Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Frankly, though, I'd love the context of that O'Keefe video. On the surface, the things he has people saying are extremely damning--bird-dogging and astroturfing all over the place--but without context it's impossible to know what they're actually admitting to (and why the hell they'd just tell some random jackass these things). What questions are they responding to? What has been the thrust of the conversation so far?

All of those things were extremely important and entirely changed the meaning of the Planned Parenthood video, so I'd love to see them here.

What always baffles me about these O'Keefe videos is that I find it incredibly hard to believe that these high-up, "corrupt" officials would just spill their guts this easily. It makes me extremely skeptical of anything "revealed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I do like the implication that wikileaks is trying to put out that the release of the transcripts of speeches Hillary gave that mirrored the positions that she reflect common sentiment was the impetus for the US to tell the Ecuadorian embassy that this was this and they had to shut him down for good.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Thank you kind goon

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

a foolish pianist posted:

Some small, super freaky number of them, and we've got zero indication that Snowden holds anything like those values.

Seriously, people on this forum are huge assholes about Snowden.

I mean he apparently thinks it's a moral obligation for the people who have been putting up with wanted rapist julian assange for the past six years to pay for his internet access.

Is he similarly concerned about the right to broadcast of other wanted rapists or just noted bellend julian assange?

I'm not particularly inclined to be very charitable to him, is what I'm saying.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The situation the Ecuadorean government is in is pretty difficult if you think about it.

They are harboring Assange and giving him asylum. He is using that hospitality to act as an agent directly attempting to interfere in the U.S. election. Not only that, his actions are all intended to damage and harm the side that is actually going to win and assume power. Ecuador could be seen as facilitating this through their assistance of Assange, and, whether they care about it or not, puts them on the outs with the incoming U.S. administration, all because of helping Assange.

Does Assange every physically leave the embassy or is he inside 24/7?

I'm interested in the logistics of this. I'm assuming Assange can have an income derived through online contributions to Wikileaks (as well as from his Russian sponsors LOL). So does he pay any room and board to Ecuador, and pay for things like phone service?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zwabu posted:

The situation the Ecuadorean government is in is pretty difficult if you think about it.

They are harboring Assange and giving him asylum. He is using that hospitality to act as an agent directly attempting to interfere in the U.S. election. Not only that, his actions are all intended to damage and harm the side that is actually going to win and assume power. Ecuador could be seen as facilitating this through their assistance of Assange, and, whether they care about it or not, puts them on the outs with the incoming U.S. administration, all because of helping Assange.

He hasn't left since he went in.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dork457 posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/17/politics/melania-trump-interview/index.html

Nice that they got right out in front of this one in time. :thumbsup:

*a :laffo: emoticon chain extending into table-breaking infinity*

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, I'm not asking him to speak for minority communities. He's an old white guy. I'm asking him to respond to "what about racism?" with "yup that's important too worry about that and we need to fix it." He doesn't need to go on long policy screeds about how to fix racism, he just shouldn't dismiss it off-hand if asked. Not if he wants to be the symbol of the American Left.

Actually the question asked was "do you see racism as a byproduct of [class]," which is extremely less open to a "yup that's important" answer than the way you framed it above. (arguably it's as close to a "gotcha" question as you could ask Sanders)

I would encourage the thread to move on from this, though, because it's not going to be a productive discussion and relitigating Bernie-on-race for the 1000th time is really tedious

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zwabu posted:

if he leaves he could be arrested for extradition but there stopped being a visible police presence outside the embassy a while ago so who knows if he's imprisoned himself or what

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

OwlFancier posted:

Oddly from my perspective the democrats are far more concerned with social issues than economic ones, because both parties are parties of money.

Coming from a country which has had an actual labour movement within living memory, America under the democrats spends far more effort on social issues than it does on economic ones.

The United States had strong labor movements throughout its history. They were undermined and defeated in large part because they excluded POC and white working class people were led to believe that they should give up their union heritage to spite black people. That's part of why we need to address racism to address classism. The labor movement in America won't work until it includes all working people, not just white working people.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Sure but the question wasn't "do you think racism is bad an also a problem in America?"

And he isn't going to be the symbol of the American Left. He's just a guy who talked and people listened.

Maybe not to us. But he is the symbol of the Left to an entire generation of young Americans becoming active in politics right now and he should be emphasizing that they need to stand with POC and women as much as they do with poor white peoples. It's not about what the question is, it's about the answer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

The United States had strong labor movements throughout its history. They were undermined and defeated in large part because they excluded POC and white working class people were led to believe that they should give up their union heritage to spite black people. That's part of why we need to address racism to address classism. The labor movement in America won't work until it includes all working people, not just white working people.

I concur, though I would suggest that that is a problem of labour's own organization, there's nothing stopping the democratic party from attempting more forceful efforts to promote economic equality, they mostly seem simply disinclined to.

Essentially the democratic party isn't very economically egalitarian, it isn't a labour movement and I don't really think it has much desire to be one under most leaderships, so Sanders being economically focused could be an improvement for the party.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Anyone have a good spot where I can look up a lot of the people on my early ballot? It's for Pima county AZ.

You should have gotten a thing in the mail with info on all the candidates.

If you know your Legislative District or Precinct, I can probably get more detailed information to you.

Is there any race in particular you're interested in?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Spiffster posted:

Had a friend say if Assange gets arrested he's going to the streets to protest... You care that much about a child diddler?!

Did i mention he is fully backing Stein and his mantra is "if everyone votes for her she wins" :hurr:
:sever:

Lightning Knight posted:

Maybe not to us. But he is the symbol of the Left to an entire generation of young Americans becoming active in politics right now and he should be emphasizing that they need to stand with POC and women as much as they do with poor white peoples. It's not about what the question is, it's about the answer.

Good then that fight for fifteen is working with BLM.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

OwlFancier posted:

I mean he apparently thinks it's a moral obligation for the people who have been putting up with wanted rapist julian assange for the past six years to pay for his internet access.

Is he similarly concerned about the right to broadcast of other wanted rapists or just noted bellend julian assange?

I'm not particularly inclined to be very charitable to him, is what I'm saying.

Defending anti-censorship advocates and whistleblowers should not be nearly as controversial a position as it is. And he wasn't even defending Assange with that tweet.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Dork457 posted:

Not the first time a Bush was led into doing something without fully thinking it through.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Dork457 posted:

1) I'm not a conversationalist black belt or anything, but from the tape it hardly sounds at all like he was prompted much less "egged on" to bring up his infidelities and MO for sexual assault

2) If we go with the counterfactual that she is 100% correct, how does it not make him look even less suited for the office if he's got such a loose control over what people can get him to talk about openly?

3) It is super depressing on every level to realize that this is a woman putting forth an effort to brush this off as 'boy talk', when said contents of boy talk includes--among worse things--her husband crassly boasting about his attempts to cheat on her with another married woman.

I'm definitely developing empathy for the women in his life, and I'm not sure if it's deserved or if I need to drink until that feeling fades into the background. I still haven't looking in to why Tiffany is a black sheep because I'm sure it will bum the gently caress out of me.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 17, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure I would describe Julian Assange as an "anti censorship advocate" and "whistleblower".

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Defending anti-censorship advocates and whistleblowers should not be nearly as controversial a position as it is. And he wasn't even defending Assange with that tweet.

Problem being that Assange has been caught red handed censoring stories he didn't like and then threatening people who exposed his bullshit.

The only thing Julian Assange advocates for is Julian Assange.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Working with the Kremlin makes you the opposite of whatever a whistleblower is supposed to be

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure I would describe Julian Assange as an "anti censorship advocate" and "whistleblower".

"elevated failson"

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

straight up brolic posted:

Working with the Kremlin makes you the opposite of whatever a whistleblower is supposed to be

whistlesucker?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Mohamedou Ould Slahi, the author of Guantanamo Diary, was freed to Mauritania recently https://news.vice.com/story/guantanamo-diary-author-is-free-after-14-years-of-captivity?cl=fp

There are still sixty people in Guantanamo, so we can expect another game of GOP concern trolling about their release in the next 12 months, I bet

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The technical term for Julian Assange is "rear end in a top hat".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bhaal posted:

I still haven't looking in to why Tiffany is a black sheep because I'm sure it will bum the gently caress out of me.
I believe Tiffany is the one Trump wanted to have aborted.

Kind of surprised that one isn't more prominent, but, you know, SCOTUS seat.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

boner confessor posted:

if he leaves he could be arrested for extradition but there stopped being a visible police presence outside the embassy a while ago so who knows if he's imprisoned himself or what

No he couldn't.

The US has never charged or questioned Sweden or the UK about Assange. All of this is public record, we can look this up.

Without having charged him/asked about the possibility of extradition, Assange is perfectly safe outside of the embassy. Sweden wants to talk to him about his rape charges ( where he pulled the condom off while having sex with a few women, and then claimed it wasn't rape because the sex was initially consensual and he "needs to spread his seed as he is a genius.". ), but the worst case scenario for him right now legally is he gets sent to Sweden and sent to Swedish prison for a few months.

The grooming changes this, but up until that point the only threat Assange faced was his own paranoid delusions of how boogeymen would kidnap him and take him to Gitmo despite his public persona/how utterly illegal that is.

Realize, he lived happily outside the Embassy for several months/years after the Iraq/NSA leaks that caused the US to "want to kill him". It wasn't until Sweden wanted to talk to him about the rape charges did he flee to the Embassy.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Early Ballot done. Hopefully AZ will flip blue.

I voted for Hillary, KirkPatrick over McCain, legal weed, and a higher minimum wage.

:feelsgood:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dick Trauma posted:

Is there anything to stop the GOP from blocking additional appointments if other justices retire or die? Could they just let the Supreme Court empty out?

At this point I can't see anything that will bring the right out of their death spiral. They've fed for so long on obstructionism and propaganda that they can't stop. They've groomed their base to expect nothing but hate hate hate and are too afraid that anything else will lose what support they still have. Without an outstanding leader emerging on the right they can only move more and more toward extremism.

The President can recess appoint to the SCOTUS, but it's not permanent for whatever reason. So in theory you'd have a Democrat doing yearly recess appointments for the SCOTUS until one side gave in or controlled the WH and Senate. Or Killary Klinton becomes a reality and starts having GOPers killed.

A Winner is Jew posted:

6 years since there is only 4 years left on the rape charge that has a 10 year statue of limitations.

That isn't how statutes of limitation work though? The women didn't wait 10+ years to make their claims.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Rookersh posted:

No he couldn't.

The US has never charged or questioned Sweden or the UK about Assange. All of this is public record, we can look this up.

Without having charged him/asked about the possibility of extradition, Assange is perfectly safe outside of the embassy. Sweden wants to talk to him about his rape charges ( where he pulled the condom off while having sex with a few women, and then claimed it wasn't rape because the sex was initially consensual and he "needs to spread his seed as he is a genius.". ), but the worst case scenario for him right now legally is he gets sent to Sweden and sent to Swedish prison for a few months.

The grooming changes this, but up until that point the only threat Assange faced was his own paranoid delusions of how boogeymen would kidnap him and take him to Gitmo despite his public persona/how utterly illegal that is.

Realize, he lived happily outside the Embassy for several months/years after the Iraq/NSA leaks that caused the US to "want to kill him". It wasn't until Sweden wanted to talk to him about the rape charges did he flee to the Embassy.

Didn't he also want an assurance from the Swedish govt that they wouldn't ever extradite him to the US for any reason, and they couldn't give him that assurance because the US didn't want him for anything?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

That isn't how statutes of limitation work though? The women didn't wait 10+ years to make their claims.

The charges are from Sweden, and the rape law he's fleeing requires the Swedish government to bring a case against him within 10 years or they can't.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Didn't he also want an assurance from the Swedish govt that they wouldn't ever extradite him to the US for any reason, and they couldn't give him that assurance because the US didn't want him for anything?

Yes.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

Perhaps, but it runs deeper than wealth. You could make every black person in America wealthy and they would still be hated in a unique and insidious manner by white people that is independent of their socioeconomic status.

Perhaps so, but that would t matter. Because black people, having an equall share of the wealth, would be handing out an equal share of the jobs, marriages,, inheritances, local taxes, donations, etc. Implicit and structural bias would't matter, because they would cancel out. You probably would need to keep existing laws against blatant discrimination, violence and so on. But no one would need to be any less racist.

Note that the other way round isn't true; if personal racism/bias somehow dropped to zero, then in-family inheritance of wealth from explicitly racist eras would take literally thousands of years to stop being visible in class sorting. Which
means that if you have an economic class of people the police consider it their duty to shoot, the bullet holes will be in black flesh.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I don't think there is anything the US could charge him with even if they wanted to. If he was a United States Citizen he could be in a lot of trouble, but he's a foreign national who did stuff that annoyed the US in a foreign land. If you want to be paranoid about a CIA hit or something fine, but he's not going to be extradited to the US.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Early Ballot done. Hopefully AZ will flip blue.

I voted for Hillary, KirkPatrick over McCain, legal weed, and a higher minimum wage.

:feelsgood:

Don't forget the downticket races. They're super important.

The Corporation Commission is a big one, only vote for two even though you can pick three.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bhaal posted:

1) I'm not a conversationalist black belt or anything, but from the tape it hardly sounds at all like he was prompted much less "egged on" to bring up his infidelities and MO for sexual assault

2) If we go with the counterfactual that she is 100% correct, how does it not make him look even less suited for the office if he's got such a loose control over what people can get him to talk about openly?

3) It is super depressing on every level to realize that this is a woman putting forth an effort to brush this off as 'boy talk', when said contents of boy talk includes--among worse things--her husband crassly boasting about his attempts to cheat on her with another married woman.

I'm definitely developing empathy for the women in his life, and I'm not sure if it's deserved or if I need to drink until that feeling fades into the background. I still haven't looking in to why Tiffany is a black sheep because I'm sure it will bum the gently caress out of me.

For even just one million dollars I would testify on national television with a straight face that Donald Trump is Literally Jesus and will only bring about heaven on earth if we elect him and provide him with a daily sacrifice of ten nubile teenage virgins.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Northjayhawk posted:

I don't think there is anything the US could charge him with even if they wanted to. If he was a United States Citizen he could be in a lot of trouble, but he's a foreign national who did stuff that annoyed the US in a foreign land. If you want to be paranoid about a CIA hit or something fine, but he's not going to be extradited to the US.

Exactly.

All he did was publish classified data that he personally didn't steal and there is zero evidence he stole it.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Rookersh posted:

What grooming? Something substantial, please. An official comment from the royal bahamas police force would do. Or a 'no-comment' from them, in response to an actual journalist attempting to get them on the record. Thanks.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Don't forget the downticket races. They're super important.

The Corporation Commission is a big one, only vote for two even though you can pick three.

Don't worry, I'm on it. Planned Parenthood's site is really helpful for some of the ballot research as well.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rookersh posted:

No he couldn't.

I thought the worst thing he had up to this point was that he jumped bail to hide in the embassy and so when he leaves he's gonna do some British jail time regardless of the rape case.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Some small, super freaky number of them, and we've got zero indication that Snowden holds anything like those values.

Seriously, people on this forum are huge assholes about Snowden.

Why would anyone be mean to a guy who disclosed a ton of US secrets and then fled to safety in Russia? What did he ever do?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

radmonger posted:

Perhaps so, but that would t matter. Because black people, having an equall share of the wealth, would be handing out an equal share of the jobs, marriages,, inheritances, local taxes, donations, etc. Implicit and structural bias would't matter, because they would cancel out. You probably would need to keep existing laws against blatant discrimination, violence and so on. But no one would need to be any less racist.

Note that the other way round isn't true; if personal racism/bias somehow dropped to zero, then in-family inheritance of wealth from explicitly racist eras would take literally thousands of years to stop being visible in class sorting. Which
means that if you have an economic class of people the police consider it their duty to shoot, the bullet holes will be in black flesh.

I'm not sure I'm parsing what you mean here. Are you making a "rising tide floats all boats" argument? Or just an observation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why would anyone be mean to a guy who disclosed a ton of US secrets and then fled to safety
What's your answer to your question?

• Locked thread