Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Sensible Thursday posted:

I think this might be one of those positions it's actually not politically advantageous to obstruct. It makes the Republicans look reeeeeeally bad the next time a domestic terrorist attack happens.

Why would it? It'd be the Democrats' fault they fired Comey in that case. The only rule of American politics is that it's always the Democrats' fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Northjayhawk posted:

The president has the absolute power to fire the director of the FBI.

It just looks very bad which is why it has only been done once. If you want someone gone, its usually understood that you'll ask them for their resignation, and they'll usually give it to avoid the spectacle of being fired.

Also said director of the FBI might have a literal trunk full of blackmail material on you.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Sensible Thursday posted:

I think this might be one of those positions it's actually not politically advantageous to obstruct. It makes the Republicans look reeeeeeally bad the next time a domestic terrorist attack happens.

It's the Democrats' fault for not nominating an acceptable candidate like Joe Arpaio.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Bip Roberts posted:

Also said director of the FBI might have a literal trunk full of blackmail material on you.

This is why we've set up the CIA and FBI and NSA to all hate each other more than they hate any given President. 90% of our information awareness programs is aimed at the other domestic information gathering agencies to ensure our agents remain sharp and our AI's rock steady. All of our agents ride the merry-go-round of guilt and, due to the social costs of subversive behavior, will remain loyal.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Either Clinton is unremittingly delusional as Trump or she is aware of valid reasoning to have a phone banking op running in NE-2 this close to the election. Got called earlier asking if I had time to volunteer.

Granted I picked a hell of a time to buy a house and will be lucky if I have 20 spare minutes between now and election day but the fact that there's still some kind of ground game in a place like this in a time where you aren't making hail marys.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FAUXTON posted:

Either Clinton is unremittingly delusional as Trump or she is aware of valid reasoning to have a phone banking op running in NE-2 this close to the election. Got called earlier asking if I had time to volunteer.

Granted I picked a hell of a time to buy a house and will be lucky if I have 20 spare minutes between now and election day but the fact that there's still some kind of ground game in a place like this in a time where you aren't making hail marys.

Phone Banks don't just call people within your state, if I recall properly.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I thought NE-2 was polling close?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Why does Trump get a pass on his draft dodging. I'm wondering because of that discussion of swift boating a couple pages back. Kerry is actually there and hurt in the line of duty and loses the election for it, Trump never got closers than California and it's even a concern for the war mongering R base

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

terrorist ambulance posted:

Why does Trump get a pass on his draft dodging. I'm wondering because of that discussion of swift boating a couple pages back. Kerry is actually there and hurt in the line of duty and loses the election for it, Trump never got closers than California and it's even a concern for the war mongering R base

The Republican base doesn't actually care about the military at all.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Because he has an R next to his name.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

FAUXTON posted:

Downballot?

I did volunteer work for the local office before and they really want me to come back in for final prep but I'm swamped now with school work and helping my parents sell their business. I feel bad because I live in an area where it might actually matter but I just don't have the time. :smith:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bip Roberts posted:

I thought NE-2 was polling close?

I have no clue. Might be, but they hosed the district in 2010, swapped out heavily hispanic areas around Offutt with white suburban trash.

E: Down ballot, possibly. No Senators are up IIRC but our representative, Ashford, is in a race with a piece of garbage named Don Bacon. Naturally I'm expecting the loving idiots around here to vote for hurr durr bacon narwhal le upvote.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 30, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FAUXTON posted:

Clinton also has money to burn at this phase in the operation, and I am quite sure she has plans to spend every last god drat dollar of it

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The reason why Republicans don't mind an R draft dodger president while calling a D war hero a coward is the same reason Republicans don't mind an R congress cutting the State Department's security budget while accusing a D secretary of state of hating America because she can't afford to approve every request for security funding.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Well it looks like the mainstream is going with Comey needing to justify himself now, so good on Clinton on saying she wanted more information.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crowsbeak posted:

Well it looks like the mainstream is going with Comey needing to justify himself now, so good on Clinton on saying she wanted more information.

And when he arrests Hillary and Huma for being the secret lesbian leaders of ISIS on Monday? What then?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Has anyone ever heard of a Libertarian advocating for a universal basic income? Because I have an acquaintance from high school who seems to be trying to combine those two ideas, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how.

I just witnessed him go on an extreme Facebook tangent that started, somehow, with pointing out that "...Jesus....Socrates...were killed by state power," and it only got less coherent from there.

Yes. Very much so - Libertarians tend to view it as the most free-market form of benefit, and there are some potential efficiency gains since you aren't managing a bunch of different programs all disbursing small individual benefits.

quote:

In any case, these ideas are circumscribed by traditional boundaries. Neither is a truly radical small-government idea alternative. But one idea that Frum highlighted is more radical: a guaranteed basic income, otherwise known as just giving people money.

The idea isn’t new. As Frum notes, Friederich Hayek endorsed it. In 1962, the libertarian economist Milton Friedman advocated a minimum guaranteed income via a “negative income tax.” In 1967, Martin Luther King Jr. said, “The solution to poverty is to abolish it directly by a now widely discussed measure: the guaranteed income.” Richard Nixon unsuccessfully tried to pass a version of Friedman’s plan a few years later, and his Democratic opponent in the 1972 presidential election, George McGovern, also suggested a guaranteed annual income.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/08/why-arent-reformicons-pushing-a-guaranteed-basic-income/375600/

It's probably one of those ideas that's popular with everyone until you get down to the details. When you get to the part about "this needs to be enough to live on", "no, you don't get to tell people what to spend it on", and "this replaces your food stamps and other benefit programs" then everyone can find something to hate about it and it dies in a massive tug-of-war between the parties.

For a UBI to really work it's probably going to have to be higher than the total of various individual benefit programs though. The real problem isn't efficiency, after all poor people aren't paying admin costs out of their benefits, it's just that poor/minimum-wage people don't have enough to live on no matter how fine the disbursements are sliced. Overall we probably need to increase benefits by 50-100% and you just can't get that from efficiency gains.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 30, 2016

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Way I see it, who is going to call him out? Clinton? She's called a hawk as it is, and she's already called him out on disrespect to military families. It's a fine line to tread for her.

McMullin recently did in some tweets, I think.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

freckle posted:

And when he arrests Hillary and Huma for being the secret lesbian leaders of ISIS on Monday? What then?

1/10 Bad troll.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crowsbeak posted:

1/10 Bad troll.

No bad troll. No bad troll. You're the bad troll.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

This thread is a mess. Sad!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Joking aside, what would happen if Comey said "gently caress it" and tried to charge/arrest/whatever Hillary this close to the election? Long-term it'd almost definitely destroy him, sure, but it seems like short-term that could just throw everything off the rails with doubt and chaos being sown, both in the electorate and in general. If he legitimately didn't care about his future (or thought President Trump could pardon him), could he or someone else try to pull something like that, and how would it and its effects on the election be resolved?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 30, 2016

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Roland Jones posted:

Joking aside, what would happen if Comey said "gently caress it" and tried to charge/arrest/whatever Hillary this close to the election? Long-term it'd almost definitely destroy him, sure, but it seems like short-term that could just throw everything off the rails with doubt and chaos being sown, both in the electorate and in general. If he legitimately didn't care about his future (or thought President Trump could pardon him), could he or someone else try to pull something like that?

I mean theoretically he could. There's a reason poo poo like that hasn't been done in modern society though. It would almost certainly cause huge amounts of chaos and the precedent it set could tear our Republic in two.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Republican voters (and this is all of them not just the base) only care about two things. Cutting taxes and sticking it to everyone that isn't a white male over 30. Individually the level at which they care about those two things might differ but as long as the GOP promised those they will vote faithfully. Not even criminalizing abortion is as big an issue although it counts if you realize the point is to punish women for having sex and not saving the unborn.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

djw175 posted:

I mean theoretically he could. There's a reason poo poo like that hasn't been done in modern society though. It would almost certainly cause huge amounts of chaos and the precedent it set could tear our Republic in two.

Well, yeah, that's the thing. But with Comey being such a blatantly partisan hack and Trump's... Trumpiness and everything else that's happened, it seems like it could happen, so now I'm wondering, could Comey just decide to gently caress over the country like that, and is there anything that could be done to stop everything from going to poo poo afterward?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wait can Comey charge people? I thought the Department of Justice did that and the FBI's role was just to investigate and recommend charges or not.

He could recommend charges but I don't see the DoJ acting on that recommendation without additional evidence.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If Comey was gonna do something insane like arrest Hillary Clinton on suspicion of being a Democrat, I imagine he would have actually gone ahead with it instead of this wimpy-rear end bullshit.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I honestly can't understand why the press in the last 24 hours been all horribly unbalanced "emails, Huma, emails, emails, FBI, emails, FBI, FBI, FBI, FBI, emails, Clintons didn't get building permits for renovating their house, Huma, emails, Huma, emails" despite a new tape showing Donald Trump's horrible behaviour towards Jennifer Hawkins, the Washington Post calling 420+ charities that Donald Trump purportedly supported and only finding 1 actual donation and just about everything else that is out there on him.

How the hell is this even possible? Just a little while ago, a bunch of journalists were writing self-flagellating editorials about how the press has done the public an immense disservice in creating this sense of false equivalency between Clinton and Trump in this election and how they need to up their game and get back to remembering what they're supposed to be doing instead of just chasing eyeballs, and yet it's 10 days out from the election and they pull this kind of idiocy?

Most times when I'm having an awful day, I look at Clinton and I feel absolutely inspired, because no matter what sexism I experienced that day, Clinton undoubtedly has it a million times worse - and she just shrugs it off like a boss and keeps going.

Other times - like right now - it's just honestly disheartening. If it was simply the age-old matter of "a woman has to be twice as good to be considered half as competent as a man", fine. I can deal with that. It's unfair, but life is unfair, and it's not such an insurmountable deterrence. The fact that Clinton, first female US presidential candidate, who is objectively the most qualified candidate ever in this position still has to put up with this crap against Trump, who is objectively the least qualified candidate ever, is just mind-boggling. On days like this, seeing the double standards play out, just makes me want to throw in the towel. Clinton is a million times smarter, more ambitious, more capable, more competent and has greater grit and tenacity than I ever have or ever will - yet she still can't conquer this myth of being equal to or less than Donald Trump of all people. If she has no hope, then neither do I nor any other woman.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Leng posted:

I honestly can't understand why the press in the last 24 hours been all horribly unbalanced "emails, Huma, emails, emails, FBI, emails, FBI, FBI, FBI, FBI, emails, Clintons didn't get building permits for renovating their house, Huma, emails, Huma, emails" despite a new tape showing Donald Trump's horrible behaviour towards Jennifer Hawkins, the Washington Post calling 420+ charities that Donald Trump purportedly supported and only finding 1 actual donation and just about everything else that is out there on him.

How the hell is this even possible? Just a little while ago, a bunch of journalists were writing self-flagellating editorials about how the press has done the public an immense disservice in creating this sense of false equivalency between Clinton and Trump in this election and how they need to up their game and get back to remembering what they're supposed to be doing instead of just chasing eyeballs, and yet it's 10 days out from the election and they pull this kind of idiocy?

Most times when I'm having an awful day, I look at Clinton and I feel absolutely inspired, because no matter what sexism I experienced that day, Clinton undoubtedly has it a million times worse - and she just shrugs it off like a boss and keeps going.

Other times - like right now - it's just honestly disheartening. If it was simply the age-old matter of "a woman has to be twice as good to be considered half as competent as a man", fine. I can deal with that. It's unfair, but life is unfair, and it's not such an insurmountable deterrence. The fact that Clinton, first female US presidential candidate, who is objectively the most qualified candidate ever in this position still has to put up with this crap against Trump, who is objectively the least qualified candidate ever, is just mind-boggling. On days like this, seeing the double standards play out, just makes me want to throw in the towel. Clinton is a million times smarter, more ambitious, more capable, more competent and has greater grit and tenacity than I ever have or ever will - yet she still can't conquer this myth of being equal to or less than Donald Trump of all people. If she has no hope, then neither do I nor any other woman.

It's very simple: coverage of Trump earns money. A close race earns money, a blowout, other than a short period, doesn't. It's boring. It's not good TV.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
https://twitter.com/dubstep4dads/status/790298630100021249

:perfect:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Leng posted:

Our species' capacity for spontaneous self-organization tops out at around two hundred individuals while our technological development requires several orders of magnitude more than that, and growing rapidly. We can't even avoid damaging the only planet capable of sustaining us, even when the consequences play out on human timescales. At the same time we're not quite smart enough to modify ourselves enough that our biology is a better fit for our technological development and even if we progress enough where that becomes an option soon, the idea of it might tear our society apart rather than save us.

Even if Trump doesn't destroy us, something else probably will, and sooner than we think.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I didn't know twitter avatars could be gifs. It's sorta annoying actually.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 30, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Kilroy posted:

Our species' capacity for spontaneous self-organization tops out at around two hundred individuals while our technological development requires several orders of magnitude more than that, and growing rapidly. We can't even avoid damaging the only planet capable of sustaining us, even when the consequences play out on human timescales. At the same time we're not quite smart enough to modify ourselves enough that our biology is a better fit for our technological development and even if we progress enough where that becomes an option soon, the idea of it might tear our society apart rather than save us.

Even if Trump doesn't destroy us, something else probably will, and sooner than we think.

So what you are saying is we need JC Denton to merge with Helios?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Leng posted:

The current media consensus seems to be "WTF Comey???", and that emerged pretty quick after they realized there wasn't actually any meat to the story. CNN even threw up an op ed piece on its front page calling for Comey to resign soon after the "story" broke.

Still plenty of media outlets that immediately and enthusiastically went for (and are still going for) the HILLARY WEINER SEX SCANDAL EMAILS angle of course, and it's obvious the same incentives for clickbait are causing more of the same problems they have all election, but there seems to be some marginal improvement? :shrug:

...I really can't wait for a serious post-election media reckoning though. It'll probably never come because they'll all be too busy covering whatever new "scandal" the Republicans have dug up or giddily reporting on the Hillary administration's appointments and policy implementation etc. and pretending everything's fine now haha see it all turned out ok in the end. :sigh:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Kilroy posted:

This... has nothing to do with what the post you are replying to said?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Combed Thunderclap posted:

The current media consensus seems to be "WTF Comey???", and that emerged pretty quick after they realized there wasn't actually any meat to the story. CNN even threw up an op ed piece on its front page calling for Comey to resign soon after the "story" broke.

Still plenty of media outlets that immediately and enthusiastically went for (and are still going for) the HILLARY WEINER SEX SCANDAL EMAILS angle of course, and it's obvious the same incentives for clickbait are causing more of the same problems they have all election, but there seems to be some marginal improvement? :shrug:

...I really can't wait for a serious post-election media reckoning though. It'll probably never come because they'll all be too busy covering whatever new "scandal" the Republicans have dug up or giddily reporting on the Hillary administration's appointments and policy implementation etc. and pretending everything's fine now haha see it all turned out ok in the end. :sigh:

The post-media reckoning will be focusing on whatever nothingburger scandal of the month the GOP finds on Hillary, endless congressional hearings on Benghazi/emails/Weiners/Cattle futures/Lesbian affairs.

And we will never have a functioning government because it means we'll never get a Congress that isn't controlled by stonewalling GOP types!

We just gotta hope we can eventually appeal literally everything to the supreme court to approve dictator abuela's executive orders :negative:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JosefStalinator posted:

The post-media reckoning will be focusing on whatever nothingburger scandal of the month the GOP finds on Hillary, endless congressional hearings on Benghazi/emails/Weiners/Cattle futures/Lesbian affairs.

And we will never have a functioning government because it means we'll never get a Congress that isn't controlled by stonewalling GOP types!

We just gotta hope we can eventually appeal literally everything to the supreme court to approve dictator abuela's executive orders :negative:

Yeah I have a feeling the GOP way of heading off civil war will be trying impeachment.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
For when people think racist white people are stupid and ignorant of history: cheerleaders reference the trail of tears to their opponents at a home game and even call it a part 2.

That means they knew what it was, knew it was about Native Americans, and could make all those connections.

Racist white people aren't stupid, they are just awful, and generally most white people are racist. So so many people had to see that sign beforehand and no one had a problem with it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Hey is that anywhere near Steubenville Ohio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah I have a feeling the GOP way of heading off civil war will be trying impeachment.

They don't even need to - people will tune out after Nov 8th, as most people's understanding of government begins and ends with "we elected a President". Everything that happens, or doesn't, after the election is Hillary's fault.

The democrats have to basically bide their time, hoping that by some miracle the GOP implodes before another recession hits and they can redistrict in 2020 and try and forge a house majority.

They're racing against time though, because the first big scandal/recession/terrorist attack/whatever that hurts the incumbent Dems will be seized upon and bring about Republican control of all three branches of government.

Sure demographics buy them time but if Donald loving Trump can be anywhere within 5 points of Hillary Clinton, then people are stupid enough to elect a Republican if anything but the best conditions aren't met. Let alone elect a Kasich-esq Trump-lite who will just cut taxes and do the same poo poo W did.

• Locked thread