Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Krazyface posted:

I believe that screen only shows trade routs available from the cities where you currently have trader units based.

Which doesn't seem like a very good tool for people who want to see what trade routes are available to their civ, but hey what do I know.

How the gently caress is the UI in this game so bad while everything else is so good? It's actively gone backwards from Civ 5 despite being the same system!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Are there any good intermediate/advanced guides for this game? I'm having difficulty working out how to min-max a strategy and end up railroaded into building a little bit of everything and filling my cities with low-yield garbage

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Leinadi posted:

I really like the inclusion of Theological Combat. And I actually like when the AI comes with a carpet of religious units. I had an epic Holy War where I managed to defend my poo poo from Egypt who was going for a Religious Victory, it was cool.

However, after that war, apostles kept coming, one by one, every couple of turns into my territory after that. And it turned into such a bore to defend against these single units who just kept trickling in. Completely pointless.

Yeah, it turns into a drag really quickly. In my last game I was positioned pretty well for a religious victory with half the civs already converted and about 10k faith in the bank, but I passed on it simply because I didn't want to deal with having to send three dozen apostles across the sea to convert every city one by one.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Taear posted:

Did you pass on him? Oops.

And I know they don't have iron but they could upgrade to Infantry maybe!

How much does it cost to upgrade a warrior to infantry? And do they even have the tech? I don't really know what drives City-State technology.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gort posted:

How much does it cost to upgrade a warrior to infantry? And do they even have the tech? I don't really know what drives City-State technology.

It does cost lots. But it feels wrong that city states are using Warriors even in 1800.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the major AIs are usually still running around with Spearmen at that point so hey

hell so am I, the Pikemen tech is an unappealing dead-end

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Sticking with poo poo-tier units is great when you finally get to Musketmen and find out there's no niter anywhere near your cities.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Selling a cavalry army gave me almost 5k. About 9 times what selling a single cavalry would give me (I think the merchant republic gold buy discount also reduces the money you get for deleting units, so it's probably not exact due to rounding somewhere in the calculations). I think there's a bug and selling corps/army is supposed to give you 2x or 3x gold, respectively, but the multiplication is accidentally done twice so you get 4x/9x. So if you want to get ridiculously rich, you can use that. Probably a bridge too far even if you're willing to exploit deleting units for gold, though.

It's hilarious how badly you can break the game with Scythia. Build 6 light cavalry (only paying for 1.5 times the base production cost of one) , merge into 2 armies, sell armies, 36x production cost of the unit in gold. If you still have horsemen, you spend 120 base cogs to get 2880 gold.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Taear posted:

It does cost lots. But it feels wrong that city states are using Warriors even in 1800.

I kinda feel like there should be generic poo poo-tier lines of melee and ranged units that use no resources and that can be straight upgraded throughout all the eras. They'd be worse than anything that uses resources, but at least we wouldn't be seeing stone-age units running around.

Or maybe the whole idea of having strategic resources being required to build certain units needs to die. What if strategic resources didn't give you different units, but boosted the units you can build anyway? So you might have this:

1. Civ in the medieval era can build raiders. They run on foot and look like a dude in leather with a javelin and have strength 30.
2. Same civ gets horses. Now the raiders are on horseback and have four movement.
3. Same civ has iron and horses. Now the raiders are on horseback, with four movement, with iron armour and weapons and strength 35.

You could do the same with the industrial era. You can still build tanks, battleships and planes with no oil, but they're half as fast and the planes have poo poo range.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Warmonger penalties start at the classical era. But classical for who? You, the one you declared war on or both?

edit:

Gort posted:

I kinda feel like there should be generic poo poo-tier lines of melee and ranged units that use no resources and that can be straight upgraded throughout all the eras. They'd be worse than anything that uses resources, but at least we wouldn't be seeing stone-age units running around.

I 100% agree with this.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 25, 2016

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Does the Civ V trick where you prioritise production for new citizens still work for increasing production on that turn?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

PirateBob posted:

Does the Civ V trick where you prioritise production for new citizens still work for increasing production on that turn?

I don't think you can set priorities now, at least if you can then the UI sucks at telling you.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Thom12255 posted:

I don't think you can set priorities now, at least if you can then the UI sucks at telling you.

You can. On the city...bar there's little circles with each type of production on it. Click that circle and it makes it a priority.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gort posted:

You could do the same with the industrial era. You can still build tanks, battleships and planes with no oil, but they're half as fast and the planes have poo poo range.

there's something to be said for a combustion engine airplane that runs on wood, and is made of wood

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Taear posted:

You can. On the city...bar there's little circles with each type of production on it. Click that circle and it makes it a priority.

You can click multiple circles, too. Not sure how effective it really is, but I've watched a bunch of streamers click on the focus food AND industry at the same time (and have done it myself because emulating the good players is how you get better, right?) You can mix and match a whole bunch of 'focus' 'whatever' and 'avoid' pips on all the possible yields.

The White Dragon posted:

there's something to be said for a combustion engine airplane that runs on wood, and is made of wood

"How far can it fly?"
"All the way to the scene of the crash!"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The White Dragon posted:

A steam-powered prop-plane! Which could actually be done, you can totally get the power-to-weight ratios you need for an airplane engine out of a steam engine. The big issue is that steam kinda has two fuels, one of them being water and water is heavy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The White Dragon posted:

Wood gas engines are still used in countries with gasoline shortages, and wooden planes were really common up to WWII. Here's what Goring had to say about the Mosquito: "The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops."

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
So last night someone told me to upgrade walls...just upgrade them. To get back to the point: I don't know how. None of my cities with walls have the option to upgrade them, at all. I'm nearly DONE the tech tree and my cities are still sitting on Ancient Walls :(

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I discovered aluminum and it said i had some on my borders, but every time i clicked the thing it didnt show up. 5 turns later and i have 2 aluminum somehow but I can't find any icon of it even on my continent, and its not coming from city states wtf

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It could be under a city or a district.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

UmbreonMessiah posted:

So last night someone told me to upgrade walls...just upgrade them. To get back to the point: I don't know how. None of my cities with walls have the option to upgrade them, at all. I'm nearly DONE the tech tree and my cities are still sitting on Ancient Walls :(
It appears that you lose the ability to build walls once you research the Civil Engineering civic, because of Urban Defenses.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

UmbreonMessiah posted:

After a while you lose the ability to build walls beyond the Ancient ones to enable attacks. You seem to get bonus defense for free though.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

There are so many changes oh god

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The White Dragon posted:

It could be under a city or a district.

Wouldnt thr icon show up still? Or mouse over? Do you get the resourcr if a district is over it?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

WHY DO I HAVE PLACES TO PUT WONDERS AND WHY ARE CIVICS CARDS AGAINST HUMANITY

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ZenVulgarity posted:

WHY DO I HAVE PLACES TO PUT WONDERS AND WHY ARE CIVICS CARDS AGAINST HUMANITY

Waiting for the Belgium DLC for the "Stifling a giggle at the mention of Hutus and Tutsis" policy

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The best Great Person I had was Galileo. I have a city that is surrounded by the mountains outside of the ocean to the south, with one title west of the city that entirely surrounded by mountains outside one title. I used him there and precede to get four technology for free, suddenly causing me to be far advance.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Some of you guys might be interested in this:

Soren Johnson (Lead Deaigner of Civ 4) just interviewed Sid Meier in his podcast. Haven't listened to it yet myself, but it should be a great listen like Soren's other interviews have been.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernotes/episodes/sid-meier-part-1

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
Should I just be building an Industrial Zone in every city, or just one in a few and then wait for factories?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Production is so low without them that it's pretty much necessary. Make sure they're within 6 tiles of as many of your cities as possible, too.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Calico Heart posted:

Game looks dope as hell. Any word/idea on an OS X release?

Literally just released last night.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Why in god's name did they make salpeter/niter a resource again? I remember that being the most loving annoying strategic resource to get in Civ 3. I just got the Musketman tech and there's no niter on my continent save for three tiles of it within spitting distance of my main rival's capital a million miles away.

At least Cavalry doesn't require it. Go go Scythian Cavalry hordes.

I'm getting a lot of Beyond Earth vibes from this and it's a bummer. Lots of potential, but it seems really disconnected and stale. Lots of "Next turn."

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

gently caress yeah researching flight 300 years before it happened irl

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

DrPop posted:

I'm getting a lot of Beyond Earth vibes from this and it's a bummer. Lots of potential, but it seems really disconnected and stale. Lots of "Next turn."

I'm getting that every game I've played. It's fun playing scythia and just horse archer/horseman rushing AI in the early game but jesus loving christ there are so many things wrong with this game right now. Between the UI, great people, production costs, the bugs and glitches, and diplomacy system it drives me up a wall. It all just feels kind of random at the moment.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Also having Wonders take up a tile seems like A Bad Idea.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It's actually V Good because it makes space more valuable and requires more planning, also because it prevents one person who happened to get a location with a lot of production from wonderspamming in one city.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

DrPop posted:

Also having Wonders take up a tile seems like A Bad Idea.

Wonders on tiles is awesome. It prevents the rush for the exact same wonder in every single game because only a certain percentage of civs will have the ability to build it because of tile restrictions.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
wonders on tiles make them what they were always supposed to be - niche picks you build and plan for because they're integral to your strategy. Not a buffet of bonuses for people who sit on a high-production capital.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Well maybe I'm one of those guys who likes to rush all Wonders in one city <:mad:>

That makes sense though, I guess it's not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Jastiger posted:

Wouldnt thr icon show up still? Or mouse over? Do you get the resourcr if a district is over it?

The icon won't show up, but it will be in the tool-tip if you mouse over the spot. And yes, if you've built a district/wonder/city on an unrevealed strategic resource, you automatically get it when you get the revealing tech. You can look at the View Reports button on the top bar (directly to the right of the list of resources). It has a Reources tab, and you can find where the resource is found.