Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think a better question would be "what colors CAN'T be used as representations of specific statuses"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

FirstAidKite posted:

I think a better question would be "what colors CAN'T be used as representations of specific statuses"

Well if you're using anything but red for fire you better have a drat good reason.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Infinity Gaia posted:

Well if you're using anything but red for fire you better have a drat good reason.

Green fire is A Thing in Warcraft stuff, and usually represents an association with demons.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Blue fire in games can be common too, tends to represent souls a lot.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

precision posted:

Mechanically it's like comparing San Andreas to GTA3 - it's basically the same, but more and streamlined. I wasn't nearly as hot on the first one as some people, but Second fixes literally every problem I had with the first and even some I didn't notice until they'd been fixed.

Ultimately it's still a very shallow experience - there's basically no exploration or side stuff (yes, there are Side Stories but I think that them being technically "optional" doesn't change the fact that they play out identically to the main game). I don't think you even have the option of turning off Quest Markers that show you exactly where to go (including the "Side" missions) and even if you could, it'd be masochistic rather than liberating.

It's a lot better in the writing department though - it's hilarious and cute, way moreso than the first one. As long as you like the FF5-style Job System you should be good (since that's all the game is).

Catmancer is an epically mediocre Job though, there's nothing wrong with it but it's not very impressive either. It's basically Blue Mage but better at combat.

The Chef class though, woof, that thing sucks.

I used both the nekomancer and the cake wizard (or "chef" if you want to call it that) in my endgame party, and I completely wrecked everything. Most of the jobs are great, it's just a matter of knowing how to use them.

I agree that there's not much side stuff, but I think the game is better for it since it's still incredibly long. It's not for people who like to explore, but if you like the characters and the job system it's easily one of the best games to come out this year.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Infinity Gaia posted:

wtf??? fire is orange, not red, and red can be used for other things like bleeding status while orange is pretty much useless otherwise

also idk what this curse status stuff is; something has to be darkness elemental, which is purple, or black if you're using purple for poison/toxic

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Someone should write a book on this. Color in games is cool.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Should health be red or green?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jay Rust posted:

Health is red, mana is blue, stamina is green.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jay Rust posted:

come on

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jay Rust posted:

Yes.

Generally.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Sometimes health is red but green is healing.

Because herbs are green.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

health is red because of Red Crosses. healing is green because green is positive

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rTa6HMi3R4

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What about using numbers for HP

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ugh.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Help Im Alive posted:

What about using numbers for HP

Depends highly on the game. In some games like turn-based strategy HP are the best way, because they allow you to make tactical decisions if damage is exact or calculated risks if damage is semi-random (i.e. 1d4+4).

Some games don't need the granularity of displayed HP though.

I like when games that don't have an easy-to-read HP number (even a count of blocks, like in Castlevania or Mega Man) give you a "grace" period upon taking lethal damage, like leave you with an empty bar and then you can get hit one more time. I think it's a fair way for games that abstract the display of health to avoid killing you from a hit you thought you could just barely survive, which encourages players to do more daring or exciting things, which is good.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, another pet peeve in things like strategy: if the game is displaying things like hit percentages, don't loving lie about them. If you're rounding or fudging numbers, always do so in the player's favor. Streak protection to HELP the player in a singleplayer game is fine, but don't tell me something has a 50% chance to hit and then have the actual chance be lower or 0 because I've hit too many times in a row, for example.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

in stellaris they tell you the chance that a population tile will change its ethics towards or away your empire, in percent. but they don't tell you that percent is actually divided by 10

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

wizard on a water slide posted:

Oh, another pet peeve in things like strategy: if the game is displaying things like hit percentages, don't loving lie about them. If you're rounding or fudging numbers, always do so in the player's favor. Streak protection to HELP the player in a singleplayer game is fine, but don't tell me something has a 50% chance to hit and then have the actual chance be lower or 0 because I've hit too many times in a row, for example.

That's a thing? What's the point of that?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

That's a thing? What's the point of that?

I don't know but it makes me mentally ill while playing Fire Emblem on hard difficulty

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Lurdiak posted:

Were u a nice wolf or a mean wolf.

I was good dog, best friend, though I did burn the tree and leave Georgie to die

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

one of the new fire emblems you can't grind right?? it's just story mission to story mission ??

i want to play awakening again on hard but the grinding seems mandatory...

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Which of the 3 new fire emblem games was supposed to be the best one?

I'd heard one of them was considerably more meh than the others, I think the conquest one was supposed to be really good??

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Games shouldn't be shackled to colors because of choices made by other games. Let the devs make whatever color choices they feel work with their art direction.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

well yeah obviously in this situation we're the hypothetical devs. and poison is purple

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I was good dog, best friend, though I did burn the tree and leave Georgie to die

That tree was all the old lady had. :(

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/YourFriendMario/status/785948090805215232

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ometeotl posted:

Games shouldn't be shackled to colors because of choices made by other games. Let the devs make whatever color choices they feel work with their art direction.

Certainly. But I do think it's fine for games, especially complex ones like RPGs and strategy that often have a lot to learn, to respect an intuitive shared language for basic elements unless they have a great reason to break it.

Like if you make health blue and mana red you better have a drat good explanation for yourself!!!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Did the new Paper Mario end up being good?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Mr E posted:

As someone who hated Sticker Star, it's great.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

precious child looks like its under some gastrointestinal distress

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

What colour should represent poison in games? Green or purple?

In The Suffering the fact that the poisonous gas is bright green instead of transparent like it was in actual gas chambers is because the evil ghost executioner who uses it colored it green so his victims could see it coming. Always thought that was a cool little detail.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mr E posted:

I'm at the final level, and yes absolutely. The primary improvement over sticker star is that every single level is unique and memorable. It feels less linear than Sticker Star (though this is a bit of an illusion), with quests and storylines stretching across levels and having you go back and forth between levels for more than just grabbing a necessary Thing (though that still exists as well). There are a handful of levels that aren't great, but they're few and far between and the vast majority of the game is a lot of fun.

If generic Toads and Mario enemies makes you extremely angry in and of itself, this game doesn't change that, though the Toads manage to be varied and have distinct characters and personalities. The combat feels a bit clunky at first, even more so than Sticker Star's, but I got used to it quickly and in the late game there are a few battles and areas that actually do more interesting things with the card painting mechanic to make that feel more of a meaningful addition. The battle rewards being money is still a bit odd as for most of the game I was absolutely swimming in coins not knowing what to do with them, but by the end of the game the difficulty ramped up and buying powerful and expensive cards became more important.

It still is more similar to Sticker Star than to any of the older Paper Marios but it fixes the main complaint I personally had with Sticker Star - that it was boring for long stretches - and that's good enough for me. It's probably the funniest Paper Mario in the series, even if it doesn't have the same extensive story and characters that the first three did.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Isn't this run by that dude with the fat yoshi fetish or was that the sjwsupermario person.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Grapplejack posted:

Isn't this run by that dude with the fat yoshi fetish or was that the sjwsupermario person.

same thing and yes

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Yo, apparently there IS something missable in Stardew Valley: the three heart cutscene with Sam. You have to do it in Year One or it never happens again.

I threw pizza at him until he had a touching cutscene on the beach, but if I'd missed that, man. I might have restarted my game. (Curse you, completionist tendencies!)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

oddium posted:

one of the new fire emblems you can't grind right?? it's just story mission to story mission ??

i want to play awakening again on hard but the grinding seems mandatory...

Conquest doesn't let you grind and it's also the best one (because of its amazing map design not the grinding)

Grinding isn't at all mandatory though! Most of the older games don't have it and the games aren't designed around it. You can do it!

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm at the final level, and yes absolutely. The primary improvement over sticker star is that every single level is unique and memorable. It feels less linear than Sticker Star (though this is a bit of an illusion), with quests and storylines stretching across levels and having you go back and forth between levels for more than just grabbing a necessary Thing (though that still exists as well). There are a handful of levels that aren't great, but they're few and far between and the vast majority of the game is a lot of fun.

If generic Toads and Mario enemies makes you extremely angry in and of itself, this game doesn't change that, though the Toads manage to be varied and have distinct characters and personalities. The combat feels a bit clunky at first, even more so than Sticker Star's, but I got used to it quickly and in the late game there are a few battles and areas that actually do more interesting things with the card painting mechanic to make that feel more of a meaningful addition. The battle rewards being money is still a bit odd as for most of the game I was absolutely swimming in coins not knowing what to do with them, but by the end of the game the difficulty ramped up and buying powerful and expensive cards became more important.

It still is more similar to Sticker Star than to any of the older Paper Marios but it fixes the main complaint I personally had with Sticker Star - that it was boring for long stretches - and that's good enough for me. It's probably the funniest Paper Mario in the series, even if it doesn't have the same extensive story and characters that the first three did.

I was watching TieTuesday's videos and the two bridge Toads in the town are the cutest little dudes and well I'm probably gonna get it

never played Sticker Star and the writing was the best part of TTYD anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Looper posted:

Conquest doesn't let you grind and it's also the best one (because of its amazing map design not the grinding)

Grinding isn't at all mandatory though! Most of the older games don't have it and the games aren't designed around it. You can do it!

Playing Conquest on Lunatic Classic was one of the most frustrating yet satisfying things I've done in a game. Whenever I beat a stage, I really felt like I'd EARNED it. And then I'd take another dozen tries at the next stage and feel like a moron until I earned my win again.

• Locked thread