Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
But the point of a business building and selling cars is not to go fast around a track. Going fast is one means to that end. Building and selling cars is for earning money. Porsche knows this and is willing to continue developing rear engine vehicles because it earns them money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
No, Porsche continues to develop and sell the Cayenne because it earns them money.

I'm sure that there would be enthusiasts that would be pissed off if the 911 went to a mid-engine platform, but I'm also sure that the number of purists like that in the market for a brand new 911 is a statistical drop in the bucket. Here in San Francisco, I probably see twenty Cayennes and Panameras for every 911.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's not about switching the 911 to mid-engine, or which is a better-engineered platform. It's about Porsche understanding how to be in business building cars. When your flagship model (to be clear, 911) is your biggest per-unit profit earner, which also helps sell huge volumes of less profitable models, you don't need your flagship to be engineered differently.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 13, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Plus, the 911 looks better than the ducktails boxter/cayman. Don't want to mess with that, either.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
To be candid, I pretty much like everything Porsche does. Yeah even the uglass Panamera

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

One small comparison for sake of argument and all the four wheelers come driving out of the woodwork!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

clutchpuck posted:

To be candid, I pretty much like everything Porsche does. Yeah even the uglass Panamera

No lie, a white panamera S with a sunroof and brown interior is one of my top dream cars.

Ola posted:

One small comparison for sake of argument and all the four wheelers come driving out of the woodwork!

I'd like to take a moment of your time to enumerate and elaborate on the parallels and comparisons between Porsche and KTM as companies, and designers.

Why don't you take this orange pamphet so you can follow along...

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Wow there are suddenly a lot of balding middle aged men in here.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coydog posted:

I'd like to take a moment of your time to enumerate and elaborate on the parallels and comparisons between Porsche and KTM as companies, and designers.

Yeah I was going to say, the toilet with pumps and hoses thing reminds me of sticking with single cylinder engines and sticking them full of spark plugs and balance shafts.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

No lie, a white panamera S with a sunroof and brown interior is one of my top dream cars.

Why don't you take this orange pamphet so you can follow along...

Please tell me you're about to make a clever engine comparison of some variety. Because KTM tends to win everything in the dirt. Dakar, supercross, erzberg (ktm, white version).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

Kinda proud to say all I know about the Panamera is that the heated seats are very, very hot, thanks to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ftrk9cjJgw

However those stupid loving Cayennes are everywhere and are rapidly replacing Audis as the cars most likely to make me try and remember if I've renewed my life insurance.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

However those stupid loving Cayennes are everywhere and are rapidly replacing Audis as the cars most likely to make me try and remember if I've renewed my life insurance.

Funny, seeing a Cayenne driver being a douche just makes me wonder if I should bite the bullet and put a criminal defense attorney on retainer for when I eventually snap and drag one if these texting assholes out of their vehicle and beat them senseless with my helmet.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 14, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Beach Bum posted:

Funny, seeing a Cayenne driver being a douche just makes me wonder if I should bite the bullet and put a criminal defense attorney on retainer for when I eventually snap and drag one if these texting assholes out of their vehicle and beat them senseless with my helmet.

Invest in a gopro too. They have it coming.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Ya'll have a lot of pent up anger for Cayanne drivers. I've never really had a problem with them, in particular, but SUV drivers, as a whole, are the absolute worst. It seems like it's a combination of drivers who are so afraid of driving, and have such a minute understanding of how to safely operate a vehicle, choosing the vehicle that puts them up the highest and protects them the most because they expect to hit other things. This, like old people driving the polar opposite vehicle a person with poor reaction and spacial relations should be driving, leads to a bunch of idiots creating dangerous situations on a regular basis.

Case in point, this morning I watched a white suv pull out on a high speed street right in front of a guy on an XB09/12. I know this, because I heard his exhaust as he panic stopped, and saw him stopped inches from the driver's door, screaming at them for what they just did. What's worse, the SUV driver just STOPPED, SIDEWAYS, in the middle of a busy two lane. Like, they realized a bike was about to broad side them, and stopped, blocking the entire street. Even after the bike stopped, they stayed there for a good thirty seconds. What is wrong with people.

I started to walk out to the street to help diffuse things, or break open windows and drag the driver out, depending on the situation, but they parted ways shortly after. Probably with a shruggle of "I didn't see you tee hee" from the SUV driver.

Every time I hear an XB, though, I'm dumbfounded at how good it sounds.

I need a gopro, and don't know the first thing about them. Don't feel like having a weight on my helmet, either.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 14, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
GoPro weight isn't really noticeable.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

You can feel the GoPro dragging in the wind if it's on the side. If you chin mount it you forget it's there unless you can see it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

Ya'll have a lot of pent up anger for Cayanne drivers.

People tend to get worked up about careless idiots who put us all in danger.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Looks like you checked the rest of my post with the same care you check your oil levels, chiche.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Cayenne drivers make all of us Porsche drivers look bad; if I'm out driving in my Carrera RS or my RUF Yellowbird, I get all sorts of guff, but I'm like see, you don't understand, it's different.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

penus penus penus posted:

I added some signal lights to my 08 sv650. It was used and had garbage side markers and an integrated taillight I dont particularly like. I replaced the side markers with much brighter lights, spliced in the parking lights with LED's as signals as well, and added a flasher relay. It all worked fine. I wasn't sure what to do with the rear so I just added two LED turn signal strips (I know...) and spliced them into the integrated taillight wiring. It worked fine, better than expected, but now my left turn signal indicator stays on faintly between blinks.

However when I turn on the hazards the glow goes away and it works as expected.

It seems to me everything actually functions correctly except the indicator on the dash. I haven't had time to mess with it but I'm pretty sure just unplugged the LED strips will reverse this.

Another bad gif of all the lights

edit: I forgot to ask the actual question: Should I be concerned?

Slide Hammer posted:

Flashers and turn signals work off of electrical draw in the line. LEDs have MUCH less draw than incandescent bulbs, so, the flashers will act strange if you change them to LEDs and they were originally incandescent. Try getting one of those electronic flashers, like this: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/lf1-s-flat-universal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/787/

Make sure the plug will match up.

Ah yes I probably wasby as clear as I should have been there , I did install a flasher relay which worked just great. Hyperblink eradicated

My issue was the left turn signal indicator would stay lit between blinks. But just at half brightness , whereas the right side functions correctly. Also with hazards on the strange left signal indicator would blink normally.

But all that being, said... It just stopped happening, which bothered me more. Ill recheck the connections. I just wanted to make sure I didn't do something fundamentally wrong.8

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's probably just some weird side effect of the LEDs. Motorcycle electrical wiring is, in my experience, really loving bizarre, and often relies on unusual characteristics of the specific OEM layout to work properly. For instance, the turn signal indicator lamp on my NT650 is illuminated by allowing a small amount of current from the signal to flow backwards through the opposite-side lamp whenever the signal is engaged. The only reason this works (and doesn't illuminate the opposite side signal too) is because the indicator lamp acts as a resistor and reduces current flow to the signal enough that it doesn't glow.

When I switched to LEDs, initially the indicator quit working because current can't flow backwards through an LED like it can an incandescent bulb. Also, all four turn signals came on whenever the bike was on (though they flashed properly when activated). I had to patch some extra diodes and resistors into the harness to stop that from happening, and to fix the indicator, but as a side effect there's now a tiny leakage current across the indicator that makes it flash between full-brightness and half-brightness whenever the signals are flashing. (It turns off properly when the signals are off).

So basically who the gently caress knows what might be going on with your bike. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Sagebrush posted:

It's probably just some weird side effect of the LEDs. Motorcycle electrical wiring is, in my experience, really loving bizarre, and often relies on unusual characteristics of the specific OEM layout to work properly. For instance, the turn signal indicator lamp on my NT650 is illuminated by allowing a small amount of current from the signal to flow backwards through the opposite-side lamp whenever the signal is engaged. The only reason this works (and doesn't illuminate the opposite side signal too) is because the indicator lamp acts as a resistor and reduces current flow to the signal enough that it doesn't glow.

When I switched to LEDs, initially the indicator quit working because current can't flow backwards through an LED like it can an incandescent bulb. Also, all four turn signals came on whenever the bike was on (though they flashed properly when activated). I had to patch some extra diodes and resistors into the harness to stop that from happening, and to fix the indicator, but as a side effect there's now a tiny leakage current across the indicator that makes it flash between full-brightness and half-brightness whenever the signals are flashing. (It turns off properly when the signals are off).

So basically who the gently caress knows what might be going on with your bike. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Advice accepted. Lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Looks like you checked the rest of my post with the same care you check your oil levels, chiche.

I laughed, well done.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
So I was just about to have a crack at installing my Cyclops LEDs (finally), but discovered I need a T6 bit to fit the low beam shields, so the mission was aborted.

While poking around the front of my bike though, I noticed the bottom of my fork tubes have specks of rust where the chrome has been chipped. I have three questions:

1. WTF? The areas chipped are behind the part of the front fender which guards them, so I'm having a hard time imagining what could have bent like beckham around the fender while still being heavy enough to damage the surface
2. Are these flecks of rust going to tear up my fork seals? My forks are set up fairly well I think so the last inch of the tube (almost?) never gets used from what I can tell, but should they meet this is going to be bad for the seals, right?
3. What's my course of action here? Polish them with something to remove the rust specs and then wipe down with WD-40 to try to stop them from re-rusting?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If it's just surface rust, hit it with steel wool or aluminum foil and get it off there

If it's through the chrome it will gently caress your fork seals and you will need to replace the tube for it to work right without destroying seals

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

If it's a discrete spot of rust that implies stone chip through to the substrate, right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Oftentimes the forks don't compress down to the very bottom so those parts of the chrome never get cleaned up/coated in oil and eventually some grit wears through. I'd clean it up with aluminum foil as stated and not worry about it.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Z3n posted:

Oftentimes the forks don't compress down to the very bottom so those parts of the chrome never get cleaned up/coated in oil and eventually some grit wears through. I'd clean it up with aluminum foil as stated and not worry about it.

Yeah, they were the parts of the forks which you can tell pretty much have never seen fork oil in their lives, there's just dry grunge on them. I'll polish them up and just ride the loving thing. Is WD-40 ok for fork seals? It's easy enough to hit them with that regularly to keep a bit of a barrier on there.. Or White Lightning MTB chain lube which can also be used on MTB forks?

Also is lithium grease pretty much safe on anything on a bike?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Is WD-40 ok for fork seals? It's easy enough to hit them with that regularly to keep a bit of a barrier on there..

It's what I use on my conventional fork tubes and I haven't noticed any seal degradation. Go hog wild.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I just pre-ordered a 2017 701 Supermoto. Now there were only very few exhausts (slip ons) for the 2016 701, but that had the same engine as the 690 SMC, so people just used exhausts designed for that. The 2017 will use an updated engine. In general, can I just take an exhaust for a similar bike (i.e. the SMC) and (provided I make it fit, of course) run it on mine? Or will I suffer Massive Horsepower Loss as the can won't have the exact right length/diameter for my bike? Are common slip-ons like the Remus Hexacone and Leo Vince SBK even different bar the mounting brackets when they're sold for different bikes?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

I just pre-ordered a 2017 701 Supermoto. Now there were only very few exhausts (slip ons) for the 2016 701, but that had the same engine as the 690 SMC, so people just used exhausts designed for that. The 2017 will use an updated engine. In general, can I just take an exhaust for a similar bike (i.e. the SMC) and (provided I make it fit, of course) run it on mine? Or will I suffer Massive Horsepower Loss as the can won't have the exact right length/diameter for my bike? Are common slip-ons like the Remus Hexacone and Leo Vince SBK even different bar the mounting brackets when they're sold for different bikes?

It'll be fine.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

I need a gopro, and don't know the first thing about them. Don't feel like having a weight on my helmet, either.
If only we had a helmet cam thread.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

High Protein posted:

You're probably going to lose midrange and it's gonna run weird on the top end without fueling changes, the muffler on the 701 has a cat in it so pulling it off dramatically changes backpressure. Plus those bikes are pretty sensitive to proper fueling. The engine is very, very midrange heavy stock and falls flat at the top end, (although the new motor might not have that problem) and while I'd imagine opening up the exhaust and/or intake would help with that, you're gonna wanna fix the fueling as well. A very large single relies on running a bit rich on the fueling to help keep the piston cool so you should really avoid reducing back pressure without fixing the fueling.

This is from the previous 690 LC4s and the current gen Duke LC4 - I don't think they dramatically changed the design of the engine so you're probably going to have the same tuning recommendations as the previous versions of the engine.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Z3n posted:

You're probably going to lose midrange and it's gonna run weird on the top end without fueling changes, the muffler on the 701 has a cat in it so pulling it off dramatically changes backpressure. Plus those bikes are pretty sensitive to proper fueling. The engine is very, very midrange heavy stock and falls flat at the top end, (although the new motor might not have that problem) and while I'd imagine opening up the exhaust and/or intake would help with that, you're gonna wanna fix the fueling as well. A very large single relies on running a bit rich on the fueling to help keep the piston cool so you should really avoid reducing back pressure without fixing the fueling.

This is from the previous 690 LC4s and the current gen Duke LC4 - I don't think they dramatically changed the design of the engine so you're probably going to have the same tuning recommendations as the previous versions of the engine.

The 690 muffler I would use would also have a cat and I would definitely add a power commander; I'm mostly concerned that the old and new Dukes use different exhaust part no.'s and that the Akra exhaust for the new 701 looks different than the old one too. On the other hand, the exact same slip-ons are sold for the ''15 and '16 Dukes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Check if the mid pipes match or harass grizzledmelkeba to measure the inlet on his. The exhaust might mate to to the midpipe but you're probably gonna have plastic clearance issues.

Why, exactly, are you doing this? If your goals are noise and you don't really care about HP, your plan is fine. If you actually want the can to benefit the bike as much as possible, wait until Akra release a real can for it, pair it with a KTM stage 1 or 2 kit so you've got everything properly tuned and set up for the engine, and go from there - what you're looking for here is that each of the modifications interact in a way that works together to build a consistent delivery of power, between exhaust pulse changes improving scavenging in some places, airbox resonance and volume doing the same, and the cam (if you go all out) balancing on top of it all.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Z3n posted:

If you actually want the can to benefit the bike as much as possible, wait until Akra release a real can for it, pair it with a KTM stage 1 or 2 kit so you've got everything properly tuned and set up for the engine, and go from there - what you're looking for here is that each of the modifications interact in a way that works together to build a consistent delivery of power, between exhaust pulse changes improving scavenging in some places, airbox resonance and volume doing the same, and the cam (if you go all out) balancing on top of it all.

That would be the best thing to do, but for the 2016 model the Akra can was $1000 for just a slip-on, and they never released other maps for it (can't flash the KTM maps). So in the meantime I'll try to make do with another can and a power commander.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

There's a reason the Akra stuff is so expensive - mostly that they actually buy the bikes and do the dyno tuning work to get the right exhaust characteristics for the bike. Depending on priorities, obviously, but all the Akra exhausts I've used have been a significant step up in quality/fit/design from other exhausts.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I bought a Wings slip on for the 690 smc, and it's currently on the way from Slovenia. All of my research and talking with other KTM riders tells me that it's essentially an Akra with a different name. My customer service dealings with the company have been astounding so far, and I look forward to seeing how it stands up.

Of course, I'll be using stock maps until next year, so I cannot report on it's performance with a full tune and airbox mods.

It might be worth a look, for you. I got a sizable discount by ordering factory direct (350 usd), but they even retail at 600, which is better than 1000+ for the Akra.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah at $350 I can totally see it making sense to go that way - let us know how it all turns out :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

High Protein posted:

That would be the best thing to do, but for the 2016 model the Akra can was $1000 for just a slip-on

So you're willing to shell out all the extra money to get an expensive high end sumo instead of a cheap DRZ, but now you're balking at spending the scratch to get a properly matching high end slipon? :cmon: