Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Until DmC came along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

anime was right posted:

• doesn't support several basic controllers.
  • Launched without several modes including arcade mode and story mode
  • paid DLC before fixing anything
  • 8 frames of delay
  • installed a loving rootkit
  • desynched netplay
  • takes longer to get into a match than play one
  • decided to punish people who botted for colors even top players had trouble earning
  • didn't punished ragequitters
  • ragequit system punishes people who are ragequit on or people who do stuff like disconnect from psn during training mode
  • characters released later than anticipated
  • stats still dont function at all
  • stage transitions got patched in
  • launched with like 5 grapplers and 2 zoning chars for no loving reason at all
  • allows you to "earn" dlc. takes five times longer than unlocking a league of legends character to do so beyond the first one.
  • capcoms messaging has been absolute garbage
  • all of the fun stuff gets patched out
  • jabs are dumb as gently caress
  • garbage movespeed
  • everything is negative on block
  • blockstun takes decades to complete
  • jab aa is dumb as hell
  • knockdowns don't mean very much

ok did i get everything lol

Having to learn multiple setups for every type of knockdown to not get jabbed out of a loving meaty and the trash netcode killed the game for me. The rootkit and them still insisting on 8 frame input lag is just funny at this point.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

MohShuvuu posted:

Until DmC came along

https://a.pomf.cat/ulmdtg.webm

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

anime was right posted:

• 8 frames of delay
  • desynched netplay
  • decided to punish people who botted for colors even top players had trouble earning
  • ragequit system punishes people who are ragequit on or people who do stuff like disconnect from psn during training mode
  • allows you to "earn" dlc. takes five times longer than unlocking a league of legends character to do so beyond the first one.
  • garbage movespeed
  • jab aa is dumb as hell

• the entire launch week
  • the game goes down for a full day's maintenance every single month
  • player 2 boob physics
  • insanely priced CPT DLC
  • "post your ragequit videos on youtube and we'll definitely maybe do something about it"
  • someone hacked in alex from the game's files and made an alex launch trailer before capcom released one
  • capcom japan publicly blamed capcom usa for making people expect DLC characters each month
  • the character tutorials ended up just being typo-riddled text overlaid on training mode dummy throwing hadoukens
  • player stat-tracking wiped everyone's replay history
  • there was a video of a 6 month old baby beating karin's story mode
  • six months to implement daily challenges and offline versus
  • cammy nipple patch
  • they released a stage that has to be banned in competitive play
  • you cant view the opening cinematic after the first time you launch the game
  • ken's paid costume

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nodoze posted:

SF5 is better than SF4 though

No.
Feel free to have your totally wrong opinion but I'm still having fun playing SF4 to this day while I ditched SFV like hot garbage after playing it for only about 100 hours.

anime was right posted:

• 8 frames of delay
  • desynched netplay
  • garbage movespeed
  • jab aa is dumb as hell

Can we just replace the OP with this?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 28, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

Female character models/costumes so vulgar as to be censored on late-night cable television.

To be fair.

Oh! You said female. My bad then.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Getting in and out of matches faster is my only big problem with SFV right now, as in the only thing that really gets in my way of wanting to play the game. If that were fixed then I wouldn't really care about stats or a lot of the other non-gameplay stuff. Also no rootkits please.

As a non-serious fighting game person I like the actual game and aesthetic way more than IV. Something about IV was visually and audibly jarring and super ugly in a way that I can't really describe.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Something about IV was visually and audibly jarring and super ugly in a way that I can't really describe.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SF4 does have some pretty jarring animations compared to SFV. That's like the only thing SFV does well is that animations are pretty smooth.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Yeah this still has like color and poo poo so it looks way better to me than anything in IV. Obviously this is all subjective and the last game was running on much older hardware but my lasting memory from that game will all the washed out colors punctuated with weird jerky animation and strange audio cues.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I'll concede that SFV does look reasonably good for the most part, a few character models notwithstanding. It certainly looks a lot better in-battle than it does on the character select screen - they should have stuck to SF4's static portraits!!

oh yeah and

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Jack Trades posted:

No.
Feel free to have your totally wrong opinion but I'm still having fun playing SF4 to this day while I ditched SFV like hot garbage after playing it for only about 100 hours.

I mean, you can still have fun playing a bad game. As a fighting game, 5 is better. As a finished feature complete game outside of vs. mode, SFIV is better.

e: I mean, I can go into detail about why IV is a bad fighting game but it's been hashed out a lot in here

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 28, 2016

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Oh! You said female. My bad then.

Poison's a woman

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It depends on if you're talking about the Japanese or American version of Final Fight.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Here, have a 20 minute documentary about Poison's Gender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lj-9npanOI

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Genitals are not gender. Poison is a woman.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Let's just end the discussion here and talk more poo poo about SFV instead.
This is a completely wrong thread for that.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jack Trades posted:

It depends on if you're talking about the Japanese or American version of Final Fight.

Please pivot.

---

SFV took out a lot of BS stuff SF4 had: stupid knockdown ~~vortex~~ pressure (since I know some of you hate that term), OSs for everything under the sun, 1f links on everything, FADC as a whole. However it also took out everything interesting SF4 had, while still leaving us with a quite similar base and adding some issues of its own (zoning is a lot weaker, BUTTONS are the meta, extended hurtboxes makes every normal feel like garbage, sweked risk-reward on jumps). Coupled with the technical issues the game's been plagued with, I couldn't say it's better than SF4 with a straight face.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dias posted:

SFV took out a lot of BS stuff SF4 had: stupid knockdown ~~vortex~~ pressure (since I know some of you hate that term), OSs for everything under the sun, 1f links on everything, FADC as a whole. However it also took out everything interesting SF4 had, while still leaving us with a quite similar base and adding some issues of its own (zoning is a lot weaker, BUTTONS are the meta, extended hurtboxes makes every normal feel like garbage, sweked risk-reward on jumps). Coupled with the technical issues the game's been plagued with, I couldn't say it's better than SF4 with a straight face.

SF4 is by no means is a great game. All of the problems that you've pointed out are totally valid.
Just like you said though, SFV compensated too extremely into the opposite direction, removing all the interesting mechanics and boiling down 90% of the characters into "Cody but with/without X".

Even ignoring the technical issues, both SF4 and SFV aren't great but SF4 has more interesting things going on for it and that's why I personally think that SF4 is way better than SFV.
I would've gladly played SFV even with all it's tech problems if it just removed SF4's bullshit without removing everything fun about the game as well.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
My actual face when lobbies still don't work and you have to rely on 5 minute waits inbetween each new fight to play.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
8 frame delay and long load times between matches is enough to keep me from buying this game.

They also need to fix Balrog/Boxer.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It's okay to let this thread die guys. Like, I don't know if you are all waiting on someone to give you permission to move on with your lives or whatever but here it is. I am giving you permission.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Jack Trades posted:

SF4 is by no means is a great game. All of the problems that you've pointed out are totally valid.
Just like you said though, SFV compensated too extremely into the opposite direction, removing all the interesting mechanics and boiling down 90% of the characters into "Cody but with/without X".

Even ignoring the technical issues, both SF4 and SFV aren't great but SF4 has more interesting things going on for it and that's why I personally think that SF4 is way better than SFV.
I would've gladly played SFV even with all it's tech problems if it just removed SF4's bullshit without removing everything fun about the game as well.

What "interesting" things does 4 have? All I can think of is more ways to not have to block and ultras, which are bad things. Please don't say focus attack\FADC

Mad Lupine posted:

They also need to fix Balrog/Boxer.

Balrog isnt bad what do you think is wrong with him

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 28, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nodoze posted:

What "interesting" things does 4 have? All I can think of is more ways to not have to block and ultras, which are bad things. Please don't say focus attack\FADC

Zoning being an actual thing for starters?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Nothing in SF5 has given me the joy of holding all the kick buttons as Juri and just waiting for zangief to think he could do anything.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

zelah posted:

Nothing in SF5 has given me the joy of holding all the kick buttons as Juri and just waiting for zangief to think he could do anything.

Vega's far medium kick is amazing against Gief as well.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sf4 is a game with oki, complete characters, and zoning so it's a better game

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ultras were bad because they were big damage for free, but I'll take that over every vtrigger being a wet fart or a set of buffs that should just be the character

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Pomp posted:

Sf4 is a game with oki, complete characters, and zoning so it's a better game

I remember the ongoing joke was "SF5 is gonna come out and everyone is gonna pine for the days of SF4 because everyone is retarded," but it turns out there's just a long-standing tradition of Capcom being totally incompetent and moreso with every iteration of the series.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'd take a Hugo w/ all the required V-fuckovers to convert him to this game over all 3 of the characters I know in SFV. I'd guess that would involve taking away all his armor moves and getting a V-Skill like Uriens and his only super would be the anti air one with an even more terrible arc through the air.

Edit: I really really hate the look of SF4 though. Everyone looks like a chunky fatty boom boom and the faces all look like japanese cartoon parody versions of old decent SF people.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 28, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Plus V-Triggers share one of FADC's big problems - a free get-in card as soon as you have meter - while actually being a lot safer, cheaper and easier to execute. SFV did make the wakeup life a bit less stupid (and I really like the concept of crush counters on DPs), but it also made knockdowns a lot worse, so at the end I still think it balances out in favor of the defender. Really, when the game came out I predicted it would become a turtlefest and although I was wrong, I feel it's just because it's harder to react to stuff. Even then, Chun and Ryu are still considered top-tier by most people because they play stupidly safe while still being able to convert into good damage.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
sometimes i wake up in a cold sweat at night, with an acidic taste in the back of my mouth and my heart racing. i can't remember exactly what horrific visage visited me in my dreams at first, but then...then i start piecing the images together: a scarf, a fist, that hitbox that once was amazing reduced to pieces, torn apart like a wild bear's prey...

it was...it was rose's cr.mp in sfv

some things are better left alone

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

Plus V-Triggers share one of FADC's big problems - a free get-in card as soon as you have meter - while actually being a lot safer, cheaper and easier to execute. SFV did make the wakeup life a bit less stupid (and I really like the concept of crush counters on DPs), but it also made knockdowns a lot worse, so at the end I still think it balances out in favor of the defender. Really, when the game came out I predicted it would become a turtlefest and although I was wrong, I feel it's just because it's harder to react to stuff. Even then, Chun and Ryu are still considered top-tier by most people because they play stupidly safe while still being able to convert into good damage.

You reminded me of something everyone forgets

Some CC buttons have the same or worse reward on counter hit than normal :frogbon:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lmao, that's right. Some CC buttons barely let you combo anything.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Dias posted:

SFV did make the wakeup life a bit less stupid (and I really like the concept of crush counters on DPs), but it also made knockdowns a lot worse, so at the end I still think it balances out in favor of the defender.

Really? I took exactly the opposite away from SFV coming from SF4. Vortexes were only with a few characters, and even then, you had a decent option select with a few characters. There was also a high degree of difficulty in executing most of those vortexes that was easy to mess up and leave you wide open to a DP, Throw on wakeup or Ultra worst case scenario. In SFV, I feel the defender is almost always the underdog, meaty hits abound and are hard to punish, and you'll end up being thrown on wakeup about 1/3 of the time. The other meta there is buffering an arbitrary number of light hits between 1-2 hits and THEN a tick throw. I've come close to eating my controller after the 3rd or 4th cycle of that.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
A game where the defender is at a disadvantage? Sounds terrible!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Illuminado posted:

Really? I took exactly the opposite away from SFV coming from SF4. Vortexes were only with a few characters, and even then, you had a decent option select with a few characters. There was also a high degree of difficulty in executing most of those vortexes that was easy to mess up and leave you wide open to a DP, Throw on wakeup or Ultra worst case scenario. In SFV, I feel the defender is almost always the underdog, meaty hits abound and are hard to punish, and you'll end up being thrown on wakeup about 1/3 of the time. The other meta there is buffering an arbitrary number of light hits between 1-2 hits and THEN a tick throw. I've come close to eating my controller after the 3rd or 4th cycle of that.

But you could do all of that in SF4 too, also that's called "playing Rose", hehe. Meaty and tick throw pressure were always a thing, and they were actually more threatening in SF4 due to better throw ranges (and faster startups), better frame advantage (jab jab into 500 damage!) and more active frames on meaty normals. So you had the same options AND also the oki pressure off hard knockdowns. I still think the only things that makes the defender's life harder in V are the lack of the three-bar free getaway and the fact that everything seems to be balanced towards the game being a guessfest. Again, it's kind of what I mean when I say "game traded its weaknesses for different ones". Oh, you can't mash DP to get out of blockstrings, but now pressure is a lot shorter and predictable! You can't FADC out of everything, but now knockdowns are a lot less threatening! You can't defensive throw, but it's VERY hard to get a true tick-throw setup! You get my point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Jmcrofts posted:

A game where the defender is at a disadvantage? Sounds terrible!

Right, I'm merely presenting my interpretation, which contrasts with Dias', in that I think the defender doesn't have an advantage in the wakeup game, not whether they ought to or not.

Edit: @Dias last post, that makes more sense. I think that guessing game, RPS mechanic, is my biggest gripe with the wakeup game in this iteration, without the option select wakeup throws are a lot more viable an option, but you still have the hi/low game, AND as well as some vortex setups, though really only with ~3-4 characters. I don't mind being at a disadvantage, that's part of the game, and I (occasionally) will reap the benefits, but so many hits don't feel as clean, hit ambiguously depending on vague counter hit priority.

Granted, I almost exclusively play Nash. So that could frame my experience differently, but I get the same feel watching other characters dealing with that the same way.

For Nash, specifically, his V-Trigger is supposed to be a "get out of jail free card", except that it has a decent amount of start up that can be interrupted in most of those wakeup cases, so you can't really rely on it to bail you out, and if that is stuffed you don't have a 3fr to counter effectively, and that pressure becomes a steep uphill battle.

Edit edit, words are hard.

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 28, 2016