Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

This guy's really got my number, and that number is 6 million, the number of minorities I want to kill.

I can't believe you're admitting to wanting to kill six million minorities.... they're people too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Roland Jones posted:

Kill Six Million Minorities.

I doubt that webcomic will get off the ground.

Have you seen webcomics? It'll probably get a decent Patreon backing and everything.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Trevor Hale posted:

Motherfuckers, we can't even keep climate change deniers off of the governmental science committees. We can't keep the organization that buys students' textbooks from being white supremacist historical revisionists. Now you want to put someone in charge of saying what speech and thoughts are good and legal?

If you have issues with this you have issues with democracy in general, and so do I.

It's important that the federal government be ahead of the curve on issues such as race for that particular reason.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Minimalist Program posted:

I can't believe you're admitting to wanting to kill six million minorities.... they're people too...
Actually, they're fascists, and I have a group of specially-appointed prosecutors who can prove it.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Groovelord Neato posted:

under the law i proposed, none of these things would happen.

Do you seriously think the legal apparatus of any country is perfect enough to enforce the law without a myriad of interpretations loving it up the moment it hits the ground? Because if so, please direct your attention to the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments and then explain why we still have literal slavery and voter suppression in the US.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Donkwich posted:

Doesn't Germany explicitly ban fascist parties and symbols and yet they're still contending with a right-wing nationalist party that's totally not fascist you guys?

As other people have mentioned elsewhere in the thread, not all racists are facistic.

Plus, as always, laws need propping up if people are going to take them seriously. It's like how weed is only really a banned substance for people from minority groups.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mendrian posted:

It's almost like putting all bad ideas in a bucket and painting 'fascist' on the side doesn't magically let you get rid of those ideas!

But it makes it that much harder for them to get elected.

Fascism and the symbology of power go hand in hand with each other.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

under the law i proposed, none of these things would happen.

This is true.

Can't wait for every word a politician says to get instantly litigated by a team of opposition lawyers smiling like vultures in the crowd.

We could probably just say gently caress it and get the Lie Police on it. They actually set your pants on fire.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Mendrian posted:

It's almost like putting all bad ideas in a bucket and painting 'fascist' on the side doesn't magically let you get rid of those ideas!

Ugh. If you'd been paying attention, you'd realize that doing so allows you to keep them from spreading their ideas or getting elected.

Unless they like, hide their true beliefs. I guess we'd need a committee devoted to making sure those in the media and in politics don't have views that run counter to the principles of our nation.

Senate's too busy, would definitely need to be in the House. Needs a catchy name too. Any ideas?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mendrian posted:

This is true.

Can't wait for every word a politician says to get instantly litigated by a team of opposition lawyers smiling like vultures in the crowd.

We could probably just say gently caress it and get the Lie Police on it. They actually set your pants on fire.

this would own.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Josef bugman posted:

Didn't Umberto Eco say that Facism isn't neccesarily even an ideology? It's more a grab bag of different terrible ideas cobbled together to make a terrible minority disenfranchising machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_O822pBg_w

Essentially, yes.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Does it? Somehow we've managed to not elect any fascists in the US and, oh look, we're going to not elect a fascist again.

Stop letting irrational fear of something that isn't happening inform your political opinions.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Fascism and the symbology of power go hand in hand with each other.

Well, sure! And I mean, I'm all for saying 'no swastikas on US presidential ballets' too. But it's not going to make actually racist assholes stop running for office and it's not going to erode their support. It just changes the language of what they're saying. At absolute best, where you have a law where people can't say or do anything racist, you'd have a bunch of politicians talking to their demographic in a wink nudge sort of way, which is almost what happens with Trump right now.

If you want to stop this kind of thinking you need to start at the ground level, with education and children. You can't just ban bad people, it will never work.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Geoff Peterson posted:

Unless they like, hide their true beliefs. I guess we'd need a committee devoted to making sure those in the media and in politics don't have views that run counter to the principles of our nation.

Fascists can't hide their beliefs. If people say this there are two possible explanations: The media has been lying or the person who said it is in denial and selectively omitted something they said.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
What if we passed a law that it was illegal to pass a bad law.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Also the idea of educating people as the sole deterrent to fascism is quite literally what we have tried to do over the last 70 years and since you guys think 30+% of white adults are fascists apparently that hasn't worked terribly well so maybe it's a good time to try something else to stamp out the strain of southern Irredentism that has mutated into the white nationalist movement that has hijacked a major party in the US

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Yaws posted:

Poor Julian Assange. He thought his leaks would turn the election and his man is going to lose in a likely blowout

Funny part is that if he didn't spend months hyping up stuff only to then leak a bunch of crap after each and every time and instead remained silent and then dumped literally everything at once right now it might have made a difference. There would have still been nothing damaging but releasing it all at once would have seriously muddied the waters.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Evil Fluffy posted:

Has he made a statement to the effect of "a bunch of angry white wing assholes yelling at me just reinforces why I protest" yet?

At some point in an interview he mentioned that if he were to be attacked it would just prove his point. i can't find the quote but he might have even said that if he were killed it would prove his point.

also since the shirts got posted here's some cool bills fans supporting kaep:
https://twitter.com/NickVeronica/status/787699971617423360

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Funny part is that if he didn't spend months hyping up stuff only to then leak a bunch of crap after each and every time and instead remained silent and then dumped literally everything at once right now it might have made a difference. There would have still been nothing damaging but releasing it all at once would have seriously muddied the waters.

If he'd put this out at the right moment in the primaries it would have...probably done nothing and if it did do anything we'd see President Sanders because Trump is a dumpster fire of madness and idiocy, lol.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Mendrian posted:

I'm all for saying 'no swastikas on US presidential ballets' too.

Somewhere MIGF just got the most intense erection and he's not sure why. The tip remainder of his middle finger tingles, pulsating, as if to the beat of Swan Lake.

He rolls over and drifts back off to sleep.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Fascists can't hide their beliefs. If people say this there are two possible explanations: The media has been lying or the person who said it is in denial and selectively omitted something they said.

Assume a spherical elephant in a frictionless swamp....

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Yaws posted:

Poor Julian Assange. He thought his leaks would turn the election and his man is going to lose in a likely blowout

Julian Assange wants the kind of person that would likely have him imprisoned for releasing leaks for president.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Isn't this all Constitutional amendments?
To some extent yes, but I was thinking of something more hardline. Not just allowing the Supreme Court to overturn an application of the theoretical anti-fascist amendment, by which point it would probably be too late, but requiring their assent before it could even be triggered to block someone from running. (It would also explicitly forbid the House, Senate and President from devolving the power to say what's fascist to some HUAC-analogue.) I'm not sure it would actually work, in that if you've reached the point where the majority of people want to elect fascists then you're probably hosed already, but it at least seems like it would be difficult to corrupt.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

SomeMathGuy posted:

Have you seen webcomics? It'll probably get a decent Patreon backing and everything.

It's a refference to this (kickass and cool) Webcomic:

http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-6-103-to-6-104-war-of-the-teacups/

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
In which dumbshit faux-leftists freely admit that the problem isn't dictators, it's that the dictators aren't being properly leftist.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mendrian posted:

Well, sure! And I mean, I'm all for saying 'no swastikas on US presidential ballets' too. But it's not going to make actually racist assholes stop running for office and it's not going to erode their support. It just changes the language of what they're saying. At absolute best, where you have a law where people can't say or do anything racist, you'd have a bunch of politicians talking to their demographic in a wink nudge sort of way, which is almost what happens with Trump right now.

If you want to stop this kind of thinking you need to start at the ground level, with education and children. You can't just ban bad people, it will never work.

Fascists are worse than just some harbored racism.

As a said in an earlier post, their policies extend well beyond the damage done by simply taking a net sum of all the racists beliefs of their supporters.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Geoff Peterson posted:

Ugh. If you'd been paying attention, you'd realize that doing so allows you to keep them from spreading their ideas or getting elected.

Senate's too busy, would definitely need to be in the House. Needs a catchy name too. Any ideas?

A committee in the House to catch activities that may be considered un-American? Drawing a blank here.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

So then fascists can't hide their beliefs except when they do?

This webcomic is cool and good.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If the HUAC actually went after fascists instead of leftists that would have been an objectively good thing

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
If Watergate never happens, how does the rest of Nixon's term go and the 1976 election?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

pumpinglemma posted:

To some extent yes, but I was thinking of something more hardline. Not just allowing the Supreme Court to overturn an application of the theoretical anti-fascist amendment, by which point it would probably be too late, but requiring their assent before it could even be triggered to block someone from running. (It would also explicitly forbidd the House, Senate and President from devolving the power to say what's fascist to some HUAC-analogue.) I'm not sure it would actually work, in that if you've reached the point where the majority of people want to elect fascists then you're probably hosed already, but it at least seems like it would be difficult to corrupt.

Exactly. The problem isn't the speech, it's that people are supporting the speech, and this is a loving democracy. You stop that by long, slow, grinding social progress, not by waving your Magic Wand of the Glorious People's Revolution and banning wrongthink. It's just magical thinking, plain and simple, the same sort of thinking that leads to people being honestly offended when politicians suggest moderate improvements that can be made right now rather than mandating Full Communism Now or whatever.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Fascists are worse than just some harbored racism.

As a said in an earlier post, their policies extend well beyond the damage done by simply taking a net sum of all the racists beliefs of their supporters.

Please define fascism and explain how you would ban them.

EDIT: Also I hope people are being sarcastic and not actually advocating for McCarthy-esque hearings to weed out fascists. Because the twist ending to the movie is a real doozy.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 16, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

antidemocratic violent palingenetic ultranationalism.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Roland Jones posted:

Kill Six Million Minorities.

I doubt that webcomic will get off the ground.

How about Bash Eighty Eight Million Fash.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

What about Muslim fascists, they have that whole Taqiyya thing.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Quorum posted:

Exactly. The problem isn't the speech, it's that people are supporting the speech, and this is a loving democracy. You stop that by long, slow, grinding social progress, not by waving your Magic Wand of the Glorious People's Revolution and banning wrongthink. It's just magical thinking, plain and simple, the same sort of thinking that leads to people being honestly offended when politicians suggest moderate improvements that can be made right now rather than mandating Full Communism Now or whatever.

The magical thinking is that there is an objective truth that you can educate people with and that will make them not be racists and lovely people

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
It's also probably not a good thing to cast a politician as literally Hitler when the only difference between him and the guys who preceded him is that he's loud and overtly racist instead of subversively so.

That's a rhetorical bullet that doesn't really work after you use it a few times, and it's one we should probably be saving as a society for the actual fascist uprising.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Trevor Hale posted:

Motherfuckers, we can't even keep climate change deniers off of the governmental science committees. We can't keep the organization that buys students' textbooks from being white supremacist historical revisionists. Now you want to put someone in charge of saying what speech and thoughts are good and legal?

Swedish Chef talking sense.

schweens posted:

At some point in an interview he mentioned that if he were to be attacked it would just prove his point. i can't find the quote but he might have even said that if he were killed it would prove his point.

also since the shirts got posted here's some cool bills fans supporting kaep:
https://twitter.com/NickVeronica/status/787699971617423360
This is good, but then I saw a bunch of whiteys with their fists up.

Guys.

We ... we can't do that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

How long does it take for this to get good? I tried reading it once before but after about 20 minutes or so I just gave up.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Admiral Ray posted:

So then fascists can't hide their beliefs except when they do?

Their "outside appeal" and critique of other conservatives falls apart without it.

If you want to apply this to Trump in particular, look how much his answer stood out Re: Sanders supporters compared to other Republicans. I was unreal the first time I heard it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Quorum posted:

In which dumbshit faux-leftists freely admit that the problem isn't dictators, it's that the dictators aren't being properly leftist.

The problem to most people isn't dictators. Merely that it's hard to get rid of dictators.

• Locked thread