Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Well? Did any of you lose your favorite character? AE is probably to blame. #tbt

bleeped bad words for the innocent

AE posted:

ALRIGHT HEY IT'S CLEAR YOU GUYS THINK WORD COUNT INDICATES A MELTDOWN. NO. THIS IS A MELTDOWN. MELTDOWN HAPPENS WHEN YOU loving CUNTS WON'T DROP IT AND KEEP THE THREAD ON TRACK. COOL, I GUESS I'LL JUST LEAVE THE loving THREAD THEN. THANKS FOR MAKING THIS A lovely PLACE FOR ME TO GO. I'LL GO TALK ABOUT MY FAVORITE SHOW SOMEWHERE ELSE, SOMEWHERE WITH LESS (ed.)*NWS WORDS*(ed.) SO EAT MY poo poo AND I HOPE YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTER DIES BEFORE WE EVEN MEET NEGAN

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RIP (Start of meltdown): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745970&userid=99218#post457676183

awesome interactions

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

moist turtleneck posted:

Well? Did any of you lose your favorite character? AE is probably to blame. #tbt

bleeped bad words for the innocent

RIP (Start of meltdown): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745970&userid=99218#post457676183

Jokes on you AE, Negan is my favorite character :smuggo:

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Dongattack posted:

Jokes on you AE, Negan is my favorite character :smuggo:

Undead Otis is still out there right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

King Vidiot posted:

I still don't get the whiners, this show isn't remotely at "hate-watching" levels of badness. Dexter post-season 4 was the worst loving poo poo I've ever seen and yet I still stuck it out, and to this day I wish I hadn't. The Walking Dead has never even come close to that insultingly bad. It's a mediocre daytime drama with zombies, and now emotionally-manipulative cliffhangers and head crushings. I'll continue to watch because it's mildly engaging.

It's fine, it's a totally fine and okay show. Jesus christ.
It's not bad at all. It's at least moving forward the last few seasons instead of idling like it did in season 2.

I'm guessing Carol will probably have to go rescue Daryl now? She and Morgan are still somewhere in the wilderness.

I thought that was a pretty strong introduction to a new villain who is a legitimate threat. I know about this storyline in the comics but I'll be interested to see how they change it.

I will say that it seems like they learned from the mistakes of the last season finale and mostly just got down to the reveal. It was effective the way it was done, although the flashing of the images over each character was a dumb tease before the actual reveal of who died.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I wonder how people are gonna react to Spencer getting his guts ripped out

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I don't even know who Spencer is

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

moist turtleneck posted:

I don't even know who Spencer is

Exactly.
He's the pussy literally wearing a red shirt who says 'We should have made a deal!' in next week's preview. Boy does he get it good.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's not bad at all

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Sjs00 posted:

I wonder how people are gonna react to Spencer getting his guts ripped out

They're not even if it's the most gruesome thing shown on a TV. People only care when it happens to a character they care about.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Super Aggro Crag posted:

It's hard to find this gross after two seasons of Ash Vs Evil Dead. Daryl done hosed up though.

That is easily the bloodiest show on TV. Even HBO would look at it and go "Ehhhhhh, I don't know."

And it is awesome. This season has taken it up to 11.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
Nice to see the spoiler that AMC released a couple weeks ago was true, when they showed Rick's right side of his face with blood splatter, instantly confirming Abe's death.

My prediction on how this season will play out

Also climax of this season will build up to a Rick and Co vs. Morgan and Carol confrontation. Morgan probably dies. Like Morgan and Carol are killing Negan's men a few at a time so Negan sends Rick to go deal with it. Morgan and Carol convince Tiger-Warlord to join in the fight against Negan. Rick probably unknowingly kills a bunch of Tiger Warlord's guys and sparks an all out feudal war. Rosita probably dies.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Gortarius posted:

Hmm. I have zero hope for this season. I'm glad that they revisited their one hundred burning logs set piece just to confirm that yes, zombies are attracted to fire.

EDIT:

Do cemeteries also serve as like a stadium for your TV events? I watched like a minute of that cringy talk show after the episode and he claimed that he and that horde of people were on some cemetery watching Walking Dead. Cheering, shouting, booing and generally just making a racket. On a cemetery.

???

http://cinespia.org/

Get drunk, smoke blunts, watch movies and the occasional TV event.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Just caught up on the thread, I can't believe that the biggest revelation hasn't been discussed.

They did it guys.

They finally did it.

The found spaghetti for their Spaghetti Tuesdays (on Wednesday).

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
also lol @ the zombie at the very end stopping to scoop up the free brains on the ground while Rick drives off with a thousand yard stare

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
Shane shouldve lived instead of Rick. Shane would NOT have let any of this poo poo happen.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

"Steve Yeun posted:

Yeun also recalled one of his memories from his time on the show, and a painful one at that. “I got a tick on my penis. It was bad news. What was cool though was for me I was kind of glad that it happened to me because I knew in my head I was the only one who would be willing to share it with everybody.”

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Spectral Debt posted:

Shane shouldve lived instead of Rick. Shane would NOT have let any of this poo poo happen.

same but the govenor

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

That episode saved the show from the direction it was heading over last season. They were starting to wimp out and almost give all the main characters plot armor or dumb changes. Here's hoping Carol snaps out of her pacifist funk and Morgan learns to kill again and I think we'll totally be back on the right track.

Morgan already killed a dude didnt he?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Guess they got the one good episode of the season out of the way. Lots of fun until they all monologued at each other at the end.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Morgan already killed a dude didnt he?

Morgan killed the guy that was hunting Carol down, yeah.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

The Archaic posted:

Nice to see the spoiler that AMC released a couple weeks ago was true, when they showed Rick's right side of his face with blood splatter, instantly confirming Abe's death.

I'm pretty sure they explicitly showed him getting that splatter later, when Negan whipped the Glen-soaked Lucille in an arc, just to be a gently caress.

I like Negan and I hope they make this pay off with a Rick who is truly beaten, fighting against rebellion and working for him for at least several episodes.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

I mean, for everyone complaining about "why can't we just have a season where the group isn't facing a major threat and is just living in this post apocalypse world?"

That's basically what season 2 was and it seems almost universally reviled as the worst one.

It's not like it was devoid of anything positive, it had several good things in fact:

-Shitloads of character development, especially for Daryl and Carol which served as the basis for the beloved characters they'd become.
-Introducing Herschel and Maggie.
-Shane slowly going batshit crazy.
-The darkening of Rick's character and the buildup to his confrontation with his best friend, and his subsequent transformation from lawman to pragmatic survivalist who does what he has to.

But all I and most of us remember is all the bitching about the season and the endless memefest.

-SOPHIAAAAAAA!
-They're still on the farm?
-Abortion pills actually labeled Abortion Pills
-She was undead and in the barn the whole time?!? :ughh:
-They're STILL on the farm?
-:lol: Glenn's getting fed to a Left 4 Dead Boomer stuck in a well
-:rip: Dale, torn open like a baked potato
-THEY'RE STILL ON THE loving FARM?!
-Herschel's unlimited shotgun ammo cheat code

The show always seems to be at it's best when the group is either moving forward towards a major goal (CDC in season 1, going to Washington to make a "cure" second half season 4) or when they're dealing with an overarching menace (Governor season 3 and first half season 4). And when they stop and it's just them being stationary at some place and interpersonal drama like season 2 and second half season 5 through first half season 6 everyone complains how bad the show is.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Can't wait to spend a whole 45 minutes learning jdms background, 7-8 episodes before he gets killed.

And you know, this might be what finally does rick in. He sure seemed broken, I bet he's never coming back from this! It's unprecedented!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/pRSAZFU.gifv

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Watching Negan gently caress up these lovely characters is so cathartic. One can only hope he continues bashing these fuckers heads in all season.

I have never wanted the "bad guy" to win this much. Did they intentionally make the evil villain the least grating character?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I just wonder how they'll keep Negan threatening over the entire season. Unless it is a season of Rick being his bitch and other players like Maggie and Carol/Morgan being the ones who are secretly working behind the scenes to get something done.

I mean Negan can kill the nameless people in the town, but how many do they even have left at this point?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

bobjr posted:

I mean Negan can kill the nameless people in the town, but how many do they even have left at this point?

On some days there are zero nameless people in the town, on other days there is about a hundred of them. It is a mystery.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Am I the only one whom Negan reminds of "Bill the Butcher" from "Gangs of New York" ?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

miraculous feat of somehow topping the awful season finale in sheer shittiness

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i thought the bloodbath was effective, appropriate, and indicative of the hard row our intrepid heroes have to hoe.

I am most excited to meet our medieval lance-carrying friends this season, tbh.
10/10 on JDM as Negan though, so great.

My wife sobbed at the finale and i think i figured it out a bit maybe, people are upset because they watched Negan beat a marriage to death on screen, not just a guy. it hits harder if you have family/relationships maybe.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

UmOk posted:

Watching Negan gently caress up these lovely characters is so cathartic. One can only hope he continues bashing these fuckers heads in all season.

I have never wanted the "bad guy" to win this much. Did they intentionally make the evil villain the least grating character?

Probably because the main cast is utterly joyless and uninteresting to watch 95% of the time. Negan is a poo poo, but he is a character that actually is a little more interesting in the world he is in. Also he is played by one of the better actors on the show thus far, so he brings more charisma than the 1000 yard stare fest that we get from most of the cast.

Before someone whines BUT ITS THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. I know, I don't expect tap dancing on zombies with show tunes, but since the plot and decision making is hideously dumb, making the characters more dynamic would be something.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Something actually happened on this show for once? I'm out y'all. I've got an infant and a middle class income, I can't stand for this.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Well, I uh, really liked the music they used in this episode?

Negan didn't disappoint. JDM's acting is great. But dragging out and milking the first 20 minutes really just sucked out the emotion for me. I wanted to like this episode so bad. I want to like this season so bad. But how many times do you have to repeat the "eenie meenie miny moe" scene? By the time the bat landed on Abraham, I wasn't shocked, I was just thinking "loving finally..." Glenn surprised me, I'll give them that, but I had already been somewhat expecting him to die before the episode started because of the comic (I know they deviate often, but I just had a feeling about this). And while I didn't have a problem with the brutality by itself, I did think it was cheap considering the lack of actual content of the episode. Like they were relying on shock-value alone.

And I can already hear the legions of fans defending it and saying all the flashbacks and the "Imagine what will happen" sequence was building up suspense and making it more emotional but the truth is that they were just milking it for all it was worth. They still had to pay everyone to shoot their own personal death scene in case of leaks, might as well use them right?

I just really hope this isn't an indication of how the rest of the season is going to be. I'll probably never stop watching this show, but I might have to start waiting for the marathons to just binge-watch it.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Even at its most grim I'm glad the characters on this show actually like each other, though they should have more personal conflicts. I actually thought the end of Fear Walking Dead season 2 was meaner and stupider than this by a wide margin. I still feel dumb for watching that second season.

Haha that's actually one of the things I like better about FTWD compared to the main series. Most of the main characters are related and they loving hate each other. I feel like it's cute that the main TWD cast are a ragtag team who had no affiliations before the outbreak and are now inseparable, but I also find it a little cheesy and unrelatable. Or maybe I came from a hosed up family. IDK.

Also the settings are all infinitely more interesting than TWD's. After 6 seasons of generic forest settings, even the middle of the Pacific Ocean is preferable. The pacing is bad but honestly I think the main series is losing that edge too. Oh well, at least TWD still has more compelling villains. Or at least more competent villains.

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 25, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'd like to see them at least try to explain how Negan was able to build up his gang to begin with. If he treated people like this all the time, surely all of them must at least deep down want revenge on him for killing their family/friends. Was he nicer and reasonable early on? Like you can't become some feared dictator type if you're just some guy on your own with a bat going around telling people you own them, someone would just shoot him.

I'm sure the answer is just comic book poo poo and he just happened upon a lot of groups like the wolves who are cartoonishly ~evil~ for no reason and chose him as the leader, but the existence of his group seems contrived to me, even for this show where basically everything is severely contrived.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Hammerstein posted:

Am I the only one whom Negan reminds of "Bill the Butcher" from "Gangs of New York" ?

I get the same sorta vibe from him and I think that's why I like him despite the fact that he's obviously a horrible person (like Bill). I like JDM as an actor, so I think that helps, too.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Yes, you are right and that they can do whatever they want. They can also just change the next season into an episodic musical about christmas and you would still be right.

I didn't mean "they need to..." because they are legally obligated to. I mean "if they want to actually make thier show worth watching and keep their audience enjoying the show" then they should do something to signal to their very loyal and annoyed audience that at some point the characters that they've followed for the last 7 years will have something good happen and that there might be a reason to exist in this lovely new world. So far I'm not sure why there haven't been more suicides in this show, given how relentlessly the protagonists are tortured. There was a lot of hub bub in the first season about that one girl who wanted to kill herself and how everyone didn't want to let her do it. But hell, she looks pretty smart given all the pointless bullshit the other characters have endured to get nowhere.

Or yes like you said they can just run it into the ground like they've been doing for the last three seasons with increasingly boring plot lines and no real goal other than "survive for another episode".
Doesn't this cut to the heart of the problem with shows like this? If you are meant to buy into the narrative, for it to be realistic and conceivable, then it's only logical that it would reflect the fact that if it were to happen in the real world then everyone would pretty much be at the mercy of the next big fish to come along - with no exceptions. With no law and order Ricks group would prey on a weaker group, and would themselves be preyed upon by a stronger group, who would be preyed upon by another stronger group. It would literally be survival of the fittest.

The problem with a show not reflecting this, and letting popular characters just survive indefinitely against increasingly implausible odds, is that the show becomes less and less believable. This is really what killed Dexter for me (that, and lovely writing period), because the titular character managed to avoid detection for so long, with the narrative escapes getting ever more incredible and weightless, eventually the viewer just ends up massively sighing at the next encounter because they have grown accustomed to "the big names" having plot armour.

As to whether or not that makes for a compelling show when it's just endless nihilism.. *shrug* Glenn had to die though, anything less would've been (another) cop out.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This show is like freaking heroin LMAO I hate every moment except when the crew does something badass (way to go and kill two of the most interesting badasses by the way) but I can't stop watching

What the gently caress is this? Seriously want to see a psychological study on this poo poo, why do I keep loathe-watching?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Jonny 290 posted:

My wife sobbed at the finale and i think i figured it out a bit maybe, people are upset because they watched Negan beat a marriage to death on screen, not just a guy. it hits harder if you have family/relationships maybe.

I think you may have hit the nail on this point. I'm in a rough place emotionally right now, and the only person standing by me is my bf of 13 years, who's about to be my husband. In addition, I haven't kept up with the comics, and try to live under a rock about spoilers, so both deaths were a shock to me (I even said at the beginning, "I'll bet it's Aaron, Glen's got +10 plot armor"; I had no idea whatsoever). I started crying when Abe got whacked, and loving lost it when Glen did, because their gf/wife was right there watching as it happened. Seeing their spouses cry was what pushed me over the edge. (also, poor Eugene, who was kinda Abe's bro-mance husband. :( )

I'm not in the "I can't watch this anymore" camp, in fact I'm pleased the show has made me feel something. The gore wasn't what got to me --- it's a zombie show, for chrissakes ---, it was more "fuuuuuck, Glen and Maggie were two likeable, competent characters who got together, and now this?" I wasn't torn up at all when Lori died because she was a hot mess of stupidity, but seeing those guys go as their spouses watched their heads get bashed in was painful.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

Probably because the main cast is utterly joyless and uninteresting to watch 95% of the time. Negan is a poo poo, but he is a character that actually is a little more interesting in the world he is in. Also he is played by one of the better actors on the show thus far, so he brings more charisma than the 1000 yard stare fest that we get from most of the cast.

Before someone whines BUT ITS THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. I know, I don't expect tap dancing on zombies with show tunes, but since the plot and decision making is hideously dumb, making the characters more dynamic would be something.

I thought about it and I realized that I don't hate all the characters. There is one who was not really a frowny mcscowl angryface. That was Abraham. Only character that I can remember having fun in the last two seasons. Of course he is pretty much a secondary character so his head was going to roll eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I think you may have hit the nail on this point. I'm in a rough place emotionally right now, and the only person standing by me is my bf of 13 years, who's about to be my husband. In addition, I haven't kept up with the comics, and try to live under a rock about spoilers, so both deaths were a shock to me (I even said at the beginning, "I'll bet it's Aaron, Glen's got +10 plot armor"; I had no idea whatsoever). I started crying when Abe got whacked, and loving lost it when Glen did, because their gf/wife was right there watching as it happened. Seeing their spouses cry was what pushed me over the edge. (also, poor Eugene, who was kinda Abe's bro-mance husband. :( )

I'm not in the "I can't watch this anymore" camp, in fact I'm pleased the show has made me feel something. The gore wasn't what got to me --- it's a zombie show, for chrissakes ---, it was more "fuuuuuck, Glen and Maggie were two likeable, competent characters who got together, and now this?" I wasn't torn up at all when Lori died because she was a hot mess of stupidity, but seeing those guys go as their spouses watched their heads get bashed in was painful.

Glenn and Maggie are not likeable. Their only defining trait was being "the married ones."