Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Bongo Bill posted:

it survived

He is sturdy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

I mean, you'd think that, but the question is whether or not they've budgeted out enough for the English recording to even modify the flaps :v:

I double mean, these are all free episodes so I can understand not going amazingly high budget on them, but the places they are obviously saving money tend to stand out.

Like how they don't have the budget to depict a full pokemon battle and just end the episode when they run out of money?

Although they actually finished the deoxys battle, that was impressive.

Beachcomber posted:

Chansey adorableness: 10/10
Old Gateaux: 0/10

I really like the ones that give you a window on how people live and work with Pokémon like Gabby and Ty and Poke-SWAT. The "and here is another legendary" ones are cool, but they're not all they can be.

TV meteorologist Castform: 10/10

It's nice how it's focused on "the world of pokemon" instead of "the adventures of Ash".

SpaceDrake posted:

Just remember that grass/ghost is... a bit of an odd typing. It gains a number of defenses (immune to norm/fight, resists ground/grass/water/electric), but also picks up a ton of vulnerabilities (fire/flying/ghost/ice/dark). So in general, the owl is either going to be safe or it's going to be slapped around - opponents are probably going to try to go for its weaknesses wherever possible.

It's also likely to be a physical attacker (given its bow-and-arrow nature) and while it's guaranteed to get a good Ghost attack in its arrow, we'll need to see what kind of Grass attacks it can learn. If it doesn't get Seed Bomb or Leaf Blade, its Grass attack options might be a bit limited (although Needle Arm would also make a certain amount of sense and has its own uses).

Ghost owl is cool, but even in the easy single player he might be a little hard to get maximum mileage out of. In postgame or multiplayer he might be especially hard to use. (Meanwhile, every indication is that siren seal is going to be fuckin' bonkers.)

I would guess that it's a fast mixed attacker like infernape or greninja. Also gourgeist and trevanent are kind of samey so it'd be nice to have a grass/ghost with a fast offensive build, those kind of pokemon are my wheelhouse.

Also who's Kevin?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

In the remakes yeah. You follow a crazy dragon cult lady who has a whimsur named after her dead daughter and you Mega Evolve Rayquaza and ride him into space.
It's been a while since I've played it, is the whismur being named after a dead person from the games or another source like the manga?

oddium posted:

reporter guy and girl have nothing on something awful goon reference Roxy and Oli

Who?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Also who's Kevin?

A character from another game series, Trails in the Sky.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

It's been a while since I've played it, is the whismur being named after a dead person from the games or another source like the manga?

It's from the games. An interview confirmed that it was the previous lorekeeper the Whismur was named after.

The reporter pair in Diamond and Pearl. Roxy was a reference to a Pokemon LP on this forum.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
gen 4 had lots of memes in it. it got kind of annoying actually

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

:wooper:http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Roxy_and_Oli#Trivia:wooper:

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

corn in the bible posted:

Goon translators.

My Pokémon is fight! Indeed

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

buff sing

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

corn in the bible posted:

What other memes were there besides the report and MY POKEMON IS FIGHT?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

One guy in the steel gym said the word owned, I think? :shrug:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dexie posted:

What other memes were there besides the report and MY POKEMON IS FIGHT?

"For massive damage" was actually said by one of the Galactic Grunts at some point.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
are you saying the pokemon world don't have memes or what?

also people who liked scaling exp needs to be forced to play gold/silver with scaling exp.

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 29, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tired Moritz posted:

also people who liked scaling exp needs to be forced to play gold/silver with scaling exp.

Why? The inherent hosed-ness of Gen 2's XP/Level curve is already loving broken, putting an XP curve is just making a broken thing even more broken, that proves no inherent flaw with curving XP, especially when there have been really really good and well balance pokemon games that have been out that USED that XP curve idea.

I mean you're right that an XP curve would be a dumb bad thing in an already broken game and wouldn't fix any problems that it already has but that's because Gen 2 is an awfully designed game for a lot of other reasons.

It's like saying "Anyone who likes baseball should try playing football with Baseballs". Well yeah that would suck. It's almost like it wasn't designed to have that in the first place.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 29, 2016

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Holy poo poo, you sure showed us :thumbsup:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Thanks RNG, I guess. Breeding for egg moves and out pops a shiny Cherubi.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

After breeding some pokemon with potentially decent shinies like Froakie, Machop and Beldum and getting nothing, a shiny Starly popped out.

It was modest with the wrong ability and trash IVs.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Why? The inherent hosed-ness of Gen 2's XP/Level curve is already loving broken, putting an XP curve is just making a broken thing even more broken, that proves no inherent flaw with curving XP, especially when there have been really really good and well balance pokemon games that have been out that USED that XP curve idea.

I mean you're right that an XP curve would be a dumb bad thing in an already broken game and wouldn't fix any problems that it already has but that's because Gen 2 is an awfully designed game for a lot of other reasons.

It's like saying "Anyone who likes baseball should try playing football with Baseballs". Well yeah that would suck. It's almost like it wasn't designed to have that in the first place.

LAY-ZX posted:

Holy poo poo, you sure showed us :thumbsup:

I just really hate scaling exp, geez. :cry: Though, Gen 2 with scaling exp admittedly sounds like every hard-mode rom hack, so they can just play that.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

SpaceDrake posted:

If the speculated movesets for Primarina are even remotely right, then yes it is going to be competitive because it's going to be a brick house in the shape of a mermaid. If it really does get Draining Kiss, it'll probably be harder to kill than Sylveon, which is terrifying.

Then all three water fairies will likely be OU at the very least

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I hope the guardians can be captured during the story and aren't a post-game thing. :swoon:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I wouldn't have a problem with scaling exp if it only scaled up, not down. Especially considering that Game Freak is encouraging people to go up to level 100 with Hyper Training.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dexie posted:

I hope the guardians can be captured during the story and aren't a post-game thing. :swoon:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tired Moritz posted:

I just really hate scaling exp, geez. :cry: Though, Gen 2 with scaling exp admittedly sounds like every hard-mode rom hack, so they can just play that.

You do realize you could keep the XP curve the exact same it has been for Gen 6 for at level and even over level pokemon but also add in Up scaling XP for lower level pokemon, right? You can actually totally get the best of both worlds in this situation without loving anything up.

Hell that would even let you constantly rotate pokemon in and out of your team, which is something they'ver kind of wanted to force players to do with the fact that you can only hold so many but never could do in a way that wasn't loving awful (See Gen6 XP Share that lets you catch up over level pokes but not without overleveling the at level people).

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Please don't gently caress the tiki fish

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Raserys posted:

Please don't gently caress the tiki fish

Too late.
It's been done.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Any datamine info on the availability of Cosplay Pikachu?

Cause god drat it, my wrestler team of Incineroar, Hawlucha, Emboar and Machamp could use Pikachu Libre :(

Still missing on a 6th member.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

lezard_valeth posted:

yes, she is gone

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

lezard_valeth posted:

Cause god drat it, my wrestler team of Incineroar, Hawlucha, Emboar and Machamp could use Pikachu Libre :(

What about Poliwrath?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I don't think you'll be able to get either Hawlucha or Emboar any time soon, pokebank's only opening up next year. There's a new punch dragon and punch crab this gen, though.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Avalerion posted:

I don't think you'll be able to get either Hawlucha or Emboar any time soon, pokebank's only opening up next year.

Yeah, a mere 6 weeks after release.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bump.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

less laughter posted:

A whole year :negative:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

less laughter posted:

that's more then enough time to have beat the game

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Are there ways of getting the other starter pokemons other than via the bank and praying you find a bw PD used in good condition and not incredibly expensive?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

You do realize you could keep the XP curve the exact same it has been for Gen 6 for at level and even over level pokemon but also add in Up scaling XP for lower level pokemon, right? You can actually totally get the best of both worlds in this situation without loving anything up.

Hell that would even let you constantly rotate pokemon in and out of your team, which is something they'ver kind of wanted to force players to do with the fact that you can only hold so many but never could do in a way that wasn't loving awful (See Gen6 XP Share that lets you catch up over level pokes but not without overleveling the at level people).

XP share + lucky egg is amazing. gently caress the complainers who think grinding XP and rerolling bullshitty RNG remotely even resembles actual skill in this pokemans. They are just the same class of whiny lvl 19 BG twink bitches in WoW.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 29, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Palladium posted:

XP share + lucky egg is amazing. gently caress the complainers who think grinding XP and rerolling bullshitty RNG remotely even resembles actual skill in this pokemans. They are just the same class of whiny lvl 19 BG twink bitches in WoW.

i don't understand the last sentence, but i know i don't like it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i mean i think i don't understand it, unless you really are complaining about 19 year old twinks, which are like, some of the hottest people ever sooooo

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

lezard_valeth posted:

Hariyama is a Sumo Wrestler.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

PSWII60 posted:

Thanks RNG, I guess. Breeding for egg moves and out pops a shiny Cherubi.

What did you name it?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Palladium posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

LAY-ZX posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Twink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Thanks to DACK FAYDEN for posting the Amazon pre-order link a couple pages back, since 31.99 is a good price! Hypothetically assuming I'm not tempted to get both versions, is there a good place to find a consolidated list of differences between them? What version(s) are people planning on getting?

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 29, 2016