Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm happy that a fight between a rubber man and a man that makes hard-tack biscuits appear out of thin air is getting this much discussion.

Thank you, Oda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

oddium posted:

i remember alvida but who was the woman

That beautiful Sea King. :sparkles:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

tsob posted:

I don't recall any such implication in those pages. What was said/done to imply he had another form? Not that I'm doubting you mind, I just don't recall anything and could have easily missed it.

there was a flashback right before the final blow where rayleigh was like "uh dude gear 4 drains your energy like crazy come up with something else" then theres a cutaway or something and hes like "dude you're nuts that even crazier" pretty sure ive brought it up before itt

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

anime was right posted:

nah, luffy will use the juice. its only been brought up like 5 times lol

http://read.powermanga.org/read/one_piece/en/0/790/page/13

rayleigh basically says "yeah come up with something better than gear 4th you numbskull"

here. looks like the followup part was only part of the anime and i confused the two, rip. but yeah, rayleigh says luffy needs something else, but it could just be king kong gun. that said, almost every time oda is ambiguous like this, its for a reason.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

anime was right posted:

there was a flashback right before the final blow where rayleigh was like "uh dude gear 4 drains your energy like crazy come up with something else" then theres a cutaway or something and hes like "dude you're nuts that even crazier" pretty sure ive brought it up before itt

I thought (and still think) that was just setting up for the finisher Luffy does on Doflamingo, since the flashback has Rayleigh telling him that Kong Gun isn't going to work out in long battles because of his Gear Fourth time limit.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Is Kaido an Oars or an Oars Jr? He didn't look that much bigger than Kidd & Co.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Sub Harrison posted:

Sounds like a blast. I don't understand why they'd need to add characters though. One Piece's character list must be on par with the Simpsons cast.

Oh no, there weren't any original characters made for the Kabuki, I just meant there were characters that were credited with actors who never appeared in the footage I saw, likely since they had to speed through and abridge a lot of it.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

That loving sucks it's abridged

Agreed. I understand why they did it though, I imagine the full show was probably something like four hours long. The version in theatres was around 2 hours but there was a lot missing. For example, the majority of Amazon Lily was montaged to get to Luffy finding out about Ace's impending execution, and Luffy's break into Impel Down had the same to get to him meeting Bon Clay. Then Pizarro was in the credits and cast list but not in the show, so I imagine there were some scenes with Blackbeard and his new crew cut for time too. I can understand some of that, but other parts sucked, like during the shortened Marineford they show Whitebeard's entrance but then later on when Whitebeard reappears he already had his Squardo and Akainu wounds. It might have been covered in narration, but I really would have liked to have seen at least the first moment.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I'm phone posting but I'm 100% sure Rayleigh was referring to King Kong Gun. Luffy recalls himself saying, "well, what if I did THIS?"and then immediately uses KKG for the first time. It's pretty cut and dry. The only thing similar to what you guys are talking about is when he almost used G3 against Blueno before realizing he had already won. If there is any sort of Gear 5 (I happen to think it's a little late in the story, and that we probably just have G4 forms and Awakening left), he doesn't seem to have learned it yet.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Advice posted:

I'm phone posting but I'm 100% sure Rayleigh was referring to King Kong Gun. Luffy recalls himself saying, "well, what if I did THIS?"and then immediately uses KKG for the first time. It's pretty cut and dry. The only thing similar to what you guys are talking about is when he almost used G3 against Blueno before realizing he had already won. If there is any sort of Gear 5 (I happen to think it's a little late in the story, and that we probably just have G4 forms and Awakening left), he doesn't seem to have learned it yet.

Yeah that's what I thought too. Rayleigh said Kong Gun didn't work, and Luffy suggested "What if I made an even BIGGER punch?", and then we get King Kong Gun.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

F. Lobot posted:

Is Kaido an Oars or an Oars Jr? He didn't look that much bigger than Kidd & Co.

I think his name is short for Kai D Oars, seeing as how Oars Jr's ship was called Oars III he could be Kaido's son.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Jeans Freak Luffy arrived today and now guards my desk at work:

Got him on sale from Amazon last week. Cool figure, definitely worth :10bux:

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

DizzyBum posted:

Jeans Freak Luffy arrived today and now guards my desk at work:

Got him on sale from Amazon last week. Cool figure, definitely worth :10bux:

May he protect your soul and inspire kindness at your corporate desk situation. Looks rad.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Gomu-Gomu no TPS report

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Get a figure of best jeanist from my hero academia to go next to him, if they ever make one

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Green Intern posted:

Gomu-Gomu no TPS report

I'm not going on a boring adventure like that!

Captain Invictus posted:

Get a figure of best jeanist from my hero academia to go next to him, if they ever make one

I like the way you think.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Break for this week, right?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Break for this week, right?

no

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
we JUST had a break week before this chapter theres 2 more including the one tomorrow

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:siren: CHAPTER SPOILERS

Sanji just defeated Luffy in a duel. Luffy's apparently gotten poo poo training.

Dropped till next arc.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Maybe don't rely on incomplete spoilers.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't even know where you're getting that cause the pictures I've seen say nothing about a duel.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't even know where you're getting that cause the pictures I've seen say nothing about a duel.

Well, I saw an image of Sanji kicking Luffy. And also Luffy saying he won't fight Sanji. So that's potentially mistakable as a duel I suppose. If you squint real hard.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's a rough translation out, you might want to wait though considering the quality: http://m.mangafox.me/manga/one_piece/vTBD/c844/1.html

You are

Always a dump

Guy

!!!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There's a rough translation out, you might want to wait though considering the quality: http://m.mangafox.me/manga/one_piece/vTBD/c844/1.html
""rough"" is an understatement, holy poo poo

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

Duwang Piece.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Cat Machine posted:

This feels like a picnic.

Chew.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/46954/20161027/one-piece-end-soon-manga-writer-takes-break.htm

Holy poo poo One Piece might get a long HXH hiatus in December.

I'm...okay with this.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grouchio posted:

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/46954/20161027/one-piece-end-soon-manga-writer-takes-break.htm

I'm...okay with this.

That site is just a bunch of bull so i would take this with a huge grain of salt.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Grouchio posted:

I'm...okay with this.

On one hand, good for him because he works too hard and is gonna give himself a heart attack if he doesn't calm down.

On the other I will never forgive him if this is true :argh:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The translation is complete garbage, but I guess it's still mainly about the visuals; so uh, here you go!

One Piece 844
http://www.mangamint.com/one-piece-844

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

I'm...okay with this.

That article is fake as the Fakehats.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
We're going through the exact same plot beats here as in Arlong Park and Water 7 here.

Although I guess Sanji's being more physical about his rejection.

Not feelin' it.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

First, an actual translation: http://mangastream.com/r/one_piece/844/3760/1

Second, I feel like the situation will be resolved soon, there's no tension in prolonging this status.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

LupusAter posted:

First, an actual translation: http://mangastream.com/r/one_piece/844/3760/1

Second, I feel like the situation will be resolved soon, there's no tension in prolonging this status.

Yeah, I think Sanji will give in quickly and then the jig will be up, resulting in Luffy and Sanji teaming up to beat the poo poo out of the brothers and dear old dad while all hell breaks loose because the marriage is called off.

I wonder if Big Mom will crush the Germa as well as retaliation for them being forced to back out at the last moment due to Sanji's antics and wasting her time? Maybe she wipes out the entire Germa fleet single-handedly as a display of her true power to the reader? Like the whole Red Shirt/Worf effect thing to show how fearsome Big Mom really is.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I can't believe mangastream used the loving N word

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Usopp sitting off somewhere wondering why Luffy didn't go easy on him

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I can't believe mangastream used the loving N word

Uhh i missed that one where did that happen?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

my face the entire chapter

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Dammit Sanji, you could have done better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
This chapter is way more powerful and emotionally-gripping with a proper translation. Made my lip quiver, but no tears.

And man, that line from Luffy about risking starving to death until Sanji comes back must have really loving hurt for Sanji to hear given his own childhood trauma of almost starving to death.

You can really tell it hit him in the gut. :v: Jokes aside, Oda is fuckin' nailing it with the scene composition, especially with the juxtaposition between Baratie Luffy and hosed Up Luffy. Kudos to Oda, as always! :swoon: