Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Throwdown posted:

I don't find the Martha scene as weird as the fact that Superman suddenly resorting to ripping Batman a new one at the beginning of the fight, he could have taken a few more seconds to talk before knocking Batman 30 feet away and throwing him through a building.

Yeah I like how he just shoves Batman away after apparently getting close enough to have a conversation. Then there's no dialogue until they get up on the roof where Superman threatens him again. "If I wanted it, you'd be dead already!". Great communication skills Superman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Throwdown posted:

I don't find the Martha scene as weird as the fact that Superman suddenly resorting to ripping Batman a new one at the beginning of the fight, he could have taken a few more seconds to talk before knocking Batman 30 feet away and throwing him through a building.
Superman was admittedly unsure of what he would do, as he told Lois just before meeting Batman. Superman in his continuing hubris thinks a show of power will get Batman to refrain, that he would be susceptible to bullying, which is where it all went wrong. Superman wasn't right and Batman wrong- they were both wrong, Batman for becoming the assailant for a sense of powerlessness and Superman for his continuing false superiority, behaving in a manner that his means are justified for his good intentions, solidifying Batman's view of him as a wayward superpower in need of eradication.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

cvnvcnv posted:

Superman was admittedly unsure of what he would do, as he told Lois just before meeting Batman. Superman in his continuing hubris thinks a show of power will get Batman to refrain, that he would be susceptible to bullying, which is where it all went wrong. Superman wasn't right and Batman wrong- they were both wrong, Batman for becoming the assailant for a sense of powerlessness and Superman for his continuing false superiority, behaving in a manner that his means are justified for his good intentions, solidifying Batman's view of him as a wayward superpower in need of eradication.

So we have an experienced batman acting like a baby and we already had another movie about an inexperienced superman acting like a baby...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I feel like the older I get, the more I've realized I've never seen a war movie that doesn't glorify war.

Watch Paths of Glory

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Throwdown posted:

Superman was trying to engage him in conversation but Batman attacked him with his traps first. Everything he learned about Batman up to that point led him to believe that force was the only way to get him to listen. Batman even explicitly states it.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Throwdown posted:

The whole movie's a mess, man.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's a lot less defined in the theatrical cut. In it he feels under pressure to do things quickly because the last time someone threatened his mom he sent him through a grain silo and a gas station with reckless abandon. In the Ultimate Cut, it is a lot more clear when he was talking with the girlfriend of the convict that got shanked in prison, on top of all that pressure.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Watch Paths of Glory

Paths of Glory (and its pseudo-sequel, the Tales From The Crypt Episode "Yellow") are still nevertheless about glorifying the individual soldier. That's the problem with war - even when you depict it as unglamorously and miserably as possible, the scenario is still dramatic enough to inspire feelings of adventure. The whole scheme is designed that way, the uniforms, the cameraderie, being shot at, it's inevitably thrilling and tense. That's why the closest thing to it is something like Johnny Got His Gun. No battle, no danger, just the aftermath where you're forgotten and dying in pain.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Billy, don't be a hero

basically the best anti war message.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Paths of Glory (and its pseudo-sequel, the Tales From The Crypt Episode "Yellow") are still nevertheless about glorifying the individual soldier. That's the problem with war - even when you depict it as unglamorously and miserably as possible, the scenario is still dramatic enough to inspire feelings of adventure. The whole scheme is designed that way, the uniforms, the cameraderie, being shot at, it's inevitably thrilling and tense. That's why the closest thing to it is something like Johnny Got His Gun. No battle, no danger, just the aftermath where you're forgotten and dying in pain.

What?

It's showing the pseudo-glory that the Officers get by sacrificing their own men. There's no glory for those who are used to propel their commanders' egos.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KVeezy3 posted:

Judging decisions purely by their outcomes are for children.

Sure, but ultimately, he's right. The Godkiller Staff served its purpose. It just happened to score a double-kill.

quote:

Superman forgot he's invincible and lost his temper, triggering the fight. A more right-minded person would have stopped advancing on Batman, but his mom was in danger.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 16, 2016

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Drifter posted:

The name itself was luck - WHAT A STRANGE CONFLUENCE OF EVENTS -, but Batman had already stated Superman's ALIEN PARENTS were probably useless pieces of poo poo like their son.

Superman, in the middle of being murdered, decided that he wanted to get his mom out of danger. He was telling Batman to save this human lady named Martha. Lois just hammered it home that Superman had HUMAN PARENTS and was less of an alien than Batman was thinking previously.

That's sorta fun that Batman's reason for not killing Superman hinges on him being a xenophobic rear end in a top hat just as much as killing him would have.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

That's sorta fun that Batman's reason for not killing Superman hinges on him being a xenophobic rear end in a top hat just as much as killing him would have.

Batman's had a rough 18 months.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

What?

It's showing the pseudo-glory that the Officers get by sacrificing their own men. There's no glory for those who are used to propel their commanders' egos.

Agreed. Nothing was depicted glorious in Paths of Glory. None of the French soldiers manage to kill their German enemies. They mostly get slaughtered by them or killing each other through means accidental or otherwise. The only German person we even see is the girl at the bar, and she manages to move everyone to tears.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

What?

Far from a bad thing, but you're about to make me watch Paths of Glory again.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Just rerecorded it the other day, but if you think it doesn't inspire feelings of adventure and that self insert kinda what I would do fantasy, play Valiant Hearts. It's like 80% Paths of Glory and The Grand Illusion fanfic but still an adventure game. I do think is worth noting that the particular mythological role of world war 1 in our culture is as "the bad war" that was deprived of its glory and righteousness and adventure, as a direct contrast to all the other, redeemable wars.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
e:ehhhh

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Sorry?

It is Kubrick's best film by far.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Sorry?

Come on!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Sorry?

Bold statement.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
are there spoilers for dr strange yet

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, who shows up in the poat-credits scene?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

John Romero posted:

are there spoilers for dr strange yet

Dr. Strange wins, some light hearted comedy transpires, a post-credits teaser has promises for future films.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Barudak posted:

Dr. Strange wins, some light hearted comedy transpires, a post-credits teaser has promises for future films.

sold.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Mameluke posted:

My money's on Howard the Duck reappearing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He's only gonna show up in Guardians as that's one of Gunn's favorite characters.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Sorry?

Far from a bad thing means it's a good thing, because it's been a great movie. Best Kubrick, eh. There's not much value in fighting over whether Paths is better than 2001 or The Killing or whatever. What would that even mean? How would you compare them?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Mameluke posted:

Spiderman.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mameluke posted:

It'll be the introduction of the ultimate cinematic universe to use as the revolving door for new actors to replace the old cast. Also it'll introduce Miles.

Or they can play it safe and give us what we really want: MODOK

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Barudak posted:

Spoiler tag that you rear end in a top hat!!!! :argh:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It'll be the introduction of the ultimate cinematic universe to use as the revolving door for new actors to replace the old cast. Also it'll introduce Miles.

Or they can play it safe and give us what we really want: MODOK
MODAAK* or bust.

*Mental Organism Designed As America's King.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

MODAAK* or bust.

*Mental Organism Designed As America's King.

I was going to make a joke about how he looks like Trump, but apparently that's the idea :stare:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right: you identify more with Batman because you perceive his unholy 'Christ-Killer' murder weapon in rational-utilitarian terms. "This might come in handy later..."

The problem with misplacing the Spear of Destiny is that Hitler finds it and needs to be defeated by Japanese teenagers.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Perhaps a hamster posted:

I was going to make a joke about how he looks like Trump, but apparently that's the idea :stare:

M.O.D.M.A.G.A.

Mental Organism Designed to Make America Great Again

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/T6rJYXy.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/yomyqoi.gifv

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Was Civil War that gray? Dang.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Was Civil War that gray? Dang.

The gif looks a little washed out.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

There's a common color palette for all the frames of the GIFs, which can be accommodated a bit through dithering, but it does tend to wash the image out a little. Nothing I can really do about it. The still image is a full-color PNG, though, so represents how the movie really looks. The scene is naturally on the grey side, as compared to stuff like the airport fight, but the GIF process isn't helping.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
WebM shouldn't suffer from that problem, and you can embed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I liked the Civil War fight more. I had more of an investment in the characters, which is kind of a big thing for action to have. If you don't care, what's the point?

The BvS fight is shot well, I guess. These movie fights are always weird to me because yeah, the one from Snyder's film looks better, but so what? I just can't love a film soley based on it's visuals. It's a part of it, but I need good characters too. And while I turned around on BvS, I still like Civil War a lot more. (Just re-watched). That ending fight might be one of my favorite climaxes in a Marvel film, solely because it's so stripped down and completely focused on character and nothing else. I don't think it even takes a break until we cut to Zemo after the "iconic shot".

It's not perfect, not a fan of that whole middle section of the fight where Iron Man and Bucky are jumping/flying around the silo cap, but hey.

• Locked thread