Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Lurdiak posted:

Has anyone made a good joke about how Uncharted sort of has the word shart in it? I feel like there's potential there.

Ok what is your beef with Naughty Dog dude.

Like I noticed anytime ND is brought up you say something negative about them. Like yeah I get Uncharted is not everyone's cup of tea, but I know it's more than Uncharted with you.

Just curiosity. No malice, no HURR you are a hater.

edit: I know you are probably in the industry just like me so it's like ok there's gotta be more. :v:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Shindragon posted:

Like I noticed anytime ND is brought up you say something negative about them. Like yeah I get Uncharted is not everyone's cup of tea, but I know it's more than Uncharted with you.

edit: I know you are probably in the industry just like me so it's like ok there's gotta be more. :v:

I don't know how you narrow something like this down.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

codenameFANGIO posted:

I don't know how you narrow something like this down.

What do you mean? Lurdraik tends to have reasons for hating or not liking something because of they were a bad person or something. Well most of the time.

I can't think of anything ND did but I could be wrong.

edit: Also I give him more credit than most SA goons who hate games. :v:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 18, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Has anyone made a good joke about how Uncharted sort of has the word shart in it? I feel like there's potential there.

BumSharted Whore: A Queef's (rear)End

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

discount cathouse posted:

does anyone know if pro upgrades will improve framerates or something. I'm fine with plain old HD resolution if i could play bloodbourne etc with stable fps.

Yes but only for games that get a patch. New Tomb Raider for example will have a setting on the Pro that keeps the old resolution but runs at 60fps. If we're getting a Bloodborne patch it hasn't been announced yet and I'm not gonna hold my breath

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shindragon posted:

I just think Naughty Dog's particular mix of story and gameplay has maximum tedium compared to something like a more traditional AAA game or a Telltale/'walking sim' adventure game. It's essentially story-driven games with a lot of long, linear, unengaging gameplay in between the parts the developers actually care about (the story), which is also very linear and lacks agency. It's the worst of both worlds, basically, and I think their writing isn't very good either, and extremely manipulative in a way that'd make latter day Spielberg blush. They cover up their design and writing shortcomings with cutting edge graphics and top of the line voice acting, just like David Cage.

Like you said, I'm in the industry, specifically an indie dev and freelance writer, so these particular flaws stick out to me. I don't think they're the worst games ever or anything, but they're so beloved that people tend to react pretty aggressively when I clown on them.

But in this particular case I just wanted to point out the game's title sounds like shart, because I'm five.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

turdiak

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

:saddowns:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

like turok

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

lurdrake's misfortune

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lurdiak posted:

I just think Naughty Dog's particular mix of story and gameplay has maximum tedium compared to something like a more traditional AAA game or a Telltale/'walking sim' adventure game. It's essentially story-driven games with a lot of long, linear, unengaging gameplay in between the parts the developers actually care about (the story), which is also very linear and lacks agency. It's the worst of both worlds, basically, and I think their writing isn't very good either, and extremely manipulative in a way that'd make latter day Spielberg blush. They cover up their design and writing shortcomings with cutting edge graphics and top of the line voice acting, just like David Cage.

Like you said, I'm in the industry, specifically an indie dev and freelance writer, so these particular flaws stick out to me. I don't think they're the worst games ever or anything, but they're so beloved that people tend to react pretty aggressively when I clown on them.

But in this particular case I just wanted to point out the game's title sounds like shart, because I'm five.

I haven't played any Uncharted games but based on The Last of Us I'd agree with this analysis.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jak & Lurdiak.

Jake and Drake

Bandicoot vs. ol coot

The Last Unread Post of Us.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I agree with Lurdiak but I'll always have a very soft spot for the first Uncharted. It was the one with the most arcade-like gameplay and had the potential to be a great light-hearted cover shooter franchise that focused on verticality and quick movement. Too bad ND decided to go the cinematic AAA game route after it. One of the reasons I barely bother replaying U2-3 is because of the absurdly slow intro chapters and all the walking sequences amongst the shooting. The less said about Uncharted 4 the better.

discount cathouse posted:

does anyone know if pro upgrades will improve framerates or something. I'm fine with plain old HD resolution if i could play bloodbourne etc with stable fps.

Sony has said online games won't get any Pro patches because it'd give Pro players an advantage, so it's not going to happen since the Bloodsouls franchise relies pretty heavily on its online social aspect.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lurdiak posted:

The only Uncharted game I'd agree with you on that with is Uncharted 4. That game very vastly overvalues the climbing and very much undervalues the shooting, and while imo the story is great, it can't carry it for its whole runtime because of how dang padded the whole game is.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 18, 2016

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

GUI posted:

Sony has said online games won't get any Pro patches because it'd give Pro players an advantage, so it's not going to happen since the Bloodsouls franchise relies pretty heavily on its online social aspect.

Well, thats it, im getting a ps4 slim when there's 3 good exclusives then. So far i have bloodborne and persona 5 on my list.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
If you like Souls games you will probably like Nioh a lot .... the combat and exploration in the beta was awesome. That'll be an early 2017 release too though

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Lurdiak is my best friend and i think they are very brave for posting their bad opinions everywhere.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I like Lurdiak but I like Uncharted 2 better. It was a very fun video game and really unexpected treat since I didn't play it until the PS4 trilogy re-release.

To Jay Rust's PS4 games question, here are the PS4 games I have played a ton of and continue to play even though I also have a very nice gaming PC and a WiiU and Vita and a 3DS because I have too much disposable income:
Bloodborne
Dragon Quest Builders
The Last of Us
Uncharted Trilogy
Call of Duty whatever this year's version is: Multiplayer (it's on PC and bone but the best player pop is on PS4, and yes I know I'm a trash person for playing COD)

Things I'm looking forward to:
Persona 5
Until Dawn (Halloween playthrough)
World of Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy 15
Horizon: Zero Dawn

I also play a lot of little indie titles on PS4 just for convenience and because they might be free on PS+ but there aren't any indie exclusives I can think of and that's not why you get a console when you already have a PC.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Everyone is my friend, because why not?

World of Final Fantasy demo didn't do a lot for me, but that's okay because we have so many games and many more coming soon :sweatdrop:

Probably gonna play a lot of Dragon Quest 7 tonight, my wife works super late today so I'll be binge-watching some television, smoking some dank nugz, and laying in bed with our 3DS and a really drat big cuppa coffee

It's the little things :)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

GUI posted:

This has also been contradicted a few times, and the actual policy seems more in line with "no exclusive modes, no exclusive online benefits".

They may be talking about performance in terms of network parity and not framerate, though we really won't know for sure until the thing's out.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

Lurdiak posted:

The only Naughty Dog game I've played is The Last of Us, but I have to say I agree with everything you're saying. The story is just a flimsy excuse to string together a series of predictable subplots. It feels like the writers were trying to cram as many "feels" into the game as possible, rather than telling an interesting story. I also really, really didn't like Joel. Late game spoilers: When you have to put a child-raping cannibal in a game to avoid having your main character look like the villain you're going a bit too far I think.

In other news, I just got the achievement for completing a song in brutal mode in Rock Band 4. While I was playing Dark Souls. I'm very good at Rock Band.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

If you don't like metal, you are not my friend.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Lurdiak posted:

Thanks for answering me dude. Yeah no i can't blame you if you think of UC or any of their games that way.

I did like UC4 with at least sorta letting you either go guns blazing or stealth. Even though there are some sections where it's pretty much yeah no stealth option.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 18, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I received a cash injection from my wonderful grandparents for my birthday, and I thought to myself, "Now I can finally buy a Bloodborne machine!"

But let's be serious: is that game really worth $400? Could someone name, say, three other PS4 exclusives that might give me more confidence in this purchase?

I bought a PS4 two years ago and even then it wasn't 400 dollars but even if it was, yes bloodborne is worth it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

I received a cash injection from my wonderful grandparents for my birthday, and I thought to myself, "Now I can finally buy a Bloodborne machine!"

But let's be serious: is that game really worth $400? Could someone name, say, three other PS4 exclusives that might give me more confidence in this purchase?

you could buy digimon cyber sleuth i guess

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

100 Ft. Robot Golf?

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

goferchan posted:

If you like Souls games you will probably like Nioh a lot .... the combat and exploration in the beta was awesome. That'll be an early 2017 release too though

nvm battle garegga m2 port will be out in december. thats my 3rd game. so ill be joining the ps4 fun club early next spring.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rez Infinite, King of Fighters XIV and Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I built a giant robot and now I'm going to kill VR gaming with my new Mecha Gaming, ama

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hey corn in the bible: do I need to hang on to medals for any specific reason, or should I just sell 'em?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Crash 2 was Naughty Dog's best game

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I think there's a Hot Shots Golf coming out for PS4. I bet that'll be good.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Joel is a really good character but the Last of Us would've worked much better as an HBO miniseries without any bland gameplay and ideally without as much overt emotional manipulation

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
There's a haunted mansion level in Color Splash and the concierge toad turns to you for help after telling you he tried to call Luigi since this is really more his thing, but all his calls went straight to voicemail

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd argue that The Last of Us is one of the better-written games to come out recently. It's manipulative but it's one of the few games I can think of that has actual coherent themes, arcs and execution of those and has enough depth that you can actually discuss character motivations without going (X) IS THE GOOD GUY.

That isn't high praise for writing in general but that still puts it above 90% of most games on the market. Video games through their very nature generally fail at most basic writing elements unless they are so scripted nothing can break (and usually they fail even there.) Even most of the really good story-driven games I can think of are good because they offer freedom and flexibility but in doing so they usually end up being empty and incoherent because they can't actually address anything or develop coherent arcs.

I'd be genuinely curious to hear what the better-written games are if TLOU is so terrible.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
It is a very well-written game! And the vocal delivery of that writing is phenomenal! But like I'm not into the pacing problems inherent in a survival game where you have to slowly scrounge around environments for supplies after an urgent cutscene

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

goferchan posted:

Yes but only for games that get a patch.

true but it remains to be seen what will happen when a game that bottlenecks on the ps4's terrible cpu gets the extra overclocked power of the pro and the gpu boost as well might impact other games. its all case by case though.

the unpatched games won't be looking for the extra power or anything but the tiny boost on xb1s improved several games' ability to stick closer to target fps, so its possible that in situations where bloodborne is chugging the chugging is less intense on pro

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I'd be genuinely curious to hear what the better-written games are if TLOU is so terrible.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I was honestly hoping for a real answer. You mentioned you're a dev and a freelance writer so I was wondering what your gold standard was. I wasn't looking for a "gotcha" thing, I just wondered where you were coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also when I say emotional manipulation, I'm mostly thinking of the introduction with Sarah and the end of the DLC when Riley and Ellie reconcile

• Locked thread