Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

we must elect a dog as our king, and thus the world's problems will be solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

logger posted:

If only we had Justice Scalia with us so he could give us insight into the Founding Fathers true intent when they wrote that into The Constitution.

Rest in piss Nino

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The Constitution states that it was signed "the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independance of the United States of America the Twelfth" thereby establishing a year as the standard 365 day solar year as defined by the Gregorian Calendar. Therefore when Article II says "neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years", those years are human years and not dog years. The oldest dog ever documented lived to just under 30 years old. Even if we accept the personhood of a dog, the age requirement de facto excludes dogs. Your move. :colbert:

Let's pull a Republican Congressman, does the Constitution ever specify whether those years are human or dog?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
But what defines personhood? Is a dog a person? Is a clump of cells a person? Are human slaves a person?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tricky D posted:

That may disqualify dogs, but not turtles.

Also parrots.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Shbobdb posted:

But what defines personhood? Is a dog a person? Is a clump of cells a person? Are human slaves a person?

The only person in that list is the clump of cells you liberal bastard :bahgawd:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, but it was too obvious. It just leaves the NRA room to whine about how they'll accept 'reasonable' reform while pointing out that even liberals don't think that's reasonable.

Most do, actually.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Because I have some iconoclastic views and am generally very authoritarian, I got involved with an American Monarchist movement. Looking back, it was very much a precursor to the Dork Enlightenment poo poo we see today, just ~15-20 years earlier (gently caress I'm old). In all earnestness, I argued that if we were to throw our support behind an American Monarch they should be from the black side of Thomas Jefferson's legacy.

My argument was . . . not well received.

So I decided to smash fascist skulls instead. It was a very good choice.

Oh my gosh, can you elaborate on your reasoning if you remember it? I love that you managed to totally miss the point of monarchism in such a weird way, you poor, sweet child.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Shbobdb posted:

How many slaves? I mean, if you've got at least two, they're technically 1 1/5th of a person! :smith:3

computer parts posted:

Most do, actually.

Then they need to get off their high horse and stop pretending that doing horrible poo poo to civil rights is okay if it's -your- pet ideal it supports and not the Tea Party's. Freedom of movement is a fundamental Constitutional right for a drat good reason.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

computer parts posted:

Most do, actually.

What do you think think though. Is it good policy, just good political theater, or both

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

Let this be our final battle!

Gyges posted:

Actually, it specifies that the President must be a person. No Air Bud clause on Madison's watch.

ARTICLE II, SECTION 1, CLAUSE 5 posted:

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

Read that carefully. It prohibits a person who is not a citizen from running for president, it prohibits a person who is under 35 from running for president and it prohibits a person who has not been a resident of the United States for 14 years from being president.

It does not explicitly require that the Office of President be held by a person.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Also gently caress y'all with this dog crap, a dog would obey Russia's every command.

A cat president is the way to go. Mr. Whiskers 2024.

I feel bad dissing the noble dog, so let me clarify: dogs are great pals, bad presidents.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
So if someone would be 34y and 3m old on inauguration day are they technically legally allowed to be president?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Could the congress make the president eat a burrito?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

You're all barking up the wrong tree.
All hail president :duckie:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

God of Evil Cows posted:

Read that carefully. It prohibits a person who is not a citizen from running for president, it prohibits a person who is under 35 from running for president and it prohibits a person who has not been a resident of the United States for 14 years from being president.

It does not explicitly require that the Office of President be held by a person.

So the 14 years thing could go both ways. I'm sure they meant it as "you've had to live here for 14 years" and not "you could be an American citizen living abroad for the past decade and still run for President"

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Trump just tried to assassinate his running mate to get the sympathy vote.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Peztopiary posted:

Trump just tried to assassinate his running mate to get the sympathy vote.

Nah Pence was trying to have the place take off on a treadmill for meme domination.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Trabisnikof posted:

No person who refuses eat a burrito is qualified to be president.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Trump will definitely go to town on Mark Kirk at some point since Kirk refused to endorse him and showed himself to be a mean spirited moron tonight.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Liquid Communism posted:

Freedom of movement is a fundamental Constitutional right for a drat good reason.

This argument has never stood up in airports and it's not just the no-fly list I'm talking about.

Even on public highways you still need a driver's license to exercise your freedom of movement.

GalacticAcid posted:

What do you think think though. Is it good policy, just good political theater, or both

It's a prop. Democrats knew that gun reform was toxic when a class full of young children wasn't enough to get a basic background check to a vote.

If the GOP gave in to the no-fly list ban, then great, no real loss there. If they didn't, there's a bunch of ammo towards painting them as children. It's a win-win.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Crabtree posted:

Let's pull a Republican Congressman, does the Constitution ever specify whether those years are human or dog?

By using the date given and the number of years since independence we can use reason to figure out... nevermind.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Trabisnikof posted:

With a supermajority, they could make eating a burrito the duty of the presidential office. Although, they probably couldn't force a president to by name as that would qualify as a bill of attainder.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

we must elect a dog as our king, and thus the world's problems will be solved

It's supposed to be cats

Mark Twain posted:

He was sure that a royal family of cats would answer every purpose. They would be as useful as any other royal family, they would know as much, they would have the same virtues and the same treacheries, the same disposition to get up shindies with other royal cats, they would be laughable vain and absurd and never know it, they would be wholly inexpensive, finally, they would have as sound a divine right as any other royal house...The worship of royalty being founded in unreason, these graceful and harmless cats would easily become as sacred as any other royalties, and indeed more so, because it would presently be noticed that they hanged nobody, beheaded nobody, imprisoned nobody, inflicted no cruelties or injustices of any sort, and so must be worthy of a deeper love and reverence than the customary human king, and would certainly get it.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I believe "Lizard People" is also invalid as well, take that Minnesota!

Unless someone was named Lizard People.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Crabtree posted:

Is the dog in question a Republican?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

computer parts posted:

Even on public highways you still need a driver's license to exercise your freedom of movement.

No, you don't. You have to have a license to drive, not travel. Passenger, on foot, whatever. That's the flaw in those weird SovCit arguments about not needing a license because they're "travelling." Travel away, good sir, but you cannot drive.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Lote posted:

I believe "Lizard People" is also invalid as well, take that Minnesota!

Unless someone was named Lizard People.

I think you'll find several lizard people have already been president, depending on who you ask.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I think the most mind blowing fact that I've learned during this whole de-rail is that there are 14 Air Bud movies.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Holy gently caress the jury ruled the Malheur guys not guilty?

gently caress, there *is* going to be more violence then

How in the gently caress? God loving drat we are so loving stupid sometimes.

...I'm hoping no one is emboldened by this poo poo.

And also, how? Just how? I usually get these things, but how do you not convict in a case like this? How do people take over a facility for a month, with guns, on loving video, and not at least get stuck on the charge related to the weapons? What did the jury see? Jesus.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Tiny Deer posted:

Oh my gosh, can you elaborate on your reasoning if you remember it? I love that you managed to totally miss the point of monarchism in such a weird way, you poor, sweet child.

There was a big split as to whether it should just go to the British Monarchy (unpopular because of the Revolution) or to a German branch of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (unpopular because random foreigners nobody gives a gently caress about are something that nobody gives a gently caress about) and a TRUE AMERICAN MONARCH (the vast majority of the people involved -- again, this is like a proto-Dork Englightenment). Lots of gnashing of teeth about how Washington didn't have kids (despite the largest group arguing that either Washington's issue or Reagan's should have the title).

My argument was (basically and as much as I remember it) was that if we are going to arbitrarily choose a constitutional monarch to serve as a symbolic head of state, they should have revolutionary credentials and be representative of the American people. Multiracial, recognizing the original American sin of slavery and a Founding Father. To me, it still hits all the right notes. It was a dumb idea on a lot of levels but I really like where younger me was going with that dumb line of reasoning.

My alternate was a Habsburg. I figured they were available and also they are used to a complicated multiethnic empire so they'd be a good fit for the American melting pot. That line of argument was also . . . not well received.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

alpha_destroy posted:

How in the gently caress? God loving drat we are so loving stupid sometimes.

...I'm hoping no one is emboldened by this poo poo.

And also, how? Just how? I usually get these things, but how do you not convict in a case like this? How do people take over a facility for a month, with guns, on loving video, and not at least get stuck on the charge related to the weapons? What did the jury see? Jesus.

Jury Nullification is currently the likely culprit

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The Natural Born Citizen clause was a gently caress you to Alexander Hamilton, and also there to save the fragile nation from the evils of French and English sleeper agents.

Oh, and here's the people to have their citizenship questioned while running for President:

Presidents:
  • Chester "Poutine On The Whiskers" Arther(Alleged Canadian)
  • Barack "Super Allah" Obama(Alleged Kenyan)
  • James "The Real Worst President" Buchanan(Daddy was a filthy immigrant)
  • Woodrow "Like, Super, Really, Racist" Wilson(Mommy was a filthy immigrant)
  • Herbert "Check Out My Dam" Hoover(Mommy was a filthy immigrant)

Nominees:
  • Christopher Schurmann(100% Anchor Baby)
  • Charles Evans Hughes(Parents were never citizens, ever)
  • Barry Goldwater(Born in the Arizona Territory, quasi-technically maybe not America)
  • George Romney(Mexican as Mormon gently caress, Parents still technically American)
  • Al Gore(Born in D.C., gets the same stink eye as fellow not an actual state born candidate Goldwater)
  • John McCain(Panama is not the US, though it was on a US base)
  • Ted Cruz(Born to a Canadian father on Canadian soil)
  • Marco Rubio(Parents were still Cuban as gently caress when he was born)
  • Bobby Jindal(Parents weere still Indian as gently caress when he was born)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

computer parts posted:

This argument has never stood up in airports and it's not just the no-fly list I'm talking about.

I don't think I, or any other sane person, is arguing against drivers' licenses.

Just a list that bans people from travel which they have no ability to determine they are on, nor legal recourse to be removed from.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

torgeaux posted:

No, you don't. You have to have a license to drive, not travel. Passenger, on foot, whatever. That's the flaw in those weird SovCit arguments about not needing a license because they're "travelling." Travel away, good sir, but you cannot drive.

Pedestrians are not allowed on the interstates in many states.

Liquid Communism posted:

I don't think I, or any other sane person, is arguing against drivers' licenses.

Just a list that bans people from travel which they have no ability to determine they are on, nor legal recourse to be removed from.

So your objection isn't actually the list itself, just the fact that people can't contest it?

Freedom of movement isn't actually that important?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Nah, I'm a dual citizen, and I served in the military and had a top secret clearance.

Right, I'm saying that's pretty much the only time they'll acknowledge it is a thing, not that it prevents you from getting clearance. Another time, as stated, is when trying to renounce your citizenship, since we don't want to leave someone stateless.

Shbobdb posted:

On a military base. The Venn diagram of "people who care about that poo poo" and "republicans" is a perfect circle.

The whole idea was to ensure that there could never be a black president since the founders were racists AF.

Except it wasn't considered US soil until the year after he was born, which is where the trick is. It doesn't matter since his parents were citizens, it's just something to slam back at the racists who are trying to rules lawyer Obama's birth.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I have a friend from undergrad casting his ballot for "the write in candidate Bernie Sanders."

For gently caress's sake.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What are the odds that Trump calls Pence's hard landing an assassination attempt within a day or two? I'm thinking 50/50.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

duz posted:

Except it wasn't considered US soil until the year after he was born, which is where the trick is. It doesn't matter since his parents were citizens, it's just something to slam back at the racists who are trying to rules lawyer Obama's birth.

Throwing back weird racist rules lawyering at racist rules lawyers feels ineffective to me since all it does it create a larger tradition of racist rules lawyering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

computer parts posted:

So your objection isn't actually the list itself, just the fact that people can't contest it?

Freedom of movement isn't actually that important?

If it was a list they were put on by act of a court, which could thusly be challenged in court, then yes, I'd have no problem. That's one of the powers the courts have. To restrict people's rights via due process of law.

Jesus, do I have to teach your dumb rear end Civics 101?

• Locked thread