Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ImpAtom posted:

So... to be clear here.

Comey felt it was 'very important' to send a notice to congress that emails were found that were neither to or from Hillary Clinton and may in fact be duplicates of emails and did this 11 days before the election in a complete violation of the FBI's intention to not influence the election?

What the gently caress is this poo poo?
If you're going to put yourself out on a limb like this you better have your facts straight. He got eviscerated almost immediately after pulling this stunt, which is good because we really don't need to set the precedent that the Director of the FBI can start influencing elections like Hoover's running the department again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Thank you, this is great.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Ahhh there's the good poo poo

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dork457 posted:

I apologize but I'm usually pretty good at keeping up with the thread but I need an update. How is the optics on Clinton calling this out? Earlier on it looked like it didn't need to be addressed by her campaign, let alone her.

edit for better wording

At this point she can mostly sit back and let everyone else devour Comey for A)Raising their hopes just to dash them, B)Stirring this poo poo back up for no goddamn reason, C)Making them look like idiots for scrambling to talk about this nothing that only looks more nothing by the minute.

If it's looking real bad by Monday she can maybe kick Comey while he's down a few times when asked about it by the press. But Comey is getting serious heat from most sides already, and he done really hosed up.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I hope this mess serves to discredit the narrative that the FBI is in the tank for Clinton.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Charlz Guybon posted:

I would think that if the Clinton campaign had any oppo to drop that they've been holding in reserve, now would be the time. So, I guess they have nothing.

Which is amazing to me. The only thing the campaign has dropped is the Alicia Machado thing in the first debate, the rest of Trump’s scandals have come from outside aources. How could the Clinton campaign have dug up so little on him?

To be fair they threw a shitload of stuff at him but this is this 'lol nothing matters' election so none of it mattered

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Pakled posted:

I hope this mess serves to discredit the narrative that the FBI is in the tank for Clinton.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Lol

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ImpAtom posted:

So... to be clear here.

Comey felt it was 'very important' to send a notice to congress that emails were found that were neither to or from Hillary Clinton and may in fact be duplicates of emails and did this 11 days before the election in a complete violation of the FBI's intention to not influence the election?

Don't forget that he furiously rushed to notify the adjourned Congress that isn't doing jack poo poo until after the election and hadn't been there for a while because it's goddamn election season.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If Hoover couldn't do that with all of his criminal dealings nothing will

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Also this is a friendly reminder if anyone hasn't seen Burn After Reading yet you should absolutely watch it because it's basically this election in movie form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlA9hmrC8DU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

greatn posted:

Ironically this was actually clintons policy. She had most emails hand delivered by secure courier because she didn't like screens.
Huh. Neat.

Gyges posted:

But do you us paraffin or beeswax to seal them with your signet?
Just scented candles from walmart. :smith:

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Ogmius815 posted:

Please explain why to me. I want to believe you but I'm just so worried.

Please seek therapy.

Pakled posted:

When the initial headlines were "FBI Investigation of Clinton emails reopened" with little more information than that, I don't blame some people for getting worked up. Now, the people who learned of the story and began panicking after it had already turned into "Clinton email thing is probably nothing," sure.

Nah arzying about this was always loving stupid.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Necc0 posted:

Bernie is a furious die-hard D&D effort-poster / LF bannerman
Cruz is that dedicated D&D troll who toes that fine line between getting under everyone's skin and never getting banned
Jeb is the GBS try-hard who lasted two weeks and got chased back to reddit
Ron Paul is the CSPAM king who doesn't realize he has a huge fanbase. posting from the heart 100% only to randomly disappear one day without warning
Gary Johnson is the guy you know posts in FYAD but he won't admit it
Jill Stein is BYOB as fuuuuuck but doesn't understand why everyone pegs her as such
Mitt Romney is SH/SC. That's it
Obama is that mod you've never heard of who drops in out of the blue to tell people to chill the gently caress out but doesn't actually probate anyone
Donald Trump is a 4chan poster who hasn't realized this isn't the forum for him yet
Hillary is Ask/Tell

You had me until Mitt Romney

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

So... to be clear here.

The most charitable interpretation is that he was just covering his own rear end regarding his testimony to Congress and didn't give a gently caress about thinking through the consequences if anyone else read it and had an attack of the EMAILS.

A less charitable interpretation is plausible, however, given that he has a history of throwing his weight around politically and he was a Bush lackey in the DOJ who seems to have inexplicably gotten the favor of the Obamas (the White House wanted him on the Supreme Court justice shortlist in 2009 and seem to have given him the Directorship as a consolation prize when liberals threw a fit over the possibility of putting him on the Court).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Necc0 posted:

Also this is a friendly reminder if anyone hasn't seen Burn After Reading yet you should absolutely watch it because it's basically this election in movie form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlA9hmrC8DU
God I love the end of that movie, it's so perfect

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hi people making fakeposts about how they are worried Hillary will lose now:

-Nobody not a deep red Republican has ever really cared about these loving emails

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

dont even fink about it posted:

Hi people making fakeposts about how they are worried Hillary will lose now:

-Nobody not a deep red Republican has ever really cared about these loving emails

Benghazi!

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
So, at this point the lasting impact is only on downballot races, and only to the extent that depressed republicans who were not going to vote have now decided to vote.

It wont make much of a difference, but the house is probably unreasonable to even faintly dream about unless Trump does something stupid again, and the Dems might win 1 fewer senate seat than they otherwise would, I think.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

skylined! posted:

Holy gently caress you arzying fucks.

If you genuinely believe that this is going to dramatically swing the election, that you have been following for months through literally hundreds of thousands of posts and hundreds of dirt stories on trump and thousands of non stories on Clinton then i don't know what the gently caress.

You don't have to think it will dramatically swing the election to think it's lovely.

skylined! posted:

Reacting to this poo poo with panic and discord is as irresponsible as the reporting on it.

No it's clearly loving not what the gently caress is wrong with you. Individuals freaking out is not as irresponsible as national media reporting on it. gently caress you.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

It did get me to schedule an overdue appointment with my therapist, so :shrug:.

I'm not kidding, nor do I demonize mental health care. Sometimes your brain needs a tune up, same as any other complicated machine. This election should be a wake up call for some folks that it might be time to take the ol think meats in for a servicing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Seriously this is the trump equivalent of dubya's DUI record

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol there was some poo poo on NPR, please don't derail today about people talking to their therapists about the election. Seems like it's been a pretty widespread thing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Northjayhawk posted:

So, at this point the lasting impact is only on downballot races, and only to the extent that depressed republicans who were not going to vote have now decided to vote.

It wont make much of a difference, but the house is probably unreasonable to even faintly dream about unless Trump does something stupid again, and the Dems might win 1 fewer senate seat than they otherwise would, I think.

This has gone so spectacularly pear shaped for Comey that it's probably not going to do more than rearrange deck chairs at this point.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gyges posted:

Don't forget that he furiously rushed to notify the adjourned Congress that isn't doing jack poo poo until after the election and hadn't been there for a while because it's goddamn election season.
:catstare: Are you fuckin' kidding me, get out of here with this poo poo. He couldn't leave a loving note in their cubby or something?

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
even before this renewed email stuff trumps chances of victory are around 90%. this thing just seals the deal

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Who could've known that when Bernie first said "Nobody wants to hear about your drat emails," he accidentally brushed up against the monkey's paw, ensuring that we would hear about them till the heat death of the universe?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

even before this renewed email stuff trumps chances of victory are around 90%. this thing just seals the deal

You are incorrect.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

"Which polls?"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Wait, didn't Trump win already?

The last debate and election were like a week ago?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nessus posted:

:catstare: Are you fuckin' kidding me, get out of here with this poo poo. He couldn't leave a loving note in their cubby or something?

October 7th was the last day they were in session(aside from pro-forma bullshit to keep Obama from making appointments). They will reconvene on November 14th.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Wait, didn't Trump win already?

The last debate and election were like a week ago?

Trump wins on november 28th

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

:allears:

You're several hours too late friendo. This thread is now about how long Comey survives the Clinton administration without getting fired/drone striked.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Wait are you making GBS threads me they made a stink over NOTHING? loving Republicans.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

Lol there was some poo poo on NPR, please don't derail today about people talking to their therapists about the election. Seems like it's been a pretty widespread thing.

There has been a few reports on that over the election and honestly I think it's pretty understandable. This has been a particularly contentious election.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

speng31b posted:

You don't have to think it will dramatically swing the election to think it's lovely.

No it's clearly loving not what the gently caress is wrong with you. Individuals freaking out is not as irresponsible as national media reporting on it. gently caress you.

Now you're arzying over the thought of not having a legitimate reason to arzy.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

GalacticAcid posted:

Anecdotally, my own therapist says their office has seen a huge spike. Admittedly I only found this out because I started going off about the election.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Alan Smithee posted:

You had me until Mitt Romney

Actually Mitt Romney is YOSPOS

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lightning Knight posted:

Wait are you making GBS threads me they made a stink over NOTHING? loving Republicans.
Welcome to the Republican Party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Nessus posted:

Welcome to the Republican Party

I mean gently caress tho at least the emails bullshit was SOMETHING.

• Locked thread