Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

Hahaha cool

I'm trying to fathom what it must be like to hate a group of people more than pedophiles and now I'm really lolling

well pedophiles are one thing but Derek Smart said some mean things about a video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Alan Smithee posted:

much like the Trump voters, a lot of these guys secretly think it should be okay to touch ephebos

HAHA sick trump burn bro

Norefund14days
Feb 2, 2016

NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU PARP IN SPACE.

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, I'm going to be doing that this weekend. I have a list of people I am going to issue challenges to.

Keeping in mind I am new to SA, what is a mod challenge?

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Derek Smart molested Star Citizen! With his scrutiny.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

by the way derek if someone comes to you shopping some dirt about sandi, don't even come close to getting involved

its either a troll or its real

those options both suck, just stay the gently caress out of it

They do that all the time. I discard it out of hand. Thing is, I ALWAYS get stuff like that vetted through trusted sources. Even the material that I'm sitting on - and which has been triple vetted - I have refrained from making public as of yet because it will impact several people's jobs, as has happened in the past.

There is always the right time. I'm not in this for the lols or to hurt people's livelihood. For me, it will always be about accountability and vindication. Though, just for the sheer hell of it, I will laugh out loud at Shitizens once the final curtain is pulled back. They have no clue. The E.L.E which I wrote about back in April, is in full swing and remains unabated. It's only a matter of time now.

The 2000 or so people who kept giving them money, and which has prolonged the predicted collapse, have basically thrown money into a furnace. And they will never end up with the game they paid for.

bill_murray
Apr 27, 2016

cixorez posted:

Since soon it's that time of the year again...

Vanillekipferl recipe - http://imgur.com/gallery/r0sQU

I'd wager it's the best thing we ever came up with cookie-wise - if done propperly
Since the recipie is ok and the pics give you a good clue but the execution is somewhat lacking...

-> Some sidenotes (or how I learned it from Granny - she's 96 now and still makes several plates full every christmas)

--
Always use walnuts and/or hazelnuts instead of almonds - trust me on that one, it's sort of a texture thing and tastes better too

You could buy a dried Vanilla fruit and put it into a jar of powdered sugar some weeks before starting this but vanilla sugar is fine too

After prepping the batter put it into a cold room/fridge over night - not just an hour or so!

There are numerous benefits if you do it like this, the least one being the batter doesn't break that easily when handled later on
The only downside: you have to spend 10mins 1day prior to baking

Next day take it out and let it warm up half an hour before you start working with it
Batter should look like this and still feel slightly cool to the touch but not freezing cold and can be formed into crescents easily without breaking

Also don't start from little lumps - form a string and cut it like this instead

Then put them in the oven and watch it like a hawk
The part about getting/tasting burnt fast isn't an exaggeration - 10-12min tops depending on thickness - it's really the only thing that can go wrong very fast

--
¡¡¡¡¡¡ Now don't you dare eating them after you just baked 'em !!!!!!
--

Can't stress that point enough... (hence the dozen exclamation marks so everyone knows it's insane to do so)
Gran used to hide them away somewhere unfindable in the house when I was a kid - other cookies simply didn't compare so no worries there

Maybe 1 as a contrast to the endproduct if you really have to taste them fresh off the plate (like I simply had to the first time too)
Still - your tummy might not agree with the fresh product anyway and they most likely will taste like warm sawdust (you have been warned like I was...)

Let them cool down then put them into a tin box (where they can breath a bit so no super airtight containers)

for at least a week or two until they become soft and crumbly
--

At which point you may invite some friends over or bring some to work and let the battle for Vanillekipferl commence...

Can we stop with the recipes already

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, I'm going to be doing that this weekend. I have a list of people I am going to issue challenges to.

Quoting to prevent you from pulling a Croberts.

2 weeks!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Marching Powder posted:

That's a really long way to say that Derek Smart is right and the game as promised can't be made, especially in the frankenengine and that's why literally everything is comically broken.

Yeah. Yet, none of them can quite bring themselves to admit it. This despite the fact that I warned them about this back in July 2015.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

TheAgent posted:

by the way derek if someone comes to you shopping some dirt about sandi, don't even come close to getting involved

its either a troll or its real

those options both suck, just stay the gently caress out of it

It's not a troll

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

bill_murray posted:

I'm the 26 pages of posts between this recipe and you quoting it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

D_Smart posted:

Precisely. And all things considered, remember that "Birds of a feather, flock together". As I've said before, /r/DS exists because I allow it. And I allow it because it's where they are all quarantined. It's a version of "Fantastic Shitizens. And where to find them"

Does anyone really believe this? If derek could shut down r/ds it would have happened already. No way he could pass up that kind of opportunity.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 26, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

bill_murray posted:

But we only just barely got them restarted after a far too long hiatus.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sickening posted:

Does anyone really believe this? If derek could shut down r/ds it would have happened already. No way he could pass up that kind of opportunity.

Part of the fun of the Star Citizen ARG is that all of the major players are full of poo poo.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

D_Smart posted:

They do that all the time. I discard it out of hand. Thing is, I ALWAYS get stuff like that vetted through trusted sources. Even the material that I'm sitting on - and which has been triple vetted - I have refrained from making public as of yet because it will impact several people's jobs, as has happened in the past.

The quicker any of the "innocent" people left leave CIG and get new jobs the better. And most of the top devs are now "in" on the fraud in my book.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

The Fuzzy Modem stuff isn't even a shock, seriously, hands up who is even surprised.

Look at these guys, grown loving adults dressing up as Bunny Rabbits with big floppy ears, dick pics sent to staff at CIG and covered up, death threats sent to Streetroller (which he handled with grace and style), Ben Lesnick's depressing and embarrassing website which wasn't taken down when it came to light and a bunch of retards shilling it everywhere relentlessly.

I sat down last night to transcribe a 10FTC in which Chris Roberts (liar) talks about Squadron 42. You know what, I actually started to feel sick and turned it off.

The reason that the Fuzzy Modem stuff is relevant to Star Citizen is because it isn't a loving surprise to any of us on here who have followed or engaged with their sick community.

:same:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MilesK posted:

Derek Smart molested Star Citizen! With his scrutiny.

It's when a mod publically challenges someone in a thread to do something stupid/disgusting/funny/demeaning and provide proof or otherwise they get banned.

Look for threads with [mod challenge] on their names. Some of them are pretty funny.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sickening posted:

Derek does. Isn't that more than enough? (and funnier).

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

EightAce posted:

It's not a troll

This sounds interesting.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Fuzzy Modem doesn't represent the SC community any more than Caro represents Something Awful. What he does represent is a horribly hosed up situation where a child was victimized over the course of several years, and a ridiculously unfortunate affiliation to CIG given how visible he was and how much he espoused a friendship with the executive team.

Personally I am far more amused by the possibility of Sandi finding out about this via Derek (and the subsequent epic shitstorm).

well I did get a text yesterday that the LA office is now aware of it. As they haven't said anything yet, I sent a Tweet to David this morning

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/791290357006884864

tbh, I don't expect them to address it. I mean, you saw what happened with the Lesnick website. Not only did they NOT address it, but he came out with a piss-poor non-apology riddled with lies.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

EightAce posted:

Hey did Lazrin come back and continue to explain hand crafted instanced procedurally generated asset creation ? When it comes to tech and game development that guy knows his poo poo

No. He's been distracted by defending a pedo.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

bill_murray posted:

no.

Pickled Beets

Ingredients:
7 lbs of 2- to 2-1/2-inch diameter beets
4 cups cider vinegar (5 percent)
1-1/2 teaspoons canning or pickling salt
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
2 cinnamon sticks
12 whole cloves
4 to 6 onions (2- to 2-1/2-inch diameter) if desired

Prep:
Trim off beet tops, leaving 1 inch of stem and roots to prevent bleeding of color. Wash thoroughly. Sort for size. Cover similar sizes together with boiling water and cook until tender (about 25 to 30 minutes). Caution: Drain and discard liquid. Cool beets. Trim off roots and stems and slip off skins. Slice into 1/4-inch slices. Peel and thinly slice onions. Combine vinegar, salt, sugar, and fresh water. Put spices in cheesecloth bag and add to vinegar mixture. Bring to a boil. Add beets and onions. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove spice bag. Fill jars with beets and onions, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Add hot vinegar solution, allowing 1/2-inch headspace.

Process:
Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner for 30 minutes (depending on altitude, add time according to NCHFP guidelines for your elevation). Remove from canner and allow to dry on a rack unmolested anywhere from 12-24 hours, leaving 1 inch of space between cans. Store in cool dry place out of direct sunlight.

Yield:
About 8 pints

e: personally, I leave out the onions and I think you should too. But they're an option.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sickening posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/59drtp/derek_smart_on_twitter_my_latest_star_citizen/d98ix61/

quote:

For the record:
He's charged with 13 counts of abuse.
He has been to 2 trials.
He is in jail - without bail.
He is awaiting the sentencing trial. Which means that he is going to end up a convicted felon and sex offender; and there's no way around it.
Those of you having a hard time understanding why I chose to add this item to my missive, are basically playing "The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Even if he's a pedo" game.
I wrote an entire section in which I pointed out similar abhorrent behavior by another Star Citizen community member, as well as a CIG employee. THAT was part of the point. It had NOTHING to do with Star Citizen "the game-that-can-never-be" because it wasn't about that.
The Polaris ship, is clearly from his inspiration and which CIG are now selling for $750, over two years later after his entry in The Great Starship. Someone put together a handy post for you.
That's the connection to Star Citizen. You don't have to like it, but nobody cares. So ignore it all you want; it changes nothing.
The irony of a bunch of people parked on a hate-Reddit dedicated to attacks, harassment etc - against ONE person, while crying foul, never gets old. As I've said before, this sub-Reddit exists partly because I allow it; and because at least 2 of the mods have been quite diligent in keeping the crazies among you from getting it closed for violating Reddit guidelines. As long as it exists, we know where you all are. It's like a quarantine zone. And furthermore.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lol holy poo poo

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/59fg2w/request_for_26star_marine_status_update_with/

TinyWeeny posted:

Here's your status update:
Engineering & Code
Star Marine shares the same branch of code as the rest of SC now. Every time we make improvements to FPS in our builds, we're getting closer to a fully realized Star Marine mode!
Currently, we're working on improving the instancing system that will allow players to move from location to location and game mode to game mode seamlessly, without long loading screens. This portion of the netcode will be very important for the future of Star Marine, as players will be joining and leaving games at a fairly fast pace.

Player Locomotion/Animations
Player movement is still pretty bad. We're having trouble making motion feel smooth and we're working on making weapon handling feel less clunky.

Level Design
We know you never got to see Gold Horizon, but guess what!? We're making some other levels too! We needed to make a small 4 vs 4 map because the netcode is not so great right now. We still can't get over 30 fps with that many more players, because of how our object system works. But hey, we're working to improve that! You get small maps for now, but at least you'll get to play, amigright!?

Game Design
Like we said last time; we want Star Marine to be a reflection of how gameplay works in the rest of the game. This means that Star Marine will be released when we have a functioning FPS system in the PU. It's not just a standalone module anymore... it's an extension of the same game and the same build!

Weapons & Gadgets
Yeah we've been working on these, but they're part of SQ42 too, so you don't get to see them. We give you some concept art every year or so. That's enough right?

Blockers
Squadron 42 - We're pretty much focusing on SQ42 first. We need to release a product so that one guy will stop tweeting about us, all day, every day. But hey... FPS is part of SQ42 right? So techinically, we're working on Star Marine and SQ42 at the same time!

200+ upvotes, gold, top comment in thread

soooo close to self-awareness

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

a whole buncha crows posted:

«...and furthermore the Star Citizen community must be destroyed.»

+42 lollipops

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

no.

Pickled Beets

Ingredients:
7 lbs of 2- to 2-1/2-inch diameter beets
4 cups cider vinegar (5 percent)
1-1/2 teaspoons canning or pickling salt
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
2 cinnamon sticks
12 whole cloves
4 to 6 onions (2- to 2-1/2-inch diameter) if desired

Prep:
Trim off beet tops, leaving 1 inch of stem and roots to prevent bleeding of color. Wash thoroughly. Sort for size. Cover similar sizes together with boiling water and cook until tender (about 25 to 30 minutes). Caution: Drain and discard liquid. Cool beets. Trim off roots and stems and slip off skins. Slice into 1/4-inch slices. Peel and thinly slice onions. Combine vinegar, salt, sugar, and fresh water. Put spices in cheesecloth bag and add to vinegar mixture. Bring to a boil. Add beets and onions. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove spice bag. Fill jars with beets and onions, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Add hot vinegar solution, allowing 1/2-inch headspace.

Process:
Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner for 30 minutes (depending on altitude, add time according to NCHFP guidelines for your elevation). Remove from canner and allow to dry on a rack unmolested anywhere from 12-24 hours, leaving 1 inch of space between cans. Store in cool dry place out of direct sunlight.

Yield:
About 8 pints

e: personally, I leave out the onions and I think you should too. But they're an option.

Here in Sweden we do this with herring, can recommend

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Again, if you had any way to get rid of that subreddit it would be gone. I don't believe you for a second when you say "partly", you either have the means or you don't.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

lol holy poo poo

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/59fg2w/request_for_26star_marine_status_update_with/

200+ upvotes, gold, top comment in thread

soooo close to self-awareness

I'm the 10+ unironic requests for source

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

CrazyTolradi posted:

I'm not a psychologist, but I think it really just comes down to the escapism Star Trek offers these people. Look at how the hard core Trek fans do up their living rooms into loving starship bridges and crap. What other group of fans that we know of like to do their living rooms basements up as the insides of spaceships?

It's also important to note how mentally 'out of it' some of these people can be. I have friends in psychology, and some of the cases they deal with are legitimately frightening, not because the people are violent, but because their ability to distinguish between *dreams* and reality is so broken. We're talking people who honestly believe stuff like Star Trek is real, because they can't discern between reality and fiction. Escapism is also a coping mechanism, so people who suffer heavily from anxiety or learning disabilities tend to cling to hobbies like that like a life rope. Pedophiles tend to suffer from some of the same afflictions, so it's really not surprising that they show up a lot in such communities. The people in those communities also tend to be very excepting of deviance because they desperately need to feel part of a group. Like we've said a million times in this thread, Star Citizen is like a cult, and cults work because they prey off of people who are unable to fulfill some of the more complex social needs people have. They start to rely on the cult to fulfill those needs, and pretty soon getting them to 'betray' the cult is like getting a heroin addict to stop jabbing a needle in their arm.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
i stole the cato thing from melkor but i feel we should all quote it every post

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sickening posted:

Again, if you had any way to get rid of that subreddit it would be gone. I don't believe you for a second when you say "partly", you either have the means or you don't.

Mod challengee detected

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Milky Moor posted:

An old associate of mine from Spacebattles just told me that the forum is deleting any mention of Fuzzy's recent activities including, apparently, a thread made by his wife a few weeks ago.

Got links?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Sickening posted:

money where your mouth is, derek smartypants. burn it down or shut up about it.

i am licensed to speak on this topic i played three hours of that shitpile.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Mod challengee detected

Sickening isn't a mod, he can't actually challenge derek to shut down r/ds

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Sickening isn't a mod, he can't actually challenge derek to shut down r/ds

That's why he's a challengee and not a challenger

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm the 10+ unironic requests for source

I'm the FUD creeping in at the corners of Er_Dova's vision

Er_Dova posted:

I agree. CitizenCon: 0 news. End of October and still 0 news. This is getting beyond ridiculous. WTF is happening with Star Marine?
My biggest fear is that, after all, maybe we'll end up getting a drat basic FPS with only 2 maps, 2 gamemodes and only grenades to add to the basic FPS mechanics despite all of those delays. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I'm just so very mad at Derek Smart :mad:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

That's why he's a challengee and not a challenger

Goons have to be diligent. Not even the warlord gets to say dumb poo poo and not get called out on it. Be the change you want to be, don't be pulling shitizen poo poo.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Norefund14days posted:

Keeping in mind I am new to SA, what is a mod challenge?

Moderator Challenge. Usually given when a Mod has call to probate/ban a user, but instead wants to attempt to have some fun instead. They issue a challenge to the user, usually with a time limit. If the user does the challenge well, people usually are pretty enthusiastic for the user/contest. If the user doesn't do it, or does it halfassed, well they were going to be banned anyway.

SAclopedia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm the FUD creeping in at the corners of Er_Dova's vision

Seriously, why do idiots like him and lazrin whine about star marine? It's been a punchline for a loving year, nobody should have expected it to be released anytime soon

• Locked thread