Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I'm the exact opposite, playing with online strangers is stressful

:yeah:

I've played I think 40 hours of overwatch in solo queue so I'm playing multiplayer games alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

boy are my arms tired posted:

might i interest you in

persona

five

Looks cool but I've never been into the whole turn based combat system. Every once in a while I'll pick one up hoping it might be different but it just doesn't hold my interest (also, why does every jrpg need to be hundreds of hours long? )

I'm actually pretty excited for the new final fantasy though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't like playing in parties because I might decide to just do something else after 20 minutes

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jay Rust posted:

I'm the exact opposite, playing with online strangers is stressful

Overwatch makes me super salty (but it's still really fun anyway), while WoW is super relaxing (most of the time) for me

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

There's too many games coming out all of a sudden, aaaah I need more free time. I wish publishers would stagger releases more but I know they're all trying to get in for the xmas season.

The sooner a game is released the sooner it can go on sale.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Guy Mann posted:

Woah, wisdom.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

PantsBandit posted:

I never play single player games anymore. I don't know what it is but I feel like a switch flipped in my brain around a year ago. Now when I sit down in the evening to play something it's almost always overwatch or something coop that I can play with friends.

Maybe I just need something good to come out and kick me from this funk.

This happened to me when Overwatch came out. I used to play SP stuff nearly exclusively but once Overwatch hit i played that for about 3 months straight along with CoD:BO3.

I'm slowly going back to SP stuff now by playing JRPGs of all things. Used to love them when i was a teenager but i checked out on them in the early 00's. That and stuff for the PSVR.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

Good to hear, Civ 5 was like crack to me at the time so I might have to give this one a go some day.

Sorry for the late response, but I agree with Jay Rust, Civ6 is solid. It's not any more dumbed down than 5 but I think they're both a little dumbed down from 4. The UI has some little bugs and issues that need fixing but it's nothing game-breaking. I also recommend playing on a harder difficulty because like in 5, the AI is on the dumber side.

The Civics and district system are pretty neat. Also, the customized religions make for some varied play.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 25, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

LA Noire was pretty cool as an interactive police drama. The cases were great and writing was legit and the overarching reveal was good. Too bad about the open world but you could also just let your partner drive everywhere and treat getting to the crime scene as a loading screen or something. You still had to do the action scenes though.

I really wanted to love it, but I have the same problem as with Ace Attorney where I know what they want me to do but I don't seem to go about it the same way the writers planned, so I'm constantly told I'm wrong and a fuckup even though I had already figured out the right ultimate conclusion. And that's infuriating.

And then there was that article by one of the devs who said they changed the response options at the last minute without adjusting any of the story dialogue and that explained everything.

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah but that new game smell goes away after awhile.

I know I'm just chasing the dragon but I don't care, gimme that high.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I really wanted to love it, but I have the same problem as with Ace Attorney where I know what they want me to do but I don't seem to go about it the same way the writers planned, so I'm constantly told I'm wrong and a fuckup even though I had already figured out the right ultimate conclusion. And that's infuriating.

And then there was that article by one of the devs who said they changed the response options at the last minute without adjusting any of the story dialogue and that explained everything.
I never finished the game, but I'm assuming that the real killer works for the temp agency which sent a temp bartender to at least 3 of the places where victims were last seen alive. It's like, textbook poo poo and the game never gives you a way to connect these dots.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

PantsBandit posted:

I never play single player games anymore. I don't know what it is but I feel like a switch flipped in my brain around a year ago. Now when I sit down in the evening to play something it's almost always overwatch or something coop that I can play with friends.

Maybe I just need something good to come out and kick me from this funk.

I felt the same way up until a little while ago when I tried out The Banner Saga, which gave me that suspension of disbelief I need to buy into the experience. I know you said you're not into turn based stuff, but I kind of felt like this was the least annoying of that genre so it worked out for me.

Also the LA Noire plot is pretty good, I'm about halfway through. Decided to just watch a let's play after all. Remember that Heavy Rain game? That had a pretty awesome plot, too, come to think of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

I never finished the game, but I'm assuming that the real killer works for the temp agency which sent a temp bartender to at least 3 of the places where victims were last seen alive. It's like, textbook poo poo and the game never gives you a way to connect these dots.

You should finish the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Realizing that stories in videogames don't matter was a liberating experience for me
stories in video games are cool, imo

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I like getting really into a game's story, be it complicated or as simple as "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." This is probably why I don't really like puzzle games, arena games, or multiplayer in general. Welp, that's my story thanks for reading!

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

I love video game stories, and the fact that you can make your own stories with the dynamic events that occur in certain games.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

This is probably why I don't really like puzzle games, arena games, or multiplayer in general. Welp, that's my story thanks for reading!

I think multiplayer really shines when you're playing with a group of friends, though it could be argued that everything is better when it's experienced with good company. All of my favorite multiplayer games are ones where a decent chunk of my friend's group is actively playing the game, even when it's a genre I don't normally love, like MMOs or ARPGs.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 25, 2016

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bloodychill posted:

Sorry for the late response, but I agree with Jay Rust, Civ6 is solid. It's not any more dumbed down than 5 but I think they're both a little dumbed down from 4. The UI has some little bugs and issues that need fixing but it's nothing game-breaking. I also recommend playing on a harder difficulty because like in 5, the AI is on the dumber side.

The Civics and district system are pretty neat. Also, the customized religions make for some varied play.

I always recommend starting on the sort of middle difficulties because, while the AI Civs drive their chariots in circles, you can learn the game. It takes a little bit to figure out districts, amenities, etc., and I think having one run where the AI basically doesn't interfere is nice. You tend to get it sometime around the Industrial Age, and then you just start a new file. One of my complaints about the flaws in the UI is that there are a few things you sort of don't figure out until you learn to hover over in places you wouldn't have thought to, and it's nice to get that learning out of the way when the only ones breathing down your neck are barbarians.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Endorph posted:

people say the last of us is some deep character study of a dude and his daughter, and i almost bought it, but then i realized that i don't need that and i don't care about it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I like getting really into a game's story, be it complicated or as simple as "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." This is probably why I don't really like puzzle games, arena games, or multiplayer in general. Welp, that's my story thanks for reading!

That was a better story than in most videogames.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
It's a rarely discussed fact that both major candidates for the United States presidency are, at least in some part, gamers. They each like to unwind after a hard day campaigning with a little escapism, which is completely understandable for a Joe Nobody like myself.

Hillary Clinton has been known to fire up her laptop while taking a late-night flight back Washington, D.C. and load an old favorite, Dwarf Fortress. Losing may be fun, but she prides herself on the largely self-sustaining Dwarf Megalopolis she's cultivated since 2013. Her accomplishments in the game, unrecognized by all but herself and her industrious dwarves, include numerous underground greenhouses, a well-organized militia with a variety of weapons and training, and a winding maze of death traps for would-be attackers. Aqueducts and rudimentary piping supply fresh water to all levels of her fortress, and in times of war is used to flood the entrances as an effective, if slow, way to soak the competition. Reservoirs of food and water have made winters something that only happens on the outside. Capping off the happy colony is a darker shadow: Clinton has painstakingly designed her utopia to be equipped with simple quarantine methods. If a noble asks for something unreasonable, or a dead kitten has caused an outbreak of insanity, Hillary makes the tough call to have a leverdwarf pull the switch that drops a thick layer of stone between any entries and exits from the affected section. In time, when the situation has calmed down through cooler heads or the slow progress of starvation, special crews of dwarves are tasked with removing the remains and making the area inhabitable once again.

Donald Trump, sticking with the preferred PC system of both candidates, spends most of his scant free time roaming the virtual lands of Second Life. Trump begins most sessions walking around Trump Island, a rock in a digital ocean inaccessible to all but the few with Trump's permission. The halls are empty of life but filled with the highest ticket items available to buy with Linden Bucks, and a few custom pieces financed by cold, hard cash. Gold pillars, gold teddy bears, and gold chandeliers casting gold light onto gold rugs might be a jarring sight for some, but for Donald, it's just a home away from home. Of course, Second Life is about more than just having the best and the most; it's about socializing. When Trump leaves his island to commune with the simple folk, he makes a hard decision as to what avatar to best represent himself that day. One is a muscled figure, about 6'5" with a golden head of hair and a designer business suit almost ripping at the seams trying to contain the man inside. Another favorite: A colossal god, easily the equivalent of seven stories tall and made of pure light. As much as he longs to parade around his kingdom as the massive deity, each step it takes checks the permissions of a dozen districts on the mainland. This usually results in unexpected teleportation as $$TheDonald$$ has been banned by nearly 40% of active user spaces.

Our reporter also reached out the Gary Johnson and Jill Stein. Johnson said that he enjoys challenging puzzlers like Angry Birds, and Stein stated that she "couldn't get enough of those Mario Boys."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

people say the last of us is some deep character study of a dude and his daughter, and i almost bought it, but then i realized that i don't need that and i don't care about it
yeah, the last of us is bad

imo story can enhance gameplay, and story can be expressed in ways that never interfere with the gameplay. like having a boss show up a couple of times with new moves each time you fight him or smth. without any dialogue you start to kind of see that boss as a rival, and if the encounters are kept engaging you start to look forward to the next one, and then when the game makes it clear that this one is the final fight with that dude (because of new music + dramatic lighting or w/e) you get into the fight more. that's a story. i like some games with big stories told mostly through cutscenes and text and stuff, but a game can have plot/character beats without pausing gameplay for even a second. so i can get not liking triple a Story Games but i dont think it's fair to dismiss the idea of story in games out of hand since even if you're a gameplay first kind of person, some basic visual storytelling can make a game more enjoyable and exciting.

im gay.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

LawfulWaffle posted:

It's a rarely discussed fact that both major candidates for the United States presidency are, at least in some part, gamers. They each like to unwind after a hard day campaigning with a little escapism, which is completely understandable for a Joe Nobody like myself.

Hillary Clinton has been known to fire up her laptop while taking a late-night flight back Washington, D.C. and load an old favorite, Dwarf Fortress. Losing may be fun, but she prides herself on the largely self-sustaining Dwarf Megalopolis she's cultivated since 2013. Her accomplishments in the game, unrecognized by all but herself and her industrious dwarves, include numerous underground greenhouses, a well-organized militia with a variety of weapons and training, and a winding maze of death traps for would-be attackers. Aqueducts and rudimentary piping supply fresh water to all levels of her fortress, and in times of war is used to flood the entrances as an effective, if slow, way to soak the competition. Reservoirs of food and water have made winters something that only happens on the outside. Capping off the happy colony is a darker shadow: Clinton has painstakingly designed her utopia to be equipped with simple quarantine methods. If a noble asks for something unreasonable, or a dead kitten has caused an outbreak of insanity, Hillary makes the tough call to have a leverdwarf pull the switch that drops a thick layer of stone between any entries and exits from the affected section. In time, when the situation has calmed down through cooler heads or the slow progress of starvation, special crews of dwarves are tasked with removing the remains and making the area inhabitable once again.

Donald Trump, sticking with the preferred PC system of both candidates, spends most of his scant free time roaming the virtual lands of Second Life. Trump begins most sessions walking around Trump Island, a rock in a digital ocean inaccessible to all but the few with Trump's permission. The halls are empty of life but filled with the highest ticket items available to buy with Linden Bucks, and a few custom pieces financed by cold, hard cash. Gold pillars, gold teddy bears, and gold chandeliers casting gold light onto gold rugs might be a jarring sight for some, but for Donald, it's just a home away from home. Of course, Second Life is about more than just having the best and the most; it's about socializing. When Trump leaves his island to commune with the simple folk, he makes a hard decision as to what avatar to best represent himself that day. One is a muscled figure, about 6'5" with a golden head of hair and a designer business suit almost ripping at the seams trying to contain the man inside. Another favorite: A colossal god, easily the equivalent of seven stories tall and made of pure light. As much as he longs to parade around his kingdom as the massive deity, each step it takes checks the permissions of a dozen districts on the mainland. This usually results in unexpected teleportation as $$TheDonald$$ has been banned by nearly 40% of active user spaces.

Our reporter also reached out the Gary Johnson and Jill Stein. Johnson said that he enjoys challenging puzzlers like Angry Birds, and Stein stated that she "couldn't get enough of those Mario Boys."

And Bernie Sanders? Bernie Sanders plays Doom.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Mordja posted:

And Bernie Sanders? Bernie Sanders plays Doom.

On a 32X.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jill Stein: I only play games that are designed to run in Linux.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Tim Kaine has left IdleQuest running on his home PC for the last 16 years, but if you ask him he's say his favorite game is frisbee with the kids.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Video game stories are enjoyable to me personally. They give me something more to play for, to see what's around the next turn. The notion that video games shouldn't have stories because games are toys or can't do them well may hold true for some people but let us game story babies enjoy our silliness instead of constantly being a dick about it. I like my Last of Us, Mass Effect 2, New Vegas, and Final Fantasy 4 shenanigans and consider them classics and constantly whining or saying "it hasn't gotten better since Zelda or Doom" ain't gonna change that.

Bicyclops posted:

I always recommend starting on the sort of middle difficulties because, while the AI Civs drive their chariots in circles, you can learn the game. It takes a little bit to figure out districts, amenities, etc., and I think having one run where the AI basically doesn't interfere is nice. You tend to get it sometime around the Industrial Age, and then you just start a new file. One of my complaints about the flaws in the UI is that there are a few things you sort of don't figure out until you learn to hover over in places you wouldn't have thought to, and it's nice to get that learning out of the way when the only ones breathing down your neck are barbarians.

That's a good point. It's what I did on Prince. There are a lot of little gotchas in it and it's good to do a run where you have some leeway.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think one of the major problems is that stories in video games are often presented in cutscenes presented like movies when often times the people making the game don't really know how to make a good movie, or the story they're trying to tell doesn't actually work in that context.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

In Training posted:

I think one of the major problems is that stories in video games are often presented in cutscenes presented like movies when often times the people making the game don't really know how to make a good movie, or the story they're trying to tell doesn't actually work in that context.

One of game series most guilty of this (Metal Gear Solid) is also one of the most universally beloved franchises in gaming so I'm not sure it's actually a major problem.

Hell, same for Final Fantasy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

Yeah, it's like the story elements and the "game" elements are two separate things. One of the reasons I liked the doofy Wii Silent Hill that re-imagines the first game is that, clunky controls and all, the controls of the game and the player interaction is a story element. It STILL wants to be a movie and isn't as good at it, but a lot of games feel like amateur films interspersed throughout button pressing and leveling up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bloodychill posted:

This is one of the worst examples, actually. Like, people who clearly didn't know how to direct voice actors did the cut scenes for Final Fantasy X (and hell, a different company did most of the cut scene animations), plus, it's super weird that in every Final Fantasy game, you get right to the end of the story and then spend 40 hours doing sidequests that are almost all about the numbers and statistics. It's still a good game, but the method of storytelling suffers because of it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

bloodychill posted:

One of game series most guilty of this (Metal Gear Solid) is also one of the most universally beloved franchises in gaming so I'm not sure it's actually a major problem.

Right, it's not all bad, and MGS is an example of a game that does cutscenes well because the camerawork is aided by the fact that it's a "fake" camera, and a lot of the shots utilized are extremely difficult or downright impossible with physical equipment; its animation. Final Fantasy X is a counter-example of people having no clue what they were doing because 95% of the in-engine cutscenes are completely still shots of people flapping their lips, and then awesome CGI cutscenes that were clearly made an animation studio or team.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MGSV is the perfect development of that style because gameplay drifts into cutscene drifts into gameplay and its all presented as one bit of handheld camera work even though its craning and flying and tracking and refocusing and dilating time. It's a monumental piece of work, before considering all the game they designed around the scenes too.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Shame about the MGS plots though

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

This is one of the worst examples, actually. Like, people who clearly didn't know how to direct voice actors did the cut scenes for Final Fantasy X (and hell, a different company did most of the cut scene animations), plus, it's super weird that in every Final Fantasy game, you get right to the end of the story and then spend 40 hours doing sidequests that are almost all about the numbers and statistics. It's still a good game, but the method of storytelling suffers because of it.

I forget the article, but there was one where the translation head for FFX asked the original director about the awkwardness of certain scenes, and the director basically said, "Yeah, that stuff was awkward and weird in the original version, that's not a result of poor translation/interpretation"

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

FanaticalMilk posted:

I forget the article, but there was one where the translation head for FFX asked the original director about the awkwardness of certain scenes, and the director basically said, "Yeah, that stuff was awkward and weird in the original version, that's not a result of poor translation/interpretation"

I thought it was the result of having to keep each voice line the exact same length as the Japanese lines since if they were off it would cause a crash.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://gamerant.com/la-noire-different-interrogation-options-tao-115919/

LA Noire was written with 3 options; Coax, Force, and Lie.

This was changed into Truth, Doubt, and Lie at the last second.

Coax -> Truth
Force -> Doubt
Lie = Lie

Which is why when you "doubt" something, which sounds like maybe pushing them a little bit, usually involves Cole going psycho and berating the poo poo out of the witness, which usually is exactly what you don't want when you choose "doubt". Screwed up the whole game for me.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jay Rust posted:

Shame about the MGS plots though

You will regret your words and deeds.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Endorph posted:

yeah, the last of us is bad

imo story can enhance gameplay, and story can be expressed in ways that never interfere with the gameplay. like having a boss show up a couple of times with new moves each time you fight him or smth. without any dialogue you start to kind of see that boss as a rival, and if the encounters are kept engaging you start to look forward to the next one, and then when the game makes it clear that this one is the final fight with that dude (because of new music + dramatic lighting or w/e) you get into the fight more. that's a story. i like some games with big stories told mostly through cutscenes and text and stuff, but a game can have plot/character beats without pausing gameplay for even a second. so i can get not liking triple a Story Games but i dont think it's fair to dismiss the idea of story in games out of hand since even if you're a gameplay first kind of person, some basic visual storytelling can make a game more enjoyable and exciting.

im gay.

A thing I really like about Gone Home is that the story is a puzzle, it's a really nice combination of story + game mechanics. Like the only game mechanics in Gone Home are looking at objects and listening to audiologs, and yet with both of those elements the same puzzle is still there. You don't always find the logs in the "correct" order so you're trying to work out what's actually going on in your little sister's life, and then both the rest of your sister's character and the entire two stories about your mum and dad are puzzles where you have to figure out what's going on by searching rooms for objects and lining up dates and events on letters, and if you miss an object, sometimes you can fill in a blank and sometimes you can't. I found it a really fun puzzle that you don't often see in video games! I think because if you put something like that within a larger video game, there'd be a point later on where you'd have to input the answer back into a system like a dialogue choice or whatever, and puzzles of gone home are just sort of figuring out who you are and what's going on, and although they are satisfying to solve they don't give you neat answers that fit into dialogue choice boxes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FanaticalMilk posted:

It's also bad direction a lot of the time, though, because many of the voice actors are very, very good in other stuff and really bad in FFX

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey so I'm looking for a good ARPG. I played a bunch of Path of Exile and really really loved it except for the fact that it's stupidly grindy and time-intensive. I liked how much flexibility you had to build your character, how tightly designed the economy was, and how the mechanics tended to interact with each other in cool and interesting ways. Is there a good ARPG like that that you don't have to sink hundred+ hours into to be informed that your character isn't quite good enough to do all the content unless you grind for another hundred hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

StashAugustine posted:

Hey so I'm looking for a good ARPG. I played a bunch of Path of Exile and really really loved it except for the fact that it's stupidly grindy and time-intensive. I liked how much flexibility you had to build your character, how tightly designed the economy was, and how the mechanics tended to interact with each other in cool and interesting ways. Is there a good ARPG like that that you don't have to sink hundred+ hours into to be informed that your character isn't quite good enough to do all the content unless you grind for another hundred hours?

Most people are probably gonna suggest you play Grim Dawn, but I'm including myself as one of those people.

• Locked thread