Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

stop posting this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

corn in the bible posted:

same thing and yes

Ugh.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I feel really old today so thread, tell me about a game you were obsessed with when you were little.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Phantasium posted:

I feel really old today so thread, tell me about a game you were obsessed with when you were little.

River Raid. And it still owns.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Phantasium posted:

Megaman X. First time I got to try it was my friend had it in mexico. Played the hell out of it. Few years bought a SNES when I was older and Megaman X was my first game I bought.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Air Fortress for the NES, a neat game that I wish would be revisited since I can't really think of any other games like it (shmup where you get upgrades and then a walk around portion where you explore a maze and have to escape it after destroying the core using your upgraded from the shmup portion)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Phantasium posted:

Seiken Densetsu 3. Bright and colorful and easy to play, with a lot of things to do and a cute dragon to ride. I think I saw all three variants of the final boss back in the day.

Basically the SNES was the world's best toy for a preteen. Harvest Moon, Bahamut Lagoon, Chrono Trigger (never finished that one), Mario, oodles more I'm forgetting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

one of the new fire emblems you can't grind right?? it's just story mission to story mission ??

i want to play awakening again on hard but the grinding seems mandatory...

Conquest is the good new one, take it from me, the crazy person who beat all 3. Also grinding isn't really necessary but they include it so people can make things easier for themselves and to include an easy way to get max social links on one run if you want

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Phantasium posted:

My dad was a piece of poo poo who bought me a Master System instead of an NES and insisted it was "just as good", so my jam was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv11bhlymz4

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I beat the 3 new Fire Emblems and honestly they're all fine. Conquest has the worst story and Birthright is the easiest.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
DQB is stupid dope. There is so much to do. I'm just barely past where the demo stopped, but already have a ton of new recipes.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's too bad that codename steam didn't pan out well. interesting concept but really lackluster execution from everything I saw and the demo I played. I wonder if it'd have at least been a little bit better received if they hadn't ignored the people saying it was way too slow waiting for the enemies to do their thing. I mean, they ended up putting out a patch to fix that anyway, but it really does seem like something that should have been there all along considering how many people were responding with "this is kinda interesting but man the wait time during enemy turns is bad"

Another aspect that seemed disappointing was the lack of real character and personality to anybody, they didn't really seem to have much characterization in the demo I played and I've heard that in the final game it's pretty much just "hi I'm [character] from [book/folklore] and now I'm in your team" and that the steampunk was just generic ugly brass poo poo. So much for being nintendo's version of the league of extraordinary gentlemen lol.

Like, drat, it could have been something pretty neat but it looks like such an ugly game. Also lol about them including john henry in the game as a dude who is like "man, steam hammers are pretty cool, I'm gonna get myself turned into a cyborg and augmented with my very own steam hammer"

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

Air Fortress for the NES, a neat game that I wish would be revisited since I can't really think of any other games like it (shmup where you get upgrades and then a walk around portion where you explore a maze and have to escape it after destroying the core using your upgraded from the shmup portion)

that game was super cool

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

lets hang out posted:

that game was super cool

The music was so good.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It's taking a lot of willpower to not grab my wallet, add $15 to my Steam account and buy FFX/X-2 and play it with the dumb mod, so someone please talk me into/out of this.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What dumb mod?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

What dumb mod?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSV4l65GNK8

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Imagine 30 solid hours of that funny video and you will have all the dissuasion you need

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That's a pretty good mod!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FirstAidKite posted:

http://www.purezc.net/index.php?page=projects&section=downloads&id=588

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I decided to play Mario Galaxy to test out whether my shoulder can handle motion controls. 7 years later and it's still a good game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Phantasium posted:

Captain Skyhawk blew my tiny little mind on the NES, and Star Fox not long after. Ah, to be impressed by flat shaded polygons again. :allears:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Shindragon posted:

Megaman X. First time I got to try it was my friend had it in mexico. Played the hell out of it. Few years bought a SNES when I was older and Megaman X was my first game I bought.

No one can blame you for being obsessed with the perfect video game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gosh darn do I wish Guacamelee didn't completely ruin its combat in the Super Turbo version by introducing the teleporting enemies.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's taking a lot of willpower to not grab my wallet, add $15 to my Steam account and buy FFX/X-2 and play it with the dumb mod, so someone please talk me into/out of this.

Play them without the dumb mod instead

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Play them without the dumb mod instead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSaazixWhko

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Skip Final Fantasy X and just play X-2

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Looper posted:

Skip Final Fantasy X and just play X-2

Make sure to have a guide handy for X-2 since there is a lot of missable poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

chumbler posted:

Make sure to have a guide handy for X-2 since there is a lot of missable poo poo.

Don't do this unless you hate yourself, just play through it normally and not give a gently caress first time.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

chumbler posted:

X-2 is one of those games where the 100% ending is the bad one

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't do this unless you hate yourself, just play through it normally and not give a gently caress first time.

I would agree were it not for some of the dresspheres being missable and obtuse to get which is lame.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Often times in game design we rely on shared understood language and symbols because you get it "for free". Anything new or novel you have to introduce, teach, and reinforce and if we can save on that by using existing mechanics, real world paradigms (win sports, for example), or universal cultural understanding, it's worth considering.

In other words we SHOULD have a good reason for breaking with tradition because it would be a specific conscious choice to be more complicated.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

mutata posted:

Often times in game design we rely on shared understood language and symbols because you get it "for free". Anything new or novel you have to introduce, teach, and reinforce and if we can save on that by using existing mechanics, real world paradigms (win sports, for example), or universal cultural understanding, it's worth considering.

In other words we SHOULD have a good reason for breaking with tradition because it would be a specific conscious choice to be more complicated.

All of this is true.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

When I was a child I remember playing Age of Empires II and Age of Mythology at my friend's houses because my parents hated video games. Good times.

FirstAidKite posted:

It's too bad that codename steam didn't pan out well. interesting concept but really lackluster execution from everything I saw and the demo I played. I wonder if it'd have at least been a little bit better received if they hadn't ignored the people saying it was way too slow waiting for the enemies to do their thing. I mean, they ended up putting out a patch to fix that anyway, but it really does seem like something that should have been there all along considering how many people were responding with "this is kinda interesting but man the wait time during enemy turns is bad"

Another aspect that seemed disappointing was the lack of real character and personality to anybody, they didn't really seem to have much characterization in the demo I played and I've heard that in the final game it's pretty much just "hi I'm [character] from [book/folklore] and now I'm in your team" and that the steampunk was just generic ugly brass poo poo. So much for being nintendo's version of the league of extraordinary gentlemen lol.

Like, drat, it could have been something pretty neat but it looks like such an ugly game. Also lol about them including john henry in the game as a dude who is like "man, steam hammers are pretty cool, I'm gonna get myself turned into a cyborg and augmented with my very own steam hammer"

Codename Steam looked really ugly and the sooner Steampunk vanishes from the Earth, the better.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phantasium posted:

It's a tie between Starcraft and Halo

I got super obsessed about the extended universe, but I was like 5 when Starcraft came out, and 8 when Halo did. I still load up StarCraft occasionally when I feel lovely. It's just such a great game that tickles all the right parts of my brain.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Phantasium posted:

The Goonies 2 on NES. I was a huge Goonies fan so every time I visited my cousin who had the game, I'd bug him to let me play even though he hated it. It was not a very good game in retrospect but 6 year old me did not recognize this. The title is still funny to me though because it purports to be the sequel to the movie. There is no "Goonies 1" NES game.

Snak posted:

DQB is stupid dope. There is so much to do. I'm just barely past where the demo stopped, but already have a ton of new recipes.

Seriously, I'm loving it. I played for about 4 hours tonight and outside some annoying camera issues, I've gone nothing but love for it so far. Ransacking old houses for better materials for the town is good poo poo.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Dark Forces 1 was also great and I played it every year during winter break for a few years in a row. It's not the best Star Wars game or even the best Dark Forces game but it's the one I had the most fun with. I'd say Dark Forces 1 and Marathon 2 were the best Doom clones.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Phantasium posted:

Soccer Kid

It had so many little details. It was also real hard for a kid.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think the first game I was obsessed with was one of the Dizzy games maybe? Even as a young child I was naturally drawn to stuff with more narrative and puzzle solving elements than 'move to the right and shoot things'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

And DQ Builders also has a Vita version.
Oh I didn't know it was out for Vita too.

Has anybody tried it for Vita?

Phantasium posted:

Unoriginal but Sonic 2. I actually never finished it as a kid. Kept trying though.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 12, 2016

• Locked thread