Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I think we can all agree that one silver lining of global warming is that it'll make Norway livable.

We can re-dub it neo-Italy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Välkommen till Nortalien

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Cardiac posted:

You don't have kids, do you?

As far as I am aware, kids do not disappear into thin air on sundays. If they are somehow preventing you from buying groceries monday through saturday, they are going to do so on sunday as well.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Kopijeger posted:

As far as I am aware, kids do not disappear into thin air on sundays. If they are somehow preventing you from buying groceries monday through saturday, they are going to do so on sunday as well.

Bro, I think what he is saying is that shopping on Sundays would be more convenient. He is right about that, it's a solid argument. Still doesn't mean that we should do something, just because it's more convenient. Like, this evening, it would be more convenient and efficient to eat a can of tuna over the sink(while crying) instead of preparing real dinner.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I think we can all agree that one silver lining of global warming is that it'll make Norway livable.

It'll still be mostly mountains, i.e. not a place where humans should live.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

But can it also make Norway affordable?

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

YF-23 posted:

For literally everyone else it's just rest time, like Christmas and Easter holidays.

As a self-employed person I do work on Sundays. But employed people seem to be more fragile than the rest. There's no reason why a waiter is allowed to work on Sunday but a cashier isn't.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

If only cashiers and other people in retail had kids too and needed time to spend with them but alas

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

ChainsawCharlie posted:

If only cashiers and other people in retail had kids too and needed time to spend with them but alas

Won't somebody think of the children? They are magical creatures that can only be seen and interacted with on Sundays. Luckily, waiters and self-employed people never have children. So gently caress them.

I actually have no big feelings on this topic. The arguments pro and con are simply blown out of proportion. Neither is it today a church thing, nor are you incapable of having a family when working on Sundays.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Einbauschrank posted:

As a self-employed person I do work on Sundays. But employed people seem to be more fragile than the rest. There's no reason why a waiter is allowed to work on Sunday but a cashier isn't.

Restaurants employ cashiers too.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Yes my point was that using the " my kids" argument for one side but not for the other is desingenous and is dumb argument anyway.

Maybe we can frame this as a workers law issue, or maybe why are still people buying stuff in brick and mortar shops in tyool 2016.

Theres nothing quite like having your vegetables delivered by drone to make you think "wow im in the future".

Disclaimer:i may or may not have a drone selling shop.if anyone has found a way to deliver drones by drone please pm me.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Just use a bigger drone you doofus

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Just use a bigger drone you doofus

And how will he get that one delivered, smart guy?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Several smaller ones, of course.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

steinrokkan posted:

It's bigger drones all the way down.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Just move to a place that has already drones in it

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
robots.txt - computer future

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

More Euromil news: under the previous government, Poland has selected to buy 50 Caracal helicopters from Airbus. But because the Airbus factory in Poland is in Lodz, which is not a PiS territory, while on the other hand two of Airbus' competitors, Sikorsky and Leonardo-Finmeccanica, have factories in PiSland, the PiS government has made sure the negotiations failed. So now it's official, there won't be any Caracal. The French president had a diplomatic visit planned to Poland on the 13th of the month, but after news that the copter deal was sunk, he canceled it.
Well that drama "forked" into a pretty weird direction:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/13/poland-continues-multi-pronged-attack-on-french-we-taught-them-to-use-forks

quote:

Poland’s deputy defence minister has claimed that Poles taught the French how to use forks as a diplomatic row rages over the handling of a failed multi-billion euro helicopter deal.

Bartosz Kownacki was speaking after France withdrew the Polish delegation’s invitation to a Euronaval industry fair in Paris next week amid tension over the breakdown in talks aimed at Poland buying Airbus choppers.

“The French side officially invited us a long time ago and now they are showing us the door,” Kownacki said on the TVN24 private news channel.

“But these are the people we taught to eat with a fork a couple of centuries ago, which may explain their behaviour today.”

He was referring to the fact that the fork was introduced to his subjects in the 16th century by King Henry III of France, who had earlier been elected king of Poland.
Poland's parliament rejects near-total ban on abortion after protests
Read more

Historians are however divided on the origin of that particular fork: some say the king discovered it during a stay in Venice after leaving Poland.

Others believe he really did become acquainted with the utensil in Poland, where the fork was introduced over half a century earlier by Poland’s Italian-born Queen Bona Sforza.

Kownacki’s comments were heavily condemned by the liberal opposition as well as the spokeswoman of the governing conservative Law and Justice (PiS) party, Beata Mazurek, who described them as “unfortunate” and “not very diplomatic”.

Minister Kownacki is perhaps the first politician to commit diplomatic suicide by fork,” the Polityka weekly commented on its website.

Last week Poland halted talks with Airbus to buy 50 of its Caracal helicopters, drawing a furious response from chief executive Tom Enders who said his company had never been treated so badly by any government.

The spat has ratcheted up diplomatic tensions between Warsaw and Paris, which was backing Airbus in the process, leading French president François Hollande to postpone a visit to Warsaw.

There is disagreement over who actually ended the negotiations.

On Wednesday, several media outlets reported the cancellation of Poland’s invite to Euronaval, citing an official letter received at the Polish embassy in Paris.

A source familiar with the matter confirmed the cancellation to AFP in Paris.
I remember learning that it was Caterina di Medici :italy: (Henri III's mother) who introduced the fork in France at her mariage. But thanks for your version of :fork: history, Poland. It was of the utmost importance.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 13, 2016

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
You've made read about the history of forks on Wikipedia:

" posted:

By the 11th century, the table fork had become increasingly prevalent in the Italian peninsula. It gained a following in Italy before any other Western European region because of historical ties with Byzantium, and continued to gain popularity due to the increasing presence of pasta in the Italian diet.[11"] At first, pasta was consumed using a long wooden spike, but this eventually evolved into three spikes, a design better suited to gathering the noodles.

That single wooden spike must have been a pain in the rear end to use.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Toplowtech posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/13/poland-continues-multi-pronged-attack-on-french-we-taught-them-to-use-forks

I remember learning that it was Caterina di Medici :italy: (Henri III's mother) who introduced the fork in France at her mariage. But thanks for your version of :fork: history, Poland. It was of the utmost importance.

:forkbomb: has never been more appropriate.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Kassad posted:

That single wooden spike must have been a pain in the rear end to use.

Dudes must have read some Marco Polo and misunderstood the whole chopsticks concept.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

I hate to be that guy, but this is your country on populism, kids. Populism, Not. Even. Once.

IRC the Airbus deal was absolutely fantastic, including technology transfers, setting up a whole polish helicopter industry and a shitton of high paying jobs coming with it. Now they got nothing. Rumor has it that the deal came apart because the factories were supposed to be set up in non-piss territory. lmao

Welp, at least Poland didn't have to take in 100 refugees. Guess it was worth it in the end, many thanks to all the PIS voters! :shittydog:

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I hate to be that guy, but this is your country on populism, kids. Populism, Not. Even. Once.

IRC the Airbus deal was absolutely fantastic, including technology transfers, setting up a whole polish helicopter industry and a shitton of high paying jobs coming with it. Now they got nothing. Rumor has it that the deal came apart because the factories were supposed to be set up in non-piss territory. lmao

Welp, at least Poland didn't have to take in 100 refugees. Guess it was worth it in the end, many thanks to all the PIS voters! :shittydog:

Poland was a mistake.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Poland was a mistake.

I love you Poland and you are totally our EU buddy and everything, but you really need to get to rehab and get your life together.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

-> Poland takes most money out of EU out of any country both in relative and total terms
-> Poland needs NATO and EU protection to survive the next day

---
-> Poland takes no refugees even though they claim to be Christian
-> Poland is an rear end about everything

henceforth

-> gently caress Poland

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

YF-23 posted:

Restaurants employ cashiers too.

Not sure what kind of lovely restaurants you frequent, but usually you pay to the waiter.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

GaussianCopula posted:

Not sure what kind of lovely restaurants you frequent, but usually you pay to the waiter.

Bad day at work GC? Had to sit on the train next to the swarthy-looking types?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Bad day at work GC? Had to sit on the train next to the swarthy-looking types?

Still at work, deadlines suck.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GaussianCopula posted:

Restaurants that have a counter and someone operating it even when you pay to the waiter.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

How do you create a diplomatic incident about food utensils?what is this 18th century europe?

The Forkgate.
Tablewaregazhi.

...I've got nothing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

caps on caps on caps posted:

-> Poland takes most money out of EU out of any country both in relative and total terms
-> Poland needs NATO and EU protection to survive the next day

---
-> Poland takes no refugees even though they claim to be Christian
-> Poland is an rear end about everything

henceforth

-> gently caress Poland

Hitler was right?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

ChainsawCharlie posted:

How do you create a diplomatic incident about food utensils?what is this 18th century europe?

The Forkgate.
Tablewaregazhi.

...I've got nothing.

Remember that kid that got roasted for half an hour in high-school and came back with a weak "Oh yeah? Well you... your... your mom is fat!"
That kid grew up to be Poland.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Maybe Airbus should have invested in Eastern Poland like any reasonable company, instead of the treacherous Central Poland.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

His Divine Shadow posted:

Hitler was right?

He just wasn't able to... finalize his solution.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Poland is like the last refuge of the poo poo-rear end papist, even worse than Italy. Coincidence?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Lol Wallonia just torpedoed an EU-Canada thing!

Yay! States rights!!!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yay! States rights!!!

Uironcally happy about it.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

Uironcally happy about it.

Me too.

But of all places, Wallonia?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yay! States rights!!!

God bless Belgium being a failed nation-state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
The Brexit drama is going to be brilliant.