Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Those guys should probably just pack it in cuz their reputation is hosed but they still probably made a bunch of cash just off the initial hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

speaking of NMS and bouncing back, lately been playing Diablo 3 new characters with friends on PS4, still can't believe how much Blizzard turned around a horrid release. Game is incredibly fun and you'd never know how poor the first edition was by playing Ultimate Evil.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It was thanks to the guy who was in charge of porting Diablo 3 to consoles - he already made the game so much better that they gave Jay Wilson's position to him and he turned the game around.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

Just so happens the community there has noted their silence: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/59dujc/sean_murray_and_hello_games_this_silence_is/

To be fair I don't really blame the devs for going into silence mode. The lash back on the internet towards Sean Murray was incredibly harsh and in the grand scheme of things we are talking about a video game here, yet he has received death threats.

As someone who still plays the game every now and then (And yes, I still have fun when I do it) I honestly considered writing exactly a letter like that but... it's just a video game and at the end of the day even with the things that disappointed me, I've still played it like 90 hours in the past couple months so :shrug:

Hope they start talking again.

e: and yeah FF14 and Diablo 3 are proof you can turn the car around on a bad game

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FFXIV: A Realm Reborn is an amazing overhaul of what was an incredibly loving stupid MMO.

I'm glad it got nuked by a meteor.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah D3 is another obvious example. I actually lost faith in Blizzard over D3 and SC2, they used to be the "we won't even release a game if its not good enough for us to buy ourselves" company, holding games like starcraft ghost or lord of the clans in indefinite delay because they weren't up to standards.

Then they get bought by Activision and start cranking out games on schedule come hell or high water. Sad to see them change.

But they totally righted the ship, Diablo 3 is legit fun now. I was reallly shocked they had the balls to remove the RMAH, and the game is so much more fun because of it. Original D3 was like some weird psychological expiriment to turn gaming into a job for lots of people. "So you want to be a gold farmer?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oof, that reminds me I still haven't even played Legacy of the Void, despite owning it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

precision posted:

e: and yeah FF14 and Diablo 3 are proof you can turn the car around on a bad game

This is true. But unfortunately it's also proof that only flagship titles that represent invaluable IPs from the biggest studios in the industry will ever get this kind of treatment.

Any run of the mill franchise/developer? Yeah they'll just let it die.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Zaphod42 posted:

But MMOs are in a weird spot unique to their genre. WoW dominates the pay-to-play market, and EVE and FFXIV pick up the scraps. No room for competition when you have to subscribe to expensive monthly fees, everybody just plays the most popular ones their friends are playing (or none at all).

I think there's more to it than that, because the other reason there's no room for competition is that the WoW/Everquest style of MMO is really expensive to develop, so you need a playerbase in the millions to sustain it and make enough money to constantly develop more content for it. Imo the people who seven or eight years ago would be trying out those MMOs are now playing a wider variety of online multiplayer titles because there's more multiplayer games out now that do the things MMO's back then did: the persistent online community, playing games alongside other people, PvP and PvE, exploring big exciting worlds, etc. And because those multiplayer games don't need such huge playerbases to keep going (stuff like Hearthstone, or the Steam multiplayer survival games like ARK, or minecraft) we don't have this big messy turnover of a studio trying to make the next WoW and then bankrupting itself over and over anymore.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Still even initially D3 sold a ton of copies and had the franchise power behind it that would draw people to it (come to think of it FFXIV and SW TOR were in similar situations). I don't think a successful relaunch could be that easily replicated by titles like Evolve that don't have a huge fanbase to begin with (and also the game wasn't remade into something really good).

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

What does NMS need to make it better? Is it inserting the stuff they promised and building on what's there or is there tons of problems in the system that they need to overhaul?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does console Diablo 3 differ from PC Diablo 3 at all right now?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Guild of Dungeoneering, the cutest card-game-rogue-like-board-game on Steam, has its second expansion coming out tomorrow. I'm a bit surprised and glad that game is getting a lot of support.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

Unless things have changed recently PC still doesn't have native controller support and console doesn't have seasons?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Golden Goat posted:

What does NMS need to make it better? Is it inserting the stuff they promised and building on what's there or is there tons of problems in the system that they need to overhaul?

Just inserting lots of stuff would go a long way. The very very base of the game is there and works okay, but its too bland and there's not enough reason to do anything.

If they just improve the space dogfighting to where its actually fun and a little bit deep (right now its ridiculously shallow and boring) that would go SO far to giving you a reason to do other things and a context for exploring.

Adding a faction system would go a long way, adding new buildings and story, adding new treasures to explore and look for, all would add a lot.

Jay Rust posted:

Yes. The UI is very different because its meant for controllers.

Beyond that, Cosole AFAIK doesn't get seasons, which are the new version of D2's ladders, which is kinda a big deal if you're a diablo tryhard.

But otherwise they're pretty similar. I think console lags behind PC for content patches too, but no biggie.

If you're just looking for a few hours of casual demon slaying and loot looting, console's just fine. Some prefer it for the couch playstyle.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 26, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

there needs to be end game, like i get it it's supposed to be a chill game you wander around the galaxy looking at stuff

But after 15 or 20 hours you've seen everything and the rest of the planets are pretty much identical to each other

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

funny Star Wars parody posted:

there needs to be end game, like i get it it's supposed to be a chill game you wander around the galaxy looking at stuff

But after 15 or 20 hours you've seen everything and the rest of the planets are pretty much identical to each other

I dunno about an end-game necessarily, minecraft mostly didn't have one and then they added something and most people dont' give a poo poo about it. (Ender dragon)

But just having something that's a more long term progression, like a stronger deeper faction system, would go so far.

Make it so instead of just becoming friendly with everybody and learning all the languages, you have to pick one side and help them at the cost of pissing off other factions, and then you start getting put in charge of that faction (Like you become a Vogon Officer or whatever) and meanwhile pirates or soldiers from the other factions start hunting you. Stuff like that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Dragon Quest version of NMS in 7 years will probably be awesome.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

NMS is sort of fundamentally unfixable because it's just a giant tech demo. Look, we can make 18 quintillion planets! Nevermind that you can't test that many though, and you can't ever visit that many, and there's no way to make that many varied and interesting in each case because of human life expectancy. They did it because they could and it sounded cool not because it suddenly would make a good game.

Even If they had done just 100 planets any developer would have struggled to make every one of them interesting.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno about an end-game necessarily, minecraft mostly didn't have one and then they added something and most people dont' give a poo poo about it. (Ender dragon)

But just having something that's a more long term progression, like a stronger deeper faction system, would go so far.

Make it so instead of just becoming friendly with everybody and learning all the languages, you have to pick one side and help them at the cost of pissing off other factions, and then you start getting put in charge of that faction (Like you become a Vogon Officer or whatever) and meanwhile pirates or soldiers from the other factions start hunting you. Stuff like that.

yeah that works for me

i probably still wont go back to playing it now that i have stellaris

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Stuff like this being possible makes that VR thing seem pretty attractive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DOhgGmI8JE

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You know what game has 100+ awesome planets to explore? Super Mario Galaxy

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

was the space part of spore better than the rest. i got up to the rts part where you shoot music at cities

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

NMS is sort of fundamentally unfixable because it's just a giant tech demo. Look, we can make 18 quintillion planets! Nevermind that you can't test that many though, and you can't ever visit that many, and there's no way to make that many varied and interesting in each case because of human life expectancy. They did it because they could and it sounded cool not because it suddenly would make a good game.

Even If they had done just 100 planets any developer would have struggled to make every one of them interesting.

That's how it struck me, yeah. There's just not really a game under all that pretty tech demo.

Endless Ocean still seems like the definitive "wander around and chill" sim anyways

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In Training posted:

You know what game has 100+ awesome planets to explore? Super Mario Galaxy

:hfive:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Just inserting lots of stuff would go a long way. The very very base of the game is there and works okay, but its too bland and there's not enough reason to do anything.

If they just improve the space dogfighting to where its actually fun and a little bit deep (right now its ridiculously shallow and boring) that would go SO far to giving you a reason to do other things and a context for exploring.

Adding a faction system would go a long way, adding new buildings and story, adding new treasures to explore and look for, all would add a lot.

Yes. The UI is very different because its meant for controllers.

Beyond that, Cosole AFAIK doesn't get seasons, which are the new version of D2's ladders, which is kinda a big deal if you're a diablo tryhard.

But otherwise they're pretty similar. I think console lags behind PC for content patches too, but no biggie.

If you're just looking for a few hours of casual demon slaying and loot looting, console's just fine. Some prefer it for the couch playstyle.

I'm actually stunned Blizzard kept up the patches and updates with the console version but now that Overwatch is just as big on consoles, it's probably not that big of a deal. It's cool that whenever they feel like D4 will be a thing there's a great precedent for porting it. Don't think we'll ever see a console Starcraft, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
RTSs suck on consoles.

Ask N64 starcraft.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Snak posted:

RTSs suck on consoles.

Ask N64 starcraft.

N64 Starcraft was my entire middle school, don't knock it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Recently busted out the PS1 Harry Potter game because I used to own it but have like no memory of it.

Not a great decision. :negative:

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

I still have to get it. Is Unbox worth getting the top tier?

I don't own it, but the Yogscast took a look at it and it looks decent.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Phantasium posted:

That's completely misunderstanding the point. Minecraft has 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 worlds. They're not all significantly different from each other. Nobody will ever see all of them. You can't test all of them. But that doesn't matter. Each of those worlds is almost infinitely large and most people will never remotely fully explore one world, much less many. Again, doesn't matter.

Its not about every one of them being interesting. Its about being able to find stuff that isn't predictable, that other people haven't seen yet.

NMS has lots of problems but that's not really it. If you don't like that, hey, not the game for you, but it doesn't mean its bad.

The problem isn't the world so much as the lack of things to do in it that give it significance.

Minecraft's world is very simple, but due to multiplayer and building houses, you can stretch that a long way. It just uses procgen for background.

NMS doesn't have the foreground, is the problem. No multiplayer is huge, no building is huge. You could do without building fine, and NMS' nomadic nature doesn't really fit building anyways, but you need something to replace it. Like good space dogfighting. The background is there and its fine, but they're lacking the actual stuff to do in that world.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 26, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Recently busted out the PS1 Harry Potter game because I used to own it but have like no memory of it.

Not a great decision. :negative:

Console Chamber of Secrets was actually kinda okay

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GOTY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCvtl3jwnkc

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

owns

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, fuckin sold.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

The problem isn't the world so much as the lack of things to do in it that give it significance.

Minecraft's world is very simple, but due to multiplayer and building houses, you can stretch that a long way. It just uses procgen for background.

NMS doesn't have the foreground, is the problem. No multiplayer is huge, no building is huge. You could do without building fine, and NMS' nomadic nature doesn't really fit building anyways, but you need something to replace it. Like good space dogfighting. The background is there and its fine, but they're lacking the actual stuff to do in that world.

You're misunderstanding. The procgen in NMS matters because it's all it has. Yeah, if it was a fundamentally different game (or a game at all) it could be good, I agree.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

download a space mod for minecraft. wow now you've got a good no man's sky

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Phantasium posted:

You're misunderstanding. The procgen in NMS matters because it's all it has. Yeah, if it was a fundamentally different game (or a game at all) it could be good, I agree.

Wow, this is a really weird argument.

"That doesn't matter because that would make it a completely different game!"

"So instead this game should have completely different procgen, which unlike adding gameplay layers on top, would not make it a completely different game!"

Okay? Really weird standard of "fundamentally different game" you've got there dude. Its like an alternate form No true scotsman argument.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The only way to fix No Man's Sky would be creating it again from scratch and also with a different development studio.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Looper posted:

Console Chamber of Secrets was actually kinda okay

Define "console" because there were two very different versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Wow, this is a really weird argument.

"That doesn't matter because that would make it a completely different game!"

"So instead this game should have completely different procgen, which unlike adding gameplay layers on top, would not make it a completely different game!"

Okay? Really weird standard of "fundamentally different game" you've got there dude. Its like an alternate form No true scotsman argument.

No, I'm saying remove the procgen from the argument entirely. NMS has what, resource management, and Minecraft has building and multiplayer. Those are different games.

One is playing with Legos, and the other is just, well, traveling. Is that not a fundamentally different game? If the argument is that you can patch whatever in then it's kind of meaningless, because they can technically patch any game to be a different game.

• Locked thread