Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Nessus posted:

Reagan was a semi-decent actor, and also cut their taxes, so of course they think he was a pillar of all that is good.

I like trying to tell my mom that, no Republicans were always terrible, the reality you remember never happened, as being born in 1967, you were coming of age well after the Southern Strategy had been put into effect and Reagan was being a total fuckhead. Never mind all that poo poo show grandstanding through the 90s and the loving Bush Years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CapnAndy posted:

I swear to God I'm this close to taking a ballot selfie out of sheer civic disobedience, the laws are stupid and obviously unconstitutional and they make me mad. I don't even like selfies!

No, it's a good law that maintains the sanctity of the voting booth and makes it impossible for you to be forced to vote for someone.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

I swear to God I'm this close to taking a ballot selfie out of sheer civic disobedience, the laws are stupid and obviously unconstitutional and they make me mad. I don't even like selfies!

that law's there to protect you, and is actually extremely good

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Stereotype posted:

I am watching a frontline documentary on the first gulf war, and drat Bush Sr was a fuckup idiot just like his son.

He just got lucky that the military establishment at the time was super gunshy after Vietnam instead of suicidally hawkish like it was for Bush 2 after 911 or Clinton would have been stuck with the 2003 Iraq quagmire in 1993.

gently caress republicans are bad as hell at competently leading. No wonder they still reference Reagan (who was also bad)

In case you've never seen this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YENbElb5-xY

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Nessus posted:

OK, so - assuming this drat email file actually does contain a couple of emails Huma sent from Weiner's computer, as opposed to "emails Huma sent to Weiner from work, possibly about dinner or returning the netflix DVDs" - she did not in fact commit perjury, as she very likely legitimately forgot about tapping out a couple of emails in 2011.

Now I realize that she was already guilty due to being associated with Killary Hitlerton, but I just wanted to double check that this isn't like the Bill/Monica thing.
Couldn't you just hit the VOTE ALL R, take your picture, then hit VOTE ALL D and continue on your way?

Yea it'd depend on context. An email saying the good wife is on at 8 vs here's how to cover up Benghazi

Or like with bill Clinton. Would you forget your aide gave you a bj? And how long would it reasonably take you to forget that?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah HRC will have every right to get him to resign. BTW I was wondering but considering quite a bit of the extreme right gets funding from Moscow is it possible to charge them with any laws detailing abetting the enemy?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Carlosologist posted:

this is a great tweet, this thread needs some levity

https://twitter.com/xxxjayglo/status/792039225877299200

Grounded To My Bed For Voting Johnson

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah HRC will have every right to get him to resign.

Don't be stupid, if Comey resigns over this, the Republicans will accuse Clinton of corruption! Why, they might even make it difficult for Obama or Clinton to appoint a replacement!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

EwokEntourage posted:

Yea it'd depend on context. An email saying the good wife is on at 8 vs here's how to cover up Benghazi
Uh those sound equally bad to me? We just don't know. guess I oughta vote Trump.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah HRC will have every right to get him to resign. BTW I was wondering but considering quite a bit of the extreme right gets funding from Moscow is it possible to charge them with any laws detailing abetting the enemy?

I'm curious how you think she'll be able to force him to resign.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Chocolate Chunk posted:

It's so that your boss can't force you to take a picture with your ballot that shows you voting Trump in order to remain at your job. If nobody is allowed to take photos, then your rear end in a top hat boss can't do anything to you.
But your boss forcing you to take the picture is already an illegal act, and is the much more important act to keep illegal, not the picture taking part, in part because:

Nessus posted:

Couldn't you just hit the VOTE ALL R, take your picture, then hit VOTE ALL D and continue on your way?
Ballot selfies are incredibly easy to fake if you're actually under duress to prove you're voting a certain way.

The laws against them try to target an already illegal act, miss horribly, and do nothing but legislate free expression of political speech. gently caress them.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

We are not currently nor have we ever officially been at war with Russia, so no.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SimonCat posted:

drone strike Ask him very politely to not continue and if he absolutely insists that he is entitled to his job as described, cut him out entirely and appoint a replacement guy while leaving him to order Agent Cooper around the Laura Palmer case and nothing else.

CapnAndy posted:

But your boss forcing you to take the picture is already an illegal act, and is the much more important act to keep illegal, not the picture taking part, in part because:
Ballot selfies are incredibly easy to fake if you're actually under duress to prove you're voting a certain way.

The laws against them try to target an already illegal act, miss horribly, and do nothing but legislate free expression of political speech. gently caress them.
What I think you're overlooking here is that your employer has a lot of money, while you will have zero monies if you are fired, which may lead to outcomes such as homelessness and your children starving in the streets. And until recently there was also the exciting possibility that SCOTUS would decide, in a 5-4 decision, that yes: your employer CAN decide to fire you for who you voted for, and require you to provide proof.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

SimonCat posted:

The president has the absolute power to fire the director of the FBI.

It just looks very bad which is why it has only been done once. If you want someone gone, its usually understood that you'll ask them for their resignation, and they'll usually give it to avoid the spectacle of being fired.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Technically your boss can't fire you for voting the wrong way. Like all other "you can't fire people for x" laws it's incredibly easy to get around by technically firing them for some other nitpick a few weeks later and then denying you made them show you the picture.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Everything I don't like is unconstitutional.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

SimonCat posted:

Saying 'you can either resign or be publicly fired, your choice!' works in about 98% of cases.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Guy Goodbody posted:

No, it's a good law that maintains the sanctity of the voting booth and makes it impossible for you to be forced to vote for someone.

Yeah, the best way to make sure you can't force someone to vote the way you want them to is to make sure they're the one that's punished.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Technically your boss can't fire you for voting the wrong way. Like all other "you can't fire people for x" laws it's incredibly easy to get around by technically firing them for some other nitpick a few weeks later and then denying you made them show you the picture.

Yep, it's even easier in a Right-To-Work state, which needs no excuse to terminate your employment.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

SimonCat posted:

You know, bury him in bureaucracy.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Grounded To My Bed For Voting Johnson

Pounded In The Butt By My Johnson Vote

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

I support anti-selfie laws.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
By the way, message to the media, if you are going to give excessive coverage to this email poo poo, which we now know is bullshit that wont implicate Clinton at all, maybe you could also just maybe dedicate one or two paragraphs to Trump's civil rape trial coming up in December? Yes, I know its probably crap, but that never stopped you before, so be fair. Just right before the election, let everyone know that Trump is about to not just defend himself against a MASSIVE fraud with Trump university, but also with the civil rape case of a minor.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

duz posted:

Yeah, the best way to make sure you can't force someone to vote the way you want them to is to make sure they're the one that's punished.

Employers wield disproportionate power in our society and legal system; the burden of proof that your firing is retaliation is difficult, especially if you find yourself without income to hire an attorney. Then there's at-will employment and binding arbitration clauses, so the best way to make sure this ends up not being an issue is to make sure there is no incentive for people to enable the vote-monitoring via mobile phone photos.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

Young Freud posted:

Yep, it's even easier in a Right-To-Work state, which needs no excuse to terminate your employment.

You're talking about at-will employment, not right-to-work which involves not being forced to pay union fees.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

PhazonLink posted:

Oh wow.

Also the bracelets thing sounds like the most loopholest loophole thing ever. But in a good way.

In NC voters are allowed to wear buttons of who they want to vote for, they just can't campaign for who they are voting for while in line. It's free speech to say "I'm going to vote for Hillary" and wearing a :abuela: button or sticker is the non-verbal way of doing said free speech. HOWEVER, states can and do legislate that active campaigning cannot happen within a certain distance of a voting booth.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Bobby Digital posted:

Pounded In The Butt By My Johnson Vote

Pounded In The Butt By My Deez Nutz Write In Vote

Where the hell is the timeline with Johnson/Deez Nutz winning the election?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
You people have weird home lives my mom never pounded me in the butt.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Nessus posted:

Uh those sound equally bad to me? We just don't know. guess I oughta vote Trump.

Jill stein recognizes that emails burn your children, so maybe vote for her (and protect the children)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

^^^ if for some reason I could not bring myself to vote for Hillary Clinton, perhaps because she personally swore to destroy me, I would vote Harambe instead

Northjayhawk posted:

By the way, message to the media, if you are going to give excessive coverage to this email poo poo, which we now know is bullshit that wont implicate Clinton at all, maybe you could also just maybe dedicate one or two paragraphs to Trump's civil rape trial coming up in December? Yes, I know its probably crap, but that never stopped you before, so be fair. Just right before the election, let everyone know that Trump is about to not just defend himself against a MASSIVE fraud with Trump university, but also with the civil rape case of a minor.
That sounds like liberal bias to me, better not, just to be safe.

Alternately, they know Trump will sue the gently caress out of them. This is why they referred to his sexual assault tape as "lewd remarks," because THAT they wouldn't get sued over, as they were undeniably that very thing, but saying "Trump admitted to sexual assault" = "rapid lawsuit."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Voting area sanctity also helps protect other people from getting their poo poo snapped when they should absolutely be able to expect enhanced privacy.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Casimir Radon posted:

Somebody photoshop Trump's head onto Baron Harkonen's body.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Baron Harkonnen would probably be a better president than Trump

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Beautiful

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

:perfect:

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Don't be stupid, if Comey resigns over this, the Republicans will accuse Clinton of corruption! Why, they might even make it difficult for Obama or Clinton to appoint a replacement!

I think this might be one of those positions it's actually not politically advantageous to obstruct. It makes the Republicans look reeeeeeally bad the next time a domestic terrorist attack happens.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sensible Thursday posted:

I think this might be one of those positions it's actually not politically advantageous to obstruct. It makes the Republicans look reeeeeeally bad the next time a domestic terrorist attack happens.
Real bad to who, exactly?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Complaint Compilation posted:

:stare:

Ok:

I'll not apologize for being cheesy, if you've got the time, listen to this. pro-est click.

As someone who was pretty much raised by wolves, and has been without a home before, the grace given by strangers is the only reason I post here and make my lovely jokes, with too many smilies.
MOTHER OF EXILES. That has always meant so much, struck me hard. Turning away people who require help, serious help, is beyond abysmal if the reason is "I'm scared, they're different!" :ohdear:

sry.

Don't be sorry for that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nessus posted:

Yeah. Similarly, ten babies is a shellacking

Actually, I think you'll find you can varnish a whole lot of surface area with ten babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Sensible Thursday posted:

If Comey steps down there would be an interim director until a proper nomination / confirmation takes place.

Now, if the GOP hounds the interim director to keep investigating President Clinton while they keep stonewalling her nomination and the DOJ is stuck spinning their wheels and then

an old white supremacist shoots up the Holocaust Museum

a young white supremacist shoots up a historic black church

a white male shoots up a Sikh temple because he wanted to kill Muslims

a while male executes three Muslim neighbors over a parking dispute. Yeah. I believe that.

domestic terrorist attacks don't happen.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 30, 2016

• Locked thread