Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Xand_Man posted:

Sorry man but that's what it is.

Clinton brought the subject up unprompted, she praised the Reagans for doing a thing they have been publicly criticized for not doing for years, and her apology was 2 loving sentences, one of which plausibly have been 'I'm sorry (that their record was so lovely)'

Maybe it's in poor taste but it was definitely intentional

she's said america's worst war criminal is a close friend and that wasn't an attempt to get the media to dogpile him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

negativeneil posted:

The Clinton camp kept their powder dry and held this tape through SO many negative media cycles. They managed to time it to nullify the Wikileaks drop, remove any moral high ground Donald might pretend to stand on in the next debate, and completely embarrass the Speaker of the House hours after he signed a bill protecting victims of sexual assault SIMULTANEOUSLY. That's maybe the best play I've ever seen in politics. Holy poo poo.

Oh right, I was sitting this, so epic delayed response:
I think the plan was this: wait and see for the first debate. If Trump royally steps in it at the debate (he did) sit on it longer. If Trump came out looking ok after the debate, let it loose.

Now, that also assumes they knew about it. I wouldn't be surprised if they did, and that they routed it through the one reporter they knew was going to publish it: David Fahrenthold of WaPo, who has been relentless on his Trump Foundation work.

If it was just sheer luck, that works too.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Honestly, the Republican Party has no reason to _want_ Trump to drop out now.

The Presidential election is about 90% lost cause but, realistically, it always was. Trump is many things but he is not a True Republican Conservative[TM] so therefore everything that's gone wrong with this election is his fault, not theirs, and the Very Serious Conservatives can wag their fingers at the rabble and say see, we TOLD you! And the message going forward will not be "our ideology got its rear end kicked" but rather "we let an orange clown get the nomination, the election was tainted by his nonsense so Hillary has no mandate and we must obstruct her at every turn, hey look at Hillary Scandal #3781."

He's a perfect scapegoat for a party that wants to keep following the same path and find someone to blame for why it's declining.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I would like to imagine that Trump Campaign HQ is literally that meme with all the stick figures running around saying "oh noes!"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

fishmech posted:

Well they're busy ranting about Jewish speeches now:

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/784564871883087872

Increasingly nervous Assange.txt

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

fishmech posted:

I guess I should have expected you to see nothing wrong with calling speeches "Jewish".

I'm pretty sure he was talking about what she said, not the wiki leaks tweet

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

I guess I should have expected you to see nothing wrong with calling speeches "Jewish".

I don't see what you are getting at here. I want to know why Wikileaks thinks its controversial for Clinton to be telling the truth about Saudi Arabia.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Pastrymancy posted:

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/784788062916210688

I wonder how the Trump camp is spending their weekend before the debate...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

iospace posted:

Oh right, I was sitting this, so epic delayed response:
I think the plan was this: wait and see for the first debate. If Trump royally steps in it at the debate (he did) sit on it longer. If Trump came out looking ok after the debate, let it loose.

Now, that also assumes they knew about it. I wouldn't be surprised if they did, and that they routed it through the one reporter they knew was going to publish it: David Fahrenthold of WaPo, who has been relentless on his Trump Foundation work.

If it was just sheer luck, that works too.

It was almost certainly sheer luck.

But the thing is, the article about the show that found the tape? It mentions they were inspired to look at their old Trump interviews BECAUSE he melted down at Machado and they thought there might be something publicity grabbing in there. In other words, while this was a break beyond the Clinton Camp's wildest dreams, it did come partly thanks to their excellent strategy at baiting him.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
That Wikileaks tweet seems to have forgotten to add triple parentheses around certain key words.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

A petulant child like Trump, knowing he's lost, would only speed up his transformation into an imp-human hybrid. I'm hoping he uses the next debate to say everything he's been "holding back."

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

she's said america's worst war criminal is a close friend and that wasn't an attempt to get the media to dogpile him.

Henry Kissenger is neither America's worst war criminal nor even America's worst alive war criminal.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Subvisual Haze posted:

That Wikileaks tweet seems to have forgotten to add triple parentheses around certain key words.

You don't need the parentheses when you just come out and say they're Jewish.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Does SNL have enough time to dunk on this tonight

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Night10194 posted:

It was almost certainly sheer luck.

But the thing is, the article about the show that found the tape? It mentions they were inspired to look at their old Trump interviews BECAUSE he melted down at Machado and they thought there might be something publicity grabbing in there. In other words, while this was a break beyond the Clinton Camp's wildest dreams, it did come partly thanks to their excellent strategy at baiting him.

I wonder if other shows are now scrambling to find their own "grab them in the pussy" tapes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Like 'Let's make this guy explode and look like a loser, keep our oppo research ready if it doesn't take, and pounce on anything it shakes loose' is still excellent strategy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Patton Oswalt I believe gave them free reign to do coke in prep for this.

Because what the living gently caress how do you even do this? :psyduck:

Also:

MonkeyOnFire
Jun 3, 2004
I LOVE MONKEYS

I'd bet good money they've been working on it all night.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

delfin posted:

The Presidential election is about 90% lost cause but, realistically, it always was. Trump is many things but he is not a True Republican Conservative[TM] so therefore everything that's gone wrong with this election is his fault, not theirs, and the Very Serious Conservatives can wag their fingers at the rabble and say see, we TOLD you! And the message going forward will not be "our ideology got its rear end kicked" but rather "we let an orange clown get the nomination, the election was tainted by his nonsense so Hillary has no mandate and we must obstruct her at every turn, hey look at Hillary Scandal #3781."

He's a perfect scapegoat for a party that wants to keep following the same path and find someone to blame for why it's declining.

This is true. Expect lots of people of "call on" Trump to drop out, but not exercise any actual effort into seeing him removed. He's the perfect ogre for all the other GOPers to heroically condemn and take brave moral stands against at this point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bip Roberts posted:

Henry Kissenger is neither America's worst war criminal nor even America's worst alive war criminal.

he has the most deaths to his name. mcnamara died years ago and still wasn't on his level.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
As delicious as its been to see Trump's campaign in a full tailspin,

delfin posted:

I'm with this sentiment, the more chance those loving ghouls have to un-endorse, the earlier they can try to distance themselves from him and pretend it never happened in 2 years, and it'll get conveniently ignored they were perfectly fine with all sorts of repugnant poo poo being said about religious and racial groups for an entire calendar year (for this election cycle, not talking about their policies in general for, well, since the founding of the party). It's been there this whole time, they just found a convenient opportunity to jump off the titanic, and I can only pray the GOP actually gets held accountable for this entire deplorable candidacy.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

I've been reading Live from New York, and they've put stuff together sooner.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DLin71/status/784782733302173696

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Groovelord Neato posted:

he has the most deaths to his name. mcnamara died years ago dude.

But Rumsfeld is still alive.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

At the same time unendorsing and trying to dunk on him will anger their base. Their base that let a loving fascist yam hijack a major party. Their base that they do not actually have any control over anymore.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm imagining Hillary refusing to shake Trumps hand at the debate and just gives him a death glare and the crowd chanting E C loving W

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

lozzle posted:

You don't need the parentheses when you just come out and say they're Jewish.

For anyone not following @onlxn:

https://twitter.com/onlxn/status/784791205347336193

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Trump probably won't drop out but I would be really interested in knowing what Penceworld is doing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This person is the greatest satirist of our election.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
It feels like decades of karma are finally catching up with the GOP, carried by an orange golem of their ideals.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

delfin posted:

the problem with this is the small faction of die hard trump supporters. the gop establishment will need to be very careful not to split them off from the party by dumping on trump because a lot of these folks love trump more than the party

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"islamist terrorism is bad," she said, jewishly.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
It's truly wonderful when you stop and realize that 2016 saw the downfall of both Roger Ailes and Donald Trump, two truly reprehensible human beings by any reasonable metric. The fact that in both cases, it was due to their attitudes and approach towards women, is just the delicious ironic icing on an already wonderful cake. :v:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Geostomp posted:

It feels like decades of karma are finally catching up with the GOP, carried by an orange golem of their ideals.

Need to win a Senate majority as well before we start getting too smug

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I cannot wait to see the Democratic Attack ads for Republican Senators who endorsed Trump just interspersed with that footage.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

boner confessor posted:

the problem with this is the small faction of die hard trump supporters. the gop establishment will need to be very careful not to split them off from the party by dumping on trump because a lot of these folks love trump more than the party

Yeah, for some reason people criticize Clinton for generating justification for republicans to escape Trump like it's a thing that can happen without repercussion.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's truly wonderful when you stop and realize that 2016 saw the downfall of both Roger Ailes and Donald Trump, two truly reprehensible human beings by any reasonable metric. The fact that in both cases, it was due to their attitudes and approach towards women, is just the delicious ironic icing on an already wonderful cake. :v:

Don't forget the death of Scalia.

illcendiary posted:

Need to win a Senate majority as well before we start getting too smug

I know, but even this much is a victory after the GOP's reprehensible stunts.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'm so glad karma caught up to Ted Cruz and he endorsed just before Trump's two week trainwreck started. :unsmith:

Endorph posted:

a 98% chance of winning? jesus christ could rise again and he'd be getting 60% of the vote, max.

Jesus Christ would also have terrible support from the religious right because of his views on social welfare in addition to being non-white and therefore a pretender in their eyes.

Moxie posted:

Why would anyone assume this

I hope Hillary rebuilds all the mental healthcare that Reagan destroyed because millions of people like Scott Adams are in dire need of extensive psychiatric care.

iospace posted:

Patton Oswalt I believe gave them free reign to do coke in prep for this.

Because what the living gently caress how do you even do this? :psyduck:

Also:

This needs to be in the OP, and updated daily. :allears:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I just want to say that sometime in the last two hours I became aware of all of this having happened (read: Access Hollywood and then the NYT story)

It was a long night last night.

Anyway, I'm feeling pretty dizzy. Should I just read these posts or what the gently caress? Can I just sit down somewhere? Are we going to win all 50 states?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Ailes is going to go down twice, the second timd lashed to the oars of Donald's sinking ship.

• Locked thread