Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lightning Knight posted:

She is winning the election. That she is unable to win a landslide represents the fundamental truth of the electorate: 39-44 percent of America would happily embrace fascism because they're loving fascists.

39% is a wave election.

ImpAtom posted:

Except white people are historically not prone to voting Democrat. They went 72 to 39 for Romney. Even if Sanders was the nominee there's no reason to assume white men would suddenly flock to him in droves or that he wouldn't suffer low favorabilities with them. Maybe not AS low as Clinton but the argument that any Democrat could suddenly win all the white votes against Trump (whose strongest base are white men) is silly.

They would not need to win "all the white votes" for there to be a wave election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

AceOfFlames posted:

I would go for the minimalist approach:

"Hi, this is Ted Cruz..."
*hangs up*

"Trump stole your dream. *click*."

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

AceOfFlames posted:

*hangs up*

"Oh you're the Republican nominee, right?"
~click~

quote:

39% is a wave election.

I won't be surprised if he ends up there after three debates.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
On the other hand, the most enthusiastic Hillary supporters I've met are old women. Like you take this lovely old lady who enjoys gardening and embroidery and you mention Hillary Clinton and suddenly it's all :getin:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

*hangs up*

Reminds me of the hilarious Never-Trump calls Mitt Romney did during the primaries.:laugh:

"Hello, you pathetic unwashed plebs, this is Mitt Romney..."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

They would not need to win "all the white votes" for there to be a wave election.

Okay. Clinton is not losing Literally All The White Men and is even winning some demographics of the white vote. It is white men (and largely non-college grads) that she has the hardest point with. Claiming Sanders would shift a whole bunch of them vs Trump doesn't have any real weight.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Pick posted:

On the other hand, the most enthusiastic Hillary supporters I've met are old women. Like you take this lovely old lady who enjoys gardening and embroidery and you mention Hillary Clinton and suddenly it's all :getin:

I plan on wearing my grandma's ring when I vote for Hillary in November. I know she'd pull that lever with enthusiasm if she were still around.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Mind_Taker posted:

Is there a breakdown of Clinton's favorables by gender as well? It'd be even funnier and even less surprising if it was just white men that hated her.

Here are numbers from the end of May. They are in no way surprising.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Pick posted:

I have a feeling that there are going to be a lot of women from conservative families that will be voting for Clinton in secret.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

AceOfFlames posted:

*hangs up*

I'd go for fake sympathy combined with utter ignorance, I think it would drive him insane.

"Oh, wow, Mr. Cruz! Gosh, I didn't vote in the primary but I'm such an admirer. I am just worried though, when you're in the VP suite of the White House, who is going to look after Indiana? :ohdear:"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ImpAtom posted:

Okay. Clinton is not losing Literally All The White Men and is even winning some demographics of the white vote. It is white men (and largely non-college grads) that she has the hardest point with. Claiming Sanders would shift a whole bunch of them vs Trump doesn't have any real weight.

All he would need to do is increase millennial turnout while holding the rest of the coalition together. Not implausible at all.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

G-III posted:

I have a feeling that there are going to be a lot of women from conservative families that will be voting for Clinton in secret.

SILENT MAJORITY

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Could Bernie get the black turnout that's expected for Hillary though? He certainly couldn't in the primaries.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

BaDandy posted:

You didn't read the article then. The other main thrust of it was that Hillary was solidly popular until she began running for president, which the Republicans tried to nip in the bud in 2013 with the Benghazi "scandal", while Trump has always been consistently unpopular.

Cuz that's silly, this is true of everyone that runs for office, and it's not like it's some weird technicality we need to skew for. Also, what bothers me about that article is the metric doesn't make sense, when people say she's unpopular historically they're comparing her to other historical candidates, but that article weirdly just compares her to Biden and herself. Like, if we you want to break it down by race, wouldn't you look at Obama, Kerry, Gore numbers by race? The thing just reeks of Slate content-milling, hoping to generate retweets with Clinton boosterism.

I'm not saying there's not an interesting point about the increasing racial polarization of the parties and election, but that article seems more interested in unskewing Clinton's favorability and deriding it as a "sham" and a "meme" rather than actually grappling with it.

quote:

Plus, it's not representative of her being "totally unpopular with everyone" if she's only unpopular with white people, which SHOULD be common sense but apparently isn't.

Who is saying she's "totally unpopular with everyone". I don't think anyone has ever claimed she was unpopular with black voters, for example.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

That's cute as gently caress, motherfucker should have guarded those baby bunnies like she done told him if he didn't want to get socked in the nose

oh wait, I mean "MISANDRY"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bernie sanders is a ratty old dude who pisses and shits himself five times a day and goes to crappy steakhouses, and i hope he is never mentioned again once this election is over

-- a person who supported bernie

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

AceOfFlames posted:

*hangs up*

No, no, no. You want to make him think about what he's done and wallow in self-hatred. He has to be the one to hang up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How could a Sanders candidacy have been better than a Clinton one, if Sanders is so unfavorable with minorities?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

mcmagic posted:

All he would need to do is increase millennial turnout while holding the rest of the coalition together. Not implausible at all.

Haha yeah """millennial turnout""""

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/MonicaCrowley/status/651043858541879296

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

mcmagic posted:

Easier said than done. Bernie would probably be a lot less popular if he was under as much scrutiny as Hillary is.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Endorph posted:

bernie sanders is a ratty old dude who pisses and shits himself five times a day and goes to crappy steakhouses, and i hope he is never mentioned again once this election is over

:laffo: if you think we aren't going to hear "President Sanders would've handled this issue/crisis better if the DNC didn't STEAL THE PRIMARY from him!!!" For the next four years. Especially if he dies in the meantime.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

prom candy posted:

Could Bernie get the black turnout that's expected for Hillary though? He certainly couldn't in the primaries.

We have no way of knowing because it's a counterfactual, same as we have no way of knowing he'd suddenly drive up millennial turnout or do better with whites. There are so many factors at work that this is all entirely speculation; we have no way of knowing how successful he'd be at uniting the party, how much his less organized campaign apparatus was going to matter, etc.

If I was going to engage in this, I'd say Sanders' biggest fear should've been how fast that Favorable was going to drop the second he was getting slammed from all sides by the conservative media instead of being puffed up to try to create division among dems.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

All he would need to do is increase millennial turnout while holding the rest of the coalition together.

"All he would need to do is get a notoriously difficult to rouse base out to vote for him while also having the exact same turnout as Hillary Clinton" is a lot more difficult than you make it sound. You're arguing from the viewpoint of "Clinton had high unfavorables so anyone can do what she did!!" which is why this information is relevant. Clinton's unfavorables are with a single demographic that Sanders is unlikely to shift that much. Clinton's support with millenials has been gradually rising as time goes by in addition.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Endorph posted:

I think Bernie played an important role keeping Hillary honest and pulling her and the DNC further to the left with the enthusiasm of his base and appeal to the youth. It's a shame about the Bernouts but I think he and most of his supporters did good this election cycle.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I see I have to quote myself.

GalacticAcid posted:

If you're a leftist disappointed in Clinton you should be working to either 1) help with close Congressional and Senate races so that she doesn't have the opportunity to make ugly compromises with a GOP congress, 2) engage in direct action on behalf of a non-electoral pressure group like Black Lives Matter, Planned Parenthood, anti-war groups, etc, 3) unionize your workplace and those of others or 4) (editor's note: this is the best one that will help the US Left the most) shitpost about Bernie Sanders in USPol for days and days so we get to read Bi Now Gay Later, fishmech, and computer parts make the same posts they've been making for the past literal year.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Indiana poll out, in favour of Trump 43-38. Romney carried it by 11 in 2012.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I supported Bernie back in the primary, but once it was clear that Hillary would win, I voted for her in my state's primary. I really hope once the 2018 midterms come around there's a similar push by the Democrats to get people to vote. Congress being deadlocked for the literal entire decade would be quite bad

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Periodiko posted:

Who is saying she's "totally unpopular with everyone". I don't think anyone has ever claimed she was unpopular with black voters, for example.

The meme itself is saying that, though? Like not specifically saying she's unpopular with black voters, but the whole false equivalency of being "just as bad" as the Cheeto Elemental is implying that she's unpopular across the board, which she isn't.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

"All he needs to do is massively turnout that historically is the age demographic that doesn't show up. It's so simple!"

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Cythereal posted:

I think Bernie played an important role keeping Hillary honest and pulling her and the DNC further to the left with the enthusiasm of his base and appeal to the youth. It's a shame about the Bernouts but I think he and most of his supporters did good this election cycle.

I'm hoping that she actually follows through with the left wing stuff they promised instead of immediately retreating to the "center."

There's a joke amongst the Canadian pol thread that "libs are gonna lib" meaning that the liberal party here promises to do left poo poo, but doesn't do anything of the sort when they're in power.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Haha holy poo poo.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

God, this entire election is Poe's Law in action. I literally can't tell if this is satire or not.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Bear in mind Pence's favorability is also artificially high because people don't actually know him. Biden is fun but his favorability would also probably be lower among the left if more people were aware of anything he did other than be a charming, smooth motherfucker.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Juvenille held after autistic boy set on fire in Texas.

This offends me.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

The Rokstar posted:

God, this entire election is Poe's Law in action. I literally can't tell if this is satire or not.

She's a conservative columnist. Take a guess.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

mcmagic posted:

Who gives a gently caress? Hillary won, Sanders lost and. other than 2020 political science papers of 'what if Sanders won the nomination', who actually cares? This whole narrative of 'Maybe Sanders might be doing better' is nothing more than intellectual masturbation ignoring anything inconvenient.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
Hot take for mcmagic: Sanders would actually be doing worse.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PST posted:

Who gives a gently caress? Hillary won, Sanders lost and. other than 2020 political science papers of 'what if Sanders won the nomination', who actually cares? This whole narrative of 'Maybe Sanders might be doing better' is nothing more than intellectual masturbation ignoring anything inconvenient.

I would argue that Buchanan (Pat not James) had a legitimate effect on GHWB's bid for re-election, but for the most part who cares about failed primary candidates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Pick posted:

If white people weren't incredibly insecure and populous then Trump wouldn't be the nominee, we already know this.

Republican Primary Voters Aren't Representative of America

• Locked thread