Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kirby Superscare! posted:

My first experience with a Kirby game was last year in March when I got my WiiU.

Actually, the day I got my WiiUI was the beginning of my great era of gaming because I got to experience a ton of games I'd never had access to.

I am a big fan of Kirby!!

Did you play All The Kirbies in that short time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Retroblique posted:

Okay, it's a November game, but they just released the system requirements for Watch Dogs 2 on PC and apparently it's going to support the XB1 and DS4 controllers but no mention of the 360 controller. Okay, not a huge deal for me, because whereas I've exclusively used a wireless 360 controller on PC up until now, I do have a couple of DS4s (but no adapter for PC on account of not having needed one yet). I guess it makes sense that PC games would eventually require the XB1 or DS4 gamepads over the 360 or whatever else, so maybe it's time to bite the bullet and get that DS4 adapter.

My question is: does the DS4's charging cable work on XB1 controllers? I'd assume it does because it's just basically a micro-USB cable, but just wanted to make sure, especially seeing as Googling such an apparently easy-to-answer question returns every answer from "yes" to "no" and everything in between. Thanks, internet. I just want a straight answer from someone who knows rather than a 12 year-old on GameFAQs making a wild guess.

Also, how's the battery life on the XB1 controller vs. the DS4? The DS4's pretty terrible, barely lasting more than about 4-6 hours on a full charge. "Say goodbye to AA batteries!" boasts the Microsoft web site regarding the XB1 controller. Yeah, well my wireless 360 controller lasts over a month on just a couple of AAs, thankyouverymuch Microsoft. Not exactly something I'm looking forward to saying goodbye to if the new, improved alternative can only be measured in hours.

I'm not in any rush to grab an XB1 controller if I already have a DS4 that just needs a PC adapter, but if the XB1 controller's battery life is significantly better than the DS4's then I may want to consider one of those instead.

The DS4 just needs a standard microUSB adapter. A lady I rented a room from just gave me a DS4 that I guess someone else left there, and I just plug it into my computer with the same cable I use to charge my phone and it works fine. You can use a programme called InputMapper to let you use it on any game that supports a standard/360 controller on PC, and it'll also allow you to use the little touchpad on the DS4 as a laptop-style trackpad which is a pretty neat feature. I'm not sure about the battery life, but again, InputMapper tells you how much battery the controller has left, it's a useful little programme.

Real hurthling! posted:

i now have played the betas for all the big shooters and since i don't play many mp focused shooters here's my thoughts

tf2 is very fun. death comes at what feels like the right amount of time. traversal feels great too. the main beta mode was the one with ai enemies so even scrubs like me feel like they are contributing. of all the games this one felt the most like a game i would play but mp might be dead soon after launch

This made me double take. I'm so out of touch with anyone who plays multiplayer shooters, does Titanfall 2 have a shot at any longevity or has that market been cornered by Overwatch and Destiny and Battlefield at this point?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I still don't understand why we're getting a Watch_Dogs 2. Does Ubisoft really hate us so?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

dqb's combat would be more better if enemies didn't hurt you for touching them. your swing is so short and you can't move and attack so you bump hitboxes a bit too much.

It looks kind of dumb but jumping while attacking seems to help a lot with that

I'm on the final chapter and the only thing thats really bugged me is how late you get the colossal coffer in some chapters so you're stuck managing a tiny inventory for a lot longer than you should have to (especially in the Kol chapter) Also night time can be irritating if you're just trying to build stuff because you'll get harrassed endlessly by the little ghost guys until you build a wall around your base

I love this game though. I think I'm going to buy an actual Dragon Quest game when I'm done

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Archer666 posted:

I still don't understand why we're getting a Watch_Dogs 2. Does Ubisoft really hate us so?

The first one probably sold well on hype and they need a 'big' winter title now that AssCreed isn't on a yearly rotation.
If it's an AssCreed 1 -> 2 situation it might end up being decent if you don't hate open world games on principle.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I replayed this recently as a test of the new battery I soldered into the cartridge (report: it works!). The game is a lot harder than I remembered but man is it good.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jay Rust posted:

Then why comment ????

because i've played civ v and xcom 1 and watched quick looks of civ vi and xcom 2 and would get xcom 2 before civ vi

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I was listening to the Golden Sun OST just now, and I got curious - have they announced any plans for a new game? I liked the past few, even Dark Dawn, and I kinda miss it. :ohdear:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kirby Superscare! posted:

My first experience with a Kirby game was last year in March when I got my WiiU.

Actually, the day I got my WiiUI was the beginning of my great era of gaming because I got to experience a ton of games I'd never had access to.

I am a big fan of Kirby!!

Kirby is good! My favorite Kirby game is the GBA Nightmare in Dreamland which is a pretty good remake of Kirby's Adventure.

I used to love playing through over and over doing stuff like single power runs

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

I can't believe he's gonna be 25 years old next year. They grow up so fast...

Currently my favorite Kirby game is Planet Robobot, though I also really like Air Ride and Nightmare in Dream Land

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I don't think there has ever been a "bad" Kirby game. There have been a few that were adequate but never bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A lot of the straightforward kirbies get judged against Super Star and come up short, but that's because Kirby Super Star is one of the greatest games ever made.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Kirby Air Ride is so loving good and I wish they'd make another one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I was listening to the Golden Sun OST just now, and I got curious - have they announced any plans for a new game? I liked the past few, even Dark Dawn, and I kinda miss it. :ohdear:

Camelot mostly just makes the Mario Golf games for Nintendo now, and the DS Golden Sun wasn't particularly liked, though if you want Sakuraba music you've got something like 100 games or more you can listen to.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think people say Golden Sun has aged really badly if you go back to it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The only good thing about golden sun was how pretty it was for a GBA game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

golden sun was incredibly easy once you get the right djinns

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah its also like 5 hours of reading right at the beginning too so its not a friendly opening

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
My Summer Car - a Finnish take on car simulators - is on Steam's early access tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzPdPYtqBt0

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Insane people say it still holds up.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm blatantly curious, is there still a scene for LBP3?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I don't think there has ever been a "bad" Kirby game. There have been a few that were adequate but never bad.

I've seen people say Squeak Squad was bad but those people can go to hell

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rexroom posted:

My Summer Car - a Finnish take on car simulators - is on Steam's early access tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzPdPYtqBt0

This looks great

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Amazing Mirror was pretty weak IMO.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I also enjoy the newest entry in the civilization franchise.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

Insane people say it still holds up.

It was also bad at the time because it had a bad color palette and was way too dark to see on a standard GBA

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i'm going to launch a holy crusade against japan and force them to make the nintendeu 300 years early

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Spoderman posted:

It was also bad at the time because it had a bad color palette and was way too dark to see on a standard GBA

Is there anything that wasn't too dark to see on a standard GBA?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The Pitch Black video game adaptation was good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

as i was playing through Dream Land 1 I came across this:

I wonder if original plans were for there to be a bunch of Kirbys

Metaknight is a kirby too, he just wears a mask

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

oddium posted:

i'm going to launch a holy crusade against japan and force them to make the nintendeu 300 years early

While you're at it, get Nintendo on a reasonable schedule for the release of their greatest hits like 3D Marios, new Zelda, and Metroid.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My first kirby game was Tilt n Tumble and that was not a good game, imo, because the controls did not gel well with the fact that you had to have just the right lighting in order to see the screen and you'd have to "flip" the screen to make kirby jump so you'd be doing semi-blind jumps and later in the game it just got more difficulty and annoying and bad

Then on the gba SP, the cartridge and screen aren't parallel with each other so you end up tilting the cartridge further and the hinge makes it so when you flip the sp to make kirby jump, the hinge moves and that's annoying too, imo

There are others who say it is good but I think it was just too much of a hassle to play. Interesting tech but not really fun and mostly just annoying

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm going to be playing tilt and tumble with a wiimote which basically makes it 2D monkey ball at that point so I'm curious how it will turn out

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
That sounds like an insanely better way to play it, tbh

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Michel Ancel found a secret treasure in a closet somewhere:

quote:

Incroyable !!!! We have found the old unique Rayman SNES ROM !!!! It was sleeping for 24 years ..... Time to wake it up !!!!

You think these things like this and the old Rareware "Dream" ROMs were really lost or are they just "lost" in that they always knew where they were, they just had no real need to dig them out under piles of office clutter and poo poo?

Like think about how many random prototypes are "lost" in NCL/HAL/Game Freak buildings that would blow our minds if we ever saw them.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

My first kirby game was Tilt n Tumble and that was not a good game, imo, because the controls did not gel well with the fact that you had to have just the right lighting in order to see the screen and you'd have to "flip" the screen to make kirby jump so you'd be doing semi-blind jumps and later in the game it just got more difficulty and annoying and bad

Then on the gba SP, the cartridge and screen aren't parallel with each other so you end up tilting the cartridge further and the hinge makes it so when you flip the sp to make kirby jump, the hinge moves and that's annoying too, imo

There are others who say it is good but I think it was just too much of a hassle to play. Interesting tech but not really fun and mostly just annoying

Tilt and tumble was fun. It's a shame you weren't able to play it correctly :(

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
On a totally unrelated note to everything going on in the gaming world today, I finally found a certain old review of Super Smash Bros. Melee that I've been trying to find for a long time now. There's a...lot, a lot of things surrounding this review that make it special and I've probably gone over them before in years past. But I'm just glad to find at least what seems to be a condensed version of it and have actual visual proof the review existed at all.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

daikatana is better than quake 2 imo

while daikatana is worse in just about every way, it is much more fun than quake 2

quake 2 might be one of the most boring games of all time

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Ostentatious posted:

daikatana is better than quake 2 imo

while daikatana is worse in just about every way, it is much more fun than quake 2

quake 2 might be one of the most boring games of all time

That's a rather weak troll, my man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Healbot posted:

That's a rather weak troll, my man.

i mean im not trolling, quake 2 is dire

maybe its because it hasnt aged well and i enjoy daikatana ironically whereas there's not even any ironic joy in playing quake 2

• Locked thread