Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

That's because they can't enjoy a show without a dose of violence toward women, graphic depictions of hate crimes, and scenes of child molestation.

svu is very progressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Eifert Posting posted:

Sanders never proved he could turn out the minority vote. I don't really get why but that's reason enough for me to be satisfied with Clinton repping many of Bernie's positions.

Many of which were already her positions, too. I feel like Sanders' surrogating has gotten more and more genuine as the campaign's gone on, too. He seems to have warmed up to Clinton and he obviously hates Trump.

I admit I was really down on him in the late primary but he's done a good job since it ended.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Okay geez, I'm sorry. I saw it on C-SPAN where she declared marriage was a thing only between a man and a woman. I guess that's old and outdated now.

Please explain your thought process where you stated that you don't like Hillary and hoped that Assange had a bomb to drop on her reputation, and yet at the same time you want the best for your gay/transgender friends.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Maybe we should follow in the footsteps of your political hero and sic literal dogs on you next time.

But those dogs were very principled, and you just have to respect principles.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Justin Timberwolf posted:

Yes, the entire world was begging for it.

It's fair to criticize the exit strategy, however. There was none.

The entire strategy was "blow up armored elements from the air" so once those elements are gone the strategy is complete. You don't need to "exit" because you weren't ever there.

It's based on the (arguable) theory that America doesn't have a role nation building. I think Libya went well all things considered. Compare it to Iraq.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

a foolish pianist posted:

Sanders released his tax returns. They were very boring. He makes his senate salary and not much else.

He did that in the beginning. He makes a decent income and that's it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Really, I'm fine with how things turned out in the end; Bernie got official Democrat endorsement of a lot of his policies and raised awareness of his issues, even if things got ugly as the primary went on, and Hillary Clinton, who may otherwise have had trouble due to how the Republicans have been smearing her for decades and demonized her even to people in the middle and on the left, is running against Donald Trump and, barring some unforeseen disaster, is going to absolutely crush him.

End result, we get a female President who is honestly probably better at policy and such than Bernie would have been, possibly a Democrat majority Senate, and the most progressive party platform ever attached to what's looking like it will be a very successful presidential run. It's hard for things to have worked out better. (Democratic control of the House would be nice but I don't think was ever in the cards no matter what happened sadly.)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Artificer posted:

Please explain your thought process where you stated that you don't like Hillary and hoped that Assange had a bomb to drop on her reputation, and yet at the same time you want the best for your gay/transgender friends.

His thought process is that he's racist misogynist trash and he eats attention for food. If the spelling were worse I'd assume Trump figured out how to open Chrome on his phone.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I voted for Bernie in the primaries and I must say that other Bernie voters have really given me a rough time with that decision. Bernie or Bust is so loving stupid.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

His thought process is that he's racist misogynist trash and he eats attention for food. If the spelling were worse I'd assume Trump figured out how to open Chrome on his phone.

Someone else posted that he was posting in good faith. He might be...terribly misinformed. But let's see if he can walk us through his thought process.

Edit: I don't hold a lot of confidence that he isn't a troll, but sure let's give this one thing a shot.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Artificer posted:

Someone else posted that he was posting in good faith. He might be...terribly misinformed. But let's see if he can walk us through his thought process.

No gently caress that, there's no such thing as "good faith" bigotry.

Artificer posted:

Edit: I don't hold a lot of confidence that he isn't a troll, but sure let's give this one thing a shot.
I don't think he's a troll, I think he's sincerely and openly a bigoted shitstain.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Augus posted:

I voted for Bernie in the primaries and I must say that other Bernie voters have really tainted that decision in my mind. Bernie or Bust is so loving stupid.

But that's the thing, Bernie himself is fine and has been steadily trying to warn his crazies off since the primary ended. It was a mistake on his part to rile them up so but I think if someone is so far gone that they think Sanders' messages to vote for Clinton are secret, coded instructions not to vote for her or to vote Trump or whatever, they're loving nuts as is and might've been unreachable.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

No gently caress that, there's no such thing as "good faith" bigotry.

Alright, fair. I'd at least like to see if he can come up with any explanation then.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Augus posted:

I voted for Bernie in the primaries and I must say that other Bernie voters have really given me a rough time with that decision. Bernie or Bust is so loving stupid.

A lot of young people aren't used to losing a game and being told they're no redos or participation rrophies. /s

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

a foolish pianist posted:

Sanders released his tax returns. They were very boring. He makes his senate salary and not much else.

Pretty much, dude is well off but isn't making hella bank.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
It sounds like my dad trying to tell me that Trump "doesn't care what bathrooms you use" as if that's the only thing at stake here and as if Cheeto Benito isn't a compulsive loving liar anyway. :v:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I think Libya is actually the shining moment of Obama/Clinton foreign policy. If we were as isolationist as Johnson or Trump wants to be there would be a massacre worse than that in Syria and we'd still have Gaddafi. If we were more interventionist like Bush 2 we would have another thousand dead GIs and a government that was being constantly undermined and attacked for being created by the US government.

It wasn't a good situation, there weren't any perfect solutions, but the only thing most people remember is that four Americans died in a wild feverish conspiracy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BaDandy posted:

It sounds like my dad trying to tell me that Trump "doesn't care what bathrooms you use" as if that's the only thing at stake here and as if Cheeto Benito isn't a compulsive loving liar anyway. :v:

He doesn't care what bathroom you use but he does think you shouldn't be allowed in the military.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Covok posted:

A lot of young people aren't used to losing a game and being told they're no redos or participation rrophies. /s

That's the thing though, there is a participation trophy. It's the possibility that Clinton might make progress towards some of Bernie's policies. But no we gotta have all or nothing right now so just let Trump ruin any chance of anything good happening.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

His stance on Transpeople mirrors his stance on babies. "I'm fine with it." "Oh no I'm not why did you believe I was this is awful go now."

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Stereotype posted:

I think Libya is actually the shining moment of Obama/Clinton foreign policy. If we were as isolationist as Johnson or Trump wants to be there would be a massacre worse than that in Syria and we'd still have Gaddafi. If we were more interventionist like Bush 2 we would have another thousand dead GIs and a government that was being constantly undermined and attacked for being created by the US government.

It wasn't a good situation, there weren't any perfect solutions, but the only thing most people remember is that four Americans died in a wild feverish conspiracy.

I have no idea how to reconcile things like this with my opposition to the death penalty. I sincerely wish we'd taken Bin Laden alive and put him on trial, but maybe I'm naive. What would that trial even have been, could it possibly have been fair, would there have been any verdict but death at the end of it anyway.

I don't want to live in a country that assassinates anyone, but the more I learn about foreign policy the more I realize there are decisions my understanding couldn't possibly be adequate to make.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Augus posted:

I think most Bernie or Bust people were anti-establishment rather than leftist, a few (major assholes and hypocrites) aside. And, again, I think a lot probably cooled off since the primary ended. At the least, I did, and while I wasn't full Bernie or Bust I, as stated before, was considering not voting since my state's guaranteed blue anyway, before I realized that that was dumb and my vote isn't sacred or special or anything so even if Hillary is the "lesser evil" (I don't think she is anymore) I sure as hell should vote for her.

Any Bernie supporters who really are leftists and aren't idiots are still voting Hillary, even if it may have taken them a little while to calm down after the primary. The ones who aren't weren't leftist to begin with, and/or are huge misogynists. Which, well. '08 saw things like HillaryIs44, and according to polls and whatnot fewer Bernie supporters have gone Trump compared to '08 Hillary supporters going McCain. It's not that bad, it's just that the assholes are loud and annoying and the ones who aren't terrible are already boosting Hillary or just staying quiet, so you notice the former more and remember them after the fact.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 6, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Augus posted:

That's the thing though, there is a participation trophy. It's the possibility that Clinton might make progress towards some of Bernie's policies. But no we gotta have all or nothing right now so just let Trump ruin any chance of anything good happening.

Let's be real: bernie or bust types NEVER cared about policy. They just wanted to stick it "to the man" and show "the establishent" that millenials are "different" and not sheep like "older people."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Covok posted:

And they claim not to be deplorables.

Reminder : A similar thing happened in 2012 with Paul "pumping iron at the gym, but skips leg day" Ryan and a soup kitchen.

Mr. FUCKER HAS TWO FIRST NAMES also ruined kitchen equipment by using undiluted cleaner and may have actually broken into the place.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I have no idea how to reconcile things like this with my opposition to the death penalty. I sincerely wish we'd taken Bin Laden alive and put him on trial, but maybe I'm naive. What would that trial even have been, could it possibly have been fair, would there have been any verdict but death at the end of it anyway.

I don't want to live in a country that assassinates anyone, but the more I learn about foreign policy the more I realize there are decisions my understanding couldn't possibly be adequate to make.

I do not envy anyone who has to make any foreign policy decisions other than "yes we will let reese's cups be sold in the UK."

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

ImpAtom posted:

He doesn't care what bathroom you use but he does think you shouldn't be allowed in the military.

It's almost as if he's wildly inconsistent or something, wow.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
like, i came in kind of annoyed that hillary was declared the winner of the nomination literally on the night before my state's primary, but even then i was taking the attitude of "hillary is fine too" but she's honestly grown on me as a candidate the more i hear about her and see her campaign.

Artificer posted:

bill was really progressive towards lgbt people for his time, he acknowledged that we existed. plus he didn't, for example, ignore us dying by the thousands or spread stigmatizing misinformation about aids when it was already known that it wasn't transmissible via person to person skin contact.

edit: also trump supports the bathroom bill now

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 6, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Roland Jones posted:

I think most Bernie or Bust people were anti-establishment rather than leftist, a few (major assholes and hypocrites) aside. And, again, I think a lot probably cooled off since the primary ended. At the least, I did, and while I wasn't full Bernie or Bust I, as stated before, was considering not voting since my state's guaranteed blue anyway, before I realized that that was dumb and my vote isn't sacred or special or anything.

Any Bernie supporters who really are leftists and aren't idiots are still voting Hillary, even if it may have taken them a little while to calm down after the primary. The ones who aren't weren't leftist to begin with, and/or are huge misogynists. Which, well. '08 saw things like HillaryIs44, and according to polls and whatnot fewer Bernie supporters have gone Trump compared to '08 Hillary supporters going McCain. It's not that bad, it's just that the assholes are loud and annoying and the ones who aren't terrible are already boosting Hillary or just staying quiet, so you notice them more and remember them after the fact.

There was some really vile racism running through the die-hard Hillary camp back in '08, though I don't blame her for it. I remember a conversation with this horrible baby boomer woman who gave me the one-two punch of "you're only voting for Obama because you're black" and "it's okay for me to say stuff like that because my parents invited a black person to our house in the sixties."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Artificer posted:

Sorry for being a little acerbic. Politics gets me really riled up.

Edit: I would like you to explain your comments about Assange destroying Clinton's campaign and how that jives with your care for your friends' well being.

I don't like Hillary and thus was mildly interested in the entirely remote possibility Assange had something on her. I already said I had no intention to vote because I didn't like either one and that my vote wouldn't matter. Apparently I was wrong about that.

I don't want Trump to be president mainly due to the fact he's an idiotic, narrow-minded jackass. You have people predicting literal fascism here in America and World War III. Isn't our government set up to protect against those kinds of things? The myth the president is all-powerful has been discussed and debunked in this very thread. The Congress is where the power lies.

Let me ask you this. If Trump became president, do I genuinely need to worry for the safety of my gay friends? I know some of you are saying I'm a troll but if there is a real chance the alarmism about Trump is genuine, I will absolutely make sure to vote for Clinton. My word may not be much but I mean it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't like Hillary and thus was mildly interested in the entirely remote possibility Assange had something on her. I already said I had no intention to vote because I didn't like either one and that my vote wouldn't matter. Apparently I was wrong about that.

I don't want Trump to be president mainly due to the fact he's an idiotic, narrow-minded jackass. You have people predicting literal fascism here in America and World War III. Isn't our government set up to protect against those kinds of things? The myth the president is all-powerful has been discussed and debunked in this very thread. The Congress is where the power lies.

Let me ask you this. If Trump became president, do I genuinely need to worry for the safety of my gay friends? I know some of you are saying I'm a troll but if there is a real chance the alarmism about Trump is genuine, I will absolutely make sure to vote for Clinton. My word may not be much but I mean it.

YES. JESUS gently caress. The PRESIDENT nominates SUPREME COURT JUSTICES. The GOP has shown that they cannot control Trump. They're going to bend over backwards for the fucker.

Turns out a bunch of people thinking their votes doesn't matter DOES MATTER. And also someone did mention its a referendum basically on Trump Discourse.

MILDLY INTERESTED? You literally posted that you were HOLDING OUT HOPE.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Yes. Especially any who happen to also be hispanic.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Instant Sunrise posted:

like, i came in kind of annoyed that hillary was declared the winner of the nomination literally on the night before my state's primary, but even then i was taking the attitude of "hillary is fine too" but she's honestly grown on me as a candidate the more i hear about her and see her campaign.

bill was really progressive towards lgbt people for his time, he acknowledged that we existed. plus he didn't, for example, ignore us dying by the thousands or spread stigmatizing misinformation about aids when it was already known that it wasn't transmissible via person to person skin contact.

Yeah people might give Bill poo poo for implementing Don't Ask Don't Tell but it was a step up from outright barring the Gays from working in the government (including military), which was around since Eisenhower was in office.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Okay, like, here's the big thing:

Donald Trump, if he wins, will get to nominate at least one Supreme Court Justice. At the moment the court is on the verge of shifting to the left becase Scalia died and his replacement if nominated by Clinton or Obama WOULD drag the court to the left. That's one Justice, with potentials for others over the next 4-8 years which could change the Supreme Court for decades.

Even if literally nothing else in the election mattered, not a single thing, that Supreme Court Justice choice is huge in terms of what will happen when Supreme Court cases involving gay rights or trans rights come into play which they almost certainly will.

That, right there, is key. If Trump wins the Supreme Court will shift either back to its normal status quo or potentially even further right if we lose one of the liberal justices and that will have a giant loving impact on your gay friends.

Covok
May 27, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Trump has promised to nominate an anti-gay SCOTUS and Pence would back him on this. Him winning would also be symbolic that it's okay to hate on the LGBT again to the alt-right.

Publicly and on non-conservative TV.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

HOLDING OUT HOPE =/= I'm merely mildly interested in this thing.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

NikkolasKing posted:

Yes. Trump told Mike Pence he could be the shadow president and make all the policy decisions. I know that sounds insane, but it's true. Mike Pence is a frothing homophobe who supports things like gay conversion therapy, which is literal torture, and abusive laws like the bathroom bill which give the police free reign in arresting and brutalizing LGBTQ people. A Trump(pence) presidency would also get to appoint at least one supreme court justice, which could mean the repeal of gay marriage and a loss of many other rights for LGBTQ people. This is a serious threat. A Republican win this year would make the country measurably less safe for everyone who isn't a straight white christian man.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Yes. A Trump victory is implied majority approval for hateful speech and actions from every rear end in a top hat in the country. Especially because I believe you said you live in Texas, no? Not exactly a bastion of tolerance, there.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

There was some really vile racism running through the die-hard Hillary camp back in '08, though I don't blame her for it. I remember a conversation with this horrible baby boomer woman who gave me the one-two punch of "you're only voting for Obama because you're black" and "it's okay for me to say stuff like that because my parents invited a black person to our house in the sixties."

Yeah, that sort of thing is what I was referencing. There are lovely people supporting every campaign, and as annoying as they can be Bernie's are thus far proving to actually be less bad than historical comparisons.

NikkolasKing posted:

The official Republican platform supports gay conversion therapy, undoing gay marriage, and a lot of other things. Trump isn't as openly bigoted towards LGBT people as he is other people who aren't straight white cis men but he's still awful there, and Pence, who Trump has hinted will basically really be in charge if he wins (and might just outright become President in that case because Trump dying or being impeached are both fairly likely), is extremely anti-gay, having passed the first RFRA in his state and basically caused an HIV outbreak, among other things. Also, him winning would result in Republicans controlling both houses of Congress, the Presidency, and the Supreme Court through his nominations.

A Trump victory would roll back LGBT rights so far and so fast and would undo basically all recent progress and then some. It'd be a disaster.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Also to reiterate, Trump wants to enact nationwide stop and frisk, which will guarantee countless deaths of black men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I'm pretty sure Pence would want that Alabama judge who got kicked out (again) for failing to uphold SCOTUS because he hates gay people that much.

• Locked thread