Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Artificer posted:

loving FINALLY. Now to stop them from getting little kids to do the dirty work for them. Or to pressure them into suicide.

Pakistan also passed new anti-rape laws, including death penalty for raping minors and the disabled, and also pressing forward on the use of DNA in rape cases. Previously a lot of clergy had been against DNA evidence for rape since Islamic law requires multiple eyewitnesses instead.

Do note that a lot of the really reactionary Pakistani laws (like ones that went easy on honor killings) are relatively recent, as Pakistan went hardcore right and religious in the 1980s-1990s when the government made a lot of concessions to win the support of the religious. It's easy to mistake some of this stuff for long-standing backwardness, but a lot of countries with currently really religious-influenced laws used to be a lot more secular. Yet another reason the "West vs East" arguments a lot of bigots buy into are so damaging, they push people into interpreting progressive values as a foreign attack and empower reactionaries.

Not endorsing conservative reactions as justified, just noting that treating those values as inevitable/inherent just strengthens folks with bad values and pushes fence-sitters to the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Pakistan also passed new anti-rape laws, including death penalty for raping minors and the disabled, and also pressing forward on the use of DNA in rape cases. Previously a lot of clergy had been against DNA evidence for rape since Islamic law requires multiple eyewitnesses instead.

Do note that a lot of the really reactionary Pakistani laws (like ones that went easy on honor killings) are relatively recent, as Pakistan went hardcore right and religious in the 1980s-1990s when the government made a lot of concessions to win the support of the religious. It's easy to mistake some of this stuff for long-standing backwardness, but a lot of countries with currently really religious-influenced laws used to be a lot more secular. Yet another reason the "West vs East" arguments a lot of bigots buy into are so damaging, they push people into interpreting progressive values as a foreign arrack and empower reactionaries.

Oh yeah absolutely. Religious conservatist backlash has cropped in in places like Bangladesh and Lebanon as well iirc so. :(

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah, Putin is a real loving monster and directly responsible for most of this. We put up the canvas with our fuckery in Iraq and Russia has been happily painting it in blood.

It really seems that Russia has just decided to try and go balls out to do as much killing as they possibly can before the next president comes into office.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

comingafteryouall posted:

The little girl from Aleppo's twitter in one of the NY Times opinion pieces posted earlier is brutal :smith:

https://twitter.com/AlabedBana

This is heartbreaking not because it's a little girl on twitter in the middle of a warzone, but it's that there were thousands of other little girls out there they're all dead.

I don't even know what in the gently caress we could do to fix that. I remember reading a few pages ago about how foreign policy decisions are so complex that most of us couldn't handle making them, but Syria is something else entirely. :(

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

withak posted:

At first glance I thought the title started "Corn Cob..."

To be fair, this is a woman I can picture who'd scream "I'M NOT OWNED! I'M NOT OWNED!" in increasingly desperate tones.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

On Terra Firma posted:

This is heartbreaking not because it's a little girl on twitter in the middle of a warzone, but it's that there were thousands of other little girls out there they're all dead.

I don't even know what in the gently caress we could do to fix that. I remember reading a few pages ago about how foreign policy decisions are so complex that most of us couldn't handle making them, but Syria is something else entirely. :(

There's a lot of innocent people loving dead, and somehow global violence on the whole is decreasing, last I heard. Somehow. :(

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/784215234839977984

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Oh gently caress are they trying to "the nazi was inside you all along" their way to the presidency?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Unfortunately, as hosed as it is, I do agree we should not get involved in Syria

As it is it's a moot point. Whether we want to or not we can't get involved in Syria without coming into direct armed conflict with a nuclear power, something which is absolutely not an option.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Maybe if Trump believes it enough, he will become president.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

Both, to some extent. It's an assumption to think that it's possible we'll get back to August numbers at any point in this race or that Trump is incapable of putting in a passable performance - which to his supporters and media would be a "win".

Trump will not put in a "passable" performance in a town hall debate against Hillary Clinton. You can take that to the bank.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

It's gonna be great when NC goes blue, I can't wait to see what this dork says.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump will not put in a "passable" performance in a town hall debate against Hillary Clinton. You can take that to the bank.

That Anderson Cooper is moderating

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Didn't he do something really specific to piss off Cooper?

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Truly the nominee trying to make anime real. Trump's campaign is going to realize the power was within them all along, and their friendship will overcome Clinton's overwhelming force and experience.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol sounds like you have a medical emergency on your hands then

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Truly the nominee trying to make anime real. Trump's campaign is going to realize the power was within them all along, and their friendship will overcome Clinton's overwhelming force and experience.
That worked out great for Japan in the war - it's why we had to give up California!

Wait, this isn't an Amazon original series at all.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Dude earlier was saying Trump should make it so that anchor babies are sent back with their parents and considered citizens abroad until they are 18 when we will let them come back

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Unfortunately for them they're the ones powered by hatred and you know how that tends to go in anime compared to people powered by love and friendship.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I've been surprised before

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe the real 270 electoral votes were the friends we made along the way

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

This fucken election, man.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
...and that's how the Trump learned to love Christmas.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Gurren Lagann is not a documentary, Mister Mitchell

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
A Trump supporter sleeps inside each one of us. We must kill him.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Unfortunately for them they're the ones powered by hatred and you know how that tends to go in anime compared to people powered by love and friendship.

I was going to ask when was the last time the characters powered by love and friendship had overwhelming odds and numbers, then I realized we're already in the part of the story when you can tell the good guys will win. Trump is the villain who doesn't have friends, only lackeys. Trump is out there campaigning by himself while Clinton has like 6 friends that have all learned to work together.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I was going to ask when was the last time the characters powered by love and friendship had overwhelming odds and numbers, then I realized we're already in the part of the story when you can tell the good guys will win. Trump is the villain who doesn't have friends, only lackeys. Trump is out there campaigning by himself while Clinton has like 6 friends that have all learned to work together.

The most powerful of whom was even her enemy in a bitter fight where she lost before they learned to work together!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Night10194 posted:

The most powerful of whom was even her enemy in a bitter fight where she lost before they learned to work together!
When'd she fight Joe Biden?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
We're at the part right before Hillary pierces herself with the arrow.

Soon Trump will be punched into an infinite death loop, but instead of dying it's just constant humiliation over and over, forever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Night10194 posted:

hey now, trump has one of those too

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

You're thinking of this place all wrong. As if I had the GOTV back in a safe. The ground game's not here. Your game's in Joe's house...right next to yours. And in the Kennedy house, and Mrs. Macklin's house, and a hundred others!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

someone tell this guy what "ground game" actually means.
wait, never mind, don't.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

BaDandy posted:

We're at the part right before Hillary pierces herself with the arrow.

Soon Trump will be punched into an infinite death loop, but instead of dying it's just constant humiliation over and over, forever.
Ted Cruz severs his hand to distract the Castro brothers as he makes good his escape

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

7c Nickel posted:

A Trump supporter sleeps inside each one of us. We must kill him.

Abort your future Trump supporter today. Support Planned Parenthood.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Nessus posted:

Ted Cruz severs his hand to distract the Castro brothers as he makes good his escape

We all thought that Bernie died in the primaries, but he lived on, in order to give Hilary the strength she needed to defeat The Don.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

hey now, trump has one of those too

Lol that's not a friend, that's a dark magical experiment created by harvesting human suffering and hatred.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/784231081520226304?s=09

:lol:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lol that's not a friend, that's a dark magical experiment created by harvesting human suffering and hatred.

if anime's taught me anything, it's that something like that is even more likely to become a friend

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
If not already posted(Can't read, gotta pack), video of Cruz cold calling for Trump:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/watch-ted-cruz-leaves-voicemails-asking-voters-to-support-man-who-insulted-wife-dad/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
I wonder if it went like this... Cruz fanfic incoming...

2012:
(R) Establishment: Don't do this poo poo don't let our supporters get too hosed up and don't let them expect a moron to represent them else it will backfire.

Cruz: I'm doing what I want, RINO!!!

(R) Establishment: Its going to backfire, moron.

Cruz: No it won't!

... 2016 ... around the time of the RNC...

(R) Establishment: See? See what you tea partier shits have done? They want a moron.

Cruz: Whatever I don't need you, they will support me.

... 2016 late September...

(R) Establishment: Trump is hosed for the debates. When he loses, we are primarying you, everybody of any value will make you look like scum, every newspaper, every pundit. You're hosed.

Cruz: No!!!

(R) Establishment: You're going down with him...

Cruz: No!!!

(R) Establishment: ... and Pence is one of ours... and we're gonna kill your dog...

Cruz: Auugghhhh... *runs to Trump, groveling*

• Locked thread