Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MacheteZombie posted:

Of course he won't try to kill Bucky. Cap wrote him a letter!

If Stark cared to, he could probably hit Wakanda with an orbital laser.

Stark is impulsive, emotional, and in Civil War has been cut off from almost his entire support structure. Pepper broke up with him, Widow is secretly working against him, Vision is still figuring out who and what he is, and Steve - the one man Stark knows who is not simply supposed to be but actually is incorruptible and good - is going rogue. That's not the same thing as Stark being stupid, though.

Look at Stark's relationship with Rhodey. My read is that once Stark calmed down and thought about it, he understands what Steve did for Bucky. Stark would have done the same for Rhodey. Once the immediate emotion and Stark's characteristic FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT response subsides, Stark does care about people and wants what's best for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MacheteZombie posted:

The movie would be so much better without the airport fight (and the bit just before where Sharon Carter gives them their gear) and the letter ending.

You mean the scene where Bucky uncomfortably shifts position in the tiny car after Falcon passive-aggressively refuses to move his seat forward? And they both give Cap a reeeeeally pained smile after he kissed Sharon?

I thought that was one of the best scenes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Guy Goodbody posted:

I mean, what do you want Steve to have written, "You're a terrible person Tony and I won't help you fight Thanos because you were mean to my friend"

This literally should have been the last spoken line of Infinity War Part I if it was still going to be two movies.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think people are running into problems interpreting Civil War because they want everything to be about larger issues, and Steve, in this film, doesn't actually care that much about larger issues (although Tony does). Steve isn't actually saying that everybody should be able to do whatever they think is best; he's just saying that he personally (and by extension the Avengers) is going to.

This isn't super consistent, ideologically, but Steve has always been about doing the good that's in front of him and about not putting up with present injustice to serve a nebulous greater good.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really doubt Tony is going to try to kill Bucky on sight in Avengers 3.

He didn't even in Civil War itself, so I really doubt he would in Infinity War. He has Bucky dead to rights at one point with Cap still out of the fight temporarily and shifts from a lethal shot to a non lethal shot that just puts him unconscious. And then he and Cap have their big tussle. It's quite sloppy in a way, but alternately you could see Tony as being conflicted about what to do and who to be angry at and just acting on the spur of the moment and off his emotions most of the fight - reeling them in when it's important and sparing Bucky to take his anger out on Cap instead.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cythereal posted:

Stark is impulsive, emotional, and in Civil War has been cut off from almost his entire support structure. Pepper broke up with him, Widow is secretly working against him, Vision is still figuring out who and what he is, and Steve - the one man Stark knows who is not simply supposed to be but actually is incorruptible and good - is going rogue. That's not the same thing as Stark being stupid, though.
Steve isn't incorruptible and good, he's been going down the same paranoid, reactionary spiral as Tony.

Rand Brittain posted:

I think people are running into problems interpreting Civil War because they want everything to be about larger issues, and Steve, in this film, doesn't actually care that much about larger issues (although Tony does).
Well, yes, Steve dresses like a flag and lets people call him "Captain America" despite not caring about these "larger issues." A troubling element in this story is that Steve is thick as pig poo poo.

quote:

Steve has always been about doing the good that's in front of him and about not putting up with present injustice to serve a nebulous greater good.
This is a downright silly thing to say about a guy who was desperate to enlist and go fight in Europe or Southeast Asia. But then, Steve's not that guy anymore.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rand Brittain posted:

This isn't super consistent, ideologically, but Steve has always been about doing the good that's in front of him and about not putting up with present injustice to serve a nebulous greater good.

Which instances can you think of? At least pre-Civil War, we had him fight with people who turned out to either be literal Nazis or completely wrong in all aspects.

Like the closest thing would be in Avengers when he discovers the secret weapons and threatens to break up everyone over it, but he's vindicated by that because it turns out the organization he's working for is literally a bunch of Nazis, again.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

I mean, what do you want Steve to have written, "You're a terrible person Tony and I won't help you fight Thanos because you were mean to my friend"

Well no obviously not. And again, I think you're spot on about Steve forgiving Tony. I also think Steve is the kind of guy to be the bigger man and write the letter to apologize for his (I believe much smaller) role in the fight, while Tony sulks around the complex.

But there's tons of degrees between "we're best friends again" and "we're enemies forever" and I don't fault M'sJ for wishing Steve had expressed a little more of his own hurt over Tony's destructive actions, and for Tony himself to show more regret. It was a common complaint that the letter felt a little too much of a clean wrap-up so that Infinity War could hit the ground running with a curt nod or whatever.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

computer parts posted:

Which instances can you think of? At least pre-Civil War, we had him fight with people who turned out to either be literal Nazis or completely wrong in all aspects.

Like the closest thing would be in Avengers when he discovers the secret weapons and threatens to break up everyone over it, but he's vindicated by that because it turns out the organization he's working for is literally a bunch of Nazis, again.

In The First Avenger, the army command wants Steve to sit around and do publicity stunts rather than risk losing the only super-soldier they actually have, but when the opportunity to rescue Bucky and a bunch of other soldiers comes up, he ignores them and goes off to do the mission solo.

In The Winter Soldier, Nick Fury has instituted a massive program to pre-murder people that SHIELD thinks might be dangerous, and Steven is unwilling to accept this as for the "greater good."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rand Brittain posted:

In The Winter Soldier, Nick Fury has instituted a massive program to pre-murder people that SHIELD thinks might be dangerous, and Steven is unwilling to accept this as for the "greater good."

It's not his program.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Nick Fury: Just Following Orders

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

computer parts posted:

It's not his program.

He does a whole sales pitch on it to Cap, seems like it's at least a little bit his program.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

Nick Fury: Just Following Orders

What do you think the "J" in "Nicholas J. Fury" stands for?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

You mean the scene where Bucky uncomfortably shifts position in the tiny car after Falcon passive-aggressively refuses to move his seat forward? And they both give Cap a reeeeeally pained smile after he kissed Sharon?

That's the one!

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

I didnt think there was anything passive-aggressive about Falcon refusing :

"Can you move your seat up?"
"No."

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Phylodox posted:

Jules.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Pussy Quipped posted:

I didnt think there was anything passive-aggressive about Falcon refusing :

"Can you move your seat up?"
"No."

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

There was so much disdain in his voice, he had to have been just crunching him for fun. That's my favorite scene in the movie, followed by both of them on the ground after Spider-Man kicks their asses and Falcon just simply says "I hate you." in response to Bucky asking if he could have summoned his drone earlier.

I'd watch a whole movie of Steve's new best friend hating Steve's old best friend who is the cause of all of Steve's new best friend's troubles.

Phylodox posted:

Josephine. It's why he's overcompensating so hard.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It turns out Infinity War is about Thanos trying to be Steve's new best friend

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

There was so much disdain in his voice, he had to have been just crunching him for fun. That's my favorite scene in the movie, followed by both of them on the ground after Spider-Man kicks their asses and Falcon just simply says "I hate you." in response to Bucky asking if he could have summoned his drone earlier.

That's how I read it too, Falcon just being super-petty. It's such a fun little aside moment but I guess it qualifies as quips and such things cannot be tolerated.

quote:

I'd watch a whole movie of Steve's new best friend hating Steve's old best friend who is the cause of all of Steve's new best friend's troubles.

I know a lot of Marvel C and DD-listers get Netflix shows and whatnot, but what I am missing in this whole MCUniverse thing is spinoff movies like this. It is no surprise that Cap and Iron Man and Thor and Hulk get sequels, they are basically their own franchise. But to tie things together I would like the driver from Iron Man to spent a weekend with Falcon in Las Vegas, only they have to take Bucky along or else Tony wont let them have the company limousine.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hmm, I read the scene as the car being so small and lovely falcon literally could not move his seat forward.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

greatn posted:

Hmm, I read the scene as the car being so small and lovely falcon literally could not move his seat forward.

Anthony Mackie would act the hell out of this scene and it would be loving hilarious.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

greatn posted:

It's an old-rear end VW beetle, it's designed to be that way but would probably survive the first Avengers movie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The two local movie theaters for me do not have screening times for Doctor Strange yet??? o.o But they have schedules for Fantastic Beasts, I am so confused right now.

Grendels Dad posted:

It's an old-rear end VW beetle, it's designed to be that way but would probably survive the first Avengers movie.

Absolutely no adult in existence can fit in the back of a VW Beetle basically.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Rand Brittain posted:

In The First Avenger, the army command wants Steve to sit around and do publicity stunts rather than risk losing the only super-soldier they actually have, but when the opportunity to rescue Bucky and a bunch of other soldiers comes up, he ignores them and goes off to do the mission solo.
Indeed. He's a loyal soldier, but he goes AWOL on a one-man rescue mission behind enemy lines.

Those same instincts are there when he becomes a vigilante waging a private war in a crowded marketplace, but he's become a paranoid anarcho-libertarian.

His state of mind is not unlike Batman in BvS.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

That's how I read it too, Falcon just being super-petty. It's such a fun little aside moment but I guess it qualifies as quips and such things cannot be tolerated.

It's not so much the "quips"

I find the scene superfluous and an excuse to push an unnecessary romance subplot.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MacheteZombie posted:

It's not so much the "quips"

I find the scene superfluous and an excuse to push an unnecessary romance subplot.

You think Bucky and Falcon are gonna hook up?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Played around with giphy during a break at work and figured I'd cross-post this from BSS since in some senses, Spiderman is a comic book character and his movies can be fun.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

You think Bucky and Falcon are gonna hook up?

That's what I'm getting at.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Spider-Man 2 is really good. I wish any of the Marvel movies were that cheerfully absurd and melodramatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRJiF1lnGO8

I'm Spider-Man no more...no more.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

That's what I'm getting at.

They have to hate gently caress something.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Spider-Man 2 is really good. I wish any of the Marvel movies were that cheerfully absurd and melodramatic.

So much of the cheesiness is them committing to having Peter say the line of the famous story. You gotta love that. Like if Spider-Man was trapped under a huge pile of machine debris and at some point during the process of trying to lift it off or accept his fate they somehow worked it in to have him say "Well, if this be my destiny!"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRJiF1lnGO8

Cameo: Darkman alley.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Spider-Man 1 and 2 are the best Spider-Man movies asm1 is better than asm2 but asm2 is better Spider-Man 3,batman forever is also a good batman movie.

Fight me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Spider-Man 1 and 2 are the best Spider-Man movies asm1 is better than asm2 but asm2 is better Spider-Man 3,batman forever is also a good batman movie.

Fight me.

Batman Forever is trash.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Batman Forever is trash.

Batman forever had the best batman soundtrack, the best suit and a good gotham (not as good as tim burtons but good on it's own) Kilmer was a good batman.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah but it also had half man, half party-animal Two Face.

It's like half of him fell in a pit of Concentrated 90s Extreme. It has not aged well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Batman forever had the best batman soundtrack, the best suit and a good gotham (not as good as tim burtons but good on it's own) Kilmer was a good batman.

I agree with all of this. In particular I was absolutely obsessed with the design of the city. However, the movie itself is still balls.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Yeah but it also had half man, half party-animal Two Face.

It's like half of him fell in a pit of Concentrated 90s Extreme. It has not aged well.

Totally agreed,two face was going to be a lot less kid friendly but they changed it :/

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I agree with all of this. In particular I was absolutely obsessed with the design of the city. However, the movie itself is still balls.

It was the first batman movie I saw at the cinema, I was four years old so I have a soft spot for it :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

It was the first batman movie I saw at the cinema, I was four years old so I have a soft spot for it :allears:

I was 11 so I wasn't at the age yet where I knew movies could be bad. Between that and Judge Dredd I was in hog heaven.

• Locked thread