Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Feenix posted:

As is, my fear is that the Apple Watch charging cord is just kinda, pulling slowly off the table. Even with the watch attached it's got no real weight or friction or traction, what have you.

I like the idea of those ones Japtor posted (especially the extra cord hubs) but I kinda want a more slim and elegant watch display.

Was looking at this and it seems cool? Idk.

https://griffintechnology.com/us/watchstand

The scale of the picture makes the Oittm/etc watch dock + usb hub seem a lot bigger than it is. In actuality its pretty drat small, that griffin dock has a much bigger base and is also a lot taller, and will be a bit more hassle to getting your watch on and stable since the entirety of the support for the watch is on the charging mount, leaving you to adjust/balance the angle etc until it rests properly. The magnetic part of the apple watch mount is not super strong so this is a little bit of a concern.

The Oittm dock on the other hand has a little dish it rests in and the shape of it makes it pretty much foolproof. I generally take my watch off and put it on the dock after I've turned all the lights off at bedtime and its not even something that requires thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

rage-saq posted:

The scale of the picture makes the Oittm/etc watch dock + usb hub seem a lot bigger than it is. In actuality its pretty drat small, that griffin dock has a much bigger base and is also a lot taller, and will be a bit more hassle to getting your watch on and stable since the entirety of the support for the watch is on the charging mount, leaving you to adjust/balance the angle etc until it rests properly. The magnetic part of the apple watch mount is not super strong so this is a little bit of a concern.

The Oittm dock on the other hand has a little dish it rests in and the shape of it makes it pretty much foolproof. I generally take my watch off and put it on the dock after I've turned all the lights off at bedtime and its not even something that requires thought.

How does the oittm charge? Is the Apple Charger thing just loose on top or is it stabilized to the oittm somehow?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You guys keep saying the Spigen thing is $6. Where is that? I'm seeing it for $25+ everywhere I look.

$25 is about the price where I'm all "ehh, I'll just leave it on the table"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I went to amazon typed spigen apple watch and the dock thingy for $6 was the second result.

Edit: the 4th result is a nice looking milanese loop knockoff for $12 may need to buy that to replace the worn one I've been using.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh. Oh yeah, okay, I default to amazon.ca which carries ~~nothing~~ of value. Thanks then.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Feenix posted:

How does the oittm charge? Is the Apple Charger thing just loose on top or is it stabilized to the oittm somehow?

There's a mount for the puck, check the pics on the Amazon product page.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

It has a holder you put the end of the charger in. Then you just place Apple Watch horizontal in front of it. Works pretty well. And yes, it is a pretty small sized dock for what it is.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Edit: the 4th result is a nice looking milanese loop knockoff for $12 may need to buy that to replace the worn one I've been using.

I ordered the loop. I'll let you know how it is when I get it Saturday.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Cool music playback trick I've realized, Now Playing can control Spotify playback (and presumably anything else your iPhone can play.)

Not quite as handy as the Music complication, but better than nothing I guess. Quicker than picking up the iPhone, since the iOS Spotify app doesn't provide lock screen controls.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I only just now realized I can swipe down to dismiss a new notifcation, as opposed to scrolling down to find the dismiss button :v:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

enojy posted:

Cool music playback trick I've realized, Now Playing can control Spotify playback (and presumably anything else your iPhone can play.)

Not quite as handy as the Music complication, but better than nothing I guess. Quicker than picking up the iPhone, since the iOS Spotify app doesn't provide lock screen controls.

It also does podcasts, including the 15 second time skip buttons. Great for quickly skipping past ads.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

I only just now realized I can swipe down to dismiss a new notifcation, as opposed to scrolling down to find the dismiss button :v:

Wait you can?? I had no idea.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Man, i know technology drops in value but jesus

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793490

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I would like a sleep tracking app that wakes me up at a good time in my sleep cycle, (like the iPhone sleep cycle app).

Anyone have anything that does that well?

tngffl
May 6, 2008

I agree :-(

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
And I thought I had to unload a watch for pennies. What's goin in there brah? Should easily be able to get 225+

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

cage-free egghead posted:

Wait so I still have to use my charger if I buy a dock? Is there any cheap extra charger solution. I'd like to have a second one at work but not pay $30 for one.
Your options are:
- Puck holder dock, cheap to...not so cheap, bring your own puck cable and USB charger.
- Apple dock (or one of the few other MFI watch ones), $80, puck included/integrated, use lightning cable (not sure if they're all like this though, or if they're included), use your own USB charger (no clue if that's included).
- Oittm or other similar ones we've mentioned, $30, bring your own puck cable (and coil it up inside), multi USB charger integrated.

So if you want another independent charger to leave around it's either $80 for the integrated one or $30 for another cable, plus whatever for a dock (of whatever variety) if you want that, and if you don't have a free USB port/charger, a USB charger if you get a charger-less one.

MarcusSA posted:

Wait you can?? I had no idea.
I think I posted about that the last time this came up :v:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

That... doesn't seem so bad though to me? Two year old tech product going for less than half price; it might not keep its value like a Mac or iPhone but that's still pretty good relative to other tech products.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Agronox posted:

Two year old tech product going for less than half price

Apple watch went on sale 15 months ago

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'd blame Best Buy and whichever other retailers had a fire sale on the Series 0 leading up to the refresh. They were selling new SS models with SS link bands and Milanese loops for like $250.

tngffl
May 6, 2008

enojy posted:

I'd blame Best Buy and whichever other retailers had a fire sale on the Series 0 leading up to the refresh. They were selling new SS models with SS link bands and Milanese loops for like $250.

Basically.

They are currently going for $250 brand new and ~$215 open-box with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-apple-watch-38mm-stainless-steel-case-black-sports-band/4274900.p?skuId=4274900

tngffl fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 7, 2016

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Apple watch went on sale 15 months ago

Wait, really? My apologies then, I thought it was farther back.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Wait is that a series 1 or a series 0? Cause 150ish for a s0 is fine

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Wait is that a series 1 or a series 0? Cause 150ish for a s0 is fine

Its an original $550 watch is whats nuts.

But thats what happens when you pay $200 more for an ounce of stainless over an ounce of aluminum

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Got a Series 1, really like it so far, except Slack continues to send me notifications even though:

1) I uninstalled the app from my watch and
2) I turned off Slack under "mirror iPhone alerts from"

Is there some other setting I'm missing?

tngffl
May 6, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

Its an original $550 watch is whats nuts.

But thats what happens when you pay $200 more for an ounce of stainless over an ounce of aluminum

Agreed. 5 weeks ago it was $550.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
It was also a first gen pos until os3 which just came out. If you invested half a k in an Apple Watch and didn't think it was going to plummet you're foolish with money, tbh.

the ss s2 is the sweet spot, now, though. Great features and not much they can add in a year other than battery life and maybe a lil faster.

Early adopters are the worst historians.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rear end Catchcum posted:

I'm a long time apple early adopter and know exactly what to expect. It's just the way it goes. I still have a MessagePad 100 in a box somewhere. I think a whole lot of apple early adopters are like that.

And the interesting thing is, in terms of usability, the watch has only gotten better. So this is one of the better early adoption experiences, resale prices be damned.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Could be worse. I looked on eBay for fun and saw a new in box yellow gold Edition (original price around $10k) go for $4,900. Ouch.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Rick Sanchez posted:

Got a Series 1, really like it so far, except Slack continues to send me notifications even though:

1) I uninstalled the app from my watch and
2) I turned off Slack under "mirror iPhone alerts from"

Is there some other setting I'm missing?
Do you have the watch set to automatically install Watch apps?

tngffl
May 6, 2008

rear end Catchcum posted:

It was also a first gen pos until os3 which just came out. If you invested half a k in an Apple Watch and didn't think it was going to plummet you're foolish with money, tbh.

the ss s2 is the sweet spot, now, though. Great features and not much they can add in a year other than battery life and maybe a lil faster.

Calm down killer..... good lord. Nobody was complaining and saying they were upset it dropped. It is what it is. Lupre just said it is crazy how much the product dropped comparitively. I actually have loved my series 0 and my wife loved hers over the past 15 months and do not agree that it was a pos. That being said, I look forward to the series 2 that are on their way to my home!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
So if you're 5 calories short of your move goal at midnight, rolling your phone back one time zone gives you another shot.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Smart replies are busted on my watch. It works fine in messages on my phone and I think it used to work on my watch, but now the suggestions are basically defaults every time.

e: I think I just figured it out. In the messages settings for my watch there were a bunch of "default replies" setup with greyed out text, exactly what it was suggesting every time. If you press the Edit button in the top right, you can remove those or just drag the Smart Replies item to the top of the list.

AWWNAW fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 9, 2016

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Trip report: knock off milanese loop discovered from the earlier "spigen dock" Amazon search is pretty solid. Looks nice, I like it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just checking... Apple Watches (even the new S2) take a fucklong time to boot up, yeah?

Just making sure mines not wonky. Talking Apple logo for 2 min, give or take...

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Feenix posted:

Just checking... Apple Watches (even the new S2) take a fucklong time to boot up, yeah?

This has been my experience.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Feenix posted:

Can verify from S0, at least.

The plus side is that I've had mine since shortly after launch and only had to boot it up maybe 5 times max, excluding software updates.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Yes ny S2 takes forever to turn on if it's completely off.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Also for me. Takes a gently caress load of time on my S2. What's weird is that I've had mine reboot spontaneously from time to time. Usually when messaging back and forth and using emoticons or the new fanciness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

I had mine reboot randomly today. I wasn't even using it. I just happened to raise my wrist to see the time and it was on the apple logo when I did.

• Locked thread