Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

So you're willing to shell out all the extra money to get an expensive high end sumo instead of a cheap DRZ, but now you're balking at spending the scratch to get a properly matching high end slipon? :cmon:

Haha I guess, though seriously with the introduction of the Husky the Venn diagram of 'supermotos' and 'bikes you can Actually For Real take the highway with' went from 1 to 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well, HCC, we don't all enjoy the "money is no object" lifestyle of being a professional Hater and Shade Thrower that you do.

I like Akra's logo, and their exhaust systems look great. I also understand their inflated price tag being such so that they can properly fit into the pricy KTM landscape. I do think that they are laughably overpriced, and don't really want to support that tomfoolery. This opinion is my own, and I choose to act on it personally by simply not buying their products.

High Protein posted:

Haha I guess, though seriously with the introduction of the Husky the Venn diagram of 'supermotos' and 'bikes you can Actually For Real take the highway with' went from 1 to 2.

Isn't it amazing? I was on a day trip yesterday with a pillion, and they suggested we take the highway back since it was getting dark. It was so nice to have that option with no problem (though I may need a small wind screen), and not worry about running out of power two up, or getting knocked around a bunch.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 16, 2016

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coydog posted:

Well, HCC, we don't all enjoy the "money is no object" lifestyle of being a professional Hater and Shade Thrower that you do.

I like Akra's logo, and their exhaust systems look great. I also understand their inflated price tag being such so that they can properly fit into the pricy KTM landscape. I do think that they are laughably overpriced, and don't really want to support that tomfoolery. This opinion is my own, and I choose to act on it personally by simply not buying their products.

Yeah exactly, especially the headers have insane prices. Still, it's a good racket, as they're the only officially approved parts. Some consolation is the fact that the magic words Full Akra do increase the value of your bike when you try to sell it though. I feel many other KTM parts are reasonably priced though, now when I had my Buell, that was just insane.

I've looked at the Wings exhausts and I've heard a lot of positive things about them, but they don't have eu-approval which isn't that important, but slightly more so when riding in Germany. Unsurprisingly, the Germans are sticklers for that kind of thing. Bolting on a pipe approved for the SMC is still technically illegal, though at least the pipe has the proper certification plate riveted on.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
"$1000 for 26 inches of pipe lol, I wonder if they make car exhaust"

$3750 for an axle back

:lol:

Nice scam.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

penus penus penus posted:

"$1000 for 26 inches of pipe lol, I wonder if they make car exhaust"

$3750 for an axle back

:lol:

Nice scam.

That's not a lot for an exhaust in the high end market, and I'm not sure how it's a 'scam'.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 16, 2016

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Some people ITT don't understand how much it costs to properly test a true performance exhaust to make sure it actually improves performance over the stock exhaust rather than merely being 'louder'.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I actually do, not to be a dick. I know little to nothing about the intricacies of motorcycle exhaust so I'm not commenting on that.

A $3750 axle back for a car, however, is a literal scam. There is no "properly testing" worth $3750 for two mufflers and exhaust pipe. You could argue that price - maybe - for a set of low volume headers that were an engineering marvel. For twin turbos.

They price it that high because people will buy it that high, no further reason required.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
$3700 for an axle back is ridiculous unless it's made of titanium but I don't really understand why you would make an axle back out of titanium unless it's for a car that already costs 200k.

$1000 is pretty reasonable for a high quality motorcycle exhaust though. Most manufacturers don't cheap out on materials. I paid about 900 for my full Yoshimura exhaust on my FZ. I was really impressed with the fit and finish even at that cost.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They are made of titanium, and by axle-back I'm guessing he means what Akrapovic calls their slipon line.

I'd love to know what he does to be able to ballpark the R&D of a full titanium exhaust for a low volume car since they aren't just simple pipes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

guy: "pffft i could make that for less than $3700"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

guy: "pffft i could make that for less than $3700"

It does look hilariously similar to this abomination:

that i had on my old VW T3. Cost me about 40 quid at an autojumble, and required highly complex installation (involving a pair of tin snips and a hammer) not to mention only the most careful tuning (chucking some Weber carbs off a bus on there, twiddling things until it stopped catching on fire).

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Buhbuhj posted:

I paid about 900 for my full Yoshimura exhaust on my FZ. I was really impressed with the fit and finish even at that cost.

Whoa whoa, slow down there bub. 1000 is for the *slip on*. If you want to add a bit of bent pipe to that for the full system, that's gonna be 2 grand.

Akra and whoever can charge whatever they want, and I'm not blind to the quality of a well made component. It's certainly not the only product with a hilarious markup because of the enthusiast market, and better than the process of giving money to people who piggy back on the R&D of others.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Coydog posted:

. If you want to add a bit of bent pipe to that for the full system, that's gonna be 2 grand.

That piece of bent pipe (header tubes and merge collector) is where the majority of the money spend developing a proper exhaust goes and where the power is made.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I bet I could replicate it with a bit of copper pipe and some RTV. :clint:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Funny thing is the akra pipe for the Drz is one of the worst performers. You'd think they would sink the r&d into it considering it was likely to be a high volume seller and would shape people's perception of the brand, but there you go.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Funny thing is the akra pipe for the Drz is one of the worst performers. You'd think they would sink the r&d into it considering it was likely to be a high volume seller and would shape people's perception of the brand, but there you go.

But the drz itself is a pretty lousy performer, tbh.

also you fucks are adorable. 12 thousand for a dirtbike on slicks, but bitch about a thousand dollar pipe.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well, if we are going to get on that subject, I don't think the dirtbike on slicks should cost 12 thousand, either. Supermoto markup is also hilarious. $7200 for a new DRZ-SM LOL get out of here, stalker.

(Not that my 690 isn't worth every penny and I'm not about to skimp on what I spend on it.)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cursedshitbox posted:

But the drz itself is a pretty lousy performer, tbh.

Yeah except the mrd pipe really makes a difference, much more so than the akra. The yosh pipe, the Leo Vince all of them vastly outperform the akra

Which means they didn't do their homework

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd guess there is a little bit of a difference in dB ;) I know the MRD and Yosh Ti make ears bleed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wonder what an exhaust would sound like if you made it out of instrument bronze, like a cymbal or a saxophone.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://youtube.com/watch?v=J187Pw6UkCM

Wonder no more.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Do you mean, brass? ...Wouldn't it melt?

Do they make instruments out of bronze??

Now someone's gotta put a trumpet slip-on video on youtube. Preferably with auxiliary pneumatically-actuated valving so you get trumpet trills at anything above 7K RPM.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

Do you mean, brass? ...Wouldn't it melt?

Do they make instruments out of bronze??

Now someone's gotta put a trumpet slip-on video on youtube. Preferably with auxiliary pneumatically-actuated valving so you get trumpet trills at anything above 7K RPM.

How hot do you think exhausts get? :confused:

No, I meant bronze, since it's used in things like bells for its wonderful ringing resonance. But brass would probably be neat too. There's a lot of metallurgical overlap between alloys classified as "brass" and ones classified as "bronze" these days anyway.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Coydog posted:

What is wrong with people.
I ask myself this pretty much every time I go on a ride and watch other people being complete retards in traffic.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

BlackMK4 posted:

That piece of bent pipe (header tubes and merge collector) is where the majority of the money spend developing a proper exhaust goes and where the power is made.

Honest question -- why is this? Is it just that the headers represent the most 'restriction' on a system that would otherwise just have a slip on?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Fishvilla posted:

Honest question -- why is this? Is it just that the headers represent the most 'restriction' on a system that would otherwise just have a slip on?

I don't know all of the science and engineering behind it, just the tip of the iceberg.

There are formulas that take into account cam duration, header tube length, collector design, number of valves, etc that allow you to use the vacuum pulses generated by the exhaust gasses for an individual firing event to pull more air through the cylinder if you time them right through your header design. This allows more air/fuel to occupy the combustion chamber... and make more power because of it, though it's possible to 'overscavenge'. The merge collectors are designed to smooth the transition from the individual header tubes into the main pipe and maintain exhaust velocity.

Maybe someone else has a really good explanation.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
You also need a certain amount of backpressure in the pipes for scavenging to work well, having too large of a pipe will actually rob low and midrange power without necessarily giving more power at the top end (you need the right cams, tuning, and intake work to take advantage of a very large increase in exhaust flow at the top end).

Basically if you do it wrong, you'll reduce your power output over a large rpm range with no corresponding boost at the top end. But it'll probably be louder than stock.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Those explanations make perfect sense. Thanks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't know all of the science and engineering behind it, just the tip of the iceberg.

There are formulas that take into account cam duration, header tube length, collector design, number of valves, etc that allow you to use the vacuum pulses generated by the exhaust gasses for an individual firing event to pull more air through the cylinder if you time them right through your header design. This allows more air/fuel to occupy the combustion chamber... and make more power because of it, though it's possible to 'overscavenge'. The merge collectors are designed to smooth the transition from the individual header tubes into the main pipe and maintain exhaust velocity.

Maybe someone else has a really good explanation.

FWIW in motogp (and presumably other classes) there are header length shenanigans wherein they change the length of the headers to try and move the torque curve around a little bit for different tracks. I imagine chaz davies' bike having a totally different exhaust to the usual panigale setup, and shakey byrne's bike having a 999 type setup, also have something to do with this.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Also the collector matters a lot - tuning relies on consistency in how the exhaust pulse travels through the exhaust, and if you have rough edges or odd shapes in the collectors, it creates turbulence that has an unpredictable effect on the exhaust pulses (or an inconsistent one, at least), and that means it's more difficult to tune out properly. Also, the length of the collector, the step down size, etc, all affect things as well, as that's where the individual power pulses start to interact with each other.

Exhaust tuning is complicated.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
And that's not even talking about 2-strokes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Also the collector matters a lot - tuning relies on consistency in how the exhaust pulse travels through the exhaust, and if you have rough edges or odd shapes in the collectors, it creates turbulence that has an unpredictable effect on the exhaust pulses (or an inconsistent one, at least), and that means it's more difficult to tune out properly. Also, the length of the collector, the step down size, etc, all affect things as well, as that's where the individual power pulses start to interact with each other.

Exhaust tuning is complicated.

There's a very simple solution: zoomies on everything.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Old chain on xr650r was knackered, so I bought premium renthal one and a link remover to get it to size.

Any advice? Can I cock up really badly? Never done it before.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Nah, it's super easy. Not sure if your tool is just a link remover, or if it is a remover and a press. I'd spring for a good chain tool, if not, as it makes the job a breeze and you less likely to mess it up.

I hate buying specialized tools, but this one has been worth every penny:
https://www.amazon.com/RK-UCT-4060-...ycle+chain+tool

Otherwise, just make sure not to press the link too tight when you are connecting it together, and allow it free movement. You don't want a binding link from the get go. If your chain is a clip master link type, go buy a backup master link right now and put it in your bike's tool kit. It's nice to have, and only costs a few bucks.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I never bother with the link removers, not worth the time. I just use a dremel or similar cut off tool but measure/count links atleast twice before you cut. Though it's hard to make a mistake if you're not changing sprocket sizes and have the old chain avaliable. When you rivet it just measure a normal link with a caliper and get the joining link to be the same width near both pins.

(you can use the cutting tool opportunity to make a hipster grinding video shot)

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Thanks, I think I just bought a breaker. It's the crimping stage at the end I'm over thinking.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
We don't all work on bikes within range of a power outlet, so some wireless tech like a chain tool is worth it's weight in gold.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah but just go for the harbor freight chain tool, it's cheap and it works

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
So I've been getting bike fever over the past few weeks to the point where I think I'm probably going to actually go through with it. I really like the look of Triumph Bonnevilles but looking on Craigslist I'm not sure I wanna drop that much on a starter bike. What are some similar bikes I should be looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Don't buy the bike you have bike fever over for your first bike, sorry. If that was a wise move, there would be one less ducati superbike in the world. If ptwin standards are your thing, check out the GS 500. You'll hate a bonnie for your first bike, because it's so fat and heavy and subpar.

Trust me, riding a bike, any bike, will make you feel exactly the way you feel about *insert dreambike* right now.