Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Agean90 posted:

A fun game beats a 100% accurate one.

Of course. It's just that, personally, I get super :spergin: when it comes to the world wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

Can you tell me more about this? A daylight raid by Zeppelins over the British isles, let alone London, in 1917 sounds suicidal.

See for yourself

https://youtu.be/WayPXwtKx9A?t=2591

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Crazycryodude posted:

Of course. It's just that, personally, I get super :spergin: when it comes to the world wars.

It's fine, I caught myself :spergin: the other night reading Civ VI's Civolopedia.

Seriously though, gently caress that Intern who did that I'll do it for free and actually hunt down the books with the information you need ugh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess I just get kind of grumpy with the battlefield games because to me it seems like there's this steady trend from 1942 onwards where the footage I see just looks progressively more stupid looking, considering the games put so much effort into co-opting real settings and equipment.

Basically I'm a grumpy old videogame man who wants to go back to when we had our lee enfields and our landmines and we had half the team camping the avro lancaster and we loving liked it :colbert:

My heart remains split over whether I should cry or be glad of this however.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

HEY GAL posted:

new mexico's got a madrid

Madrid isnt as fun to say as vurr-sails. :colbert:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Or Indiana's Kay-rho

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I guess I just get kind of grumpy with the battlefield games because to me it seems like there's this steady trend from 1942 onwards where the footage I see just looks progressively more stupid looking, considering the games put so much effort into co-opting real settings and equipment.

Basically I'm a grumpy old videogame man who wants to go back to when we had our lee enfields and our landmines and we had half the team camping the avro lancaster and we loving liked it :colbert:

My heart remains split over whether I should cry or be glad of this however.

I think you are confusing BF1942 with one of the ten thousand realism mods that came out for it. Vanilla BF 1942 had the Prince of Wales defend Midway from Japanese troops carrying Stgw. 44s.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
"realistic" war shooter games lol

at least reenactors do it outside

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I had fun with Red Orchestra, I liked Kurson pocket where our team attacked in waves.

The lack of realism in BF1 at least makes it easier to justify minority and women representation as fighters.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

bewbies posted:

Is that the one where you get exploded by artillery while taking a poo poo?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

bewbies posted:

reenactors do it outside
i want this on a bumpersticker

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Raenir Salazar posted:

The lack of realism in BF1 at least makes it easier to justify minority and women representation as fighters.

Um

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Raenir Salazar posted:

I had fun with Red Orchestra, I liked Kurson pocket where our team attacked in waves.

Red Orchestra was hilarious since if you could get more than one guy into a tank you'd completely dominate. That happened a grand total of once though, almost everyone would get out of the tank and grab a different one if someone else got in.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
lol

nobody tell them about sikhs, gurkhas, and what looks like at least half of the serbian army

edit: or hell, i dunno, maybe the whole thing. my dad, was your country's entire ww1 army women pretending to be men, just hiding this fact from one another

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 22, 2016

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

World War One, remember? More than just white people in a world war. And even minority officers from London too.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'm gonna point out that in the US some black soldiers got lynched for having the temerity to wear US Army uniforms when returning home from the war. You know, their own goddamn uniforms.

Also I'm betting that France leaned on colonial troops as hard in WWI as in WWII, where they literally had to scrounge around and even raid allied units for enough white guys for their parade when they liberated France.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HEY GAL posted:

my dad, was your country's entire ww1 army women pretending to be men, just hiding this fact from one another

57% of Serbia's male population perished inexplicably in the war, and I'm not fully prepared to accept that they drank themselves to death with slivo while waiting for the wimmenfolk to return home, as tempting as that theory sounds. I mean for sure Serbian women are tough, you can drop them 10km without parachute

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

xthetenth posted:

I'm gonna point out that in the US some black soldiers got lynched for having the temerity to wear US Army uniforms when returning home from the war. You know, their own goddamn uniforms.

Also I'm betting that France leaned on colonial troops as hard in WWI as in WWII, where they literally had to scrounge around and even raid allied units for enough white guys for their parade when they liberated France.

And on that subject, gently caress you De Gaulle.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

I mean for sure Serbian women are tough, you can drop them 10km without parachute
*stuka dive bomber noises*

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Let's not forget the first unfortunate victims of chemical gas attacks :(

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Loel posted:

Looks like Massachussetts' Wus-tah was covered, how about Kentucky's Versailles?

:D

Hey! We like our Ver-Sail-S very much, okay! It's even got a castle in it!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Castle

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

JcDent posted:

I hate all of you

Now tell me something fun about combat helos or Zhukov's ethics

Well, one might argue that Zhukovs etics is what made him such as balls-to-the-wall awesome commander. He very often discarded any shred of conventional morality when it meant military progress. At one point he needed men to take one enemy city, so he released all the prisoners at a local jail, promised them complete freedom, then ordered them to charge across a minefield and spearhead an assault.

Another time he needed to drop troops behind enemy lines but didn’t have any airborne soldiers available, so he just put regular infantry in the back of a cargo plane, had it fly real low, and ordered them to jump out into a snow-covered field without parachutes. Needless to say, some a lot of the poor fools died, but they achieved their objectives, and that's what gets poo poo done.

Case in point: The Russian Federation now issues a Zhukov medal. You get i for using ingenuity to win battles you're not supposed to win!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

bewbies posted:

at least reenactors do it outside

Imma just post this again: https://youtu.be/yuTkgi7scKo

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tias posted:

Case in point: The Russian Federation now issues a Zhukov medal. You get i for using ingenuity to win battles you're not supposed to win!
What, like ones in Ukraine or something?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ensign Expendable posted:

Red Orchestra was hilarious since if you could get more than one guy into a tank you'd completely dominate. That happened a grand total of once though, almost everyone would get out of the tank and grab a different one if someone else got in.

Sometimes, the other 50% of the time you have an idiot who won't listen to you screaming that they need to stop because they're about to drive into an artillery target area and get everyone blown up.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Siivola posted:

What, like ones in Ukraine or something?

I don't know any more about it, but the idea is that you snatch defeat from victory by being a smart commander I suppose.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

I don't know any more about it, but the idea is that you snatch defeat from victory by being a smart commander I suppose.
no that's the george pickett medal

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
This cartoon, "AND HE DID." was first published in July 1915 and forum hero Slammy just posted it in the Comic Strip Megathread.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Just to be clear, I think the people who attempt to argue "Mah raelism/immerzon" for why Battlefield 1 shouldn't be inclusive are idiots, especially because BF1 is not a realistic game.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

xthetenth posted:

African French troops were huge in WWI! Also yes, gently caress De Gaulle, especially since it was a black man who was running an African colony, Felix Eboue, who was the first person to declare loyalty to his Free French.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 22, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
maybe it's just the soppy mood i'm in today, but that is very moving. thank you for posting it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

maybe it's just the soppy mood i'm in today, but that is very moving. thank you for posting it.

SCHOLAR
STATESMAN
SOLDIER ---------

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

SCHOLAR
STATESMAN
SOLDIER ---------
that's not it, it was the thing about his family that got me :cry:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

French Equatorial Africa was, let's just say a little less important to the war effort than that poster makes it out to be. I think it's a very delightful piece of propaganda and was just quoting my favorite part.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAL posted:

Vesna Vulović

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

French Equatorial Africa was, let's just say a little less important to the war effort than that poster makes it out to be.
don't tell me that, i was moved and you ruined it
:stare: oh

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

I mean for sure Serbian women are tough, you can drop them 10km without parachute

HEY GAL posted:

http://youtubedoubler.com/jD5F

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
R 35

Queue: R35 in German service, Medium Tank T1E1, T-55, Strv m/38 and m/39, Vickers E, Christie Combat Car T1/Convertible Medium Tank T3, Type 95

Available for request:

:911:
T2E1 Light Tank
M3A1
Combat Car T4
Combat Car M1 NEW

:britain:
Medium Tank Mk.II
Medium Tank Mk.III
A1E1 Independent
Vickers Mk.E

:ussr: