Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

boy are my arms tired posted:

Thread, I'm feeling like playing a dumb build base war game, like Game of War or Empire: Three Kingdoms. What is the new hotness? IAP is okay, the less egregious the better though.

I haven't played it but Transformers: Earth Wars is apparently kind of decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

mrkillboy posted:

I haven't played it but Transformers: Earth Wars is apparently kind of decent.

never was a huge fan of transformers sadly, so the screenshots aren't really exciting me

but, following the "similar games" thing I'm checking out the Sega Empires game and I think this'll scratch my itch for now. They're apparently working on another empire-builder game but its in closed beta at the moment.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Solitaire Decked Out is out. It's free. And that means ad-free, too. It has IAPs from $0.99-$1.99 to buy themed card decks, but that's optional, as you can earn coins to unlock them with. Android Police gave it a glowing review.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

I've been playing Solitaire: DO for a week and I like it a lot! It's got a great pace of play and nice, sharp graphics

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Kheldarn posted:

Solitaire Decked Out is out. It's free. And that means ad-free, too. It has IAPs from $0.99-$1.99 to buy themed card decks, but that's optional, as you can earn coins to unlock them with. Android Police gave it a glowing review.

I want to play this but it overrides my music even when sound is turned off in the app. I've noticed this happening a lot more recently than it used to (lazy programmers???) Anyone know how to fix it so I can listen to music and play?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

So I got a pixel xl and I'm trying to tax it until it breaks, any intensive games I can throw at it?

Maybe even dumb physics stuff?

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

thehoodie posted:

I want to play this but it overrides my music even when sound is turned off in the app. I've noticed this happening a lot more recently than it used to (lazy programmers???) Anyone know how to fix it so I can listen to music and play?

It stops my podcasts from playing when I open it but I can hit play from the notifications pull-down. Can you try a different media player?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any good Freecell games done like Decked out? I have one game, but it's fairly basic, though it does keep track of your score, and I think has leaderboards.

Freecell will always be better than Solitaire in every way :colbert:

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

The Duggler posted:

So I got a pixel xl and I'm trying to tax it until it breaks, any intensive games I can throw at it?

Riptide GP: Renegade crashes on my S7 Edge every time I try to play on the highest graphical settings so that might a good place to start.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Nemico posted:

It stops my podcasts from playing when I open it but I can hit play from the notifications pull-down. Can you try a different media player?

This works, but it's not ideal having to manually pause from the menu and then restart every time I get a text message or something.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

mrkillboy posted:

Riptide GP: Renegade crashes on my S7 Edge every time I try to play on the highest graphical settings so that might a good place to start.

Didn't crash, looked pretty great though. Was definitely 20ish fps on average.

My phone is also on fire now

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Space Marshals 2, the sequel to one of my favorite mobile games is out as an unreleased beta. Interestingly, compared to the original (and even the iOS version) its now F2P with ads but comes with a premium unlock IAP.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 25, 2016

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Oh Sir! The Insult SImulator is a new word game where you build insults and hurl them against an opponent like a fighting game. It's actually kind of impressive; everything is voice acted and some of the sentences you come up with can actually be pretty spectacular.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

mrkillboy posted:

Oh Sir! The Insult SImulator is a new word game where you build insults and hurl them against an opponent like a fighting game. It's actually kind of impressive; everything is voice acted and some of the sentences you come up with can actually be pretty spectacular.

Can I tell someone they fight like a cow?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Can I tell someone they fight like a cow?

Haven't seen that one yet but I called a guy an ugly chav who still uses Windows Vista.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Been playing Infinity Blade Saga lately and it really kicks rear end. I wouldnt recommend it to anyone but a hardcore Infinity Blade fan due to the fact that some of the text is in Chinese, but it doesnt interfere with the gameplay at all so its mostly an aesthetic thing.

Gameplay: https://youtu.be/OWLLRjwDVPw

Install guide + DL links in video description: https://youtu.be/jGvtwXFUqKY

After the tutorial it'll ask you to login via one of two methods. The first requires a Chinese phone #, so use WeChat instead which is faster and free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tencent.mm

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

mrkillboy posted:

Haven't seen that one yet but I called a guy an ugly chav who still uses Windows Vista.

hosed up

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Been playing Infinity Blade Saga lately and it really kicks rear end. I wouldnt recommend it to anyone but a hardcore Infinity Blade fan due to the fact that some of the text is in Chinese, but it doesnt interfere with the gameplay at all so its mostly an aesthetic thing.

Gameplay: https://youtu.be/OWLLRjwDVPw

Install guide + DL links in video description: https://youtu.be/jGvtwXFUqKY

After the tutorial it'll ask you to login via one of two methods. The first requires a Chinese phone #, so use WeChat instead which is faster and free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tencent.mm

So its from Chair makers of very pretty but lovely games. And i need WeChat or a chinese #. How much better is this than their ipad fare?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Telltale's Batman game is finally out for Android.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone have anything to say about Don't Starve?

EDIT: Removed a bunch of stuff, because apparently there are reviews up now on the play store. Still... anyone here have anything good/bad to say about it?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 26, 2016

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone have anything to say about Don't Starve?

EDIT: Removed a bunch of stuff, because apparently there are reviews up now on the play store. Still... anyone here have anything good/bad to say about it?

I grabbed it on sale recently. It's a great concept and well executed, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I found the gameplay too abstruse and unforgiving, often dying with little understanding of why or what I should even be doing.

Crashlands is done in a very similar "dumped in alien environment to craft your way up the food chain" way, but it is a more lighthearted, tongue-in-cheek execution. I liked Crashlands a lot, though the middle of the game can be a slog.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Enigma posted:

I grabbed it on sale recently. It's a great concept and well executed, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I found the gameplay too abstruse and unforgiving, often dying with little understanding of why or what I should even be doing.

Oh, I probably should have mentioned that I've played it on Steam, really liked it, and was just curious as to how the Android version holds up. Thanks, though. I assume by well-executed, you mean that you didn't feel that you were playing a bad port?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh, I probably should have mentioned that I've played it on Steam, really liked it, and was just curious as to how the Android version holds up. Thanks, though. I assume by well-executed, you mean that you didn't feel that you were playing a bad port?

I actually played it on an iPad, not android, and haven't played it on PC. But, if I hadn't already known otherwise, I would not have been able to tell it was a port.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Junkie Disease posted:

So its from Chair makers of very pretty but lovely games. And i need WeChat or a chinese #. How much better is this than their ipad fare?

I too, am interested in these answers. The game looks fun, but that isn't always necessarily true of actual gameplay.

mrkillboy posted:

Telltale's Batman game is finally out for Android.

"Your device is not compatible with this version"

I have an S7 Edge though? :argh:

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 26, 2016

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

boy are my arms tired posted:

I'm checking out the Sega Empires game and I think this'll scratch my itch for now. They're apparently working on another empire-builder game but its in closed beta at the moment.

i know i'm the only one in this thread seeking this, but this game didn't really do it for me, so i spent the past few days trying every Game of War style game on the market

Of them all, the one with the least lovely IAP system, but good castle building / alliance / etc system is King of Avalon. It's still IAP heavy, and boooooy are there some dumb ways you can waste money, but I've been able to get into the game, an alliance, and have fun building my base / raiding scrubs / customizing my dragon without spending.

It's worth a shot if you are interested in these games, but uh yeah there are some mega whales in these games lmao

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Heroes Must Die is kicking my rear end so hard

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

AnonSpore posted:

I and a few others posted some strategies for this one earlier in the thread, so that should give you a starting point.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Are the weekly events in shadow wars always a few levels above you to ramp up the challenge?
Trying to grab the horde and while I'm level 27, and been leveling as i grind it, everything is still 2+ levels above me

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Are the weekly events in shadow wars always a few levels above you to ramp up the challenge?
Trying to grab the horde and while I'm level 27, and been leveling as i grind it, everything is still 2+ levels above me

There's a shadow wars thread here. Ive only been playing during this event, but it and the daily quests definitely scale with you and scale harder as you advance. I'm level 34 and giving up at 19/20 because the last stage is L42 for me and I don't have the team for it, plus none of the friend units available to me are overpowered enough to carry me through it

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Junkie Disease posted:

If you have an ipad or an IOS device capable of playing the Infinity Blade games then i'd go with that. If you're stuck with android and you want to play Infinity Blade then Saga is the best option for the moment.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Enigma posted:

I and a few others posted some strategies for this one earlier in the thread, so that should give you a starting point.

I eventually beat it with a metric shitton of spring and bolt traps and it was still a close thing, as in bear trap cd comes up just in time for me to put it on the last square before the core before one of those loving dwarf things sneaks into it. :toot:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Spacing out lightning traps > than many lightning traps in the same area triggering off the same target.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Should I be putting all my levelups into gems or money? Or does it not matter much either way?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

There is so many solutions that I don't want to box you into just one. But as of late im doing like 20 into money, I'm sure ill flip flop on it for fun later.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

AnonSpore posted:

Should I be putting all my levelups into gems or money? Or does it not matter much either way?

Er, if you mean traps when you say gems I say put all the gems that let you reach level 5/10 in traps you get good mileage out of in said traps and the rest in money. 15 should be saved for traps you can make all heroes pass by since you can only have one tier 4 trap of each type outside endless runs, and past that gets very expensive fast. Hearts are a waste; if you need them use the breeze rune, and if that doesn't help changing your loadout/checking your tactics will do you more good than more hearts because if your setup leaks chances are good the leak starts long before you're two or three heroes shy of finishing. Cooldown items do get extra benefits if you put enough gems into them, but you need at least level 10 to see what they are and I feel much safer being able to upgrade traps to tier 3 than having to rely on the cooldown items to keep things contained.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

That solitaire game posted a page or two back is a solid app. However, I have already uninstalled it, because it only has Klondike :/

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
PinOut is a new game from the devs behind Smash Hit that can kind of be described as pinball meets an endless runner (you basically keep trying to hit the ball up a never-ending table against a time limit). It's pretty great and looks quite good too, especially if you're into the whole Tron/neon nightmare type aesthetic. It's also quite easy to zone out playing this thing.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

"Your device is not compatible with this version"

I have an S7 Edge though? :argh:

It shows up compatible with my one, though I have the international version with the Exynos chip which might explain it.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 27, 2016

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

mrkillboy posted:

PinOut is a new game from the devs behind Smash Hit that can kind of be described as pinball meets an endless runner (you basically keep trying to hit the ball up a never-ending table against a time limit). It's pretty great and looks quite good too, especially if you're into the whole Tron/neon nightmare type aesthetic. It's also quite easy to zone out playing this thing.

It's very pretty but I'm not sure I like it. The "board" mechanics are too simple and the physics feel weird for a pinball game.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

gmq posted:

It's very pretty but I'm not sure I like it. The "board" mechanics are too simple and the physics feel weird for a pinball game.

You're right, I didn't really notice how weird the ball moves until you pointed it out (I'm going with the excuse that it's "space pinball"). It does seem to throw in a few new mechanics and obstacles as you progress however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

I should have taken a screenshot of my setup. I basically was funneling everything through that top opening and I made a checkerboard of spring traps facing upwards and slime traps. In the walls were either rapid fire darts or the big darts, I can't remember the name of the trap right now.

The fully upgraded slime trap does tons of damage and when you put a slime trap before a spring it seems to make it so that more units will pile up on it at one time.

Launching everything into the abyss is very fun and when you perfect the level it feels so so good