Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pick posted:

hello im a 28 year old man, the scariest thing that ever happened to me was a 22 year old girl hitting her jeep with a book. stay safe america.

it was the door pounding and yelling but yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

a bit of a dramatic retelling but he absolutely dodged a bullet there

stump collector
May 28, 2007
she failed to power up enough to blow his house down

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
its Thomas The Tank Engine not Thomas the Train

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Fullhouse posted:

a bit of a dramatic retelling but he absolutely dodged a bullet there

I don't know, she overreacted, but perhaps everything really was innocuous and the guy is insecure. His arguing style is infuriating as well.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

JFairfax posted:

Thomas the Train [64M] Thomas the Tank Engine [70M]

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

JFairfax posted:

obviously she's the one who dodged a bullet

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Pick posted:

You suck. She did everything possible for you

I was sixteen, you monster!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That guy is hardly a Darfur war orphan or anything and he has clearly never been robbed at gunpoint but I dunno how I'd react to someone that close to me having a property-destroying tantrum followed by pounding on my door yelling and crying for several minutes either :shrug:

Pvt.Scott posted:

I was sixteen, you monster!

Yeah I dunno if we can really blame a sixteen-year-old for not knowing how to react smoothly to a non sequitur sexual come-on

If a teenaged boy engineered a situation where he was alone with a girl and then said "you know I just LOVE eating pussy" or something he'd strike out hard, and that's without even making awkward allusions to the girl's bodily insecurities

e: "they say chubby girls are better in bed because they want it more"

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I interpreted him as being scared in a "oh poo poo I broke her mind, what happens now?" way rather than an "I am personally in danger" way. But he has still obviously lived a very sheltered life if he hasn't ever had to deal with someone getting messily emotional.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Moon Atari posted:

I interpreted him as being scared in a "oh poo poo I broke her mind, what happens now?" way rather than an "I am personally in danger" way. But he has still obviously lived a very sheltered life if he hasn't ever had to deal with someone getting messily emotional.

Yeah I don't think he was scared of her kicking his rear end (or I hope not, heh), I think he was scared of the implication. Like, now he's got to spend the next few weeks looking over his shoulder, wondering if she's gonna a) lie to everyone he knows about how he cheated on her, b) fake a pregnancy, c) actually be pregnant, or d) straight up lose it and burn his house down.

Seeing somebody have a meltdown isn't terrifying because you're worried about what they'll do in that moment; it's terrifying because you're realizing you thought you knew this person but you have no idea what they're capable of.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

lmao

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Naerasa posted:

Yeah I don't think he was scared of her kicking his rear end (or I hope not, heh), I think he was scared of the implication. Like, now he's got to spend the next few weeks looking over his shoulder, wondering if she's gonna a) lie to everyone he knows about how he cheated on her, b) fake a pregnancy, c) actually be pregnant, or d) straight up lose it and burn his house down.

Seeing somebody have a meltdown isn't terrifying because you're worried about what they'll do in that moment; it's terrifying because you're realizing you thought you knew this person but you have no idea what they're capable of.

There is a lot of horrible poo poo an off the rails ex can do to ruin your life.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Who would do this???

My [28F] husband's [30M] parents [60sM, 50sF] renovated our kitchen while we were away and I hate it.

You don't need to read the whole thing but here's a key quote:

quote:

In fact, the wall they removed was load-bearing.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Who would do this???

My [28F] husband's [30M] parents [60sM, 50sF] renovated our kitchen while we were away and I hate it.

You don't need to read the whole thing but here's a key quote:

the property brothers warned you about this!!!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Girlfriend of 8 months [F 19] is angry with me [M 19]to the point of breaking up over changing my Twitter profile picture to Bobby Hill.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

HardDiskD posted:

My [25/F] fiancé's [28/M] brother [25/M] drunk dialed me saying he's in love with me.

I think the best action here is to pretend this never happened.

This is a bad idea but a legitimate post: poo poo your pants before you talk to him. The smell will shatter his "she's perfect" view of you. If he asks, tell him that you have food poisoning. I imagine he's obsessed and not "in love" and this will take care of that. He'll justify it as normal in his head to avoid seeing his sister-in-law that way but the damage to his feelings will be done.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I was thinking that he could just be rattled by the display rather than the implications. Some people get really jacked up by extreme emotions or things like 'mental health emergencies', either because they have been sheltered from such things and panic when unsure how to respond, or sometimes the opposite where they've experienced a bunch of trauma and get triggered by anything that seems like it could lead to more. Some people also have a sort of over-reactive empathy response where if they see someone freaking out they can't prevent themselves from also freaking out rather than doing something to help the situation.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Gaunab posted:

Girlfriend of 8 months [F 19] is angry with me [M 19]to the point of breaking up over changing my Twitter profile picture to Bobby Hill.

that boy ain't right

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

dammit bobby

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

This is a bad idea but a legitimate post: poo poo your pants before you talk to him. The smell will shatter his "she's perfect" view of you. If he asks, tell him that you have food poisoning. I imagine he's obsessed and not "in love" and this will take care of that. He'll justify it as normal in his head to avoid seeing his sister-in-law that way but the damage to his feelings will be done.

spend most of the day eating halloween store blood capsules and leave the reddest diarrhea in his toilet. attraction over

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Pick posted:

hello im a 28 year old man, the scariest thing that ever happened to me was a 22 year old girl hitting her jeep with a book. stay safe america.

It's kind of odd to harp about how dudes are socialized wrong and encouraged to bury emotions and harden themselves while making fun of dudes who share their emotions and aren't hardened.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

loquacius posted:

Yeah I dunno if we can really blame a sixteen-year-old for not knowing how to react smoothly to a non sequitur sexual come-on

If a teenaged boy engineered a situation where he was alone with a girl and then said "you know I just LOVE eating pussy" or something he'd strike out hard, and that's without even making awkward allusions to the girl's bodily insecurities

e: "they say chubby girls are better in bed because they want it more"

Yup. If there was an "most awkward ways I hosed up with the opposite gender in high school" thread, 99% of the stories would be much worse than Pvt.Scott's painfully ordinary post. Teenage boys are the epitome of low self-esteem awkwardness. I know this because I've been there too.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Charles Get-Out posted:

It's kind of odd to harp about how dudes are socialized wrong and encouraged to bury emotions and harden themselves while making fun of dudes who share their emotions and aren't hardened.

There's probaly a happy medium in between emotionless and scared of someone hitting a car with a book

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Yup. If there was an "most awkward ways I hosed up with the opposite gender in high school" thread, 99% of the stories would be much worse than Pvt.Scott's painfully ordinary post. Teenage boys are the epitome of low self-esteem awkwardness. I know this because I've been there too.

That girl just innocently wanted me to feel the material her shirt was made of. :sweatdrop:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

There's probaly a happy medium in between emotionless and scared of someone hitting a car with a book

Maybe he never witnessed someone having an emotional breakdown before?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

quote:

Made racist joke at husband's work function; mortified and don't know where to go from here

My husband and I (both thirties and professionals) are a mixed-race couple. We pretty much constantly joke around saying inappropriate things to each other, including about race, gender, religion, upbringing, etc. We recently went to a work-related happy hour at his new job. He doesn't know anyone there terribly well yet. It was really informal (the night turned into a game of playing scrabble with the filthiest words that people could think of), but these aren't people that we know well. I should probably mention that I have some low-level social anxiety in these kind of situations.

In the course of the night he made a comment about doing manual labor, and I, without thinking, said, "well, you are Mexican." My husband laughed it off at the time but told me later that he felt completely humiliated. This is exactly the kind of comment that we make to each other all the time, but he very rightly felt that it was out of line in company of people that we didn't know.

I feel completely, horribly awful about this. I feel terrible that I hurt my husband, who now says that I probably really am racist (I swear to god that I am not) and that my family and I probably say a lot worse behind his back (never ever). I also feel completely unable to face his work colleagues again.

Is there any coming back from this? What do I do?

TLDR: Made an awful racist joke at a work function and now don't know how to face my husband or his colleagues.

i am mortified about my behavior but only after the fact

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Charles Get-Out posted:

It's as though there's no pleasing some people.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
That's like, a really light racist joke. Husband must have some thin skin

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Improbable Lobster posted:

Maybe I'm reading it as more serious than "hitting a car with a book" considering she dented the thing and also assaulted his front door.

edit: bein' a little too flip

Nancy fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 24, 2016

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
What kind of person makes racist jokes to people they don't know in real life settings? What kind of person makes racist jokes period? It's amusing how she tries to justify how she didn't gently caress up after the fact too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

corn on the cop posted:

i am mortified about my behavior but only after the fact

Sometimes you get a brainfart and really dumb poo poo comes out of your mouth. poo poo happens.
The joke wasn't that egregious either. Just apologize and move on.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
The most scared you've been in your life is overstating it, but being very concerned that your ex is having a breakdown outside of your door seems pretty reasonable.

On another note, 95% of the redditors that portray themselves as the level headed ones in arguments probably come across as petulant children in real life.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Every night I used goto Eyes Wide Shut parties with my wife and one time she said something lightly racist and now I'm uninvited so please take it seriously, goons.

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
Yeah, I don't know why a man would be scared of his recent insane ex pounding on his door. It's a well-documented fact that women can't use weapons. They have such dainty little hands, they could never pull a trigger, or do any real damage with a knife.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Did the guy ever actually elaborate on how she was flirting with other guys or did she say hi to a guy once and now he's gotta lay down the law

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

CharlestonJew posted:

Did the guy ever actually elaborate on how she was flirting with other guys or did she say hi to a guy once and now he's gotta lay down the law

Yeah it was an update on an earlier post in this thread, I think she was talking to and getting handsy with some dude at a hangout a lot and ignoring the OP a bunch. I dunno if it was good enough reasoning to breakup with her without the OP's insecurity filter, but his insecurity doesn't excuse her reaction or lessen it imo.

Edit: 3 paginas back, it's weird that he can't get her age straight

quote:

My girlfriend [22F][24F] flirts with guys and I'm [28M] at my limit

My girlfriend is cute, charming and loves attention. At least that's what I now realize after dating her for just over a year. I also had begun to realize she's a flirt.

Two nights ago we were at a bar with friends. I got there late as I had just gotten off of work. When I arrived it was my girlfriend and her friends all hanging out. My girlfriend was talking to some guy with her roommate [26F]. I went over and said hi and then went to get a drink. I was talking to a friend and then I heard my gf talking to her roommate about the guy they were talking to. His name was Zach. My girlfriend then told her roommate that Zach has a girlfriend. My girlfriend has never met him before.

Later as the night progressed I couldn't help but notice my girlfriend had a wondering eye for this Zach guy. I just rolled it off my shoulder.

Later I was talking to a friend and my girlfriend was, again, talking to Zach.

At the time they were 5 feet away from me. My girlfriend couldn't take her eyes off the guy. Then she put her hand on his chest, laughing and being flirty. Right after, he went off to another part of the bar and my girlfriend was checking him out the entire time, right in front of me.

If I could paint a picture. Zach walks behind me. My girlfriend was facing me. And her whole body moved to watch him walk away as she was facing me. This was the better part of 10 seconds

I feel pretty disrespected.

I didn't do anything and continued to be polite and the night ended fine. No one drank much throughout the night. I had a couple beers. She had a few mixed drinks. None of us got drunk.

At this point, I'm not sure if I should bring this up or just let it go. She has been flirty like this before and I'm just pretty tired of feeling disrespected.

I'm at a point in my life where I'm looking for wife material and I'm honestly not sure if she's it due to this kind of behavior.

Should I say anything? Leave the relationship? or let it go?

tl;dr: girlfriend flirts and I feel disrespected. Should I just let it go?

Edit: Wrong key! She's [24F]. sorry all.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 24, 2016

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

military cervix posted:

My wife [22/F] and I [23/M] got married 5 months ago but she still isn't ready to consummate our union yet.

Woman is gonna end up in a convent, husband in a whore house.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Gaunab posted:

She just wanted a picture of a got dang hot dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Usually touching someone else's chest without a concrete reason is considered worth getting jealous over, yeah

in short

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

That girl just innocently wanted me to feel the material her shirt was made of. :sweatdrop: