Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I gave in and bought the $100 worth of cards i needed to make red white vehicles :( Fuckin magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm absolutely loving peoples' reactions to it when I play them and turn 4 an Eldrazi Titan. I think if there's a decent even half-real control deck it's going to be a lot harder to play a Marvel deck, because part of the fun is that you can simply run out a turn 4 Marvel and not worry about it being countered game one. No one is playing artifact removal maindeck because most of what they want to kill are already going to be creatures (Vehicles) and so creature removal is where it's at. I'm running the version from the SCG Open where it only plays 4 Ulamog, 4 Emrakul, but I want to put in at least one Ishkanah. The decks that don't run 4 green Puzzleknot and 4 blue Puzzleknot seem odd to me, there's plenty of times where the blue Puzzleknot has been crucial in setting up a Marvel or even just making sure I draw a Marvel. I almost never want to be drawing cards because there's a chance I can wind up with a hand full of Eldrazi Titans. Perpetual Timepiece isn't good enough to shuffle them back in.

I think the card you want in that Ishkanah slot is Chandra 6.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 13, 2016

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Welp, just bought a playset of Panharmonicons. Bant Panharmonicon looks nutso and fun as hell to play for not featuring any expensive cards. Looking at it I would have thought it was a natural deck for Eldrazi Displacer, but watching the video it draws so many loving cards off Prophetic Prism and Glint-Nest Crane that it almost never runs out of stuff do to as-is.

Looking at Saffron's List, my instinct is to cut down just the Bant core and run less taplands and more mana dorks to just start going off faster. It almost never did anything worthwhile with red mana, so the only real loss is Noxious Gearhulk and maybe the Bring To Light package.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 13, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

BJPaskoff posted:

Some people at my LGS play in a sealed league. They open their pools, register them*, and play some matches. Then after a designated amount of matches, they all buy another pack and add that to their pool. Does anyone have any experience running these things, and can give me any tips? Some friends and I want to try it out.

* They just register the rares and sometimes uncommons, but I feel like I'd need to have people register their entire pool or people would complain.

We run a super casual one at the office. Normal 6 pack sealed, swiss pairings, one match per week. After every two matches add a pack. We stop at 8 weeks (2 matches with the 9th pack included), since by then for small sets the new set is about ready and people are also pretty tired of their decks by then. Though there is a playoff. No prizes but bragging rights. It's a very good way to get people interested in magic and moving up to drafting which is where we play more competitively for prizes. Getting a self sustaining pool of people to draft is super valuable.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

One variation on casual league business I've heard which sounded like a decent idea is that between set number of matches you open and draft a pack (or two) in reverse standings order between all participants. A small catch-up mechanism on top of getting that usually one booster more to the pool per week.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Voyager I posted:

Welp, just bought a playset of Panharmonicons. Bant Panharmonicon looks nutso and fun as hell to play for not featuring any expensive cards. Looking at it I would have thought it was a natural deck for Eldrazi Displacer, but watching the video it draws so many loving cards off Prophetic Prism and Glint-Nest Crane that it almost never runs out of stuff do to as-is.

Looking at Saffron's List, my instinct is to cut down just the Bant core and run less taplands and more mana dorks to just start going off faster. It almost never did anything worthwhile with red mana, so the only real loss is Noxious Gearhulk and maybe the Bring To Light package.

You can still run BtL off of mana dork, prism and energy land without bothering with red or black lands. Panharmonicon 5-8 plus toolbox potential makes me want to keep it in. The only big loss is red sweepers out of the sideboard.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
If I was going with Bring to Light I'd probably skip red and run with splash of black while keeping the Noxious Gearhulks (a 5/4 that kills two creatures and gains gobs of life is a hell of a stabilizer).

I'm also not sure how badly the deck needs a sweeper, given that it plays eight two-drops that make tolerable blockers, a full set of Filigree Familiars, and then gains life like crazy if it gets to midgame. It seems pretty difficult to get there fast enough, and if you don't do it very early it's never happening.

Another inclusion that seems potentially interesting is Thought-Knot Seer. It's a great card in generic terms and it's pretty gross with Panharmonicon out, though it seems like the deck tries to play to the board more than interact with their hand. Maybe a sideboard option against control?

EDIT: I'm thinking maybe going four color (essentially Blue/Green with some White and just a dash of Black for BTL and Gearhulks) with a pair of Deathcap Cultivators in place of some of the goofier cards to get faster starts.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 13, 2016

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
So when's the right time to buy Masterpieces because I'm a big dumb idiot and want to make my cube prettier? Right before Aether Revolt?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

muon posted:

So when's the right time to buy Masterpieces because I'm a big dumb idiot and want to make my cube prettier? Right before Aether Revolt?

Probably now, while the set is still in print and being opened like crazy

I could get one of them nice Cloudstones for 30 bucks easily. And I might, I'm not a bling guy, but sometimes Animar likes some shiny toys.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I think they will be overpriced for a long time. Certainly not until people stop drafting kld, which is after aether revolt finishes too.

People are overestimating their value. Once it sinks in there will be 100+ of them a year I believe people will be less likely to shell out and sustain very high prices and they will slowly fall with some exceptions.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

muon posted:

Not that this is anything super meaningful, but the expedition fetches that see modern play were at their bottom for two months and then rose. The expy set on the whole follows this pattern. So probably similar??

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Voyager I posted:

Another inclusion that seems potentially interesting is Thought-Knot Seer. It's a great card in generic terms and it's pretty gross with Panharmonicon out, though it seems like the deck tries to play to the board more than interact with their hand. Maybe a sideboard option against control?

I have no idea what this deck looks like, but how are you casting TKS in a 3 color deck in a world with no painlands?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Elyv posted:

I have no idea what this deck looks like, but how are you casting TKS in a 3 color deck in a world with no painlands?

Eldrazi Skyspawner?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

Aether Hub?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Crumbilng Vestige?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just throw a Wastes in there to get with the Evolving Wilds you're probably using in a 3c deck, I dunno

Will Wastes ever rotate or can you just use 'em forever?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Soul Glo posted:

Just throw a Wastes in there to get with the Evolving Wilds you're probably using in a 3c deck, I dunno

Given that Snow-Covered lands can't legally be used in standard, I'd say no.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

Given that Snow-Covered lands can't legally be used in standard, I'd say no.

I"m guessing that's also why none of the Eldritch Moon eldrazi required colorless mana.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AlternateNu posted:

I"m guessing that's also why none of the Eldritch Moon eldrazi required colorless mana.

Well that and the colorless mana matters thing was only for Kozilek related things.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I just Googled, Wastes will rotate with Gatewatch, but they're legal for now.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Soul Glo posted:

The only reason Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain and Forest don't rotate is because WOTC doggedly insists on continuing to print them.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Fish Of Doom posted:

Saffron Olive's 5-color Panharmonicon deck looks like the funnest thing you could possibly be doing in standard.

Cue $10 Panharmonicons

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/against-the-odds-five-color-panharmonicon

Just bought this, only been battling in Tourney Practice to get a feel for the deck but it's fun as gently caress when facing down jank, and I even beat a real bant humans deck with it.

edit: the lack of anyone playing counterspells is actually awesome when this many dumb fun combo decks are hanging around; being able to just jam turn 3/4 Panharmonicon without fear is great.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 14, 2016

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Just bought this, only been battling in Tourney Practice to get a feel for the deck but it's fun as gently caress when facing down jank, and I even beat a real bant humans deck with it.

edit: the lack of anyone playing counterspells is actually awesome when this many dumb fun combo decks are hanging around; being able to just jam turn 3/4 Panharmonicon without fear is great.

If you have a Gonti please try it in there and let me know if it works out well. The deck looks amazing but I am not sure if I want to invest in it yet.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem with Puzzleknots is that playing cards that have no effect on the board at all is rarely good even in constructed. Neither energy, scry or lifegain actually do much when you're facing down a couple Toolcrafters and a Roflcopter.

That was why I started playing GR - if you play a delirium version World Breaker and Emrakul are live cards. I still have the green one in my Marvel deck but honestly I think Marvel itself isn't quite there and started playing a straight Delirium/Ramp deck with the same payoff cards.

I love the RUG version, testing the RG version, but I'm coming to the same conclusion. (though woodweaver's puzzleknot is hilarious against the storm of aggro.) What's your ramp deck look like? Been testing a lot of decks for the SCG Regionals on saturday, and I'll probably end up going with BW control as Marvel seems to lose to itself a bit too often for a big tourney

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Has anyone done a Standard brew with Soup Separator and Tree of Perdition? For 8 mana, you can get something that can reduce your opponent to 1 life and a 13/13 beatstick. That's basically "win the game", especially with a haste granter.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

TwistedNails posted:

If you have a Gonti please try it in there and let me know if it works out well. The deck looks amazing but I am not sure if I want to invest in it yet.

I replaced the white gearhulk with it and it seemed decent the few times I got it. I hate the white gearhulk since it's a non-bo with the namesake card so I was happy to ditch it and I got some great value doubling up Gonti triggers. The deck is fun as heck, if you have the tickets to spare I think it's definitely worth throwing together. Heads up that Sapphron was on earlier streaming a modified version of the deck with more white. I didn't get the full list but looked like he had added stasis snares, quarantine fields, and avacyn. Seemed more streamlined for the purpose of being competitive but the original version linked in the thread is definitely fun as heck.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Zemyla posted:

Has anyone done a Standard brew with Soup Separator and Tree of Perdition? For 8 mana, you can get something that can reduce your opponent to 1 life and a 13/13 beatstick. That's basically "win the game", especially with a haste granter.

no soup separator for you

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Zemyla posted:

Isn't it a 0/13 beater rather than 13/13?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zemyla posted:

When you separate the soup you get a 1/1 with the ability bit you get a 0/13 zombie. It's worded awkwardly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If you want to play some fun jank at regoinals.

hilariously viable.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Zemyla posted:

Alternatively swing for lethal with the 1/X flyer.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

hilariously viable.

This is absolutely and completely my poo poo.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Sickening posted:

hilariously viable.

No Bomat courier?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Mystic Mongol posted:

No Bomat courier?

It was something that was tried , a lot. The problem is that its simply not great in a deck without loot thopter. Loot thopter doesn't work because the discard times are terrible with creatures with madness which is kind of the theme of the deck. You also play a tapped land on turn 1 way too often.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
That's a pity--I like the cute little guy.

e: Content: I drafted a red/white deck today.

That's two commons that combine into a 8/3 trampler on turn four, which is pretty OK!

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 14, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Quick rules Q- there's a Night of Souls' Betrayal in play. I cast Snapcaster, which hits the battlefield as a 1/0. Do I get the flashback trigger or does it die as a SBE from having 0 toughness before the trigger goes on the stack?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Quick rules Q- there's a Night of Souls' Betrayal in play. I cast Snapcaster, which hits the battlefield as a 1/0. Do I get the flashback trigger or does it die as a SBE from having 0 toughness before the trigger goes on the stack?

yes

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

C-Euro posted:

It dies as a SBE before the trigger goes on the stack, then the trigger goes on the stack.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

Why not both? To be honest I'm not sure what order the Snapcaster dying and the trigger going on the stack happens - I think Snapcaster dies before you can put the trigger on the stack but I'm not sure. I also don't think it matters. So either way, it dies and you get its trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

C-Euro posted:

Hits, triggers, dies. If the snapcaster dying does anything, that resolves before the snapcaster effect does, because it goes on the stack second.

• Locked thread