Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah it's like something out of a storybook. Kids generations from now are not going to believe it actually went down that way.

I mean I can scarcely believe that this is actual real life and I'm watching it unfold. This isn't how reality is supposed to work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Jazerus posted:

Even Boosted wants off the Trump train now

:sad:

From pages back, but link please. I want to see him squeal.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Ok i go watch the Cubs at a bar, play games with friends, and see 1200 new posts. Did the Trump train go deeper?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Instant Sunrise posted:

this.

as much as we like to talk about this in the abstract about how it's going to sink trump's campaign, this is rape culture at it's worst that enables behavior like this. for the 1 out of 4 of women who are survivors, hearing these comments replayed and talked about on the news repeatedly is going to make things way harder for them.

This but re: immediate family of mine. Luckily that family member got the help she needed, was able to move to a different part of the country where different family members lived and were more supportive so she wasn't languishing in an environment where her own family took every opportunity to call her a whore for getting raped and instead had a solid circle of family/friends to feel safe around, etc.

Trump's poo poo puts me in a really weird/bad place between sarcasm/cynicism and vertigo-inducing bouts of quiet rage.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Ok i go watch the Cubs at a bar, play games with friends, and see 1200 new posts. Did the Trump train go deeper?

Second knuckle deep at least.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Sexual assault is super serious business, but I am dying at this:

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/784615850930237440

Someone please tell me it's okay I'm laughing. Those FACES.

I'm half a planet away and just now after like a week looking at news again, and lolol yes it's OK to laugh

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Sexual assault is super serious business, but I am dying at this:

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/784615850930237440

Someone please tell me it's okay I'm laughing. Those FACES.

That one dude looks like the G-Man from Half-Life.

"Wake up Mr. Trump, and smell the ashes"

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Young Freud posted:

That one dude looks like the G-Man from Half-Life.

"Wake up Mr. Trump, and smell the ashes"
That's Andre Bauer, former Lt. Governor of South Carolina who literally within the presence of three other women dismissed the controversy as two dudes engaged in "guy talk".

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

You have to remember that a bunch of Anti-Clinton people are not anti-Clinton for sane reasons - instead that they believe that the Clintons have literally orchestrated the murders of dozens of political opponents in a campaign of death going back over 40 years.

Also Clinton plays 11D chess so Donnie is still hosed unless this timeline is a strategic lost for the greater win of Cosmic Queen.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ted posted:

That's Andre Bauer, former Lt. Governor of South Carolina who literally within the presence of three other women dismissed the controversy as two dudes engaged in "guy talk".

Oh my GOD THAT'S EVEN FUNNIER.

Sexual assault is not in any way funny and I ache for survivors, but oh my loving God.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Oh my GOD THAT'S EVEN FUNNIER.

Sexual assault is not in any way funny and I ache for survivors, but oh my loving God.
What if I told you that he also said the Washington Post was acting unethically by releasing a "privately-recorded video"?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

PhazonLink posted:

Also Clinton plays 11D chess so Donnie is still hosed unless this timeline is a strategic lost for the greater win of Cosmic Queen.

I kind of ran into this when I was complaining to my friends about South Park's debate cartoon. The over rehearsed statement at the wrong time is a fine joke, but it really doesn't make sense to me because Clinton is not that dumb. She's not run a perfect campaign, but she's definitely run an excellent one, and the praising of male mediocrity over female excellence is in full effect.

I feel like there's some serious misogyny lenses on people, and in 30 years we're going to be semi-nostalgic for Clinton like LBJ. I started this election with grim knowledge of voting for her, and it's wrapped around to honest respect and expectation. Perhaps better than Obama.

Like, I think a lot of it is that I can remember the racist bullshit Obama had to slog through, which affected me personally, so to realize the same is happening with misogyny is eye-opening.

I still would have preferred Sanders, and I wouldn't say genius level work, but if anyone thinks she's just coasting along on Trump's awfulness they have their head up their rear end.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Russia is condemning the UN for criticizing Trump for his deplorable human rights views

quote:

Russia reportedly complained to the United Nations last month about criticisms of Donald Trump launched by the organization’s high commissioner for human rights. Diplomats say Vitaly Churkin, the Russian ambassador to the UN, spoke with Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon in private about it. Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein, the human-rights commissioner, strongly denounced Trump and European populist politicians, comparing their strategies to those employed by ISIS. “In what may be a critical election for leadership of this country later this year, we have seen a full-frontal attack—disguised as courageous taboo-busting—on some fundamental, hard-won tenets of decency and social cohesion that have come to be accepted by American society,” he said. The type of complaint Churkin made, dubbed a “demarche,” rarely focuses on a specific person, and is notable in the context of Russia’s continued praise of the GOP nominee.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Zerilan posted:

I'm in a state that will never in a million years go for Clinton planned from the start to vote. I'm kind of hoping some sort of follow up story breaks tomorrow though just to guarantee Trump spends the night before the debate up until 5am coked up and tweeting.

Trump is not going to appear at the debate on Sunday. I doubt anyone associated with the Republican campaign will let him. He's going to be made to turtle up and try to fight off going to prison on rape charges.

The campaign is over. The question is whether or not the GOP will try to ask for an extension on polling day to put up a new candidate, and whether the Democrats will feel accommodating in the name of preserving the Republic.

e:

foobardog posted:

I still would have preferred Sanders, and I wouldn't say genius level work, but if anyone thinks she's just coasting along on Trump's awfulness they have their head up their rear end.

The main reason Trump was even still in the race in the face of a campaign as ultimately good as Clinton's is that Trumps candidacy is revealing real and worrying flaws within the electorate itself, and ones that probably need to be addressed to preserve the future of the Republic as a capital-letter institution.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 8, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Zerilan posted:

As bad as Trump's melting down right now I can't help but be lightly arzying that things are looking too lopsided and somehow Clinton is going to gently caress up at the debate in some manner. Maybe it's just from how poorly Kaine looked being way too eager to be on the attack.

The best insight I heard about the VP debate was that Kaine was debating like he wanted to be the 2016 vice president (taking on the first officer attack dog role so the captain can look benevolent) whereas Pence was debating like he wanted to be the 2020 president (acting like his running mate was someone other than Donald Trump).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

Trump is not going to appear at the debate on Sunday. I doubt anyone associated with the Republican campaign will let him. He's going to be made to turtle up and try to fight off going to prison on rape charges.

The campaign is over. The question is whether or not the GOP will try to ask for an extension on polling day to put up a new candidate, and whether the Democrats will feel accommodating in the name of preserving the Republic.

e:

The main reason Trump was even still in the race in the face of a campaign as ultimately good as Clinton's is that Trumps candidacy is revealing real and worrying flaws within the electorate itself, and ones that probably need to be addressed to preserve the future of the Republic as a capital-letter institution.

There is no way they'll keep Trump away from the debate. He's wrapped his ego up in it. This is his chance to fight back on national TV.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The best insight I heard about the VP debate was that Kaine was debating like he wanted to be the 2016 vice president (taking on the first officer attack dog role so the captain can look benevolent) whereas Pence was debating like he wanted to be the 2020 president (acting like his running mate was someone other than Donald Trump).

yep, it's why despite "winning" the debate, everybody agreed Pence lost.

you're a VP ya dingus, your job is to go out and tell everybody how great your candidate is, not lie through your teeth and pretend he doesn't exist.

then saying they aren't running a negative campaign and aren't deplorable

its like mafucker, everybody still in the tank for your team is super proud of all the poo poo talking and are buying billboards in swing states bragging about being deplorable

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kaine's entire purpose at the debate was to get Pence to take bait if at all possible on "Man can you believe all this weird poo poo that your running mate has done that I'm about to list off?" and basically pretend like Mike Pence might as well have been Donald Trump. He was too overzealous for the first 15-20 minutes, and the whole thing made for really weird, disjointed viewing.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
At the next debate I hope Hillary brings up the tape and Trump says "Senator, you’ve whipped out that pussy thing again!"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Not even sun up and the Trump disintegration machine is already at work. Daily Beast reporting that the married woman in the "grab her pussy" video is Nancy O'Dell, who worked for his Miss USA pageants in 2004 and 2005. He apparently had tried to fire from the 2007 pageant her when O'Dell got pregnant. She was under contract with NBC, so they overruled Trump and she ended up hosting the 2007 pageant with a co-host.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
What do you suppose Hillary has been doing for the last twelve hours.

Like in my head I have a picture of her in a mud bath with cucumber slices over her eyes listening to beethoven and an aide walks in and shows her the front page of the NYDN and she just flatly says "good" and goes back to her mud bath.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SpaceDrake posted:

None of this will happen. Arzy needs to be unbanned to restore some balance to this thread now

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bushiz posted:

Like in my head I have a picture of her in a mud bath with cucumber slices over her eyes listening to beethoven and an aide walks in and shows her the front page of the NYDN and she just flatly says "good" and goes back to her mud bath.
She's been cackling like Mallory Archer and sipping on mixed drinks with her heels up on the desk in her main office.

I really think she understands at this point that a race against literally anybody else would have been anything from a to-the-last-day dogfight to a likely loss, and instead she gets put up against a candidate who pretty much started out by running for President ironically.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Crazy Ted posted:

Kaine's entire purpose at the debate was to get Pence to take bait if at all possible on "Man can you believe all this weird poo poo that your running mate has done that I'm about to list off?" and basically pretend like Mike Pence might as well have been Donald Trump. He was too overzealous for the first 15-20 minutes, and the whole thing made for really weird, disjointed viewing.

People also keep forgetting/not noticing that Pence's strategy was to drone on and on through the debate time and run out the clock. Kaine basically had to interrupt to say anything. I mean, he got pretty into it when he started interrupting Pence's solo time, but still.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bushiz posted:

She probably posted "this poo poo gets funnier with every sip of my coconut rum" on the some thing awful forums.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

People also keep forgetting/not noticing that Pence's strategy was to drone on and on through the debate time and run out the clock. Kaine basically had to interrupt to say anything. I mean, he got pretty into it when he started interrupting Pence's solo time, but still.
The problem is that Tim Kaine isn't a natural attack dog and it looked forced during the opening minutes of the debate.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Samovar posted:

From pages back, but link please. I want to see him squeal.

Boosted_C5 posted:

Confirm Merrick Garland ASAP

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Boosted_C5 posted:

Mike Pence 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Bill Mitchell tweet session tonight may be the most pathetic thing I have ever read.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Zerilan posted:

As bad as Trump's melting down right now I can't help but be lightly arzying that things are looking too lopsided and somehow Clinton is going to gently caress up at the debate in some manner. Maybe it's just from how poorly Kaine looked being way too eager to be on the attack.

I just signed up to phone bank for Hillary today.

If you had asked me if I would ever consider doing that just 7 days ago I would have laughed, said I don't have time for that poo poo, and I'm not an impulsive person, I don't change my mind easily.

This is a stupifyingly enormous, campaign-ending scandal that will have an impact well beyond the top of the ballot.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

ImpAtom posted:

There is no way they'll keep Trump away from the debate. He's wrapped his ego up in it. This is his chance to fight back on national TV.

What I mean is that he's not going to be allowed to attend. Large, burly men will restrain him and place him and his big ego under essential house arrest if that is necessary. There is no way on Earth the GOP leadership will allow him on camera on Sunday after this.

The "vote extension" thing probably won't happen (it's more that I suspect a lot of GOP folks are dearly wishing there was a mechanism to ask for that right about now) but I honestly believe Trump will be forced to no-show the debate on Sunday. I cannot conceive of anyone involved allowing him anywhere near a camera and a stage with Hillary Clinton on it this weekend. If it does happen then it's going to be a farce for the ages.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It's gonna happen and it will be amazing.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

SpaceDrake posted:

This too, honestly. In an area where my expectations for what Americans would accept from their candidates was subterranean, we've moved through the Earth and come out on the other side in Wonderland.

Maybe Obama was right, the waters have begun receding, but it's revealing all the alligators we thought were no longer in the swamp.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

SpaceDrake posted:

What I mean is that he's not going to be allowed to attend. Large, burly men will restrain him and place him and his big ego under essential house arrest if that is necessary. There is no way on Earth the GOP leadership will allow him on camera on Sunday after this.
Uhh....they can't legally stop him from attending since Trump is the official nominee. If the GOP actually did some form of house arrest, it would be kidnapping and they'd be reacting to a scandal by creating a brand-new and completely different one.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Jesus. The projection continues.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

The "vote extension" thing probably won't happen (it's more that I suspect a lot of GOP folks are dearly wishing there was a mechanism to ask for that right about now) but I honestly believe Trump will be forced to no-show the debate on Sunday. I cannot conceive of anyone involved allowing him anywhere near a camera and a stage with Hillary Clinton on it this weekend. If it does happen then it's going to be a farce for the ages.

No one is in a position to stop Trump from doing anything. There is no such thing as the Republican leadership. If there were, he never would have won the primary.

Plus Trump still has Secret Service protection, any GOP goons physically trying to stop Trump would be arrested or worse.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I just realized that I'm going to be on a plane while the second debate is happening :suicide:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

SpaceDrake posted:

e:

Exactly. Trump shows that even now, you can be a total incompetent fool with no redeeming qualities, but still get dangerously close to the presidency so long as you tap into the white rage of the electorate and decades of smear campaigns against your opponent. That is what should be terrifying.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

SpaceDrake posted:

e:

Even in the weird situation where the GOP requested an extension (never mind the laws in place regarding the date), why on earth should the democrats agree? "Preserving the Republic" my rear end, a bunch of racist, mysoginist idiots made their bed and they should have to sleep in it. They shouldn't get to claim a do over because they don't like how its going.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

That's what makes this so amazing. That's absolutely what they need to do, but they can't. They have to resign themselves to watching him desperately flail around on stage and make everything worse and their best hope is getting started on planning the damage control early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The GOP stopping Trump from campaigning would be the end of the GOP as a party.

That's what's so glorious about this, the GOP's options are all just shades of how hosed they are. The GOP didn't do its due diligence and now everyone's gonna ride this out. Strap in boys and girls.

As to what Hillary is doing right now, she's preparing furiously, of course.

• Locked thread