Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Plebian Parasite posted:

yes, gently caress guys and men.

Don't mind if I do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Discount Viscount posted:

Few pages back, but there actually *was* a Goonies 1 game for the Famicom. It actually got a limited American release on the Playchoice 10 and as Vs. The Goonies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zruCkeTDFb8

8bit Cyndi Lauper, that is badass. It kind of looks like Goonies 2 as well. I can't say I ever saw it in an arcade though and I spent a lot of time in arcades back in the 80's and early 90's.

Bicyclops posted:

It's a little fun to laugh at the people spending zillions of dollars but every time I silently hope "Maybe the space game will be good this time, and once it's actually out I can buy it, for a normal game price."

I like having more good games more than I like laughing at people.

I think this is a good way to put it. It's really fun to laugh at Star Citizen because it's nuts and it's interesting to me to read about the development issues just because that is a personal interest but I still hope the single player game comes out and is fun because I like fun games a lot.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

I'm working on it.

If you guys need a coder, I need something to work on that isn't miserable mobile apps. Seems like you've been at it for at least two years now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bloodychill posted:

If you guys need a coder, I need something to work on that isn't miserable mobile apps. Seems like you've been at it for at least two years now.

We've not really "been at it" all that much. We're all busy with other things, and one of those things is a kickstarter game that people keep complaining isn't out yet. That whole 'getting our name stolen' took the wind out of our sails, but we're definitely not abandoning the project. I'll relay your offer to help to the team, but I think we're good on coders. The main challenge with the game's design has been structure and scope, but we're working on that, too.

Quest For Glory II posted:

i can't program worth poo poo so i'd probably just make something in Adventure Game Studio or renpy

You don't need to know how to program to make video games, just copy existing code from other Game Maker Studio games and fiddle with it until it makes sense and does the thing you want. I've made functional (if janky) platformer and beat-em-up engines that way, and I've never learned any kind of programming at all.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 13, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Thats what I did when I made Flash games and it made me feel like a total fuckin fraud

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm not going to get my ideal procedurally generated, roguelite metroidvania that way.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I do like that someone sells a "make your own metroidvania" game kit for Construct. but I think it's like $50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFcaMzOyoMQ

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Thats what I did when I made Flash games and it made me feel like a total fuckin fraud

Many games have open source code and many 'starter code' kits are available for sale on the game maker site. Code is just a tool to make games, what matters is the end result. The Undertale guy sucks rear end at coding and made a pretty neat game.

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm not going to get my ideal procedurally generated, roguelite metroidvania that way.

You could totally make a procedurally generated game with limited knowledge of coding if you were patient and carefully designed the game elements the code works with.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
If a person is coming at game development without coding or art skills and wants to do design, learning scripting is a good approach. It's relatively easy to pick up, it's important, and it's easy to leverage into being very useful both for getting your own ideas out and helping with bigger projects. All the "maker" applications let you add neat stuff with scripting or in some cases require some scripting and even big game engines let you do a lot with scripting and little to no code work. There are probably other good approaches too. Tomes have been written about issues like these in the game dev threads in games and caverns of cobol.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

Kingdom Death Monsters is a board game that I wish was better than it apparently ended up being.

This game is giving me all kinds of mixed feelings. Like it looks cool as hell and the monster designs are great, but it also seems kind of like an embarrassing gross thing, and the basic set costs like $500.

Thanks for sharing this confusion with me, dude.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kinda glad I tried the DQ Builders demo on vita. Something's not meshing with me but I could be burnt out after playing Stardew Valley and Slime Rancher a bunch.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 13, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
What is your favorite video game special feature?

I like the Darkness graffiti video because that stuff was neat to see they got actual graffiti guys to do.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

some of the ballpoint universe enemies are like 12 oz mouse drawings

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

tap my mountain posted:

Wtf kind of gamer doesn't like numbers going up?!

the ones that still play Wii Golf

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Lurdiak posted:

I'm working on it.

That looks really good. My first impression was VGA No Man's Sky circa 1997 edit--poo poo i thought i was editing the above post

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

I like the Darkness graffiti video because that stuff was neat to see they got actual graffiti guys to do.

Tony Hawk bail videos.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Snooze Cruise posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-uOfF6ec-I

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

The ipod in Metal Gear Solid 4 had a 13 episode podcast with some people that worked on the game and they'd walk you through each area telling you where the easter eggs are/talking about Kojima etc

I thought it was neat

E: Also the secret theatre thing in MGS3 was great

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snooze Cruise posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJUao2bFjjc&t=3472s

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

i aint watchin an hour of that poo poo, what's the special feature

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

First reviews of Shadow Warrior 2 are out and apparently it's amazing. It seems that the main quest areas are hand-crafted while the side areas that you do to get new weapons, skills, money etc. are procedurally generated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwL7jQJ2AC8

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

CrashCat posted:

i aint watchin an hour of that poo poo, what's the special feature

He timestamped it. It's going to the "bonus" screen and being offered to follow Brianna Wu on Twitter.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Lurdiak posted:

Many games have open source code and many 'starter code' kits are available for sale on the game maker site. Code is just a tool to make games, what matters is the end result. The Undertale guy sucks rear end at coding and made a pretty neat game.

You could totally make a procedurally generated game with limited knowledge of coding if you were patient and carefully designed the game elements the code works with.

this is inspiring me to reboot my game project

it was gonna be a horror game but i sidelined it for a career change + baby, so any programming knowledge i had just evaporated, along with the external hdd containing my files, which are probably in a dumpster in hawaii somewhere lmao

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

its so close to dark cloud 1. its awesome

God drat it, now I have to buy it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FutonForensic posted:

He timestamped it. It's going to the "bonus" screen and being offered to follow Brianna Wu on Twitter.
drat embed, wish it would work with timestamps reliably. Sorry

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This month's thread could use a bit more spookiness IMO

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

This month's thread could use a bit more spookiness IMO

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

mutata posted:

Prey 2 when they first announced it was literally this. Also, Star Wars 1313 was rumored to be something like that. Basically, you'll never get that game but you'll get trailers for that game is what I'm saying.

Darnit why can't anyone seem to actually make this game?

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013
Thoughts on Endless Legend?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Divine Blob posted:

I haven't played it, but I've heard nothing but good things.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's cool. The tactical combat is pretty bad but you can automate it. The writing really captures the imagination. Each faction plays vastly different from one another. Settling new locations is fun. Science is intimidating because you get like sixteen different technologies to choose from at any one time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Divine Blob posted:

Idk I'm Still trying to finish it lol

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Divine Blob posted:

It's really good and between it and EU4 I'm not seeing a real good reason to buy Civ VI, even though they're of course not the same games. Expansions aren't necessary but they're good.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How is everyone's video gaming this fine October?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Unfunny Poster posted:

Pretty good. Played a bunch of Transformers: Devastation because it was free on PSN, and now I'm playing Dragon Quest Builders, which is really cute and fun.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

[slams palms on table] i'm going to get endless legend on sale !!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Unfunny Poster posted:

It's great, I got back into WoW with Legion cause I make cool decisions and am currently playing Yakuza 4 and Rock Band 3 customs. Work slowed down so I have a ton of free time, too.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
South Coast Boutique? They’re having a fireEndless Legend is on sale?!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

oddium posted:

[slams palms on table] i'm going to get endless legend on sale !!

Good choice, especially at that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Unfunny Poster posted:

I have trade-in money and a PSN gift card ready to redeem to get some new games but I have to wait until Christmas is over to buy myself anything so I guess I just have to play the games I already own. FML.

• Locked thread