Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Inafune has been killing it these past few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z is seriously one of the worst games I've ever played. It's not really buggy or anything just genuinely not a good game in any way. Yaiba is like DmC x 1000.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

How does Inafune manage to be a producer/executive producer in so many good games yet half of his modern-ish stuff is really drat terrible. Guy has like two personalities, one of them just doesn't give a single poo poo about games anymore.

I think his last good game was Dead Rising 2? What the hell happened directly after that

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

Inafune has been killing it these past few years

Yeah, he's been killing good franchises left and right!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

smuh posted:

How does Inafune manage to be a producer/executive producer in so many good games yet half of his modern-ish stuff is really drat terrible. Guy has like two personalities, one of them just doesn't give a single poo poo about games anymore.

I think his last good game was Dead Rising 2? What the hell happened directly after that

Inafune had a strong production team behind him at Capcom. Comcept he's relying on outsourcing and hiring off the Capcom C-teams. If you look at the Comcept staff members he brings on they're mostly "worked on level design in Mega Man Star Force" stuff.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Producers also aren't game designers

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I thought ReCore was supposed to be pretty decent and mostly hurt by technical issues that are presumably patchable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

I thought ReCore was supposed to be pretty decent and mostly hurt by technical issues that are presumably patchable.

ReCore has a strong basic gameplay but terrible level design and tons of unnecessary padding that sour the whole experience.

It genuinely feels like a $20 game that they were told to pad out to a full retail release, didn't quite manage it, and 'compromised' by making it $40 and neither short and sweet nor long and fleshed-out.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
oh yeah this isnt games related i guess but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRDbDvM-Cc4

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

chumbler posted:

Apparently it falls apart halfway through and becomes a series of tedious fetchquests? From what I've heard that is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why would you subject yourself to that game?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Why would you subject yourself to that game?

the rental place is closing now, and they told me every game was ten dollars except yaiba

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/GoileNintentoad/status/785136440699125760

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Goddamn SJWs are at it again

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Thank god they got rid of that boob window on that washing machine, I was getting all hot and bothered here

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they censored out the washer bones

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

When I was a kid I was confused why Banjo was supposed to be a washing machine but looked more like a dryer, I had no idea that front-loading vs. top-loading was a European thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, I guess it's time to get angry at Nintendo for removing that washing machine's vagina bones

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Are top loading washing machines like that common in the US?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

They're the vast majority of the ones I've seen, yes. I only ever see front-loaders at laundromats

Top-loaders are washers, front-loaders are dryers.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

They're the vast majority of the ones I've seen, yes. I only ever see front-loaders at laundromats

Top-loaders are washers, front-loaders are dryers.

First Trump, now this....

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Hell they're the ones I've seen the most in europe, so that's a pretty weird regional change. I guess they must have done research to determine that most countries in EU have machines with windows though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

smuh posted:

Hell they're the ones I've seen the most in europe, so that's a pretty weird regional change. I guess they must have done research to determine that most countries in EU have machines with windows though.

They're mostly front loaders in the UK, I've only seen top loaders as like a super budget/space saving option.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I've used both top loading and front loading washing machines pretty often soooo idk

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Beat Dark Souls III :toot:

Except the Nameless King, gently caress that guy :confuoot:

Check out my King Vendrick costume

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Jay Rust posted:

Beat Dark Souls III :toot:

Except the Nameless King, gently caress that guy :confuoot:

Check out my King Vendrick costume

Nice! I summoned 2 peeps to help me kill Nameless king because yes, gently caress that guy.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

NK woulda been alright if not for his lovely as hell first form

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The first form takes like 20 seconds

The Nameless King owns, it was my favourite boss in the game maybe behind Gundyr

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I love the nameless king fight, although I do wish that either a) the first form didn't happen again on subsequent fights after beating it for the first time, or b) the health of the dragon contributed to his overall health bar.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 9, 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Has anyone had any luck with the heavier, slower weapons? They seem to be pretty terrible, what with the changes to poise and the extra stamina they consume.

I got through the game using a long sword that had dropped very early on, infused with Raw, paired with the pyromancy weapon buff. The times I found a cool-looking greatsword or greathammer (I.e. most greatswords and greathammers), I upgraded them to near-max then used them for all of one room, because I couldn't handle how I only had the stamina for two or three swings, versus the six or seven I could manage with my long sword. I dunno

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
With heavy weapons in DS3 you pretty much have to play it like using the heavy weapons in Bloodborne. The old days of staggering enemies to death with greatsword hits are pretty much gone, you have to focus on dodging while sneaking in swings.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Has anyone had any luck with the heavier, slower weapons? They seem to be pretty terrible, what with the changes to poise and the extra stamina they consume.

I got through the game using a long sword that had dropped very early on, infused with Raw, paired with the pyromancy weapon buff. The times I found a cool-looking greatsword or greathammer (I.e. most greatswords and greathammers), I upgraded them to near-max then used them for all of one room, because I couldn't handle how I only had the stamina for two or three swings, versus the six or seven I could manage with my long sword. I dunno

I forget its actual name but I used the giant meat cleaver machete thing (and upgraded to the boss version of it) for all of my first run and it felt really strong

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Mann posted:

I wish they kept the older portraits, where Elliott looked like an actual dweeby writer instead of Fabio and Harvey didn't have a pedostache and look twice as old as all the other dudes you could marry.

Harvey hitting on Maru creeped me out so loving much.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i thought you divorced yourself from viewing the stardew valley villagers as anything but bytes in the code

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

oddium posted:

i thought you divorced yourself from viewing the stardew valley villagers as anything but bytes in the code

No, what I said was that it's difficult to really get into the romances since you only ever get to know the characters superficially. A way older-looking guy talking about rubbing sunscreen on his younger employee is still mad creepy even if you're not privy to their inner life.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

imagine how it must feel for the villagers, who can't understand the complex nuances of love

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Welp OK I'm gonna do it; I'm gonna play all the Yakuza games (that have been localized)

First game; few hours in:

It's aged pretty well in terms of looks- it kind of cheats in the city scenes by putting this weird blurry filter over everything so you can't tell how low-poly things are in general but it winds up giving the game kind of a unique look.

Fighting gameplay is simple but good enough brawling and trying to set up Heat Moves has not gotten old yet

This is one with an English dub and it's bad in places but amusingly so. Doesn't really bother me.

You have this quasi-open-world design thing going on but in a good way where actual Things To Do are densely packed into a relatively small area that feels alive with activity. Lots of personality in the environment. The JRPG-style random thug encounters on the street have not become annoying yet- don't know how fast it loaded on the original hardware but I'm emulating off of an SSD so the load times are veeeery minor annoyances.

I'm really enjoying the game so far!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I went to an anime convention yesterday and played some wheel of fortune there again and won this

http://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/3656/Nendoroid+Petite+x+Mini+4WD+Racing+Miku+2012+ver+drives+Astute+Special.html

It's a cute model kit with a tiny miku thing, and hell, free poo poo is cool

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This is honestly even weirder than it appears, having just gotten to this part in the game - it exists in the world creating a giant whirlpool coming out of the top. It seems like it would be a hassle to both remodel it and change the animation so that the whirlpool comes out of the front or whatever (or vice versa, I dunno which one they came up with first).

E: I looked it up and they kinda just tilted it sideways. Even weirder though, in the US version the room it's in is like an actual furnished laundry room with shelves and clothes and things, but in the EU version there's just rocks???

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

Welp OK I'm gonna do it; I'm gonna play all the Yakuza games (that have been localized)

First game; few hours in:

It's aged pretty well in terms of looks- it kind of cheats in the city scenes by putting this weird blurry filter over everything so you can't tell how low-poly things are in general but it winds up giving the game kind of a unique look.

Fighting gameplay is simple but good enough brawling and trying to set up Heat Moves has not gotten old yet

This is one with an English dub and it's bad in places but amusingly so. Doesn't really bother me.

You have this quasi-open-world design thing going on but in a good way where actual Things To Do are densely packed into a relatively small area that feels alive with activity. Lots of personality in the environment. The JRPG-style random thug encounters on the street have not become annoying yet- don't know how fast it loaded on the original hardware but I'm emulating off of an SSD so the load times are veeeery minor annoyances.

I'm really enjoying the game so far!

yakuza is Very Good and people who want more shenmue should maybe just realize that they're pretty much the same thing

• Locked thread