Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Roland Jones posted:

Well, past games already had that with Petra...

Petra with Kilimanjaro in the desert is kinda absurd. It's no doubt a rare combo, but it's beautiful.

I built it, I wept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
The end game in this is really terrible, which sours the whole game itself for me. I've played two full games to completion, and I think I'm just shelving this until an expansion or something. What a disappointment.

First game was a religious victory, which basically amounts to pumping out the same 2 units over and over, and hitting the convert button. Good luck getting enough faith to produce more than 2-4 of them a turn. For inexplicable reasons even if you have enough faith the game will sometimes only you build 1 of the units per turn in a city.

Second game was culture. I had about 600 tourism output having scored almost every great writer, artist, and musician available in the game. I had a national park even though it's finicky as poo poo to find a spot for it. I was still only at 84/191 tourists needed at turn 200 something. Yes, I would love to sit there and click end turn button for 100 more turns. Not to mention there is no spots to put great writers all game, so they just sit idling for ages.

Not to mention how frustrating they make clicking end turn since around the information age you have to have to reassign movement of half your units every single turn in the end game, because some other nation or city state's stone age warriors and catapults temporarily move onto the tile they were heading to. It's seems really unlikely playtesters didn't come across this issue, so they must have been actively ignoring the comments about how much of a huge slog the entire game is past turn 175~.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like they hosed up a bit ever since civ 5 by making gold more important early on and allowing buy rushing without late game techs.

It feels cheesey to be able to get things cheaper/faster by abusing selling and buying and production discounts and overflow.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel like they hosed up a bit ever since civ 5 by making gold more important early on and allowing buy rushing without late game techs.

It feels cheesey to be able to get things cheaper/faster by abusing selling and buying and production discounts and overflow.

I love that gold is actually important and useful. They do need to patch the ridiculous sell values, the ability to sell outside your border, and some of the overpowered production multipliers, though.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I feel like I'm in the minority in that I like the game and just feel it needs some tweaks to the AI and to fix some of the balance issues. Oh and making the UI not a complete disaster.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Niwrad posted:

I feel like I'm in the minority in that I like the game and just feel it needs some tweaks to the AI and to fix some of the balance issues. Oh and making the UI not a complete disaster.

I'm in the same boat. I'm just extra frustrated because I was big into Civ 5, and seeing the exact same issues in 6 makes me nervous that they won't be fixed. If I was seeing new issues, I'd be a bit more optimistic.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

I'm in the same boat. I'm just extra frustrated because I was big into Civ 5, and seeing the exact same issues in 6 makes me nervous that they won't be fixed. If I was seeing new issues, I'd be a bit more optimistic.

Apart from AI (which is kind of unsatisfactory in every strategy game, even acknowledging Civ VI has a lot of obvious problems) which issues are persistent from Civ V?

I see a lot of issues that have regressed from Civ V, which is frustrating but they are basically all balance stuff and UI. The core gameplay is a rehash of Civ V (not in a bad way) with some things like districts refreshing it.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Apart from AI (which is kind of unsatisfactory in every strategy game, even acknowledging Civ VI has a lot of obvious problems) which issues are persistent from Civ V?

I see a lot of issues that have regressed from Civ V, which is frustrating but they are basically all balance stuff and UI. The core gameplay is a rehash of Civ V (not in a bad way) with some things like districts refreshing it.

That's my problem though. Civ V never fixed it's UI issues. I'm worried that these small issues will never be fixed. I had to use UI mods for everything in V.

There's still so much hidden from the player. Just one example: how do I determine how I or an opponent gets their domestic tourism. Until I'm told where it's coming from it's an arbitrary number as far as I'm concerned.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
If I had one wish for the game it would be no bonuses for other cities from your districts. Because I think city carpets are ugly as hell and I don't want to HAVE to build them.
I'm a tall player and so far Civ6 is quite annoying for that.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Niwrad posted:

It's a very good game with a bunch of stuff that needs to be fixed (and most of it no doubt will be), it's just that people are more likely to post complaints than praises, as with everything.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Niwrad posted:

I have a lot of hope for multiplayer and probably some solid balance/QoL fixes. Vanilla AI is never going to be good, though. They'll apply a few bandaids, but they don't have the capacity to put out a good AI. As absurd as it is, you'll definitely have to wait for mods if you want a reasonable computer opponent.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

No Safe Word posted:

They're clearly rap battling you guys

https://youtu.be/b5P1cM85Ez8

jesus this thread moves fast

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Most of my recent posts about the game are bitching, but I want to make it clear I reckon the game is pretty fun, and most of the issues with it are easily fixable.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In this current game, I bumped into my first neighbor right when he sent out his very first settler (possibly the second settler he started with for being an AI on Emperor? Not sure). I immediately declared, got a free settler, and since I'm the Aztecs, got like three free builders before taking a white peace.

Basically what I'm saying is there's no reason not to declare at least once in the ancient era, even if all you get out of it is 50 gold from pillaging.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So I have gone into my first major defensive war. The enemy has about a dozen units, including siege machines, near my city which is defended by a single crossbow and a knight. So far they have been just rearranging their formation turn after turn and only once managed to attack my exposed knight at all. Meanwhile they've lost a bunch of units themselves. I'm getting annoyed, it's obvious that the AI can't handle taking damage without immediately scrapping its plans.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Periodiko posted:

Why? What's the flaw?

I don't mind it since you don't need any of them and can throw down so many cities. But it does remind me a bit of BE where you might want to become a robot, except the only resource near you is White Supremecite.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Inspector_666 posted:

I think machine guns are still pretty useless since I like to keep my ranged units behind a line of infantry, but yeah, having something between crossbows and them is nice.

I thought so too, but it turns out that they just kinda switch roles after a while: instead of being your offensive army's bread and butter, they make pretty deadly stationary defenders--set them up in your encampments or cities and watch that surprise attack evaporate like weed butter on mac and cheese night. Kind of a shame that if you took their city-attacking upgrade path that they aren't nearly as useful in this role as they could be, though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I have no idea why they even have 'send envoys' and choices like whether to receive them. They add nothing to the game and instead force you to pay attention to the diplomacy popups which are annoying as gently caress.

The more I play this game, the more I sour on the presentation and the stuff they tried to ape from paradox games.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

steinrokkan posted:

it's obvious that the AI can't handle taking damage without immediately scrapping its plans.

Everyone has a plan until they get hit. AI working as intended :v:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

steinrokkan posted:

So I have gone into my first major defensive war. The enemy has about a dozen units, including siege machines, near my city which is defended by a single crossbow and a knight. So far they have been just rearranging their formation turn after turn and only once managed to attack my exposed knight at all. Meanwhile they've lost a bunch of units themselves. I'm getting annoyed, it's obvious that the AI can't handle taking damage without immediately scrapping its plans.

Me and the Aztecs split Greece between us. He owned Corinth and I owned Sparta which were very close. Outside Corinth he had an army of about 30 units, an enormous carpet. He declared war on me and he'd move these units around towards Sparta, get fired on by my force of three crossbowmen and a barrage and then cycle the front line over and over until his whole army was dead.
I was genuinely concerned when he declared on me and it was such a weird thing to see.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Warmongering penalties make no sense to me in this game, help me get this straight:
  • If I declare war on a civ I get a warmonger penalty right away, and further penalties for cities I take/raze.
  • If the AI declares war on me, I have no immediate warmonger penalty and can stay at war as long as I like without ever getting a warmonger diplo penalty.
  • If I capture cities and bully the AI into a peace deal where they cede all those cities I get no warmonger diplo penalties for keeping them.
  • And if I completely genocide a civ I get zero diplo penalties for taking all their cities? :v: As long as they declared the war.
So if an AI declares war just never make peace unless they cede all cities or cease to exist? Also how does the war weariness work, both in general and specifically in regard to declaring war vs. being declared on and refusing to peace out.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Sanctum posted:

Warmongering penalties make no sense to me in this game, help me get this straight:
  • If I declare war on a civ I get a warmonger penalty right away, and further penalties for cities I take/raze.
  • If the AI declares war on me, I have no immediate warmonger penalty and can stay at war as long as I like without ever getting a warmonger diplo penalty.
  • If I capture cities and bully the AI into a peace deal where they cede all those cities I get no warmonger diplo penalties for keeping them.
  • And if I completely genocide a civ I get zero diplo penalties for taking all their cities? :v: As long as they declared the war.
  • Right, though that penalty might be 0 (ancient era, certain casus belli)
  • As far as I understand, yes
  • I think so, at least if the AI was the one to declare war
  • Not sure, you definitely get warmonger penalties if you were the one to declare war
Don't know about war weariness.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to are how religion is passively spreading, or even where there is pressure? Civ5 had really clear tooltips for what was spreading and how much, but I see absolutely nothing in 6 to get that info.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/chrisremo/status/791504972596805632

https://twitter.com/chrisremo/status/791506492075626496

Is this true? Can you turn it off?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Palleon posted:

Is there any way to are how religion is passively spreading, or even where there is pressure? Civ5 had really clear tooltips for what was spreading and how much, but I see absolutely nothing in 6 to get that info.

Press '1' and you'll see a religion overlay. It doesn't display much, but it's better than nothing if you don't already know about it.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Is it me or is there very little space even in the middle game to put great works in for art and writing? Even with an art museum, amphitheater, and a few wonders I can house things at, I still have Billy Shakespeare, Donatello, and some other nut just putzing around my empire because I have no rooms for their works. Are they doomed to roam the earth for hundreds of in-game years until I can build something with a slot late game?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

bump_fn posted:

Is this true? Can you turn it off?

Time victories are a thing, I want to say it's the year 2050. You can't turn it off, as far as I know.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There is an advanced setup option called something like "Turn limit" that can be toggled, I assume it does what you want. By default if you run out of time, the winner is chosen based on "score", but I don't think there is any score screen in the game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
There is! It's in the top right of the screen. The tiiiiiiiiiiny little globe icon toggles a victory progress panel that includes a surprisingly clearly-labeled score tab.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Oh no, I don't have any aluminium, I wonder if there's any close to my borders

(Scythia settled a town NW of the oasis about a turn later).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The White Dragon posted:

There is! It's in the top right of the screen. The tiiiiiiiiiiny little globe icon toggles a victory progress panel that includes a surprisingly clearly-labeled score tab.

And if you click the box that says "more details" on that screen it will even give you a breakdown for that civ on how that score is determined!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Remember how the older Civ gamed had a replay feature at the End Game screen and you could watch turn by turn who expanded when and where? That was cool.

Lol

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Geight posted:

Time victories are a thing, I want to say it's the year 2050. You can't turn it off, as far as I know.

You actually can turn it off; when creating a game, you can disable any victory type, including score (which is tallied at 2050, which is turn 700 on Standard). Turn/score limits been in the series at least as early as civ 3, and I turn them off every time.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Panzeh posted:

I have no idea why they even have 'send envoys' and choices like whether to receive them. They add nothing to the game and instead force you to pay attention to the diplomacy popups which are annoying as gently caress.

The more I play this game, the more I sour on the presentation and the stuff they tried to ape from paradox games.

Envoys give you an extra access (=spy) level with the civ that receives them. I'm not sure what the AI can do if they have a higher access level on the player but there you go.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Zomborgon posted:

You actually can turn it off; when creating a game, you can disable any victory type, including score (which is tallied at 2050, which is turn 700 on Standard). Turn/score limits been in the series at least as early as civ 3, and I turn them off every time.

steinrokkan posted:

There is an advanced setup option called something like "Turn limit" that can be toggled, I assume it does what you want. By default if you run out of time, the winner is chosen based on "score", but I don't think there is any score screen in the game.

Sick. Also, Turn 700? I would kind of appreciate the game mercy-killing my run at that point.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Krazyface posted:

Oh no, I don't have any aluminium, I wonder if there's any close to my borders

(Scythia settled a town NW of the oasis about a turn later).

There's more iron on that screenshot than I've ever found in the games I've started.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Strategic resources seem really rare in this game. On one hand i appreciate that it encourages conflict and thats good. On the other, im pretty sure there should be more than 3 oil on the entire map. How frustrating as the game becomes a mad dash for a useless tile in the snow becauss it's the only one a city can be reliably settled on.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Am I the only one that turns off every victory condition and turn limits and just plays the game to see what happens? I think I've completed maybe 3 games across my Civ career (not including CivRev, there was no way to not win or lose in that.)

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Does doing that preserve your warmonger score?

Hopefully I'm not too late to this question, but the way to knock down the warmonger score is in the peace deal make sure they Cede the city to you (it's one of the city choices)

If you don't get them to Cede it to you they can Cassus Belli you with no penalty to get it back and you get warmonger for having it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

sorting autosaves by "last modified" somehow doesn't put the latest autosaves on top