Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Not sure why people keep talking about "kill shots," "fatal blows" and "silver bullets" as if one was necessary tonight or any other night for the Clinton campaign. The election is over and has been so a while, and everything that is being done is to make an indestructible wall to victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Not sure why people keep talking about "kill shots," "fatal blows" and "silver bullets" as if one was necessary tonight or any other night for the Clinton campaign. The election is over and has been so a while, and everything that is being done is to make an indestructible wall to victory.

Blood is in the water. We Sharks wanna feed.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Amergin posted:

The debate doesn't happen without him. Without him, it's just a little town hall for Hillary that will garner 0 attention.

EDIT: Unless they get it to be a Fox News interview 1-on-1 with Hillary, but she/her campaign wouldn't play ball with that.

If you think a presidential nominee refusi ng to debate their opponent for the first time in history will be a nothing event i have a bridge to sell you. This is a straw to grasp if you think this is in any way a brilliant move.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Trump is holding none of the cards in this, none.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The whole thing about whether Trump would withdraw or be dumped somehow seems silly to me.

I see no scenario where the head of the ticket withdraws or is booted with a month to go that doesn't result in massive loss both up and down the ticket for that party, for reasons that should be fairly obvious if you imagine the scenario for even a moment.

The only meaningful aspect of it is whether it gives the people in the party any fig leaf of respectability going forward into future elections but I honestly think it's too late even now for the GOP to salvage that no matter what. The only people who can come out slightly clean are Kasich, Flake, Sasse.

Ditto for Pence. He's hosed either way as far as I can see. Ultimately he made the big decision to be on the ticket and that ties him to Trump forever even if he left now. The only reason for him to leave now is not any practical political reason to preserve a future shot at the Presidency (he has none), it would be for personal reasons like he actually felt disgust, shame, moral revulsion to be tied to Pussy Grabbing Guy and if stuff like the Paula Jones circus actually make him feel sick to his stomach being associated with it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Lid posted:

Trump is holding none of the cards in this, none.

Wrong, he's holding five aces and he thinks it's gonna help him win with a five of a kind.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

T. rex doesn't want to be fed T. rex wants to hunt.

Also it helps down ballot voting. I'm embarrassed to be the red district in a sea of blue around me.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Not over til it's over.

Reminder of Trump's unprecedented fear mongering and essentially blatant calls for his supporters to run voter intimidation tactics on election day.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Tiler Kiwi posted:

they're good insofar that they've sort of fully realized the art of pushing and manipulating narratives.

Not among the people outside of Breitbart's target market. Trying to make Bill's infidelity a key campaign issue is a good case in point. As is going full tilt into the "lock her up" thing. Both are really stupid things for the candidate themselves to be doing. That they have Trump doing that straight out of the gates in the debate is not a good sign for the campaign, and a good reason for other GOP members to be skittish.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Lid posted:

If you think a presidential nominee refusi ng to debate their opponent for the first time in history will be a nothing event i have a bridge to sell you. This is a straw to grasp if you think this is in any way a brilliant move.

Yeah. And the third debate is I think supposed to be on foreign policy/national security issues(?) that are supposed to be Trump's strong suit, with a Fox News moderator to boot.

Furthermore, only people who are winning big in an election (like Trump was in the primaries) have the leverage to call the shots to do things like skip out on a debate. Trump is not in that position, he's losing and losing big.

He actually needs debates as they represent opportunities with free media hype and exposure where if he performs well he can make up ground in a way nothing else in the campaign provides (except unpredictable events like economic crashes, super storms and stuff the candidates have no control over). A debate is like an extra possession in a football game, gives you another chance to score a touchdown.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 10, 2016

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If Trump skips the third debate, Hillary will get 500 EVs on election day. Skipping a debate is not a winning strategy for him.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If Trump skips the third debate, even aside from the additional damage it'd do to his campaign, that event becomes a primetime interview between Chris Wallace and Clinton.

A free 90-minute soapbox where she gets to field all Wallace's questions (hardball and softball alike) without interruption or pressure, lay out her policy plans without rebuttal, and make infinite jabs at Trump's cowardice. Will as many people watch? Perhaps not. But it'll be a home run with basically everyone who does.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

someone actually died in my local er a few weeks ago after a 28 hour wait without seeing a doctor and the coroner called our hospital the worse in the western world. i personally had to wait 6 hours in the er with a broken jaw as a kid. yea the healthcare i "free" or whatever but its incredibly bad and costs 50% of our whole budget. All the rich people are definitely going to the USA for treatment.

Haha in which Canadian province does healthcare cost 50% of the budget?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

FlamingLiberal posted:

Bannon/Conway are the perfect people for Trump because they will just buy into his nonsense and amplify what he says to his crazy alt-right supporters. They are not the kind of people you want to have in charge of a national campaign.

https://twitter.com/sullivanamy/status/785368613377179648

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Wrong, he's holding five aces and he thinks it's gonna help him win with a five of a kind.

please fancy, he had a family.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

remusclaw posted:

Blood is in the water. We Sharks wanna feed.

Trump blowing up so completely that the GOP abandons him is probably not ideal, honestly. It's better for him to stay just competitive enough with his own base that the rest of the party stays tethered to him. The best hope for a real down ballot blowout is for the Republicans to ride the Trump train to the end.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Plus, Trump leaving or getting booted is too easy an out for him. I want him to be eating the vote results on Election Night.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

eviltastic posted:

Not among the people outside of Breitbart's target market. Trying to make Bill's infidelity a key campaign issue is a good case in point. As is going full tilt into the "lock her up" thing. Both are really stupid things for the candidate themselves to be doing. That they have Trump doing that straight out of the gates in the debate is not a good sign for the campaign, and a good reason for other GOP members to be skittish.

Yeah people don't actually believe that specific nonsense, outside of the people in the right wing camp or the people just parroting whatever their side says, but I have noticed that among centrists I've spoken to, the overall narrative that those stories are meant to create, that of "crooked hillary" and poo poo, catches on, and Trump's outrages are sort of canceled out in their minds without them bothering to really verify their authenticity. They know what the Trump dudes says is poo poo, so they just of reflexively annihilate whatever bit of Trump embarrassment is in the news since now they're both "just as bad". It's very much a "quid pro quo" sort of thing going on that undecided people seem keen to fall for.

I think their tactics are held up, thankfully, by the fact they're legit loving awful people that alienate a ton of people and they have a tendency to eat their own, but its the sort of disinformation campaign stuff that worries me. Trump in a sane world should not have gotten this far; I think the fact he has despite being an incredibly terrible human being is a testament to the effectiveness of Breitbart propaganda. I worry someone more palatable and "respectable" will show up in four years to become the great white hope who hasn't so far managed to do poo poo like record himself bragging about sexual assault or the like. Like Pence.

this is my own personal arzy i guess.

e: I get the sense that the undecideds really want to believe Trump, not because they're horrible, but because the whole story of Take Back Real America has that fascist fools gold lustre quality that hits on romanticist notions.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 10, 2016

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Regarding the health care debate a couple pages ago, and the usual idiots that seem to surface and try to defend the US health care system and attack single payer setups, I always have a great personal anecdote.

Years ago in the US I had pain strong enough to show up to an ER in the middle of the night, got an ultrasound, and was kicked out a couple hours later with nothing but some suggestions and a 7k bill I couldn't pay back then.
In Australia I had the same pain in the middle of the night, showed up to an ER, got seen a half hour later, ultrasound 3 hours later, keyhole surgery 5 hours after that, had a lovely private room and was discharged from the hospital the next morning with absolutely 0 dollars owed.

Yeah... keep talking about how lovely health care is outside of US. America has the worst loving healthcare possible in the first world.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

Trump blowing up so completely that the GOP abandons him is probably not ideal, honestly. It's better for him to stay just competitive enough with his own base that the rest of the party stays tethered to him. The best hope for a real down ballot blowout is for the Republicans to ride the Trump train to the end.

Oh I know. It's a tight rope walk at this point. We have to string him and them along all the way up to election day, dropping scandal after scandal but trying to avoid the real murder blow until like Nov 5-7 for maximum carnage. I don't even know that anyone even has such a real killer available, and if it's not in the Clinton's hands, it could easily be dropped early like the Pussy bus tape. Feels good to see them squirm though, just need to edge until the time is right.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Zwabu posted:

Plus, Trump leaving or getting booted is too easy an out for him. I want him to be eating the vote results on Election Night.

It'll be cool when he's dead as a slab before the polls close central time.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

I disagree. The main factor in a downballot blowout is how motivated republicans are to bother voting.

The more Trump blows up, the more demoralized they'll be, and the less likely they'll be to go to the polls-- whether or not the downticket Republicans keep their wagon hitched to him.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Gyges posted:

The Birther movement had it's first iteration back in 2004 when he ran for Senate. It would have started even earlier when he ran for Illinois Senate but no one gives a poo poo about secret Kenyans in their state house. Especially if said secret Kenyan is representing a black area.

A guy named Barack Husein Obama, son of a Kenyan, born in Hawaii, and raised, among other places, in Indonesia was always going to get called out on not being American. Because we're assholes who like to pretend we aren't racist while being racist as gently caress. The fact that it persisted and was championed by clowns like Donny just goes to show what racist pieces of poo poo the country is infused with.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

trash person posted:

I'm really glad ~48 hours of Trump and his team's brainstorming led literally only to, "Hey guys what if we just made Bill Clinton shake hands with his accusers???"

Can you switch usernames with Amergin

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Didn't the pussygrab source say there was more and there was worse? Or was that just Clinton?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Paradoxish posted:

The "civil war" dynamic would be pretty brutal. The Republican party kind of can't survive angry white men turning on them.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

It'll be cool when he's dead as a slab before the polls close central time.

Yeah, too tired tonight but tomorrow morning I want to take a look at 270towin and game out what's the earliest time 270 EVs can be confirmed, if, say, she wins the whole Midwest, FL, NC and VA.

Someone asked me "what if he doesn't concede"? If he's getting his rear end beat BIGLY, I would think that she could wait a couple hours after hitting 270 EV and then just give her speech. No reason for her supporters to have to stay up til 1AM or not hear a victory speech just because he decided to be a tool like always.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Zwabu posted:

Yeah, too tired tonight but tomorrow morning I want to take a look at 270towin and game out what's the earliest time 270 EVs can be confirmed, if, say, she wins the whole Midwest, FL, NC and VA.

Someone asked me "what if he doesn't concede"? If he's getting his rear end beat BIGLY, I would think that she could wait a couple hours after hitting 270 EV and then just give her speech. No reason for her supporters to have to stay up til 1AM or not hear a victory speech just because he decided to be a tool like always.

If he's losing exit polls in Georgia you can probably call it a day.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Didn't the pussygrab source say there was more and there was worse? Or was that just Clinton?

Can everyone just agree to call it pussygate?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

I think someone said that Access Hollywood had more footage, but I don't know who said it. But it was definitely a thing someone said on CNN the last few days

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Tom Guycot posted:

Igrab Cuntra Affair

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

It's pussyghazi by the style of these times.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The NY times flowchart says FL, NC, VA end it. Those three will be earliest unless FL fucks up and goes slow.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bip Roberts posted:

It's pussyghazi by the style of these times.

Pussghazi?
Benpussi?

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

DeusExMachinima posted:

Hillary doesn't want it and basically nobody in America wants to pay the tax rate necessary to make single payer happen. Deal with it.

I will.

I will deal with it.

For about ten to twenty years less than you will.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If Trump blows up and the party abandons him, he'll tell his supporters to go vote for him and leave the rest of the ballot blank.

His debate performance tonight will jazz up those supporters, and the upcoming video releases of him being a shitler won't phase them but will lead to more un-endorsements.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
gently caress adding gate to the end of scandals. gently caress it forever.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

someone actually died in my local er a few weeks ago after a 28 hour wait without seeing a doctor and the coroner called our hospital the worse in the western world. i personally had to wait 6 hours in the er with a broken jaw as a kid. yea the healthcare i "free" or whatever but its incredibly bad and costs 50% of our whole budget. All the rich people are definitely going to the USA for treatment.

which hospital is this because i certainly have heard nothing about it or you could be full of poo poo that also has no understanding of triage. like holy poo poo your post is incredibly full of poo poo.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 10, 2016

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Pussghazi?
Benpussi?

It's the Igrab-Cuntra Affair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I prefer Assaultgate to Pussygate. I guess it has less swing to it but it's something you can say on TV and clarifies the problem is sexual assault and not bad language.

• Locked thread