuff like "Ah me shekels to the gorillion of the goyim" and suchlike since he couldn't view the tweets before his scripts made a comment?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FlamingLiberal posted:

Russia is kinda creating a situation where being confrontational is absolutely necessary unless you're a complete maniac cough like trump cough

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
There are a lot of people who I strongly disagree with who I'd say that I respect, Goldwater among them. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Like actual articles that show Clinton's campaign going "We're shocked any women vote for Sanders! Women should only vote for Hillary Clinton!" Because I am an actual Sanders supporter and I do not recall Clinton demanding that all women for for her because she has a vagina. The 'closest' thing to that was the Women Card thing which was about some particularly nasty Trump attacks, not Sanders.

yeah as a woman who supported sanders i don't recall anything from the clinton campaign that made it sound like they expected us to fall in line for her

• Locked thread