Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kilroy posted:

You act as though they weren't already paying taxes while "making it big". Again, you live and work in the US as an ordinary citizen, paying taxes off the back of that, and if you leave and, after being overseas for long enough to qualify for citizenship somewhere, renounce your US citizenship, all your assets (including any you may have acquired after leaving the US) are up for taxation.

This is about people who are trying to hide money or avoid taxes in the first place, this is just double taxation.

I'm sorry, but you're basically complaining that wealthy people have to pay a bunch of taxes to avoid further taxes in the future? Why should anyone care?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I really want to like Nuclear more but I have zero faith in the ability of the American government to regulate

Why? We've had commercial nuclear power going for longer than anyone but maybe Russia, and there's been 0 deaths. Is it just magically going to break tomorrow despite supplying around a fifth of our electricity for decades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Spacebump posted:

https://twitter.com/WDFx2EU7/status/790954492225212416?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Right Wing is really going hard with the rigged narrative.

(It's funny when you realize Suzanne D. Patrick isn't running this year)

Hey guys, the touch calibration on this one is off can you fix it?

:derp: ELECTION FRAUD :derp:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PhazonLink posted:

NJ is the shadow/0th shttiest state. Above FL and those other states that keep trying to "win" the #1 spot.

Also your fatass governor was the first major GOPe to bend the knee for Donnie.

Speaking of which, has this been posted?

Quietly, in the shadow of Trumpageddon, Chris Christie's career has more or less ended thanks to the horror stories pouring out of the Bridgegate trials.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BUG JUG posted:

There is a section in that NYT article where the author says something like: Trump saw his name in print as being special, and denied to other people. The first thought that came to mind: this guy is literally Tom Marvolo Riddle. Christ.

Few pages ago, but my wife called him Lord Cheetomort after seeing this.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

This gets asked a lot but the short story is there was a poster named Arzy who used to panic at every sign that Obama could lose or was down in any area of the US. Later he did some random 180 and became a Republican supporter. He's banned probated until 2023.

fixed

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Solkanar512 posted:

Sales tax is also "double-taxation". Also up until that day, the ex-patriot in question had direct access to US Embassies, benefited from treaties negotiated by the US State Department and so on. I'm not going to argue that this is a perfect system, but I'm having a difficult time feeling terrible for the insanely rich folks this happens to catch off guard.
Again, it's not the "insanely rich" it's catching off guard, it's mostly people overseas living middle class and upper-middle class lives who will get hit the hardest by renouncing.

And I can't believe we're holding up access to embassies as though that's some sort of special privilege only available to US citizens and that's why they have to pay tax on foreign income and assets. Do you think Canada does not have embassies in every country that the US does? Do you think Canadian citizens are barred from using the services those embassies provide? What specifically do you think the US (and, apparently, Eritrea) are doing for their citizens living abroad that no other country on Earth is doing and which justifies all this? Be specific.

Also, sales tax is pretty regressive, so bad example on your part, and anyway it's not "double taxation" in any way.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

WampaLord posted:

For question one - read the OP. It's good.

For question two - Obama overperformed polls by 2-3 points in 2012 due to superior GOTV efforts. If Hillary does even better than that, then polls showing Trump up by 3 in Texas = Blue Texas.

As a real die-hard Clinton supporter I can tell that you are 100% delusional if you hope for Blue Texas this year or any year in the next two decades. If Texas casts its electoral votes for Hillary Clinton this year I will write a 3000 word essay on why I was dumb and wrong to doubt the Grand Abuela's mastery and will also make a $100 contribution to a charity chosen by the first Texas goon to quote this post (or, by default, Planned Parenthood).

:toxx:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

PT6A posted:

Well, yeah, the point is that American expatriates are taxed on foreign income, which is a thing that other countries don't do. This isn't just talking about rich people trying to hide their money, it's about anyone making any amount of money working a normal-rear end job in a different country -- they have to pay taxes in the country they're living and working in, of course (as they should), but then also pay US taxes. That's a dumb system no matter how you slice it.

Note that the US, again, obviously requires non-citizens to pay US income tax if they are living and working in the States.

Except if you're working a normal rear end-job in a different country, you probably don't make enough for the US to ask you to pay taxes on it? Especially since you can claim against the taxes you're paying in that different country against your US taxes.

Kilroy posted:

Again, it's not the "insanely rich" it's catching off guard, it's mostly people overseas living middle class and upper-middle class lives who will get hit the hardest by renouncing.

Huh, it's almost as if the country doesn't want it's citizens to renounce their citizenship and tries to punish them if they do.

duz fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 25, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

Speaking of which, has this been posted?

Quietly, in the shadow of Trumpageddon, Chris Christie's career has more or less ended thanks to the horror stories pouring out of the Bridgegate trials.

Yeah, he is more or less hosed.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Squeegy posted:

/pol/ is Arzying hard

it's almost like humans have a shared global interest of shelters, sustenance, and safety.

When you're ready to stop being a tearful nazi, sweetie - you can join us for candles and cake. Take all the time you need. :smith:

Armani fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 25, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

computer parts posted:

I wonder how many people feel about this way about (federal) taxes in general.

Like "Oh yeah I'd love it if [program X] existed but I just don't trust the American government to do it correctly, they'll probably make it even worse off than before!"

It's not so much that, it's more like as the other person said, I do not trust our government to be able to hold businesses to those standards.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Ogmius815 posted:

As a real die-hard Clinton supporter I can tell that you are 100% delusional if you hope for Blue Texas this year or any year in the next two decades. If Texas casts its electoral votes for Hillary Clinton this year I will write a 3000 word essay on why I was dumb and wrong to doubt the Grand Abuela's mastery and will also make a $100 contribution to a charity chosen by the first Texas goon to quote this post (or, by default, Planned Parenthood).

THE PACT IS SEALED.

(Planned parenthood or RAINN, your choice)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, he is more or less hosed.

My only regret is that we don't have a lamppost strong enough to hang him from.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

It's definitely not a 100% lock for Trump, which it very much should be. I look forward to reading your essay.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Spacebump posted:

https://twitter.com/WDFx2EU7/status/790954492225212416?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Right Wing is really going hard with the rigged narrative.

(It's funny when you realize Suzanne D. Patrick isn't running this year)

It is even more funny when you realize that the same twitter account probably was the cause of the "Trump repeats Russian propaganda!" mini-scandal from earlier this month:

EdIt: so it it entirely possible that account is in some way not all it appears to be.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 25, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

fishmech posted:

Why? We've had commercial nuclear power going for longer than anyone but maybe Russia, and there's been 0 deaths. Is it just magically going to break tomorrow despite supplying around a fifth of our electricity for decades?

Probably I am showing my ignorance but my worry is that a single nuclear disaster would carry really bad consequences. If we multiply the number of reactors and get even a single corrupt company or toothless regulation it increases the chances of a fukushima.

Like, how could we guarantee we would not get a nuclear version of Deepwater horizon.

Like, as others have said, if you let the navy have a monopoly on it, I am OK with that. My worry is a general lack of faith in regulating American enterprise

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Solkanar512 posted:

Sales tax is also "double-taxation". Also up until that day, the ex-patriot in question had direct access to US Embassies, benefited from treaties negotiated by the US State Department and so on. I'm not going to argue that this is a perfect system, but I'm having a difficult time feeling terrible for the insanely rich folks this happens to catch off guard.

Our record so far is really, really good. You can also look to the US Navy or other heavily regulated areas like aviation.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Ogmius815 posted:

Don't forget to include our glorious future where there is a taco truck on every street corner.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

fishmech posted:

I'm sorry, but you're basically complaining that wealthy people have to pay a bunch of taxes to avoid further taxes in the future? Why should anyone care?
I guess everyone in this thread is living in some alt-Earth where only the fabulously wealth would ever bother to move to another country.

People move overseas for all kinds of reasons, because of marriage or whatever else. It's not just billionaires, for gently caress's sake. They don't deserve to be harassed with reporting requirements that mean they have to hire an accountant to do their complicated US tax returns every year (even though they haven't earned money in the US for most of their adult lives), that mean it's almost impossible in some jurisdictions to get an ordinary bank account (because the banks don't want the hassle of dealing with the FATCA regulations for American-citizen accounts), and so on. All of that just to have the same terrifically awesome privileges that basically every expatriate from anywhere has, like going to their nearest embassy or consulate every few years to renew their passport.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

duz posted:

Huh, it's almost as if the country doesn't want it's citizens to renounce their citizenship and tries to punish them if they do.
you don't consider this a problem?

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

duz posted:

Except if you're working a normal rear end-job in a different country, you probably don't make enough for the US to ask you to pay taxes on it? Especially since you can claim against the taxes you're paying in that different country against your US taxes.

Also there is the foreign earned income exclusion which can allow up to $100,800 to be excluded from your adjusted gross income

farfegnougat
Oct 31, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

I guess Trump's back to windmills killing ALL OF THE BIRDS

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/790978393449885697

It's almost poetry, really. Dadaist poetry. But poetry. Would work better in haiku form, though, like:

all the birds are dead
thousands of birds. the eagle.
on the ground. wrong! sad!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kilroy posted:

I guess everyone in this thread is living in some alt-Earth where only the fabulously wealth would ever bother to move to another country.

Only the wealthy have significant retirement savings, move abroad, and decide to renounce their citizenship to get out of paying taxes in the US.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

duz posted:

Jota posted:

Also there is the foreign earned income exclusion which can allow up to $100,800 to be excluded from your adjusted gross income
Again - once you renounce your total assets are counted as income for that year. Anyone responsibly taking care of retirement poo poo is going to owe money at that point unless they are young enough that they haven't saved much yet. Middle class expatriates of retirement age looking to renounce are going to have a bad time.

I want to know what you people think the US is doing for its citizens that other countries do not and which justifies this taxation scheme.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Armani posted:

it's almost like humans have a shared global interest of shelters, sustenance, and safety.

When you're ready to stop being a tearful nazi, sweetie - you can join us for candles and cake. Take all the time you need. :smith:

Watching open neo-Nazis weep at the possibility of a future where they won't be allowed to purge everyone they hate and dominate the world entirely to honor their whiteness is more than a little satisfying.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Renouncing your U.S. citizenship is deliberately punitively taxed. This is because about 90% of the people who do it are doing it to avoid taxes. The IRS and State Department made the policy choice to err on the side of enforcement because the vast majority of people want to use the process to avoid taxes, but keep staying in the US on a Visa.

You should not renounce your citizenship unless you don't plan to come back. And then do it as early as you possibly can to just take the tax hit now instead of years down the road. Your 401k is a deferred tax device. You owe taxes on it at some point, regardless of where you are. Renouncing just forces you to pay it as income because a 401k is only open to U.S. citizens.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

boner confessor: "if you grew up in a Republican area, you're just airing trivial grievances if you hate Republicans, and if you grew up in a Democratic area you don't know what you're talking about"

sorry I triggered you calling out your red-state fam for the intolerable shitheads they probably are

lol you have serious issues and you should probably avoid using uspol as your hostage/therapist imo

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Bassetking posted:

We're still better than Michigan.

I'll give you guys Cedar Point but otherwise, well

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

computer parts posted:

Only the wealthy have significant retirement savings, move abroad, and decide to renounce their citizenship to get out of paying taxes in the US.
Okay.

computer parts posted:

Only the wealthy have significant retirement savings, move abroad, and decide to renounce their citizenship.
How about you defend this one, because there are plenty of other reasons to do it that non-wealth people do every day, and they're the ones being hit the hardest by how the US does overseas taxation.

Still waiting on a list of whatever the gently caress the US government does for citizens that other countries don't, to justify this.

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

duz posted:

Kilroy should contact his local tax professional. Any half-competent accountant can make him feel better about living abroad as a "normal person." I lived in the UK for a year and made a living wage and received money back on my federal income tax.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Scott Adams also claims to not be a creationist or intelligent design advocate, but paleontology "fails his bullshit detector" and the cartoon show version of Dilbert included a paleontologist presenting a piece of ancient pottery as a fossil. MSNBC has taken the article he read offline, so here's a link to it. To summarize the article, some scientists concluded that some modern human features are examples of convergent evolution. Like a bird's wing and a fly's wing evolved independently, so, too, did certain facial features among pre-humans.

I am still left confused at his view of evolution. It looks like he had the impression that palentologists thought that there was no tree-like behavior in human evolution. By "(great X 1,000) grandmother", I take it to mean he thought paleontologists thought there was only a direct line from a non-human ape ancestor to humans, when tree-like behavior is the case for virtually every other lineage. When he found out that they also think there were ape-like close relatives, it didn't clear up a misconception. He interpreted it as something new. Palentologists were "changing their story".

The comment section of his post is rife with geoscientists imploring him to pick up a paleontology textbook. For starters, it isn't so crazy that you could infer the dietary habits of a creature, if the tooth of an animal like a horse is so different from a carnivore. Then, if you had enough of the skeleton, maybe you could tell that two animals couldn't possibly copulate. We can know with DNA evidence about how genetically dissimilar (like a % similarity) two species are, and use that to yield a final answer when the situation is borderline. So maybe it isn't too crazy, that an expert could see one species' leg bone and another species' leg bone, and conclude from experience "These two leg bones are dissimilar enough that these two animals wouldn't produce fertile offspring."

Scott Adams has been "thinking with his gut", but he proudly said he has a "bullshit detector", so I'll go with "thinking with his long intestine".

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Kilroy posted:

People move overseas for all kinds of reasons, because of marriage or whatever else. It's not just billionaires, for gently caress's sake. They don't deserve to be harassed with reporting requirements that mean they have to hire an accountant to do their complicated US tax returns every year (even though they haven't earned money in the US for most of their adult lives), that mean it's almost impossible in some jurisdictions to get an ordinary bank account (because the banks don't want the hassle of dealing with the FATCA regulations for American-citizen accounts), and so on. All of that just to have the same terrifically awesome privileges that basically every expatriate from anywhere has, like going to their nearest embassy or consulate every few years to renew their passport.

Moving overseas =/= renouncing citizenship

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Trump's obsession with wind farms is amazing if only for how every single problem he's had with his golf course in Scotland he's somehow managed to blame on the wind farm out at sea. Also it causes him to do things like start ranting about how no one in Scotland is as Scottish as he is.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kilroy posted:

How about you defend this one, because there are plenty of other reasons to do it that non-wealth people do every day,

Give specific examples, and how often they occur.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/mj_lee/status/790994888821182464

quote:

Clinton: "It’s going to be a close election – pay no attention to the polls."

Hmmm.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I wish there were good and effective messengers out there defending ACA and ways to improve it. Right now pundits are running wild with lies, rewriting the years around the ACA and saying whatever they want with no one properly battling them.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

There Clinton goes again with her lies. When will she stop lying?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Of course you say this, you want to make sure everyone votes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just common sense - until the game's over, you should never let yourself think of a lead as safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Abuela just doesn't want us to sit on our laurels.

• Locked thread