Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Inferior Third Season posted:

I don't know how to interpret this. Is this to be taken literally, and we definitely won't be getting anything, or is this a wink wink nudge nudge to an underling to leak it because top-level brass can't be seen authorizing it?

Eichenwald from Newsweek went off a bit yesterday with a variety of threats aimed towards Burnett, with the goal of convincing leakers they'd be protected. I assume this is, in part, relating to that.

The content of the threats was mostly (paraphrased) "Leak to us, they're welcome to sue. I've heard all sorts of slime about Burnett but since reality TV is staggeringly unimportant, nobody has bothered to follow up. But If they're going to give us the chance to do discovery, we'll be all over that. So please, leak to us. Burnett's too scared to sue us, and if he's not, we'll make back every dollar we spent in legal fees protecting you by ruining his career"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Zwabu posted:

So the Loras poll in Wisconsin has Clinton up 8 but Feingold down 5?

Feingold has been outperforming Clinton in WI, typically up double digits or high single digits in all the polls I've seen. So not really sure what to make of that.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Bad Moon posted:

I can't believe Ken Bone and I are the same age BMI.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Inferior Third Season posted:

I don't know how to interpret this. Is this to be taken literally, and we definitely won't be getting anything, or is this a wink wink nudge nudge to an underling to leak it because top-level brass can't be seen authorizing it?

What it's essentially saying is that Burnett will not sue if the tapes are leaked

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

As gleeful and smug as I've felt these past few days, I just wish it were the 9th already so the small part of me that's still arzying can finally stop

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Aerox posted:

https://twitter.com/KatrinaPierson/status/785545902236831744

(Yeah, Katrina, I'm sure hordes of people all obtained your phone number and are texting you breathless updates on their voting plans, but lol anyway.)

This is the best timeline. If Trump's campaign is going to get revenge on Republicans who don't back him by telling his supporters to NOT vote downticket, then the GOP is getting screwed from both sides. They'll experience depressed turnout from Republicans who can't vote for Trump, and don't care enough to go support downticket races, PLUS the ones who do show up for Trump won't vote downticket, either.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
They need to make a gritty Captain Planet reboot where instead of supervillains loving up the environment, they've just got regular guys trying to make a living.

Then Captain Planet beats up a bunch of legislators until they come up with a law that makes sensible compromises to retrain workers into renewable industries and applies significant financial burdens on destructive industry to counteract the externalities produced.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It seems all but one of my immediate family--white middle/lower-middle class, but mostly women--are still either voting for Trump or abstaining in disgust entirely

It just... kind of hurts at this point :smith:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I hate to agree with this new narrative, but I'm starting to think the best ballot is Trump and all Democrats. Just screw Third Way Democrats and Norquist-style Republicans out of government completely.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ciaphas posted:

It seems all but one of my immediate family are still either voting for Trump or abstaining in disgust entirely

:sever:

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

They need to make a gritty Captain Planet reboot where instead of supervillains loving up the environment, they've just got regular guys trying to make a living.

Then Captain Planet beats up a bunch of legislators until they come up with a law that makes sensible compromises to retrain workers into renewable industries and applies significant financial burdens on destructive industry to counteract the externalities produced.

No lie, Netflix would eat this up with a spoon.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

I hate to agree with this new narrative, but I'm starting to think the best ballot is Trump and all Democrats. Just screw Third Way Democrats and Norquist-style Republicans out of government completely.

How do you manage to have the worst loving opinions about everything

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ciaphas posted:

It seems all but one of my immediate family--white middle/lower-middle class, but mostly women--are still either voting for Trump or abstaining in disgust entirely

i'm sure your thanksgiving will be pleasant

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just want to understand why they're making the decisions they are and make something approaching a cogent counter argument, but I'm just incapable :smith:

At this point I'm starting to slowly become even more of an outsider in my family than I already am, which just makes it even harder to push the point

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Your family sounds pretty deplorable. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

i'm sure your thanksgiving will be pleasant

Oh christ I didn't even think of this. I wonder if I can just... get sick this year.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3830449/Iranian-state-TV-live-streams-presidential-debate-time.html :smith:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sabote...-android-att-us

:dogstare:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Oh christ I didn't even think of this. I wonder if I can just... get sick this year.

tell them you got pneumonia in the smuggest possible voice

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

rscott posted:

I just can't go this far to vote for Clintons again. I'll stick to spoiling my ballot or whatever but I feel like corporate friendly, think of the children 1990s style Democrats are coming back. Like the next thing I know Joe Lieberman will be running for Senate again.

And "starve the beast" Republicans that deliberately run up massive deficits to provoke a government collapse are terrible.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Craptacular! posted:

I just can't go this far to vote for Clintons again. I'll stick to spoiling my ballot or whatever but I feel like corporate friendly, think of the children 1990s style Democrats are coming back. Like the next thing I know Joe Lieberman will be running for Senate again.

And "starve the beast" Republicans that deliberately run up massive deficits to provoke a government collapse are terrible.

So are fascists.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Don't post links to your blog.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Phone posted:

Thank god Trump has the "murdered a black youth" vote.

The FOP already endorsed him almost a month ago.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

This kills the country

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Ciaphas posted:

I just want to understand why they're making the decisions they are and make something approaching a cogent counter argument, but I'm just incapable :smith:

At this point I'm starting to slowly become even more of an outsider in my family than I already am, which just makes it even harder to push the point

People usually don't make rational decisions. They make irrational decisions and rationalize them after the fact. At some point they may fall off the Trump bus because it's just too vile. Quietly encourage that.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

So republicans can vote democrat because it's not really Hillary?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ciaphas posted:

tell them some guy on the SA forums says they're all bitchmade idiotfuckers.

Not me, some other guy.

Dafte
Jul 21, 2001

Techno. Logical. Pimp.
Judge extends Florida voter registration
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/10/politics/federal-judge-extends-florida-voter-registration-deadline/index.html?adkey=bn

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Craptacular! posted:

your username describes your post content very well

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

WeAreTheRomans posted:

tell them some guy on the SA forums says they're all bitchmade idiotfuckers.

Not me, some other guy.

"A person on a dead gay forum that I spent $10 to post in says you're an idiot hell fucker"

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

"A person on a dead gay forum that I spent $10 to post in says you're an idiot hell fucker"

you said it more beautifully and meaningfully than I ever could. thank you.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

The DNC platform is like the most progressive thing they have ever put forth, what makes you think the neoliberals are about to stage a coup

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Well at least they'll know that when Trump gets hosed, the woman who's worked hard as hell to improve relations and conditions for Iran is the one who beat him and now leads the country. Plus Iranians love Americans, even when Bush's administration was practically calling them satan.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

rscott posted:

The DNC platform is like the most progressive thing they have ever put forth, what makes you think the neoliberals are about to stage a coup
Republicans have magical powers and automatically win at all times no matter how hard we struggle, is why.

Which is wrong, but it's been ground into a lot of people's brains, probably from seeing the latter half of the Clinton and all of the Bush administrations as we grew up.

I'm not gonna claim that they're somehow frail and weak now, but the GOP is much less robust than it was in an organizational sense, now.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

That which is dead can never die. :cthulhu:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Look, guys, I'm going to vote for Hitler and hope the Reichstag keeps him in line.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Seriously, if you can't bring yourself to vote for Killary because of all the programming or because you're a single-issue IT security voter, write in Harambe or something. An affirmative vote FOR Trump seems far more... deplorable... than just not voting for POTUS and going downballot.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

Look, guys, I'm going to vote for Hitler and hope the Reichstag keeps him in line.

From what I remember of the Weimar Republic, Hitler wasn't voted for directly, he achieved the executive through a coalition between the Nazis and the conservative party so the analogy doesn't quite hold up

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

rscott posted:

it's easy when you're a dumbass:

Craptacular! posted:

I don't understand this thinking that Trump is somehow uniquely a Devil-Hitler, at least not just yet.

The really disturbing thing is that over a dozen candidates agree with 90% of what he says, and are distinguishing themselves on the remaining 10%. It's refreshing to see the GOP platform recited by a clown rather than someone pretending to be a serious politician. Finally, this is the correct messenger that this message has always deserved but for 25 years has pretended to be principled political thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ice Phisherman posted:

People usually don't make rational decisions. They make irrational decisions and rationalize them after the fact. At some point they may fall off the Trump bus because it's just too vile. Quietly encourage that.

They just seem utterly convinced that no matter how utterly vile Trump is as a person, that Hillary's various actions throughout her career and this election cycle equate to 'criminal' whereas Trump's evaluate to 'savvy businessman who knows which wheels to grease, if a bit crude' (or, for the nonvoters, they're both scum and to hell with the whole loving thing)

I really want to tell them that by either not voting or by voting for Trump they're okay with someone who is effectively a KKK leader, but I just don't have the stones for argument, and further familial ostracism would probably literally kill me outright from depression

So instead I'm just frustrated and angry :(

• Locked thread