Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

WampaLord posted:

I can't believe I went to bed early last night.

Hillary's going to exceed her post-DNC polling numbers within the next week or so.

I don't see how it's possible she doesn't just walk away with it now. I mean, a similarly terrible comment by Clayton Williams helped Ann Richards win here in Texas. A woman and a Democrat. In Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the Ann Kirkpatrick Senate campaign. She's running against McCain, and as far as I know, McCain hasn't actually revoked his endorsement.

I hope they nail his balls to the wall over this.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Thundercracker posted:

He's actually a Persona pulled from the collective zeitgeist of America. Some kid wandered into velvet room and fushed Mara with the GOP.

For quadruple extra hilarity, in Persona 5 the first major villain is basically a rapist teacher who behaves in a similar manner to the way The Donald describes in the video.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

Is it possible to get 110% in polls? Do we need to get Steiner in here?

"See normally when you go one on one with another politician, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But I'm a Political Freak and I'm not normal!"

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I was sick and spent almost all day yesterday in bed. Anyone got a good article(s) summary? Could use a concise recap on what I missed.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

From a story I saw on The Hill...

Do these people - I've seen a number of Republicans tonight express the same sentiment - not realize that you don't get to change the nominee after absentee balloting has started and his name is already on all of the ballots?

They know they'll lose hard, they just understand that they're going to lose just as hard with Trump and trying to cut him loose now, even if they fail, may help the GOP in the long term.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

JonathonSpectre posted:

They could have run literally anyone else and won.

They had like 20 people to choose from. But they've worked so hard to make their voters mindless drones who hate everything that they just couldn't stop a vicious, hatemongering con man.

And now the monster they've so gleefully ridden for half a loving century is devouring them a piece at a time, slowly, horribly, and in full view of the voting public.

Bleed, you motherfuckers. Bleed. Bleed away the Senate and (dare we dream?) the House. Bleed away all your legitimacy and claim to be a real party. Bleed away any chance 95% of people under 50 will ever vote for you again. Just bleed, and bleed, and bleed through these constant, unstoppable, oh-so-foreseeable wounds until you shrink down to the racist rump party you are.

We need a German word for the feeling I have right now. Schadenfreude isn't nearly strong enough.

This feels like a direct message beamed to myself from a month ago when I was saying I wanted Trump to be crushed so future generations would know you can't get away with this poo poo. Except this is way more elegant than anything I could've said.

It's God awful we needed this to get here but at least he won't do any more damage now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SpaceDrake posted:

For quadruple extra hilarity, in Persona 5 the first major villain is basically a rapist teacher who behaves in a similar manner to the way The Donald describes in the video.
Too bad Persona is a fantasy world and his story ends with his feelings being magically altered so he just tearfully confesses everything.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

If any of you are expecting Trump to get less than 40-42 in this race without Trump outright dropping out you are going to be disappointed.

However, eight points is still a landslide.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I was sick and spent almost all day yesterday in bed. Anyone got a good article(s) summary? Could use a concise recap on what I missed.

Tape was released where Trump said he could just walk up and grab women by the vaj because he was famous. After eight hours of frantic retakes trying to get a usable prerecorded apology, his campaign released a tape that was described as him being held at gun point to apologize and, surprise, he didn't really apologize and essentially called Bill the real predator. He also ended by challenging Clinton to the debate.

There, now ya caught up.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Antti posted:

If any of you are expecting Trump to get less than 40-42 in this race without Trump outright dropping out you are going to be disappointed.

However, eight points is still a landslide.

40 to 42 isnt eight points

Its twenty to sixteen

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I'm assuming some Trumpers would have moved to Johnson if Trump only gets 40.

Anyway, what happens if we are looking at a ten point landslide after white women abandon Trump, white men are more Republican than 2012 and we get a little higher minority turnout?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
30% of the popular vote is real and can happen

You're about to see what that takes

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I don't get it, how was I supposed to know that the guy who won't stop saying terrible things is a terrible person?

You know what's even more hosed up? To some people, he was the best option.

I'm going to use the New York Post as an example. They endorsed Trump in the primary with the expectation he would pivot. They liked his "no-nonsense" attitude in the primaries, but said he needed to work on his language and outreach. They, of all people, should have known who Trump was for the 25 years prior. Did they really think he would turn on a dime at 70 years old and after he got such publicity for being a racist asshat?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

quote:

A source told AP that Trump’s running mate, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, was “beside himself,” and Pence’s wife was furious.

quote:

Ryan said Trump would not be appearing with him at a scheduled event in Wisconsin. Pence will be attending in Trump’s place.

He's pivoting guys! Right into the alt right.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/784723120003440640

quote:

According to source, Roger Stone has been advising Trump to play rape card with Bill Clinton. Last night's "apology" video suggests he may

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/784722416266248192

quote:

Sources say Bannon frustrated Trump got off trade/immigration message, down spiral accelerated after disastrous debate and 3am tweet storm

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/784721166644744192

quote:

conversations with Trump advisers and allies over last several days reveal picture of a campaign in utter chaos, consumed with infighting

It looks to me there's more and more leaks, clear sign of a healthy and positive campaign imho.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Look, who among us can say we haven't said or done reprehensible things at age 59, before we matured and learned right from wrong.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rookersh posted:

He's pivoting guys! Right into the alt right.

That he's going there (and still part of the campaign at all really), and that Ryan's allowing him to come rather than telling him to get hosed, shows that the denouncements and chastisements from most Republicans are just for show. They had to say something here or get brought down too, but they're not going to do anything.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rookersh posted:

A source told AP that Trump’s running mate, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, was “beside himself,” and Pence’s wife was furious.
"It's not just immigrants and foreigners he wants to gently caress anymore, it's people like ME!"

I don't want to suggest that conservatives wouldn't be better off changing even this late but holy poo poo this is bad timing to suddenly get a conscience.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

That he's going there (and still part of the campaign at all really), and that Ryan's allowing him to come rather than telling him to get hosed, shows that the denouncements and chastisements from most Republicans are just for show. They had to say something here or get brought down too, but they're not going to do anything.

Err, no. Read the piece.

Ryan and Priebus disinvited Trump to a rally. Instead they've now invited PENCE.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Heres the finale: Trump can't win off this, I mean purely logically the Republican's have lost any possibility of arguing he is the best man for the job. They can continue to attack Hillary and say how bad she is, but now they have to stop short of saying how great Trump is. You can't win elections off not being the other guy, John Kerry tried this and he was against a hell of a lot easier situation and time.

Whether it's a landslide or not is immaterial, winning by an inch or a mile is the same thing when the other team has no paths to victory.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Trump should have called up Hannity to do a special live segment where he would apologize.

Think of how unstable Trump is on a good day, and then what he will be like after 48 hours of being eviscerated and mocked. The debate is going to be the first time he has faced any reporter since the tape came out, and I don't think he is going to be able to contain his desire to lash out, his prepared talking points, and all the town hall debate coaching he received.

Trump ideally would have gone a step further than Hannity and sat down with a female reporter from a non-Fox network, let them grill him, apologize and get the initial shock of talking about this out of the way. A Sunday morning talk show is too late because you risk creating more news and only a few hours to prepare a response.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rookersh posted:

Err, no. Read the piece.

Ryan and Priebus disinvited Trump to a rally. Instead they've now invited PENCE.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. That Pence didn't leave the campaign and is instead going to the rally, and Ryan's fine with him being there, shows that the Republicans are doing the bare minimum possible. They chastise Trump, Ryan refuses to be seen with him since it'd look bad after his posturing over the sexual assault bill, no (major) unendorsements happen, and in a day or two (or less) it's back to attacking Hillary.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
So what are the odds we see Jeff Flake 2020 once the dust has settled from the Trumpocalypse?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

lozzle posted:

So what are the odds we see Jeff Flake 2020 once the dust has settled from the Trumpocalypse?

Him or, say, Ben Sasse won't survive the white-hot ball of rage that is the Republican primary electorate.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Sorry if this has been posted, but on the chance it hasn't, it's too good.

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/784615850930237440

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Pence is only the VP nominee because literally everyone else refused the call.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Coheed and Camembert posted:

You know what's even more hosed up? To some people, he was the best option.

I'm going to use the New York Post as an example. They endorsed Trump in the primary with the expectation he would pivot. They liked his "no-nonsense" attitude in the primaries, but said he needed to work on his language and outreach. They, of all people, should have known who Trump was for the 25 years prior. Did they really think he would turn on a dime at 70 years old and after he got such publicity for being a racist asshat?

That appears to be his approach with women as well. Women try to sell him on business ideas. If he finds them attractive, he then sexually assaults them. Some of them play it off while still trying to do business. Some, in desperation, submit and become his concubines.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

TyrantWD posted:

Trump ideally would have gone a step further than Hannity and sat down with a female reporter from a non-Fox network, let them grill him, apologize and get the initial shock of talking about this out of the way. A Sunday morning talk show is too late because you risk creating more news and only a few hours to prepare a response.

This is one of his campaign's biggest weaknesses- he simply can't play the game. He doesn't understand how, or why you would, and he's incapable of following through even if he could.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Trivia posted:

Sorry if this has been posted, but on the chance it hasn't, it's too good.

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/784615850930237440

It has been, but it's so good I'll watch it again.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

I'm not ready for this debate

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I honestly have no idea what we're in for tomorrow night.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

This dude be talkin' like he ever know what chicks at a bachelorette party are like.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

the minimart down the street from me is having a sale on microwave popcorn, which i feel is very timely

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

This is one of his campaign's biggest weaknesses- he simply can't play the game. He doesn't understand how, or why you would, and he's incapable of following through even if he could.

He won the primary specifically because he wouldn't play the game and "Told it like it is". As long as that disconnect between the primary and the general election exists, Republicans are never going to get the White House again.

Oxxidation posted:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

edrith posted:

the minimart down the street from me is having a sale on microwave popcorn, which i feel is very timely

Only if the popcorn is already popped and your microwave turns it back into a kernel.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I am from N.Ireland and hate/fear Trump more than is probably reasonable. But before I get my hopes up, can anyone persuade me that this latest episode is not hyperbole and it really should be the death knell of Trump's chances?

I don't want to offend anyone but the image that gets portrayed here is that the kind of people who want to vote Trump can't be dissuaded by loving anything.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

kaesarsosei posted:

I am from N.Ireland and hate/fear Trump more than is probably reasonable. But before I get my hopes up, can anyone persuade me that this latest episode is not hyperbole and it really should be the death knell of Trump's chances?

I don't want to offend anyone but the image that gets portrayed here is that the kind of people who want to vote Trump can't be dissuaded by loving anything.

Trump never actually had a chance, this just means it'll be more of a landslide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

kaesarsosei posted:

Look at the front page of Fox News right now. He is done.

• Locked thread