Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

w00tmonger posted:

Having a bug the last week or so and I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting on my end.

Lately the app has just been failing to load while I'm on 3g etc, even though I can still Google poo poo and get other programs working. Works fine on wifi

On a OnePlus 2, Android 6.0.2

Have you tried loading the SA Forums in Chrome/Firefox/etc? It could be something with Cloudflare or whatever protection checker, if you're on some nonstandard 3g network (I assume CA is the same as USA for no weird treatment, though).

edit: this is a total guess, good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

sweart gliwere posted:

Have you tried loading the SA Forums in Chrome/Firefox/etc? It could be something with Cloudflare or whatever protection checker, if you're on some nonstandard 3g network (I assume CA is the same as USA for no weird treatment, though).

edit: this is a total guess, good luck

Looks like 3g is fine on chrome. With wind, but it looks like everything is in the clear otherwise

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

AlphaKretin posted:

A small request: could we get [sub] tags in the BBCode dropdown?

I've been reworking this stuff and trying to jazz up the interface a bit, which probably isn't going to work out but hopefully I can push the tag stuff out at least

w00tmonger posted:

Having a bug the last week or so and I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting on my end.

Was it working on 3G before? Or have you never seen it work? And what doesn't load, the app itself or forum content? If you're getting a 'Loading Failed' message, is it immediate or does it fail after waiting around? Have you tried logging out and back in while on 3G?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Immediately get a loding failed message when trying to refresh/load a new page etc on 3g.

It was working until recently, maybe a week ago. Works fine on wifi on it right now

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Do you know if the app updated since then? Basically the forums are going through a few backend changes, and it's possible the problem isn't with the app. (Or that there is a problem but it might be a moving target at this point)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Not certain, but sure probably. I'm super current with updates as soon as they happen.

Is there a way to view update history?

Deleting the cache/data didn't do the trick

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 12, 2016

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
This new update is scary and different. Everything is big and takes up more space.

Someone hold me.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Just reinstalled after removing it when GBS was deleted(it was annoying me to see it and not be able to click it) and it won't let me log in anymore. Verified my pw on both my comp and logging in via chrome on my phone, so thats not the problem.

Any suggestions?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

So if anyone else using a launcher that allows you to retheme icons, here's some I made for my own personal use. They are a little boring, but I hope that someone else will find use for it.

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 17, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I installed the Awful app on my new Motorola G4 and I have an issue with scrolling. When I'm just scrolling down in a thread, it's constantly jumping to the next page. It's seemingly random, but I assume it's due to a specific way of tapping or scrolling.

Is there a way to disable the page jumping entirely? I just want it to scroll when I scroll, nothing else. I already checked settings but couldn't really find anything that related to it.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Phlegmish posted:

I installed the Awful app on my new Motorola G4 and I have an issue with scrolling. When I'm just scrolling down in a thread, it's constantly jumping to the next page. It's seemingly random, but I assume it's due to a specific way of tapping or scrolling.

Is there a way to disable the page jumping entirely? I just want it to scroll when I scroll, nothing else. I already checked settings but couldn't really find anything that related to it.

I don't think that should be happening but just in case, you can disable pull-for-next in device and navigation settings

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I turned everything in Device and Navigation off and it's still happening.

Could just be my cell phone? Anyone have any idea what setting it could be? This is really annoying.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sure you're not pressing the Next button with the heel of your palm or something? It occupies that whole space on the nav bar, it's a large button (hold down on it to see)

If you like you can try turning on developer mode on your phone and turning on Show Touches or whatever and check you're not getting ghost presses down there.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well poo poo, I think you might be right about accidentally pressing Next with my palm. That explains why I couldn't figure out the pattern. I have to accept that I have small Trumplike hands and stop trying to use this huge phone one-handed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Well poo poo, I think you might be right about accidentally pressing Next with my palm. That explains why I couldn't figure out the pattern. I have to accept that I have small Trumplike hands and stop trying to use this huge phone one-handed.

I invoke the task switcher and keyboard changer regularly on my Nexus 5. It's easy to do when you use your device one-handed.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I usually notice the keyboard interrupting swipes, that kind of thing. Plus I swear the screen registers presses before my finger even comes into contact, so there's the spooky aspect too

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

I usually notice the keyboard interrupting swipes, that kind of thing. Plus I swear the screen registers presses before my finger even comes into contact, so there's the spooky aspect too
Screen sensitivities do vary and on some devices this is genuinely a thing. My Desire or GNex or something used to do it for sure.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah my Nexus 6p will do page forward sometimes from the meaty part of my thumb slightly overlaying the edge. I get the activation without actually touching thing sometimes too, in and out of Awful app.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

I invoke the task switcher and keyboard changer regularly on my Nexus 5. It's easy to do when you use your device one-handed.

This is why the Motorola dimple needs to be standard. And the Motorola 2013/2014 X body design :shobon:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Phlegmish posted:

I've got huge ham hands and I still palm press the next page refresh button so don't worry.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I couldn't log in these past few days and it can only be two things:

1. long passwords: mine was like 21 characters, but i changed it to something like 12 and it still didnt recognize it, and i think it's because

2. probations: I switched phones while I was probated, and no matter what, awful refused to log me in. After the probation expired, I input the password once again. It failed. I input it one more time, not changing it, and it accepted.

You might wanna look into that

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah, looks like it's coded to reject logins when you're probed for some reason. How long had it expired when you tried to log in again? Are we talking seconds or minutes or hours? There might be a timezone issue but it's hard to tell for sure without seeing the probation page

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ArfJason's avatar does not display and he has title text "null" in the app. I believe his avatar is an oversized administrator granted one.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Midjack posted:

ArfJason's avatar does not display and he has title text "null" in the app. I believe his avatar is an oversized administrator granted one.

You probably have him on ignore. Trap sprung.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sereri posted:

You probably have him on ignore. Trap sprung.

Confirmed.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
That club's getting crowded

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ArfJason posted:

That club's getting crowded

much like your face

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Oh god, what did this latest update do? Performance took a huge hit and new BBcode menu is all barely visible slightly darker white on white

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

attachment check

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yay, downloading works. :woop:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I agree that the bbcode menu is a little hard to read, but I haven't had any performance issues.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Being able to select text and still access the bbcode menu is clutch. Thanks for that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

CrashCat posted:

Oh god, what did this latest update do? Performance took a huge hit and new BBcode menu is all barely visible slightly darker white on white

Can you read the text? Also what theme are you using

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The text is easier to read. I'm using the OLED theme.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I just got it, it's hard to read in the dark theme because the bottom sheet should be dark but isn't. Will fix.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

baka kaba posted:

Can you read the text? Also what theme are you using
I switched back to OLED and the performance improved, the other themes seem to be totally wrecked though

I can read it enough to push the buttons I guess

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

What device are you using? On what version of Android? Any places in particular?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sereri posted:

What device are you using? On what version of Android? Any places in particular?
Well, it's my old ASUS Nexus 7. I'll have to check what version it's up to but I shouldn't be surprised that some update would be too much for it. It gets huge slowdown on the Default and Dark themes, even on pages with no images. Given that it's an old device now I suppose it's not worth fussing over. I'll have to look into what I can get to replace it next year.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

CrashCat posted:

Well, it's my old ASUS Nexus 7. I'll have to check what version it's up to but I shouldn't be surprised that some update would be too much for it. It gets huge slowdown on the Default and Dark themes, even on pages with no images. Given that it's an old device now I suppose it's not worth fussing over. I'll have to look into what I can get to replace it next year.

The actual thread view is one of the few places the current beta update did not touch upon. It's possible the slowdown is caused by hardware acceleration being turned off for some reason (is there still a reason for it being an option?) or a recent update to the webview. I suspect it's the HA as both the light and dark theme have shadows in their theme while the OLED theme does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sereri posted:

The actual thread view is one of the few places the current beta update did not touch upon. It's possible the slowdown is caused by hardware acceleration being turned off for some reason (is there still a reason for it being an option?) or a recent update to the webview. I suspect it's the HA as both the light and dark theme have shadows in their theme while the OLED theme does not.
That was it, hardware acceleration got turned off somehow. No idea since I never screw around with those settings and certainly not since the update. Though I probably haven't tried the other themes in a long time since I was only checking them this time to see if the BBcode menu icons worked any better.

Also for some reason on OLED theme the toggles don't light up when they're on, I had to switch themes to figure out whether left or right was on. :saddowns: