Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

expensive video carb posted:

Could somebody unpack this please? I know this is the guy who suicided by plane over the alps, but what TV-Experiment is being referenced here, and what does it mean to freisprech him?

Last Sunday they had a tv show with a hypothetical trial where the viewers could decide guilty or not guilty by online/phone vote.

Situation: Plane with 164 ppl is hijacked by terrorists who want to crash it into a full stadium of 70k. Pilot shoots it down.

Decision: Is the pilot guilty or not guilty. Viewers decided not guilty and then the usual suspects where on tv demanding lay judges to be abolished because people shouldn't be allowed bla bla bla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Could somebody unpack this please? I know this is the guy who suicided by plane over the alps, but what TV-Experiment is being referenced here, and what does it mean to freisprech him?
If you see "Titanic" you can think "Onion" and expect bullshit that tries to make a joke somehow.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

On Monday the ARD aired a movie adaptation of Ferdinand von Schirach's theatre play "Terror", which is about the trial of a Bundeswehr pilot who shot down a hijacked plane that was steering towards a football stadium, potentially killing tens of thousands. The play's twist is that at the end the audience get to decide whether he gets to walk free (the lives of those in the stadium outweigh the lives of the people aboard the plane) or is pronounced guilty (shooting down a plane full of people is murder, whether it may possibly be morally justified or not). Normally the theatre audiences vote like 60-40 innocent, so that the TV version evoked such a clear judgement is somethign of a surprise. I didn't especially care a lot about it tbf, I thought it was way too on the nose. Maybe the actual play is different, I dunno.

e: beaten harder than the guys on the plane

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The only outrageous part of that is afterwards people were saying the judgement was all wrong and that is a reason lay judges should not exist and bla bla.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
I see. Much obliged. Didn't even notice the Titanic watermark!

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The play has a higher rate of conviction, because the demographics of the respective audience is vastly different. Oh and Florian David Fitz (the pilot in the movie) is just sooooo dreamy, cute while still being arrogant. I kinda want a TV show about him as a combat pilot, he was great as arrogant doctor in Doctor's Diary.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

"Refugees welcome, but please not in our Club" - Linksautonome

https://www.conne-island.de/news/191.html
You lie constantly, and this is no exception. gently caress off.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This is a very good article on the various problems with the Terror adaptation, which I'm not going to attempt to sum up because it's too complex to condense into a soundbite and stay accurate. A practice conductive to discussion.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

You lie constantly, and this is no exception. gently caress off.

Would've ignored that post if you hadn't called it out, but holy poo poo GC, even if the author of that article perpetrated straight-up rape no the german language there, that's no reason to counter it with complete lies.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Conne Island calling the cops is pretty loving funny though.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Here is a Spiegel article detailing the Conne Island situation in a readable format because holy poo poo, that original wall of text

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I thought the BVerfG had already ruled that the pilot in this situation would be faced with such an ethical dilemma that he couldn't be prosecuted no matter which way he decides (Übergesetzlicher Notstand). The state simply can't make a law requiring him to shoot because that would very obviously violate Art. 1 GG.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Remember the Georgia court protocol where "suck my dick, fuckman" comes from?

This is the Austrian equivalent

quote:

Nachdem er auf der Anklagebank Platz genommen hat, stellt er im Gespräch mit [Richterin] Zöllner einen biografischen Zufall fest. "Haben Sie einen Vater, der Richter war?", will er wissen. "Ja", lautet die Antwort. "Des woar mei Erster", erinnert A. sich

:allears:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Riso posted:

The only outrageous part of that is afterwards people were saying the judgement was all wrong and that is a reason lay judges should not exist and bla bla.

Wenn Handelsrichter als Laienrichter zählen, dann bin ich mit der Forderung d'accord.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Randler posted:

Wenn Handelsrichter als Laienrichter zählen, dann bin ich mit der Forderung d'accord.

Sorry, das sind Profis die mit schlechten deutschen Gesetzen arbeiten.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Riso posted:

Sorry, das sind Profis die mit schlechten deutschen Gesetzen arbeiten.

Das sind "ehrliche Kaufleute", denen darf man das Recht nicht anvertrauen!

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
http://www.zeit.de/wirtschaft/2016-10/sigmar-gabriel-autobahn-privatisierung-taeuschung

:cryingautobahn:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Gabriel raus!!!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

wet hat uns verraten?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

GaussianCopula posted:

"Refugees welcome, but please not in our Club" - Linksautonome

https://www.conne-island.de/news/191.html

you still can't read

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Just found this awesome guy on Twitter:

I have no idea what “SchleFaZer“ is, but I'm pretty sure it's something really stupid

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

System Metternich posted:

I have no idea what “SchleFaZer“ is, but I'm pretty sure it's something really stupid

:swoon:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

System Metternich posted:

SchleFaZ is that "Schlechteste Filme aller Zeiten" thing on Tele5, isn't it.

The Bill Mitchell retweet is pro as gently caress.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Hey Germany discussion thread. Can one of you explain to me why we have such a completely different relationship with credit cards compared to other western nations? I never really thought about it before, but it seems kinda weird. It never really bothered me either, since most online shops have simple alternatives, but SA doesn't. It took me years of lurking before I had a chance to buy an account.

Crossposting from another thread:

cant cook creole bream posted:

My country might be especially backwards then. Most debit cards are based on the mastercard subsidiary Maestro.
In order to get a visa or masercard, you can either get one at a bank, (which is kinda pointless since they are less useful than debit cards around here and have additional fees.) Or you can buy a prepaid credit card, which is basically an expensive gift certificate.

Credit cards are quiet rare around here. And their only real use is international travel.
On average an American charges $4000 on credit card each year, compared to $158 for a German.
Also most CC seem to work on a "pay everything at the end of the month" system. I never really thought about it that much before, but I guess Germans really don't like debt. :shrug:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hey Germany discussion thread. Can one of you explain to me why we have such a completely different relationship with credit cards compared to other western nations? I never really thought about it before, but it seems kinda weird. It never really bothered me either, since most online shops have simple alternatives, but SA doesn't. It took me years of lurking before I had a chance to buy an account.

A shot in the dark, but could it be that getting a Dispokredit for your debit account is more common here? I'd imagine if you have the opportunity of just overdrawing your regular account in a pinch until the next payday, there'd be less need for a dedicated credit card. :shrug:

az
Dec 2, 2005

Just EC card overdraw, why throw all that money after CC fees if you can do the same with your regular account for less. The only thing you need a cc for is some international purchases and skeevy poo poo.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

usury is verboten in germany soooooooooooooo

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So it's literally just that in every other country credit card corps squeezed in as the middle man, providing unnecessary extra services? I guess it's a good thing we avoided that for some reason.

Incidentally how did you guys get your SA account? Back then I had to buy an overpriced prepaid card which basically got me 17€ for 20€ or some stupid bullshit like that.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

So it's literally just that in every other country credit card corps squeezed in as the middle man, providing unnecessary extra services? I guess it's a good thing we avoided that for some reason.

Incidentally how did you guys get your SA account? Back then I had to buy an overpriced prepaid card which basically got me 17€ for 20€ or some stupid bullshit like that.
My first Girokonto had the option to add a credit card ever since I turned 16 for free or maybe a one-time (small) fee, I don't remember. Decided to get back to them when I was 18 for SA specifically and have been a yearlong go-to buddy for people to buy their Steam games. Kinda owns, actually. I never overcharge it because lol if you go into debt willingly. It's linked to my bank account anyway, so I don't know how overcharging it would even be different than overcharging the bank account. I think as the money to "fill up" the card is withdrawn monthly from the account, I could overcharge it early in a month and pay back later in the month to make sure I never go into debt. Or something. I don't know, I don't need to, I will only ever use this to pay for hotels and poo poo with a secure backing of a full enough bank account behind it.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I opened an international PayPal account (they didn't operate in Germany at the time). It was a hassle. When I got banned and PayPal wasn't an accepted payment method here any more, a friend was kind enough to handle it for me. For some reason, my German credit card wasn't working for this. I've also had troubles using it in hotels internationally.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

wayfinder posted:

For some reason, my German credit card wasn't working for this. I've also had troubles using it in hotels internationally.
Same. My Spardabank Mastercard wasn't accepted in Chicago, my Amazon Visa was.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I got this account gifted by a credit card-having friend for my birthday, and the same friend gave me plat and services for following birthdays. I never owned a credit card, and since steam started to accept online banking I never really needed one, too

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I got a credit card from my Volksbank for the express purpose of buying this account, lol. I tried to get some mileage out of it when I went to Norway a couple of months ago, and while I had to let my bank know in advance that I was going to use my EC card abroad and set a daily limit for it, which I didn't have to do for my credit card, that upside was balanced by the fact that some stores refused to accept my credit card (but did accept my EC card) and that I always had to sign for every single 12€ beer while all the Norwegians just had to enter their PIN in order to receive their overpriced, bad beer. I guess I should cancel my credit card, is what I'm saying.

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
I got a "chargeable" mastercard through my Kreissparkasse. Got it back when I didn't have a regular income, so I can only spend money that I put on it from my account. It's basically a second account now for 15€/a, but I can do credit card poo poo with it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
When I needed a credit card, I just searched around a bit to find a good one and ended up with a Visa card from Barclay. Mostly because they didn't demand a fee and because they were nice enough to send me 400 bucks in advance before I even got my card when I uh needed some emergency money, which was nice. Barclay also gave me about 12x the credit line my old German credit card gave me, so good riddance to German credit cards! British credit cards are the best. Until Brexit happens, that is. :v:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I got my account by sending some games I didn't play anymore to some guy in Britain who had a credit card and bought the account for me in exchange.

These days I have an Ing DiBa and a DKB Visa CC but they're a crapshoot internationally. Sometimes they'll work, sometimes they won't. Oh well.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I joined the invasion of some stupid eGovernment game as a lurker and over the course paypaled some goon money to buy me gift certificates for account, plat and an avatar.

Got a CC from my DKB account now, but I don't know if I had gotten myself one without it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just had a fun experience when I had to stop for fuel at a smaller, non-chain gas station and it turned out they didn't accept credit or even debit cards, and I only had 1/2 of necessary cash. At least ATMs don't shut down on Sundays. They also didn't want to take cards in Ikea, when I stopped by to get some small crap :confused:

On the upside, I did get some old school nazi Fanta the last time:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I like the Nazi Fanta. It is yummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

mobby_6kl posted:

They also didn't want to take cards in Ikea, when I stopped by to get some small crap :confused:

They're accepting CC as of August 2016 now. Also Aldi (Nord, dunno about Aldi Schluchtenscheisser) accepts CC now. :monocle: